Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Forza 300

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Honda Forza 300 Reply with quote

Hi,
Today i took a Honda Forza 300 for a test ride at Blackpool Honda, Ive been looking for something more practical to commute on, i took it down the 55 first and thought this seems sluggish till I look down and saw it was reading 70mph, off at the Garstang Rd turn off and into town around Stanley Park, no gears and clutch to worry about, but still found I nearly tried to use the back brake as a clutch. so after arriving back at the dealership Im now deciding what to do, keep the 500 or take the scoot.
Any one else had this dilemma?.
Mark

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=324038

Plus you can read my review in the thread further down this page.

If you like it, buy it, forget all this 'that's not a real bike' nonsense and enjoy it for what it is, fuss free, enjoyable biking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:04 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traded in a ZRX1100 for a new Forza 300. Difficult choice but the Forza is brilliant at everything, especially touring. Never thought that a 5 grand bike could be so good.

I still do have proper bikes though as scoots lack an element of fun but they are great all rounders.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, decided to give it a try, will look next summer for a motorcycle for nice days, pick it up next Saturday, hopefully it will be all good.
Mark

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:33 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine since new for 3 years, really good and with the Honda topbox has massive storage
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't an adv scoot better?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Isn't an adv scoot better?

Define better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moarr powerz ...and handling and stuff.... wasn't it 8k of awesome scooter?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Moarr powerz ...and handling and stuff.... wasn't it 8k of awesome scooter?

So it's 3 grand dearer, has an electronically controlled manual gearbox and clutch (sounds unnecessarily complicated/expensive to fix) a chain that needs maintaining and some sort of pretend off road capability.

How is any of that better for somebody who is just commuting to work?

Edit: I get the more power bit, I would've spent my 5K on a used Tmax/Silver Wing, but it's not my money.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol is a spec/bling/top of the range Queen.

If an SP/SPR Fireblade came out with some extra trick shiny bits, no matter how good or capable the std model is he wouldn't see it as good enough or desirable.

He recently tried to say that a proper supermoto has to be a non road legal race bike that could not be bought new in supermoto configuration, and needed to be hand built from scratch.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Kentol is a spec/bling/top of the range Queen.

If an SP/SPR Fireblade came out with some extra trick shiny bits, no matter how good or capable the std model is he wouldn't see it as good enough or desirable.

He recently tried to say that a proper supermoto has to be a non road legal race bike that could not be bought new in supermoto configuration, and needed to be hand built from scratch.

The X-ADV is an amusing branding exercise, essentially an NC750X with chunky tyres and some radical(ish) bodywork, the same NC750 that everybody says is the most boring thing in the world.

I quit often encounter one on my ride home from work and yes, he is quicker than me in a straight line (he should be, his bike is 18 years younger, with a larger engine) but I still sit next to him at the lights, because I can filter just as well as he can.

My bike cost 10% of his Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No help to OP, but I've been out pillion on a Forza 300 this weekend, and I didn't like it tbh. Had a go on it after two up also. I've always struggled with big long heavy scooters, though the Forza isn't that heavy or unmanageable really like the bigger ones.

Its no good for a 6'2 pillion, and all the weight is over the back wheel which makes it feel nervous and vague at the front. Couple that to the slight delay in the auto clutch take up and it's not confidence inspiring in town traffic.

Then again what the fuck do I know, as the only bikes that are comfortable, and easy to ride for me are tall trailies where you sit much more over the front end, and have lots of control with big wide bars and plentiful steering lock.

I wouldn't swap say a DT125R for a Forza, and even less so for something like a T-max.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
No help to OP, but I've been out pillion on a Forza 300 this weekend, and I didn't like it tbh. Had a go on it after two up also. I've always struggled with big long heavy scooters, though the Forza isn't that heavy or unmanageable really like the bigger ones.

Its no good for a 6'2 pillion, and all the weight is over the back wheel which makes it feel nervous and vague at the front. Couple that to the slight delay in the auto clutch take up and it's not confidence inspiring in town traffic.

Then again what the fuck do I know, as the only bikes that are comfortable, and easy to ride for me are tall trailies where you sit much more over the front end, and have lots of control with big wide bars and plentiful steering lock.

I wouldn't swap say a DT125R for a Forza, and even less so for something like a T-max.

Like everything, you get a handle on the best way to ride them.

