Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extinction Rebellion or how not to win an argument

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

Bolloks. Environmental concerns are a very broad church. Trying to cast people with an interest in the environment in such a narrow way really is head in the sand stuff. If ever there was a movement which can have such mass appeal then environmentalism is probably it.

You're not picking up on the nuances there at all.

Firstly, EVERYONE has an interest in the environment, it's what we live in - so of course it's a broad church. Within that broad church there's people that drive electric cars and don't buy cling film, and there's the swampy mongs that jump on the roof of tube trains at rush hour.

Some people have a healthy respect of the environment and do all they can to minimise their impact - others have a fundamentalist extremist view of climate change and socio-politicise it in disruptive protest. Those people are the type of people - youngsters mainly - to which I refer. They're looking for a cause to fight. It's not relevant what the fight is, as long as it's something to give them meaning.

Totally agree with that.

Also, it's people who don't have to work (hard) for a living. I know thats going to wind up certain parties but it's true. The fact they demonstrated on an electric train and held up commuters shows the apathy they have with workers.

My two daughters, one with 5 kids and works in a care home, and the other who works god knows what hours driving a premix lorry don't have the time or are two knackered to go out demonstrating.

It's like CND and the Greenham Common women as eulogised by the Guardian.

People think everyone at Greenham Common was a hippy, but many were ordinary women who did the cooking, and whose husbands played golf and didn’t mind them coming because there were no men.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/20/greenham-common-nuclear-silos-women-protest-peace-camp

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
So the choices are...or just simply have a nice big war to get rid of a few billion carbon life forms.

Polarbear wrote:
My two daughters, one with 5 kids

Christ, your family doesn't believe in making things easier, does it?! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

An American comedian summed it up: most people are just interested in getting their kids to school on time and making sure there's enough money to pay for that after-school club... all they really need is just a little more spare cash.

Yes, I think the pollution in China is a really bad thing but am I really meant to peg that as a higher priority in my personal life than the more immediate well being of my family and friends - the whole monkeysphere thing? "But kids are starving in Africa!" and that should divert from the kids starving on my own country, my own town... hell, sometimes even my own street?!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
An American comedian summed it up: most people are just interested in getting their kids to school on time and making sure there's enough money to pay for that after-school club... all they really need is just a little more spare cash.

Bryan Callen perchance? I like him. Good comedian (for a Yank*), but surprisingly smart (for a non-intellectual). Gave a good interview with Eric Weinstein too. I think he's a pretty good representative for the "silent majority" in many ways.

*Is it me, or are American comedians beginning to surpass our own? They seem a bit less inclined to bow to PC bollox nowadays.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the fella Smile I wouldn't say "better" with US vs UK comedians I'd say they're just a bit further along the curve.

I've always thought a good metric for a comedian is to be able to confront difficult subjects under the guise of humour. (The jester being the only one at court able to make fun of the king.) That's why it's always very sad when some take the corporate shilling e.g. Jim Jefferies. Pre-sellout you could have said he was an Ozzie Bill Hicks, now? I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. Integrity > money.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Polarbear wrote:
My two daughters, one with 5 kids

Christ, your family doesn't believe in making things easier, does it?! Laughing

Totaally agree. Way over the top. Her only excuse in my view is that is two lots of twins but even so, despite her and her partner both working she is still a burden on society.

You want to hear what my youngest calls her when she sees her tax and NI deductions.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
*Is it me, or are American comedians beginning to surpass our own? They seem a bit less inclined to bow to PC bollox nowadays.

I'm not so sure about that.
Look up "Ricky Gervais speech at golden globes"

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
the whole monkeysphere thing? "But kids are starving in Africa!"

Surprised

EDIT: lol

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care enough for the environment: I possess one mobile phone and several chargers. My Carbon footprint could be lower.

Presumably all those on these protests have ditched their phones to save the environment so fair play to them.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

Presumably all those on these protests have ditched their phones to save the environment so fair play to them.

I pondered this as I drove to the local shop last night in my Nissan 2.5 Diesel pick-up for a four-pack and a bulb of garlic...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:05 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampies are back in force:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53987662

Quote:
Protester Karen Wildin, a 56-year-old tutor from Leicester, said: "I'm here today because I have serious concerns about the future of the planet - we need to put this above anything else.

