Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

most durable allrounder

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:56 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: most durable allrounder Reply with quote

Whats the best do it all bike guys?
Able to laugh off winter crud, decent on a motorway, bearable summer b road scratcher, able to do the commute or your weekly shop,easy to handle at 15mph or 90mph,can manage a summer holiday tour, light enough to push round but heavy enough to not get blown around in gales,pleasing to the eye but not top of the thieves list.
Any reasonable budget acceptable.

Not swapping bikes yet but i know my mt07 doesnt cut most of these situations!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vfr800 or crossrunner. There are more exciting bikes but these do everything well and despite being a little neglected over winter mine has come out showing almost no signs at all, and it was really caked in salt for a good portion of the winter. I had to chisel it off after a couple of longer rural runs. Build quality is superb. Fuel economy isn't so great thoigh.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2008+ Fireblade. Seriously.

Accurate descriptors: Comfortable, civilised, extremely well built, lightweight, fast, nimble, stable, absolutely reliable. Fun.

Great fuel economy (55mpg+) on a steady run.

There are plenty about - excellent examples start at £5k. Bargain.

I've had VFRs in the past. I honestly don't see the point of those vs. the Fireblade. They're heavier, less powerful, less agile, more complicated, more difficult to home service, no more comfortable, no more reliable (possibly less), and no more practical (all you need is a Ventura rack).

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for crossrunner. Unless you want to go off road, bmw 800 or triumph 800 win. Forget Africa twin. It's a great bike, but a bag of shit when the going gets awkward..its off road setting doesn't match the bmw or triumph. As for the dct..no!.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex a... A cb1000r ..as much as I love the moody looks, comfort wins..fireblade is too sporty!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
I honestly don't see the point of those vs. the Fireblade.

My back won't let me ride for more than about half an hour on most "proper" sports bikes. It's a total no deal for the older, or more broken amongst us. I can ride the Viffer for hours, piss breaks or fuel being the usual reason for stopping. Might be something the OP wants to think about. I'd avoid the older 750's for town work though, they drink.

CBR600F is a good choice if you don't want the weight of a VFR or the riding position of a Fireblade. Solid machines, many many 100K+ examples floating around that are going strong, with some on batshit crazy numbers.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:35 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned a bike that was built as well as my VFR is. It's getting on a bit now, but it's rock solid. I'll be sad to see it go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I've never owned a bike that was built as well as my VFR is. It's getting on a bit now, but it's rock solid. I'll be sad to see it go.

That's pretty much what's endeared my crossrunner is to me. It was supposed to be a temporary thing but it does everything so well that I've ended up keeping it. My riding is varied between commuting, short hoons through technical sections and plenty full days in the Twisties and it always works. It's fast enough to be fun but not so much so that I can't exploit it.

I've test ridden a few things now as potential replacements and whilst some of them made me giggle more they've not been enough to tempt me away from the Honda as there's usually a compromise to be made.

It really depends what you want from your bike and what sort of riding you enjoy.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All rounder? Sounds both boring and just a series of bad compromises to me tbh!

Shaft won't believe I'm saying this, but if you want to commute to work or go shopping or carry your fishing gear etc, just go out and buy one of those 300cc scooters. It'll do all that cleanly easily and with simple maintenance requirements.

For those of you who are going to bitch moan about needing 100bhp+ to commute to work safely and in comfort, prove it! A scooter like a Forza etc will do the job just as well.

If you want a big comfy tourer for long adventures buy one. Same goes for a hooligan thrash tool, dedicated track bike, classic or retro, and off roaders etc.

There ain't a bike that's good at everything, never was! The ones that blurr the lines like a VFR are compromise bikes and will never get you excited or thrill. Worse still is that there's better bikes for most uses once you know what those uses are.

