Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to tell if an Air-cooled engine is getting too hot?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:34 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: How to tell if an Air-cooled engine is getting too hot? Reply with quote

Hey guys, with all the nice weather approaching, i'm wondering how to tell if my bike is getting too hot and if there are any ways of keeping it cool? Ive got a 1999 Xj600S, they used to be air cooled but mine has a small-ish oil cooler as its a later model.

The past week has been stunning and with temperatures of 23° means that i've been out on some long rides and pushing my little restricted engine fairly hard on some roads. I can't help but feel paranoid that i'm going to overheat my engine or cause heat related damage somehow.

What ways are there to tell if this is the case when i'm out riding in hot weather? I did think of putting fans on my oil cooler and just wiring them into a handlebar mounted switch but i wouldn't be sure if it would do anything or be worth the hassle if it did. I'd be grateful if anyone could offer some advice or tips.

Thanks for the help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:43 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you tell if an air-cooled engine is too hot? It heat seizes....

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:45 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
How do you tell if an air-cooled engine is too hot? It heat seizes....

I'll try to look out for that then...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glue a Thermistor onto the head. (Araldite it on.)

I'm sure you can find a device on eBay that has the sensor and an LED Display.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Led-Display-Thermometer-Fridge-Temperature-Gauge-Meter-Monitor-GF/113698757263?hash=item1a78f95a8f:m:mQ0qbPeLA2COUc5-Nh1nXjQ&frcectupt=true

good up to 110° Centipede. (It should be almost well cooked by then. )

https://www.go-araldite.com/products/araldite-product-selector#r_34_199

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:04 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Glue a Thermistor onto the head. (Araldite it on.)

I'm sure you can find a device on eBay that has the sensor and an LED Display.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Led-Display-Thermometer-Fridge-Temperature-Gauge-Meter-Monitor-GF/113698757263?hash=item1a78f95a8f:m:mQ0qbPeLA2COUc5-Nh1nXjQ&frcectupt=true

good up to 110° Centipede. (It should be almost well cooked by then. )

https://www.go-araldite.com/products/araldite-product-selector#r_34_199

Ok, thanks very much mate, ill try to rig that up sometime soon

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it'll cook your 110C thermometer, as well as the Araldite.

If you want to stick something to something hot, then silicone adhesive (as in instant gasket compound, etc.) will withstand much higher temperatures than Araldite.

Why do you think your bike will suffer in a mere 23C ambient temperature? Say for instance it's OK at a cool 15C. If ambient goes up to 30C, you've still only added a sort-of-potential 15C to the running temperature, and in real life you won't even get that, since heat will dissapate faster from a hotter object.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:34 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it catches fire then it's getting too hot.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:44 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's air cooled. It was designed to operate over a wide range of engine temperatures. It was also designed for a global market, including sitting in traffic in sandy countries. You aren't going to hurt it.

Of course, might be a blessing if you do kill it it. One less divvy is always nice.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I reckon it'll cook your 110C thermometer, as well as the Araldite.

If you want to stick something to something hot, then silicone adhesive (as in instant gasket compound, etc.) will withstand much higher temperatures than Araldite.

Why do you think your bike will suffer in a mere 23C ambient temperature? Say for instance it's OK at a cool 15C. If ambient goes up to 30C, you've still only added a sort-of-potential 15C to the running temperature, and in real life you won't even get that, since heat will dissapate faster from a hotter object.

Thumbs Up

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignorance is bliss.

Plus what would you do if your engine got “to hot”?

I’ve had lots of oil cooled GSXR’s and never once worried about how hot they were getting.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:03 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Ignorance is bliss.

I’ve had lots of oil cooled GSXR’s and never once worried about how hot they were getting.

I don't know what i'd do, thats the point.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:04 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Of course, might be a blessing if you do kill it it. One less divvy is always nice.

Trust me, if i could afford anything else, i wouldn't have a diversion.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't afford anything else, but I still haven't got a divvy Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it, as long as the revs match the speed (meaning, your not reving it while stationary) the engine won't overheat.

None of the air cooled machines that I have ever ridden/owned overheated and we do get 35°C+ summers here. In fact, I'd overheat sooner than the engine would.

The only thing one can do is to check the spark plugs. Those will tell you whether the mixture isn't too lean or the engine running too hot.

Other than that, I would not worry about it much. Just don't rev it when stationary and keep moving.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 21:14 - 23 Apr 2019; edited 1 time in total

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:14 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Don't worry about it, as long as the revs match the speed (meaning, your not reving it while stationary) the engine won't overheat.

None of the air cooled machines that I have ever ridden/owned overheated and we do get 35°C+ summers here. In fact, I'd overheat sooner than the engine would.

The only thing one can do is to check the spark plugs. Those will tell you whether the mixture isn't too lean or the engine too hot.

Other than that, I would not worry about it much. Just don't rev it when stationary and keep moving.

Easy enough, thanks for the help mate.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make things a bit more clear, lean mixture leads to overheating. Rich mixture has the opposite effect while washing out the lubricant off the cylinder walls, which leads to accelerated piston rings wear. Overheating might even happen when the mixture is perfect though, but it's unlikely on an air cooled engine.

Also, running too hot could alter the colour of the exhaust headers.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:23 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
To make things a bit more clear, lean mixture leads to overheating. (rich mixture has the opposite effect while washing out the lubricant off the cylinder walls, which leads to accelerated piston rings wear) Overheating might even happen when the mixture is perfect though, but it's unlikely on an air cooled engine.

Also, running too hot could alter the colour of the exhaust headers.

Alright, i'll make sure to check this on the next spirited ride i go on.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:

I don't know what i'd do, thats the point.

Widdle on it.

If it's running at the time, avoid widdling near the sparking-plugs.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

There's no need to wait, once the spark plugs get ''heat'' damaged, they stay that way.

But, if the bike runs alright, I would not worry about it. Regular oil changes and basic maintenence is all I would do.

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:28 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the owner of a '96 you'll be able to smell it. Don't sit in traffic queues Smile

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:30 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkshire Geek wrote:
As the owner of a '96 you'll be able to smell it. Don't sit in traffic queues Smile

Never do anyway

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:33 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
adengtg wrote:

There's no need to wait, once the spark plugs get ''heat'' damaged, they stay that way.

But, if the bike runs alright, I would not worry about it. Regular oil changes and basic maintenence is all I would do.

At the moment, i'm running iridium plugs. Managed to get them cheaper than normal ones off the official NGK amazon page. Don't suppose you know if the wear looks different on them? i can always consult haynes but not sure if it would be different for iridium.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
To make things a bit more clear, lean mixture leads to overheating.

Insufficient exhaust valve clearance causes that too (and retarded ignition timing, but is it adjustable on this engine?).

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the insulator bit on both the iridium and regular spark plugs is about the same, so it will discolour the same with wear/damage. But again, I recommend less thinking more riding. Cool

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:40 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I'd say the insulator bit on both the iridium and regular spark plugs is about the same, so it will discolour the same with wear/damage. But again, I recommend less thinking more riding. Cool

I can do that Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2