Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Reluctant to change up after 3rd or 4th gear.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reluctant to change up after 3rd or 4th gear. Reply with quote

60 miles into a 75 mile journey I noticed my R1 (5PW, 2003) was becoming intermittently reluctant to change up after 3rd or 4th gear. The gear lever moved up but that's all that happened, although at other times 4th to 5th to 6th was readily available. 1st, 2nd and 3rd were absolutely fine, and changing down from any gear was fine too.

Rolling checks on arrival at my destination, engine off and with the bike in 1st confirmed that the clutch biting point is where it should be in terms of lever throw. Attempts at clutchless changes on the road hadn't made a difference. The engine oil is only 1000 miles old and the level is good.

On my return journey I think it helped if I applied gentle downward pressure before changing up, as if to seat the gear lever, although I stopped that when I accidentally changed down and nearly launched myself over the front. The drive chain is on the slack side of the specification (where I like it) although I might tighten it up a little to see if that helps.

I'm worried that this is the start of something serious. Has anyone heard of this issue before? Thoughts please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bent selector(s) maybe. Not too serious as gearboxes go.
They are like a fork which pushes cogs to and fro.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:31 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be looking at the spring that returns the mechanism back to the centre. Either way you'll be stripping then entire engine.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1for selector... easy fix....massive job.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:50 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the bike?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 27 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! The springs and levers behind the gearchange mechanism cover look alright so it does seem likely to be a damaged selector fork and an engine-out job. I don't understand why this has happened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:45 - 27 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this before. It's usually crud or lack of lubrication on the shift linkage and/or poor chain adjustment.

Adjust your chain, and thorougly lube your shift linkage at ALL the ball joints.

Then, and only then if it still seems to have an issue, you can start hitting the panic buttons a bit.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily, it looks like Marjay was right. Upon reassembly of the gear shift mechanism I greased the rose joints at each end of the gear shift lever and the problem has gone. It still seems odd that it only affected the upper gears, so I'm wary. Back on the road though!
Dance!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1