Only great thing about VFR's IMO is build quality and seeing the original and best mk1 beat those ugly nasty slabbie 750's on the track.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Best all rounder, not a perfect bike thread. Sure, there's compromises, but only OP knows what ones they are willing to make, what priorities there are for them. A lot of the compromises are listed in this thread. Viffers are weighty, Blades put you in a proper Shitting Frog position, Crossrunners are bloody ugly, scooters make your vagina lips flap in the wind....

stevo as b4 wrote:
Only great thing about VFR's IMO is build quality

Easily the best thing about them after the sound of a V4 through a decent can.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:24 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprint st.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's a modern bike that does everything on your list. I could be wrong, but most of them are ugly, so there's that. Laughing
In your shoes I would probably opt for a big, old, faired bike (probably Yamaha FJ/FJR), but I couldn't say that would be an entirely rational decision even though it ticks most of the boxes...

Summer B-road scratching comes in many forms. Nothing but a dedicated sports bike will be able to keep up with the sports bike lot, if that's what you want to do. However, on an empty B-road with good conditions and visibility and sweeping bends, most bikes could handle 90-100mph in shortish bursts. OTOH, some roads are like the surface of the moon (ahem, Oxfordshire) and you would be in the best position with a supermoto and will be stuck to 125 speeds (single-track country roads). But you probably want an upright with straightish bars and stiffer shocks if B-roads are your thing. However, on long motorway journeys you want comfortable shocks and a fairing. A lot of compromises to make.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:32 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Only great thing about VFR's IMO is build quality and seeing the original and best mk1 beat those ugly nasty slabbie 750's on the track.

The 800 has disadvantages... notably weight and the sliding caliper linked brakes. The suspension is not top drawer either...

However, everything else about it is awesome. It's fast enough, the engine has loads of character. It looks quite nice considering it's 'comfortable'. It goes round corners better than it has any right to. It is comfortable. It's easy to maneuvre at low speed. It has something that gets under your skin. I'm not one for heavy bruiser bikes as you can see from my bike history, but there's something about it that makes you love it. I've heard owners talk about it before and dismissed it, but it's definitely there.

It's a really really good bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Nope, doesn't have to be.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

That's pretty much what's endeared my crossrunner is to me. It was supposed to be a temporary thing but it does everything so well that I've ended up keeping it. My riding is varied between commuting, short hoons through technical sections and plenty full days in the Twisties and it always works. It's fast enough to be fun but not so much so that I can't exploit it.

I've test ridden a few things now as potential replacements and whilst some of them made me giggle more they've not been enough to tempt me away from the Honda as there's usually a compromise to be made.

It really depends what you want from your bike and what sort of riding you enjoy.

I was beginning to get the impression that no one made good all-rounders anymore, and you had to look for something older to find one, but seems there's hope yet.

No bike is going to be perfect for anyone straight out of the crate. But with the right base to start with, something near to perfect for an individual can be achieved.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
OTOH, some roads are like the surface of the moon (ahem, Oxfordshire) and you would be in the best position with a supermoto and will be stuck to 125 speeds (single-track country roads).

Road bike suspension can be made to cope with a surprising degree of poor surfaces. It means spending a bit, as manufacturers don't tend to put top flight sussies on them from new, but it is possible to have a road bike that copes with all but the very worst of what our roads throw at us.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzr of any vintage and engine size would fit the bill.

as would vfr or blackbird.

mate has been running about on an aprilia futura for a couple of years now very merrily.

I guess if you need a bike for everything there's only a couple of questions... if it'll go off road at any time ever, you'll need an adventure bike of some sort. if it never will, a sports tourer is your ticket.

why are you struggling with the mt07? what is it not cutting?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Sprint st.

Also a good option but not as well built as the VFR IMO. Do like riding my mates though, performance wise it's maybe slightly ahead of the VFR but not a huge difference. I'd be more than happy with one as an only bike.

What I will say about the VFR is that it's a bike you come to appreciate after you've done a few miles on it. I wasn't blown away when I first got it, actually wondered if I'd made a mistake. However, after i got to know it and how to exploit it I became quite attached to it.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:13 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
zzr of any vintage and engine size would fit the bill.

as would vfr or blackbird.

mate has been running about on an aprilia futura for a couple of years now very merrily.

