Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

when you dont 'gel' with a bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:14 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: when you dont 'gel' with a bike. Reply with quote

What do you do?

Im at a stage where ive suck enough money in that i dont want to sell and although its a decent enough bike i just dont 'get' it.

Do you sink even more money in trying to get it to a good place, keep plugging away at it as is and just hope the magic arrives or loose a fortune and swap to something else.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:17 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop throwing good money after bad.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to do?
What can you afford to do?
What bike is it?
What have you done to it?
What bike do you really think you'd like, given no limits?
What's the nearest to that bike you can have?
How long have you had this one?
How many miles have you covered?
In what conditions have you ridden it?

If you're certain you're not going to click with it, change it for something else, and put it down to experience. Don't spend money on the next one until you're certain you like it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:26 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

What do you want to do? its making me want to give up riding!
What can you afford to do? depends on the trade in value
What bike is it? 2016 mt 07
What have you done to it? chain, sprocket, tyres
What bike do you really think you'd like, given no limits? thats the problem either a 'blade or a vespa and how different are they.
What's the nearest to that bike you can have? ?
How long have you had this one? 7 mths
How many miles have you covered? 1000
In what conditions have you ridden it? All.

If you're certain you're not going to click with it, change it for something else, and put it down to experience. Don't spend money on the next one until you're certain you like it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:26 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
What bike is it?

MT07

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=327038

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with the model itself, but change it. It isn't for you, simple.
Money spent is on wear and tear items, which you will spend on whatever bike you have. I was thinking maybe you'd ploughed the cash in for modifying it.

Go and get one of the bikes you think you really want. Get them off the tick list.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get on with the FJR 1300. Just didn't make me want to ride. I had to as I commuted on it but it hurt. Mr Taxman gave me a bit of dosh and I did a part ex for a BMUU1200 GSA. Now I'm back in love with bikes and can't keep off the thing.
There was nothing wrong with the FJR, it just wasn't for me.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:52 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

so im far from the first person to have brought 'the wrong' bike?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:09 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eggcup valdes was completely the wrong bike for me, unreliable, crippled my elbows and shoulders and drank more oil than petrol but by fuck was the commute fun....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
so im far from the first person to have brought 'the wrong' bike?

No. I've bought the wrong bike before - one that just turned out to be crap generally.
And, I've bought the wrong bike before - one that was a great bike, but totally unsuited to my needs.
And, I've had bikes that were only the right bike for a limited time.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:24 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wondering if a track session with someone like the haslam race school would help?
This is my first 'big' bike and i wonder if its a confidence thing since i placed it on the ground during a u turn.
Maybe the 'on track' session at haslams would help with a bit more bike control?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
wondering if a track session with someone like the haslam race school would help?

You might enjoy it, and you might learn something useful. But why race-oriented further training? Why not road oriented?

Quote:
This is my first 'big' bike and i wonder if its a confidence thing since i placed it on the ground during a u turn.

Shit happens. Keep riding, keep adding to your experience.

Quote:
Maybe the 'on track' session at haslams would help with a bit more bike control?

If you want to do that particular thing, do it. But do it because you want to, not necessarily for the learning.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:50 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chickenstrip"]
leolion wrote:

You might enjoy it, and you might learn something useful. But why race-oriented further training? Why not road oriented?

not sure the rospa and bike safe course offer the same 'bang per buck', unless theres any better road courses

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:20 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:

What the Ron Haslam track day really wont teach you is slow speed control with a heavy bike.....

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you modifying it with things it doesn't need?

If you can, just buy consumables as and when needed, as well as doing oil changes etc. Even on a bike that you don't like, consumables aren't really a waste of money as you're still getting transport out of it and you're going to have running costs like that with any similar bike.

If you're selling up, the ideal time for me to sell up is when your insurance has run out, but you have gotten it a fresh MOT just before the insurance ended. This is assuming you have other transport, and can sell it without being in a rush to get rid.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:36 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
Are you modifying it with things it doesn't need?

If you can, just buy consumables as and when needed, as well as doing oil changes etc. Even on a bike that you don't like, consumables aren't really a waste of money as you're still getting transport out of it and you're going to have running costs like that with any similar bike.

If you're selling up, the ideal time for me to sell up is when your insurance has run out, but you have gotten it a fresh MOT just before the insurance ended. This is assuming you have other transport, and can sell it without being in a rush to get rid.

nope no mods i like standard bikes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:47 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a FireBlade 954 (2002) as I mentioned in another thread. I didn't gel with it.

Everyone said that it's the best road bike ever. There is in fact such a post in the other thread. Journalists said it. Ordinary people said it. Even an old granny down the shops said it... (or she might have been talking about her fireplace? Not sure).

But I did not get on with it. The suspension was too hard, it had too much power and I was constantly looking over my shoulder for the rozzers. It's clip ons were low enough to cause pain, but not close enough to the seat to allow a nice riding position for short-@rse me. The seat was both slippery and hard.

