Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best chain lube - Tested

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Best chain lube - Tested Reply with quote

If you've not seen this channel before I'd recommend it. He tests a lot of things and this time it was chain lube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPYdcbcAe0

Cliffs:

- Each product tested for rust prevention, roller friction (less is better), splatter and grit (less is better)

- Plain old gear oil wins overall, scoring high in rust prevention and roller friction.

- Oxford Mint dry weather lube comes in second, scoring good against rust, splatter and grit but not so good against friction.

- Muc Off ceramic chain lube is very impressive in roller friction (lowest out of all products) and splatter (again lowest of the bunch) but fails miserably at rust prevention and grit. Came in 3rd

WD40 was next to useless as was cooking spray Laughing He just threw that in the test to see how it compares with chain oils vs a household oil.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:54 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Best chain lube - Tested Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
If you've not seen this channel before I'd recommend it. He tests a lot of things and this time it was chain lube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPYdcbcAe0

Cliffs:

- Each product tested for rust prevention, roller friction (less is better), splatter and grit (less is better)

- Plain old gear oil wins overall, scoring high in rust prevention and roller friction.

- Oxford Mint dry weather lube comes in second, scoring good against rust, splatter and grit but not so good against friction.

- Muc Off ceramic chain lube is very impressive in roller friction (lowest out of all products) and splatter (again lowest of the bunch) but fails miserably at rust prevention and grit. Came in 3rd

WD40 was next to useless as was cooking spray Laughing He just threw that in the test to see how it compares with chain oils vs a household oil.

I'll stick with chainsaw oil through the scotoiler.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottoiler or PD Oiler for me. When I lay the bikes up for winter, I paint the oil onto the chain to prevent surface rust.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:30 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you watch FortNine as well Very Happy I really like his channel...

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something very punchable about him.

He does some useful vids, talks some bollocks in others.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
There is something very punchable about him.

He does some useful vids, talks some bollocks in others.

He looks like he could be Tarantinos son

https://media.npr.org/assets/artslife/movies/2009/08/tarantinofa-3b0dc6eaf870250bc12b177cf7543928bd897725-s800-c85.jpg

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sticking to Rock Oil chain Lube...

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a single dry chain lube tested there?

I use Wurth High Performance Dry Chain Lube only.

Because it's German and it's the best. Make of that what you want Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff from local shop

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
There is not a single dry chain lube tested there?

Yes, there was Oxford Dry Lube.

I use Gear Oil + Chainsaw oil in a 3:2 mix (or 2:3 mix for winter).
Striples chain is on 30k miles and hasn't warn much.....but I do use a lot of lube....merp.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine once tried to not use any chain lube at all. He put a brand new chain on the bike and replaced the chain once it started to look like a EKG graph.

Replacing the chain a bit sooner, while not spending any money (and time) on the lube, came slightly more cost effective, than regularly cleaning and lubricating the chain. That being said, we (continentals) only ride when the weather is nice and avoid riding motorcycles in winter.

One Ball 1971
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:10 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Chameleon chain oiler, which I'm pretty impressed with.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:34 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz, NutsyUK

Both you noobs should know that anyone can put anything on the internet, and it's not regulated or fact checked.

Also it's worth noting that some chain lube manufacturers recommend you put wet chain lube on when the chain is hot, and then cover it in wax once it's cooled down. That's what I did for years, and I've only ever replaced chains and sprockets on bikes I've just bought.

Youtube is a great medium, and there is some decent stuff out there. This guy might be a lubrication expert for all I know, but it's just worth covering that he could well be talking nonsense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wurth dry lube is great when the weather is nice but I found it had to apply it constantly in winter or the chain just rusted. I now use an auto oiler with gear oil

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
EazyDuz, NutsyUK

Both you noobs should know that anyone can put anything on the internet, and it's not regulated or fact checked.

Also it's worth noting that some chain lube manufacturers recommend you put wet chain lube on when the chain is hot, and then cover it in wax once it's cooled down. That's what I did for years, and I've only ever replaced chains and sprockets on bikes I've just bought.

Youtube is a great medium, and there is some decent stuff out there. This guy might be a lubrication expert for all I know, but it's just worth covering that he could well be talking nonsense.

Then watch and decide for yourself. He's no shill. When he tests other things like earplugs, helmets and jackets he often finds the mid or low priced options work the best. I'd be more sceptical if the most expensive lube won the test but no, gear oil is the best all rounder.
Could all be a conspiracy though, he's a Reptillian who helped fake the moon landing etc

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:42 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:

Could all be a conspiracy though, he's a Reptillian who helped fake the moon landing etc

Did I say conspiracy? No. did I say shill? No. In fact, the suggestion mildly offends me, but it's not like you were to know that.

No, that's NOT what I'm saying. What I'm saying is he might just suffer from Dunning Krueger.

