Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rough guess at paint job

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Rough guess at paint job Reply with quote

I'm currently tarting up the old thing and while I'll happily do anything electro mechanical, I'm an utterly useless feckin numpty when it comes to spraying/ making it look nice.
Whatever I do, however long I spend, It still looks crap
I give up.

So, how much might a simple but decent paint job on a tank and 2 side panels cost?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:15 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was £450 for the paint on my Bullet. Candy finish.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't honestly see where you are going wrong on the spraying tbh. It's all in the prep.

400 grit wet sand paper all over where you want to spray
Spray primer lightly over the whole area (youre after coverage - not opaque yet)
10mins -brew
Spray 2nd primer coat slightly heavier (should cover most of the area now but not be perfect)
10 mins
Spray 3rd layer of primer quite heavy without creating runs.
Wait 30 mins - 3 hours depending on temps
600 grit wet sand primer to a smooth finish
800- 1200 grit wet sand to give an Uber smooth layer
Wash and dry fully
Degrease lightly
Repeat the same spray technique for the base coat (light tack layer, followed by 2 or 3 further coats, waiting up to 20 mins between costs)
Shouldn't need any sanding after the base coat.
Wait 1 hour
Wipe lightly with a tack rag to pick up any bits that have landed on it.
Spray light coat of clear coat
Wait 15 mins
Spray heavier coat of clear coat
Wait 15 mins
Spray really heavy layer of clear coat without creating runs

Wait 3 hours - overnight

Admire

I've just done 2 panels and 4 alloy wheels on my Audi - used 4 cans of 150ml base coat and 2 cans of 400ml clear coat.
Including the cost of wet and dry sandpaper and tack rags, it's cost me about 40 - 60 quid and looks almost perfect.

For a tank and 2 bike panels it's probably half that cost.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a frame to paint I did all the sanding, priming and washing till I was happy with it - took me a good few days. I went with sand, fill, prime, sand again, fill again, sand... etc. basically you're going to rinse and repeat till you're happy.

Then I took it down to my local coach works to see what paint they had left over and let them do the final colour and top coat. If you do the boring bit for them they might not charge so much.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh painting is easy.

It's all in the prep.

Rolling Eyes

It is a lot more to it than simply prep.

Prep is the biggest effort that's all.

Applying the paint coat requires the skills.

Practice on a board or an old car wing before committing to the bike.

Rubbing it all off again is not part of the prep. Smile

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rubbing it all off again is not part of the prep."

Just spent ages doing just that as I made right mess of it again.

Sod it, I'll do all the leccy techy stuff and fuck the paint job
for now.
I'll cover it with spent matches like an old lags baccy tin or
glue shells, beads and shit to it.

Fuck you paint !
fuck you !

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong.

Common misconception to be fair though.

Painting with a spray can is very easy to get a professional finish. Yes you can practice, that's a good start.

The basic simple rule is to go light in your layers and leave enough time between them.
A very light dusting for the first layer, then with each additional layer go a bit heavier, after 4 coats it will be perfect.

The only way to fuck that up is using shit paint or by spraying too much on too quickly.

If anything skill wise is required, it's being good at sanding to a decent finish and attention to detail.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I've had s decent finish on a couple of bits that I've done, it's a tedious job and I fucking hate it so I'd also rather just pay someone. I have a local guy who did me a tank and four small fairing panels for £250 and it looks like it was done at the factory.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Wrong.

Common misconception to be fair though.

Painting with a spray can is very easy to get a professional finish. Yes you can practice, that's a good start.

The basic simple rule is to go light in your layers and leave enough time between them.
A very light dusting for the first layer, then with each additional layer go a bit heavier, after 4 coats it will be perfect.

The only way to fuck that up is using shit paint or by spraying too much on too quickly.

If anything skill wise is required, it's being good at sanding to a decent finish and attention to detail.

How can you 'be good at sanding'?

You either sand properly or you don't sand properly.

It's just rubbing layers off in increments.

Applying the paint is much more skill-heavy.

You must consider type and quality of coatings, humidity, temperature, drying times, re-sanding to level before final coats.

I've seen loads of shit paint jobs coz anyone can spot a shit paint job.

There is not much skill in sanding it's just hard work.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well therein lies your problem. If you think sanding isn't the skillful part, you very clearly don't understand the process well enough to comment. Sorry.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Whilst I've had s decent finish on a couple of bits that I've done, it's a tedious job and I fucking hate it so I'd also rather just pay someone. I have a local guy who did me a tank and four small fairing panels for £250 and it looks like it was done at the factory.

Can it agree with this if you have the cash. Can save a few Bob doing it yourself to a decent level, but it takes time to do it properly, it took me a full day preparing the panels through varying levels of wet and dry paper and priming before I even got to painting and that took another couple of hours the next day.

I enjoy it though. 🤣

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also watch out getting to the end of a rattle can. Sometimes it starts spluttering and splattering when the paint's almost done. Don't forget to to do some test squirts - first press of the button will be shitty.

Personally you either have the patience for sanding or not... to get a perfect curve with no flats, not skipping awkward corners, not getting upset when you realise it looks shit and you need to start over.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get stuff to look 'OK' with aerosols but you'd never confuse it with a pro job.
Biggest issue with fuel tanks and aerosols is how to get it petrol-proof.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I can get stuff to look 'OK' with aerosols but you'd never confuse it with a pro job.