"Never mind Covid, never mind A-levels, this is the biggest crisis facing us and we need to raise the message as loudly as possible.

"Not a lot has been done on this issue, everyone needs to hear the message."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008144808673

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2751646198450180&id=100008144808673

TL;DR: Self Proclaimed Feminist thinks violence is acceptable if peaceful means fail, and when violence is deployed - developers ripping down trees counts as violence in her book so yeah, nail bombs ahoy Thumbs Up

Quote:
Sarah Lunnon, a member of Extinction Rebellion, said: "The failure to act on this issue will have a catastrophic impact on the future of us and the generations to come.

"We want to occupy Parliament Square to make our voices heard. Of course we're in the middle of a pandemic but we're balancing the risk, this is the biggest issue facing us."

Sarah Lunnon - former Green Party Councillor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhVD5jWbaXs

Lots of scaremongering many overthrow capitalisms.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Swampies are back in force

They may be middle-class, gin-swilling, pan-sexual hypocrites, but at least they will be able to say 'I told you so...' whilst you loot their houses for dog-food.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their founder really ought to have named it Execution Rebellion

https://order-order.com/2020/09/02/exclusive-extinction-rebellion-founder-says-government-and-business-owners-should-have-a-bullet-put-through-their-head/

If a 'normal' person made such a statement they'd be in trouble for incitement but an extreme left wing green movement leader? that's OK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 03 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Sarah Lunnon - former Green Party Councillor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhVD5jWbaXs

Lots of scaremongering many overthrow capitalisms.

Sarah Luney more like

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 03 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Self Proclaimed Feminist thinks violence is acceptable if peaceful means fail, and when violence is deployed - developers ripping down trees counts as violence in her book so yeah, nail bombs ahoy Thumbs Up

I can respect that attitude, meaningful change only comes from the business end of a rifle.

Though the carbon footprint of that rifle.... Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 04 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Though the carbon footprint of that rifle.... Laughing

Very recyclable/biodegradable when they were made out of wood and steel. Hope they're using environmentally friendly nylon-polymer in guns these days Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 04 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12559571/extinction-rebellion-founder-mps-business-bullet/

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 05 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the printing press blockade.

No Suns, Times,Telegraph or Yorkshire Post on my lads paper round this morning. He's worried that these wanxxrs will lose him his job.

No mater how much I hate the Daily Fail, silencing a free press...... WTF

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:55 - 06 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

No Suns, Times,Telegraph or Yorkshire Post on my lads paper round this morning. He's worried that these wanxxrs will lose him his job.

Oh yeah, I read about that... eventually Wink

A stark reminder of the original thread title! They say they're concerned about the environment but the CO2 from burning all these bridges...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 06 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

They are watermelons; green on the outside, red on the inside.
When they say they think the media hasn't been reporting things in the right way, they mean the media should only be allowed to report their perspective and everyone else should be silenced.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:41 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see twat brain Abbott has jumped on the bandwagon.........

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:

I was feeling quite happy until you mentioned the unmentionable.

As an aside, my pink skipping rope is happy because the person who Captain Pugwash named his ship after has refused to appear on Strictly. Dance!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
toby1 wrote:

I was feeling quite happy until you mentioned the unmentionable.

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/590x/labour-diane-abbott-extinction-rebellion-latest-1332281.webp?r=1599472593129

Laughing

Seriously, watch the video:
https://news.sky.com/video/diane-abbott-direct-action-has-been-legal-since-the-suffragettes-12064961

Quote:
These are legal tactics and we don't want to talk as if it's NOT illegal to take direct action because direct action has been legal since the time of the suffragettes

Seriously, whhuuut? Laughing

Thick as pig shit.

Polarbear wrote:
As an aside, my pink skipping rope is happy because the person who Captain Pugwash named his ship after has refused to appear on Strictly. Dance!

Who what where now? Don't answer that...

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As an aside, my pink skipping rope is happy because the person who Captain Pugwash named his ship after has refused to appear on Strictly

When interviewed she said that it was because of her lack of rhythm. Shame I say. I would have loved to have seen her in a same-sex couple with Dawn Butler just for the arguments about who gets to dominate and who gets to be repressed...

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 07 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dotty old hippies or ...
https://t.co/cYDganCPOz?amp=1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 26 of 55