*cough* (3000mile oil changes) *cough*

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MarJay"]
EazyDuz wrote:

*cough* (3000mile oil changes) *cough*

Huh? I was right

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1042330/Suzuki-Vl800.html?page=545

Not comfortable leaving semi synth in there for 3500 miles. 2000 miles is too soon, 3000 is the sweet spot Rolling Eyes
You're easily offended, paper thin skin

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:26 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:

Not comfortable leaving semi synth in there for 3500 miles. 2000 miles is too soon, 3000 is the sweet spot Rolling Eyes
You're easily offended, paper thin skin

None of those are 3000 nor 3000 apart?

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
The Wurth dry lube is great when the weather is nice but I found it had to apply it constantly in winter or the chain just rusted. I now use an auto oiler with gear oil

I've still got a can of that, I tried it for a while but I didn't get on with it very well. Keeping it handy for other lube jobs.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
kgm wrote:

I've still got a can of that, I tried it for a while but I didn't get on with it very well. Keeping it handy for other lube jobs.

Pro's of dry lube:

- Long reapplication intervals
- Adequate against rust
- Not much splatter

Cons:

- Not great at reducing friction
- Dirt/grit will stick to it easily
- Better products out there for less money

A runny product will always overall be better than a 'dry' product, simply because it runs and gets where it needs to be more easily.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:01 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people not know that Fort Nine is a dealership over in Canada somewhere? The kid on the channel is just the current face of it, and they're (unurprisingly) just flogging you stuff. It's like watching a 10-15 minute long PC World advert, but with bikes and more polish to it.

Last edited by ThatDippyTwat on 09:24 - 21 Apr 2019; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:26 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
Pro's of dry lube:

- Long reapplication intervals
- Adequate against rust
- Not much splatter

Cons:

- Not great at reducing friction
- Dirt/grit will stick to it easily
- Better products out there for less money

A runny product will always overall be better than a 'dry' product, simply because it runs and gets where it needs to be more easily.

Pro's of dry lube:

- Long reapplication intervals - Re-apply at every full tank of fuel.
- Adequate against rust - Not really.
- Not much splatter - Depends on what nozzle is fitted to the can and how it is applied.

Cons:

- Not great at reducing friction - Just as good as oil grease when applied properly and regularly.
- Dirt/grit will stick to it easily - Wut? That is one of the main reasons to use a dry lube as 'dry' shit will not stick to it. (as easily)
- Better products out there for less money - A matter of opinion and what you can afford and for what you use it for. Once a year several times a day.

I don't like your pro-con list. Smile

If you can afford it an oiler works best. The principle employed is that the oil film is continuously replaced and dirt/wear particles drop/drip off.
The trick is to meter the oil feed to prevent over-wetting/waste and ensure the lubricant is replaced.
Oilers use sort-of thinner vis lube than 'Chain Lube' so they can flow.

They are certainly not fit and forget and the chain should be checked for lube just as often as if you were manually lubing.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:04 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay, Im not a noob to the internet, having been using it since 93...

Anyway I realise FortNine is a shop in canada, And this guy makes motorbike videos that sometimes feature products sold at the shop with links to buy it at their shop.

But if you go through his videos you realise its a mainly 2 man team. Ryan and the guy behind the camera who also does much of the editing.

They might get the video budget from the shop. But its not a simple infomercial channel for the FortNine shop.

Go through the videos, theyre some really nice bike reviews and some amazing quality productions that match that of Top Gear... Ryans whit actually works sometimes and theyre enjoyable to watch....

Do I take every single thing they say at face value? No. But i dont take any single persons view at fact value when it comes to things as wide reaching as biking or the like.

And also the only thing I actually said here is, Oh you watch FortNine too, I like his videos....... And from that you decided to throw some insults.... Wow.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:10 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Do people not know that Fort Nine is a dealership over in Canada somewhere? The kid on the channel is just the current face of it, and they're (unurprisingly) just flogging you stuff. It's like watching a 10-15 minute long PC World advert, but with bikes and more polish to it.

It really isnt as simple as that, Ryan was a vlogger long before FortNine hired him to build a channel with them.
Yes they feature stuff that the shop sells. But theyre not telling you to buy it at FortNine, No its not a 10-15 minute infomercial video trying to shill fortnine products or exclusives.

The stuff they show and test is every brand, and they dont picks favorites...

And no Ryan isnt just the "current face" The channel was his to begin with, and has been for a few years. Fortnine provide a budget, links to buy the products shown in the video... but its not a "HAY, BUY FORTNINE STUFF" channel...

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

And also the only thing I actually said here is, Oh you watch FortNine too, I like his videos....... And from that you decided to throw some insults.... Wow.

Grumpy pleb aint he lol.
Another good channel is Project Farm. He probably has done some chain lube test somewhere. His methods tend to be a little more scientific and many engines have been ruined in his experiments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbXy3c2oAfA
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2