Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Frequent oil changes with cheap oil Vs synthetic

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Frequent oil changes with cheap oil Vs synthetic Reply with quote

On the engine of my bike is stamped 3000mi. Meaning change oil every 3000 miles. Its a 2005, takes 3.8-4 litres and at the time it was made it asks for 10w40 semi synth/dino oil.

Had me wondering, I figure there are 2 ways to go about it, which is best?

1. Change every 2500-3000 with cheap Halfords/Wilkos/Asdas own brand semi synthetic oil (just making sure not to use anything known to make MC clutches slip).

2. Change every 4000-4500 or so with proper motorcycle full synthetic stuff.

I change the filter at the same time as they cost about £4 for a Hi-Flo.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wot, 3000ml Laughing Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

6000 for bikes.
I think 125s get it more frequently but sometimes that's coz they do not use a filter and just have a screen to keep big lumps oot.

I can't be arsed with the phaphery so I fill with Castrate Racing 1 (fully syn) with new BMW filters plug washer and set the service reminder to 6 months or so.
If I've not clocked 6000 miles when the computer says... the service reminder gets reset to the next 6 months.
But I change every year just coz I'm scared. 🤣

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about you leave the servicing to someone who can read what it says on the engine? Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chortled i did. Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

3000ml, or 3 litres of oil. Fucking hell. Rolling Eyes

I change my 125 much more often, even though it has a normal filter as well as a strainer, but it's frequently pinned to the stop. That has 950ml on the side of the case, butr 1L is about right as it has a slightly larger cooler than stick.

I change the Viffer at whatevery the Haynes says. That's what I use the trip meter for.

I use whatever JASO MA2 is available. Usually about £20 for 5L.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always did 4000 miles or 12 months, whatever came first. Once did about 4500 miles before the oil change and the motorcycle did not explode. Thinking

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I average 8,000 miles between changes. Bikes don't seem to mind.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:01 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varadero 125 got a 1500 / monthly change. GSXR has had 2 changes, 1 filter since I got it.

It is due another one next weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important issue about engine oil changes is whether the oil stays 'in grade'. That means the oil viscosity (pour-ability) remains unchange over the service life of the oil.
That is a function of the way the molecules stick to each other or the bonds to creat a film. The film prevents metal rubbing on metal. Poo oil can present a poor weak film then metal can rub on metal.
Heat effects this but more significantly other compounds can be detrimental to the oil viscosity.
Acids from combustion by-product and oxidation from reaction with air and heat.
Synthetic oils stay in grade far better than standard oils do.
The limiting factor then is the pollutants in the oil that can eat the engine need to be removed.
The simplest method is to remove the oil and fill with fresh oil.
Bike engines run a much higher rpm than car engines so there is more mechanical stress on the oils too.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:31 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming this isn't the 125, because 3L is a very large oil capacity for a 125.

Either way, people like you are why workshop manuals and service schedules exist. Get the book, do what it says. Don't try to be clever with workarounds for different kind of oil, you've already failed at being clever.
EazyDuz This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
Ya'll retarded, Im telling you it says 3000mi (miles).

Just post a picture of it, or tell us what motorcycle it is. Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DWGtXpYUc

This guy cooks oil and then freezes it and compares viscosity. Surprisingly the basic synthetic did really well.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:36 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
Ya'll retarded, Im telling you it says 3000mi (miles).

3000ml is not enough for my bike. It takes (as stated in user manual and Haynes) 3.6 without a filter change or 3.8 with filter change. Thats litres. For some reason Suzuki stuck on the mileage in between changes.

In almost 30 years around fuck knows how many bikes I've owned and mates have had me work on - I've never seen it. Not fucking once. Model, year, and a picture, because I'm calling horseshit on that otherwise.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 06:53 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Frequent oil changes with cheap oil Vs synthetic Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
my bike

More details are required.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:55 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GPZ500 motor takes 3 litres every 3k miles and a filter every 6.

I would personally preferr cheap oil changed more frequently than expensive oil changed less frequently. I did this on my old GPZ and that motor is still running in a friends survival bike 80k miles later. Cams look like new. The rest of it is pretty hanging.

My VFR750 takes 3.1 litres every 9,000 miles. I just use halfords own brand 10w-40 semi-synthetic engine oil (not the motorcycle labelled stuff).

Both bikes have this volume cast into the RHS carankcase/cover.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Suzuki has 3300 ml stamped next to the filler.

That's millilitres, not miles.

What bike do you have?

As for the oil, I am a great believer in frequent changes with Supermarket SemiSynth.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:30 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, OP.... Jeez.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:31 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to add, why would the Japanese use miles? Even Triumph would probably stamp KM IF the service schedule for any bike was ever stamped on the cases, which it isn't.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change the ZZR oil and filter yearly, after about 4-5k, just after the MOT.
It gets reasonable oil, this year being fully synthetic Castrol. 75k miles on, still runs well. I could leave it longer but yearly seems fine, probably not harmed in the slightest by the fact the bike very rarely does journeys of less than 40 miles - 275 miles per trip being the norm (my commute).
I did it this morning actually!
Not sure why Kawasaki have two sump plugs and such a faffy routine to measure the level though...

Ps Haynes suggest 6k - that seems a bit far for me.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Frequent oil changes with cheap oil Vs synthetic Reply with quote

Oh - and really?...

EazyDuz wrote:
On the engine of my bike is stamped 3000mi. Meaning change oil every 3000 miles.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, post photo or GTF.

C'mon... Let's put this baby to bed.
Very Happy

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:03 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/lqoUSpN.jpg

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Bike engines run a much higher rpm than car engines so there is more mechanical stress on the oils too.

You'd think, right?

In some places this is true - con-rod bearings, crankshaft bearings etc. But in other places the stresses on parts are worst at idle.

The oil film thickness is determined by 3 things - viscosity, load and speed. If you speed up a moving part, it will tend to form a thicker oil film. Slow it down and the oil film gets thinner, allowing more shear stress to pass across the oil film into the opposing surface. This then promotes wear of the surfaces and shearing of the oil.

One thing to add on doing more frequent oil changes - every time you do a change is an opportunity to cock something up. Cross-thread or overtighten a plug, introduce a contaminant, put the wrong oil in and so on. The right oil over the right service interval will see the bike out. To find out what the right oil and interval are, check your manual (rather than any castings on the block Wink).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2