The front end had so little feel that I crashed the bike on the second day I had it. Luckily the damage was not too bad but I never managed to recover the little amount of confidence I had. In fact, I just started to get my confidence back on my Buell when I had a mishap on that and broke my foot and my wrist. It wasn't really to do with the FireBlade, but having the wrong bike meant my confidence took a knock that wasn't worth it for the cachet of having the 'best road bike in the world'.

I suspect if I spent £3000 on suspension parts to suit my weight it might have been better, but the power was still a bit much for me. In fact I've not owned a bike with much more than 100bhp until I bought my 600RR track bike, which I think is only about 115bhp.

I am thinking about buying a 1000cc bike now, but only because my confidence has returned, and I need a heavyweight bike for my long distance commute. I'm sure I'd be happier with a more powerful bike had I not had a bad experience on my 'Blade.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/rightside_155.jpg

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it if it's something dependable, otherwise get rid of it. It's like a watch. If you're choosing a once-in-a-lifetime watch, you're spending so much money that you should look for something you really like a lot. But if you need to know the time throughout the day, you would be better off with any quartz.

I have a bike I can jump on and go to places, near and far away. It's like a rubber-strap Casio. The cheapest of the cheap and the most dependable of the lot. I keep it for the utility and I can't really 'gel' with it. Partly because of the testicle-crushing seat, partly because of the upgraded shock, partly because of other things. But I compromise on these things because I know it will get me there without trouble, and I can thrash the hell out of it without fear or worry.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
testicle-crushing seat...I know it will get me there without trouble...without fear or worry.

No, no, no! This is all wrong!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me with my VFR750.

Spent 25 years wanting one, bought one and instantly disliked it. I did try and I really wanted it to be a keeper, there were even things about it that I quite enjoyed, but the total experience was not one I got any pleasure out of.

It was all made worse by having other bikes I could use, so it ended up neglected, until I was made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Fortunately, I didn't do a big bundle of cash, but I would've done a lot less if I'd bailed out sooner.

Don't like your bike, get out of it.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have missed something, but Chickenstrips questions on what it is you want, have tried, how long been riding etc are key.

The shortest answer is, try as much as possible and bikes you wouldn't immediately thinks of. So do a trackday (on someone elses bike, it costs, but its worth it). Try MX. Go cruising on a chopper. Try something light, something heavy, something revvy, something torquey, something old skool, something with a thousand buttons.

Every bike has something to offer, does something well that others do not. But they all do some things not so well. Every bike is a trade-off.

But to appreciate the good over the bad, you have to know exactly what it is you want. Which sometimes you didn't know you wanted, until you try it.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
I might have missed something, but Chickenstrips questions on what it is you want, have tried, how long been riding etc are key.

......to appreciate the good over the bad, you have to know exactly what it is you want. Which sometimes you didn't know you wanted, until you try it.

I'm not so sure, I reckon you can overthink it.

Up until a few years ago, I bought most of my bikes because I liked the look of them (and that doesn't just mean the aesthetics) might've read the odd magazine test, but mostly it was gut feel.

More recently, the internet has meant research is much easier, but for me it's still mainly about how I feel about the thing.

I'm also not totally convinced about the test ride obsession - I've said on here before, I've never bought a bike I've tested and I've never tested a bike I've bought.

I'm prepared to admit I've made a couple of mistakes, but I've also had dozens of bikes, so my hit to cock up ratio is pretty good.

I think you can do all the research and soul searching you like, but if you don't feel good about the thing straight off the bat, your chances of growing to like it are quite small.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:58 - 27 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beg/borrow/steal another bike and see how it compares...

I alternate between my 125 and ebike and they're obviously chalk n cheese. But I find myself riding the ebike much more aggressively now and hurtling down the hills at 30-40mph which I never did before!

Conversely I find myself cornering on the 125 a lot better after riding the ebike for a bit. I think for the month or so I just rode the 125 (motorbikes are more toasty in the winter!) I though it was just because it was a cruiser that it didn't corner well... turns out you can actually turn the handlebars at low speed and you don't have to lean your way round 90 degree junctions Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 27 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My questions were posed to find out why the OP is struggling to like his bike, and therefore to help me to help him decide whether or not to keep it, not so much to give him things to ponder to work out his next choice, although they might help in that regard.

I think test rides can be useful, but also, the novelty of something sampled briefly can be misleading too. And it doesn't tell you what a bike is like to live with long term, although it may give you some clues.

You do have to think about what you want from a bike. That's why I often don't reply on 'what bike to get' threads. It's too often a personal thing.

My choices have usually been ones of the heart. Practicality has always been a secondary consideration for me, which perhaps makes things easier. If you're looking for a bike to commute on, with good weather protection, good fuel consumption, those kind of things, you perhaps have to be more careful. But if you just want a bike to enjoy, for fun, it narrows things down for you, so you don't need to think so carefully, and you can go more with 'want', rather than 'need'.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:38 - 27 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Bhud wrote:
testicle-crushing seat...I know it will get me there without trouble...without fear or worry.

No, no, no! This is all wrong!

You may be right, but for some reason I can't bring myself to sell that bike (a hopped-up Divvy rat).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4