BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A n00b polishing a turd

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like part of a trap you've fallen for is in the aftermarket parts world.There's a heap of replacement shiny blingy nuts and bars and mirrors etc and the engine parts which claim to give power and all the stuff - those are just as good as a go faster stripe.
The racing CDI - have you opened it up to look inside? I expect it to look similar to one of those 'power savers' you plug into household sockets. Empty or with a capacitor inside.

I agree it can be fun messing on with stuff but you have to be wary of any ads claiming moar power for £2.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
The racing CDI - have you opened it up to look inside? I expect it to look similar to one of those 'power savers' you plug into household sockets. Empty or with a capacitor inside

It's interesting. Apparently there are a few 'peds with the restricted-by-RPM systems, like the Kisbee mentioned. Boatiatione and things too. The "racing" ones may or may not be similar (I guess "not").

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally the bike had no spark. At first I thought "no surprise, considering it also has no battery!" but obviously I know better now Smile

Anyhoo, the spark plug looked reasonable so that left the coil, the CDI or the stator. Coils and CDIs cost very little and are easy to fit. Stators not so much. I started with the easy stuff and it turned out to be the coil.

There were varying opinions on so called "racing" CDIs and went in not expecting much and that's what I got Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and in case I'm missing a trick, are there any cheaper ways to learn mechanical skills than junked and salvaged bikes?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:49 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Oh, and in case I'm missing a trick, are there any cheaper ways to learn mechanical skills than junked and salvaged bikes?

Course there are.

Go into your kitchen and when it's not in use, get your washing machine and completely dismantle it - I'm talking every nut and bolt and if it's possible even the drum and remover the inner drum, bearings, seals etc etc.
The thinking is, washing machines contain more or less every component that a motorcycle has. The drum bearings and seals are similar to motorcycle wheel or primary drive units. There are pipes which replicate the various water cooling pipes on a bike. There are wires and what looks like a wiring harness too. Switches, small bulbs and so on.
Sure there's no fuel as such but remember too there are float sensors in washing machines that are a little like float valves on carbs.
Heck you could even repaint the washing machine and learn things there too!

I want a fiver for that tip.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I want a fiver for that tip.

Umm... no!

I've errr.... already done that Wink And the tumble dryer and the dishwasher over the years.

Actually for the tumble dryer it was a good thing: some eejit overloaded the thing with wet towels the belt snapped, the drum got unbalanced and took out the rear bearing. Not knowing anything about tumble dryers I started at the front and worked my way back... doh!

Anyhoo, after struggling to get the belt on with screwdrivers and such I fashioned a tool out of some old steel pipe to slip over the end of the motor spindle and it was dead easy.

When the scandal over immolating white goods came up mine was one of the models affected. So I took it apart again and cleaned out all the fluff that was accumulating in dangerous spots - now knowing what everyone was banging on about.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend's update. Took the stoopid pod filter off: keep things simple to start with Smile

Now have the new exhaust on but it's a bit too loud for my liking so I'm going to dick about with the baffle.

Going from an 84 jet to a 90 with the bore kit, new carb and exhaust but stock air filter seems to all work out quite nicely. Wasn't getting anywhere with it while the pod filter was on. From what I'm reading it'd probably need something like a 120 if you have really good air flow!!! Seems a bit unnecessary.

The stock air filter is ugly as shit so I might look to see what has similar air flow (or can have some restriction dialled into it.) Luckily £4 to £6 gets you an insanely large list of choices.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trying the pod filter are you only changing the main jet? You'll need to use a bigger idle jet and possibly play with the needle position as well or it will never idle or run right.

When I did one of these I ended up whacking a bigger carb on it but that was probably totally unnecessary and added faff because I didn't have a baseline to work from setting it up.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH what I'd like is stock(-ish) air flow but in a tidy package. A pod means you can chop the huge ugly stock airbox and the associated massive pipe that connects to the carb.

I'll shelve the airbox/pod experiments for now. I'm going to put a larger baffle in this:

https://i.imgur.com/Kf1g5L2.jpg?1

Ugly? Yes, but the stock one was disintegrating and this is as cheap as it gets Smile

I'll do a few commutes to work and see how I feel about variator weights and suchlike.

jayspeedy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:00 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked it's...............big

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what she said....

Actually, it looks big but is less than half the size and weight of the stock one...

https://webimg.secondhandapp.com/w-i-mgl/57fd1b0df0e229db1d857594

(random google search)

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 01 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused.
The random search for a stock one shows a 2T exhaust surely? Quite different to a 4T exhaust.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 01 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the exhaust that was on mine and as you can see from previous work on the bike it definitely has valves and a cam Smile

But you're right: it does have that expansion chamber thing going on. I suspect it is actually a 2 stroke one and they went "hey, sounds okay on the 4 stroke motor, job done!"

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 01 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a fake spanny chamber, technigas make one. I had one on the Vclic because it was the cheapest non rusty exhaust on eBay at the time.

Quote:
TBH what I'd like is stock(-ish) air flow but in a tidy package

Idle jet comment still stands based on the bore kit and the pipe.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 02 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes well it's been one of those "You know nothing, Jon Snow!" moments so I'm going to leave the stock air box on. Still, better to enter the "Hall of Stupid" with a discount ticket Rolling Eyes

The fake carbon fibre wrap sticker on the exhaust is truly awful, close up, but it does inspire me to buy a roll of "carbon fibre" tape to adorn the bike in hideous ways Twisted Evil

nutty_nick
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:47 - 02 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like this build, it has a lovely sense of "that'll do then"

keep it up Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed up a few more things, rear indicator arm hanging off... JB Weld to the rescue!

https://i.imgur.com/KJzPoqf.jpg?1

I found the AC feed for the lights and swapped it for DC from the ignition. Swapped the wedge sidelight bulbs for LEDs but unfortunately the el-cheapo H4 LEDs (£4 per pair) I had were faulty Sad Lesson: never buy cheap shit from eBay if you need to rely on it Wink I'll see how it goes with the LED lighting, might go as far as replacing the gauge backlights too if the battery doesn't hold up in the evenings.

Finally I took a look at the cable and pipe routing around the engine and had a tidy up with the cable ties taking care to leave some slack there for suspension travel. As I'm going to stick with the stock airbox I also reattached the crank breather.

Still haven't got the replacement baffle yet so just for fun I started it up with no baffle... feck! it's loud Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 13 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished!!!

Here's what it sounds like with the new baffle:

https://youtu.be/IVX5sz9_Qio

It's loud but not "dial 101" loud Smile

And here it is in it's full errr.... "glory"

https://i.imgur.com/SdX0MAh.jpg?1

Not in the photos - final touches...

LED main bulbs and side lights
LED bulbs for gauges backlight
LED brake light

(Indicators have been left as filament bulbs as they're only on occasionally.)

I whizzed about on it yesterday to get the old oil circulating and changed it out today. Lots of crap and metal swarf trapped by the oil screen and oil plug magnet - as expected with a barrel change.

GPS checked the speed and definitely does >40mph with plenty left to go. I don't think the bigger piston and barrel did anything for the top speed but it certain has more low end torque, very nice! Pulling away is great, bit anaemic from 15 to 25 mph and then cruises nicely in the 30 to 40mph range. Ideal for little bit of light commuting; all in all, very happy with the way it's turned out Smile

Next stage should be variator weights and clutch springs but I need to make room for a bigger boys' bike when I pass my Mod 2 in a couple of weeks Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The journey is truly at an end: sold the scooter this afternoon. Seems someone appreciated the "look" I was going for Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3