With a proper CVT, you get used to never completely shutting the throttle; at a standstill, you hold it at just above tickover, to ensure the transmission is engaged, like holding a clutch at the biting point. If you really want to launch, you hold it open a bit more, with the rear brake applied, then time releasing the brake to going WOT and you take off like a rocket from a bottle.

I thought my XL600R was brilliant in traffic, as you say, big wide bars, weight on the front, grunty motor, a real pojnt and squirt missile; absolutely shit over 60mph, never had any confidence in handling at speed.

As you have said elsewhere, if you want the ultimate performance from a bike, buy one that's designed to do what you want it to do, but anything else you ask of it will be compromised.

I happen to think, after years of owning all sorts of bikes, a maxi scooter could be a good all round compromise, because I've lived with one and went into it thinking the worst.

BTW, I've had a 16 stone bloke on the back of my Wing and had to do an emergency evasive, no problem, didn't even think about it. Maybe the bigger scoots have better suspension.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's definitely an adaptation of riding style needed compared to riding almost any other bike I'd say. I havnt ridden a twist and go for 6 years until yesterday, but the light small but twitchy little 50-125cc ones are what I'm used to.

I get your point about pre- loading the transmission when near stationary, and also they tend to really drop into turns too quickly unless you have the throttle open, and on the open road I found the weight distribution and maybe it's also the small wheels or the long wheelbase, you have to kind of swing it into bends as they don't progressively lean like a bike.

I agree that trail bikes are bloody horrible for over 60-70mph and for long straight roads, or even when it's very windy as sitting up like a sail blows you all over the place. But in stop start traffic, slow speed maneuvering or point and squirt down twisty country lanes, I pretty much love them.

As I said right tool for the primary task is the best option, but I don't need anything other than a fun tool, and like to think I could still off road too.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Last scoots I rode must have been over 25 years ago, Vespa and Lambretta, the scoot is aimed at stress free riding, easy to clean and maintain. I think it should be fine, time will tell. I will look next year for a used big bike for those sunny days. Another main reason to swap is i get numb hands easily especially my right hand, tried grip puppies and different holds but seems to be getting worse as I get older, might be because they have been singles and twins.
Thanks for the replies.
Mark

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:17 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forza 300 has basically the same engine as the SH300, but the frame is significantly different - I'd expect it to be more rigid - and it's also a bunch heavier.

For me the tradeoff would be on ratio of higher speed roads to city traffic. The Forza would be slightly better suited to longer spans on NSL, and the SH300 for filtering through city traffic. Though if you spend a lot of time at NSL or a road where you can reliably make that speed or higher, a geared bike can easily be a better choice.

I don't ride my SH300 any more, until scooter crime drops, as I've been bike-jacked once and chased for my scooter a second time. Main downside of Hornet as an alternative is lower tank range and about double fuel spend.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Forza 300 for a couple of days on holiday, my first experience of a scooter. I found it really easy to ride and did most of my riding on it two up. It had no trouble carrying the weight of two and the handling, I found, was absolutely fine. No trouble wanging down twisty Spanish roads.

The riding position didn't quite suit me though so I had some upper back pain but that's subjective. The only other thing they I didn't like was that the suspension was a bit crashy over rough surfaces and speed bumps. Other then that I enjoyed riding it. Tons of storage space, nice and easy. Changed my opinion of scooters actually, although I'm not quite ready to own one yet!

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
So to update my Forza 300 experience, I've had it for 2 months now and done 1200 miles on it, is it what I thought it would be?, well yes and no.
MPG 84-87 every week on my commute which includes going over the beacon twice a day, flat roads going easy 88-93, today's ride to Blackpool at 70mph on the motorway it sat at 82mpg so all pretty good.
Storage is great, loads of it, comfort is ok but i get a sore back midway up after a while on it ,not sure why, maybe the upright position or maybe im getting old.
No numb hands or fingers from vibrations, which is something i suffered with on the 300 and my 500 single and twin, now the suspension.. if the road surface is good its fine if not the front bottoms out easily, i weigh 106kg and once im sat on it i am lucky if theirs 2.5 inches of travel left, the rear is livable but seems to be soft or stiff when adjusted, too soft and it can bottom out also (front and rear checked with a zip tie).
Engine is loosening up and is nippy, 0-40 before you know it.
After looking into it front suspension upgrade from YSS including emulators,springs,spacers and adjustable preload caps comes to £180
and the rear shocks are around £300.
I do like the bike but i miss the bigger bike so im stuck, most singles and twins cause my hands and the right one especially to go numb fairly quickly, inline fours are screamy and mpg drops to 40-50mpg it seems, so im not sure where to go from here, chance the upgrade on the scoot or maybe try an NC750 (good mpg, low revving, handle my weight better). Jus to add my commute roads can be shitty and not that good in some parts, i even thought of the CRF250L but it may be to tall. Also, its so easy to clean, no more on knees trying to get shit out of the nooks and crannies, no chain maintenance either.
any advice or opinions please.
Thanks
Mark