"
2K Clear Coat. 2k clear coats in aerosol and in can. The 2k clear coats are petrol resistant, chemical resistant, scratch resistant, impact resistant, resistant to weathering and UV-resistant.
"

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Well therein lies your problem. If you think sanding isn't the skillful part, you very clearly don't understand the process well enough to comment. Sorry.

Who said I have a problem?

I only outlined the issues involved in spray painting a vehicle.

I know preparation is 'most' important but the end result is 100% dependant on how the paint is applied.

Filling and Sanding is not a 'skill'. It is just steps in the process.

I would let the apprentice fill and rub down the job but he/she would not be let anywhere near the job with paint until they master the skill of applying the paint.
Working with £50 - £200+ in paint is a skill heavy responsibility.
You give them little 'sacrificial' jobs to practice on first. They can learn the skills on those and rub down their mistakes without too much cost in time and materials.

Three lines on prep..
https://makezine.com/2015/06/24/skill-builder-spray-paint-techniques/

not much to preparation here either.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/outdoor-projects/how-to/a8912/10-tips-for-better-spray-painting-15474314/

A wedge on technique (for applying paint nothing on prep)

https://www.familyhandyman.com/painting/tips/things-you-need-to-know-before-spray-painting/

Or what would you do?

ps 'Professional' body shop painters do not use aerosol/rattle cans to apply paint. FFS. Smile
They use very clean and dry air regulated to precise pressure/s and in a controlled environment.
I accept that there a plenty of cowboys slathering paints on under arches all around the world but the results show. Smile

Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
A100man wrote:

"
2K Clear Coat. 2k clear coats in aerosol and in can. The 2k clear coats are petrol resistant, chemical resistant, scratch resistant, impact resistant, resistant to weathering and UV-resistant.
"

Yep, heard of these with a 'ring-pull' activator but never used. BTW it begs the question what the car makers use since all their paint is water based these days - isn't it?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Yep, heard of these with a 'ring-pull' activator but never used. BTW it begs the question what the car makers use since all their paint is water based these days - isn't it?

I think the paint is kind-of-the-same compounds only the 'solvent' used is water.

Paint normally used toluene type solvents.

It is the solvents that were causing the grief.

There is suggestion that water based paints do not adhere to surfaces as well as 'original' paints.
Possibly water based paints are more critical in the surface preparation. Different primers etc.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painting: easy in theory, even easier to balls it up as an amateur. The temptation to have a go often comes over me, and it's something I just have to learn to resist. I take it one day at a time... My rational mind knows I haven't got the ability to do more than matt black rat. In your garage with a set of cans and a few grades of wet and dry, you really need to know what you're doing before you could do something to rival a factory paintjob. In my case, painting is best left alone or to the pros.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:14 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3 hapence worth.
Don't buy shit aerosols from Half .... some car shop. Get a proper colour matched aerosol from a proper motor factors. Yes they are about 13 quid, , but I tell you what they are proper paint with real pigment that actually covers, not the translucent runny piss in cheap aerosols.

Shake fuck out of the aerosol like you are on the vinegar strokes.

Fill a bowl with really hot , but not like boiling water and immerse the aerosol in the water , keep rolling and immersing the aerosol and then taking it out and shaking it until it feels hot all over.

Now start spraying.

keep moving! ( or it will run)

Sanding in one place and painting in another is not a bad idea either. Dust gets everywhere.....

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
some internet quotes on a subject he obviously knows very little about

You talk so much shite. 🤣

I could find some internet quotes on rocket science that has 3 lines for "connecting the electronics"... Doesn't mean it's unskilled. 🙄

Regardless, you think "something" (which is incorrect) and any amateurs on here can believe you / or me.

Anyone half decent with a spray can on cars / bikes will know you are talking out of your arse.

If the sanding is shit, it doesn't matter how good you are with the paint or whether you are in an air tight paint chamber or out of the street, the finish will be shit. And it takes a lot of skill to get the sanding correct using the correct grades and types of paper for the job. Primer for example will only stick to 400 grade or less, ...( I started on a whole rant at this stage about various skills involved in sanding / wet sanding / choice of paper etc but you just aren't worth the faff ).

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
MCN wrote:
some internet quotes on a subject he obviously knows very little about

You talk so much shite. 🤣

I could find some internet quotes on rocket science that has 3 lines for "connecting the electronics"... Doesn't mean it's unskilled. 🙄

Regardless, you think "something" (which is incorrect) and any amateurs on here can believe you / or me.

Anyone half decent with a spray can on cars / bikes will know you are talking out of your arse.

If the sanding is shit, it doesn't matter how good you are with the paint or whether you are in an air tight paint chamber or out of the street, the finish will be shit. And it takes a lot of skill to get the sanding correct using the correct grades and types of paper for the job. Primer for example will only stick to 400 grade or less, ...( I started on a whole rant at this stage about various skills involved in sanding / wet sanding / choice of paper etc but you just aren't worth the faff ).

Do you want the backs of your legs slapped ya cheeky cunt?

Sanding IS NOT A SKILL, you silly sausage.

It is only a matter of selecting the rough medium and fine paper and rubbing round and round and app an dahn.

You are talking shite.

You are one of the worst apprentices on here son.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steady on now lads...
We've all had a drink

https://10000mansteps.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/barfight-bmp.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Steady on now lads...
We've all had a drink

https://10000mansteps.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/barfight-bmp.jpg

Keep out of it you. Mad

Wasted
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1