I guess if you need a bike for everything there's only a couple of questions... if it'll go off road at any time ever, you'll need an adventure bike of some sort. if it never will, a sports tourer is your ticket.

why are you struggling with the mt07? what is it not cutting?

never owned a bike that is so poorly built and demands cleaning after every damp ride, thens theres windblast but thats my fault for not thinking when i brought it! Also it seems on its limit with the back skipping when cornoring at moderate (40mph or less) type speeds.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
Also it seems on its limit with the back skipping when cornoring at moderate (40mph or less) type speeds.

That suggests something's wrong with it. Should have no trouble hooning it about.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding my vstrom 650 is a great all rounder

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:36 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way:

I don't think that anything with long travel 'off road' style suspension can ever be an all rounder. Sure, you can go on a trackday if you want, but it will be awful.

The best all rounders I've seen recently have been the GSX-S1000F and the Z1000SX. The Zed edges it in the touring stakes for having panniers and a bigger tank range, but the GSX edges it in the sporting stakes for having more power and being something like 30kg lighter...

I rode a Zed the other day, and it was immense. Comfortable with good wind protection, but it went around corners and when you opened the throttle it was warp speed fast. I see one in my not so distant future...

Oh, and the brakes. Wow. I wanted to buy the bike there and then just for the brakes.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your intended uses, if you do one or two long tours most years e.g. Europe it's going to be different best option to someone wanting fast days out with mates and a couple of weekends away.
Also does it need to look smart or are you happy with a durable shit box if it keeps going with minimal maintenance.

Good suggestions so far including Vstrom and VFR, also the MT07 is a good all rounder.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:13 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
the MT07 is a good all rounder.

I think the MT07 would lack the guts a bit for me.
But people have different ideas of what an all-rounder should actually be capable of too.
I only consider the road side of things. I'm not really interested in a bike that's great for the track (although I've seen and heard of even FZS1000s giving a good account of themselves here), nor off-roading, even on a gravel track. Negotiating a gravel car park on occasion maybe Laughing

I've thought if I wanted to upgrade to a modern version of my own bike, the Z1000SX might be the logical contender. But then I upgraded the performance and suspension on mine, and now the Zed actually seems the lesser of the two.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is though it also depends on how many bikes you want, are prepared to own, and have space for?

I suppose some people don't like or want a bike that's too good at any one thing, or maybe they see jack of all trades bikes as better value/less extreme/more comfortable and dependable.

Personally I'd not want a bigger or heavier than I need bike for commuting, off roading, or track days.

The only place I see a big cc and stable geometry, well faired and weather protected bike with lots of screen, room to move about on, or attach luggage to is touring.

I'd probably love a Pan European or FJR etc if I did 3-4 2000mile trips a year and nearly always had luggage and a passenger. If 70% of my use was touring exploring Europe, I wouldn't be seen dead on a Fireblade.

Likewise if 80% of all my riding was a 20mile commute 5days a week and I liked to be off bikes and in a nice big car all weekend, then I'd be much happier with a twist and go scooter and a top box.

I'd rather have the perfect machine for my primary use, and it be totally unsuitable for the 15-20% of any other use I'd have for it.

In fact I'd rather space and cost allowing have two cheap near perfect for each job vehicles than one expensive but never completely satisfying compromise bike.

So being the guy with a cheap used scooter, secondhand FJR1300 and say a Jaguar XF would be infinitely better for me than having a big expensive all rounder that I have to make wear many different uniforms.

Im not against a new vehicle or spending all of any available budget on one bike, but if I did that it would need to be the perfect vehicle for the biggest primary use.

I've never liked all rounder bikes or cars, and have always seen them as vehicles for people who want something dull, comfortable and never extreme.

It'd be like always buying say a shaft drive bike and paying loads more for it, if you only do 50miles a week, and the bike only weighs 100kg, and you have a centre stand. It'd be pointless, as would owning a GS1200S adventure bike, and off corporate Ewen&Charlie outfits if all I did was ride 5miles to the pub on bike night etc. Likewise riding 200miles down the motorway on a KTM Exc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3