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without hijacking the post, which is the smallest big scoot? The Honda 125 I recently saw was surprisingly large for a 125. The burgman 400 always seemed practical as hell. The xadv (if it rides like a dct Africa twin) is now off my list of bikes I'd like to have. Liking new things isn't the same as being able to afford them!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:11 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really care about mpg? I mean that 50mpg in line 4 and 84mpg single/twin along with the vibes... I'd rather go for the most enjoyable. Sounds like this isn't that enjoyable for you.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full suspension upgrade for under £500 seems like reasonable value.
what is it that you actually miss about a 'normal' bike?

If your history is your sig, the biggest bike you've owned is a CB500 and, with the greatest respect, they are for from the best thing on the planet and I would take an educated guess that, apart from the suspension, your Forza probably does virtually everything at least as well.

If you want a little bit 'more' why not go for a bigger scooter?

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy i need the mpg for commuting, funny thing is i like it sometimes and not others.
Shaft, yes my experience is limited to those bikes, i miss the way the bigger wheels role over the bumps, i planned on keeping the scoot and bying a used big bike next year, i wasnt sure if that was expensive for the shock upgrades, i might just try the front first. I do find cars tend not to give me the same space as my bikes but yes it does everything bar the bumps as well, maybe i am still getting my head round its a scooter
Thanks

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
Shaft, yes my experience is limited to those bikes, i miss the way the bigger wheels role over the bumps, i planned on keeping the scoot and bying a used big bike next year, i wasnt sure if that was expensive for the shock upgrades, i might just try the front first.

I'm not sure the suspension change is going to make a significant difference. You may have more travel on the front, but the rear still needs to do a lot of work since the engine goes up and down too, so unless you get out of your seat on those bumpy bits it could still be a rattly ride.

I wouldn't expect YSS or Hagon shocks to perform better than stock apart from being more closely adjusted to your range, which you could probably get by adding a spacer to the stock shock springs. It's not hard to open the top of the fork legs to test out - they're held in with an interior circlip, exposed when you push down on the cap while gripping the stanchion, if it's like the SH300. The fork legs can be removed easily enough if you take off the front wheel and mudguard, and have tools that can reach the two nuts attaching them to the steering stem. No major fairing teardown necessary, on the SH300 at least.

I've replaced rear shocks with Hagons on a couple of SH300s due to leakage and in one case seizure on one side. Definitely an improvement on an 6+ year old shock, but not sure it was as good as new, and I've had two SH300s from new.

It does seem to me that you may be happier with one of the NC750s, but it also seems that trying to save on mpg by buying newer, more efficient bikes is a bit of a false economy, depreciation buys you a lot of fuel. I was looking at a YBR250 as an alternative commuter in part because it has a 19L fuel tank, it's the constant refuelling that irritates me. But perhaps the vibrations wouldn't work out, I don't know.

caljay
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:32 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Honda Forza Steering wobbles. Reply with quote

Hi, is anyone on here experience a wobbling or vibration in the steering of their Honda Forza 300 2019? What it could be causing this issue?

I would like to buy a new one but from the reviews seems that this issue is common on this scooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1BWJivtI9s&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1aekCQq5t9h9S9hJD1xaO75dvix7FP-qWUaDVquOPMgOTWNAPsOFuzuZE

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had occasional bad wobble on SH300 at 70mph when there was too much weight too far back, in the top-box. Pretty much the same engine, but quite a different frame, so of limited relevance.

Scooters have more frame flex generally than big bikes, if there's an oscillation, there's more bend for it to feed into the steering. Also, with rear suspension having to move the engine along with everything else, undulations in the road in the middle of a corner can cause a bit of sea-sickness.

Some people are just the wrong weight for some bikes. Often it comes down to weight distribution.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 200 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2