Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2 stroke 50cc for a learner?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Derek Noakes This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:59 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically yes, all 50cc bikes when sold new in the UK are restricted so they can be ridden by 16 year olds. I'm sure that there are some obscure 50cc bikes that for whatever reason when sold new aren't restricted to 28mph but I think you'd have to go out of your way to try and find one. Laughing

People selling secondhand 50cc bikes that are still restricted have got a different target market to people selling secondhand 50cc bikes that have been derestricted. Therefore the chances are, they'll say in the ad if it's restricted and if they don't then it's the very first thing to ask them about.

When wanting your daughters bike to be within the law, opinions about how dangerous it is to be restricted to 28mph don't come into it, even if they are correct. Sad

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:00 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
OK. You've got me. BCF has finally broken me.

I'm out.

Isn't it plod's job to prove the semantics, not ours ?

We're talking about a sh!tty 50cc 2 stroke here, the sort of thing we used to ride as 14 year olds, without a helmet, around the streets once it got dark....

I agree with Jmoan. WTF. WTAF.

Well now you really are being thick because I wasn't arguing semantics and it doesn't matter what size or type of vehicle you're on, the penalty is the same if you get caught.

Besides, back in the old paperwork days you could blag your way out of a lot of situations depending on how clued up/lazy the copper was (or the bird behind the police counter when you took your producer in). Nowadays the computer in the car tells them all about your licensing, insurance, tax and MOT conditions. You HAVE to be more diligent and clued up to avoid falling foul. Sorry if you prefer it the old way but that's the deal nowadays.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 06:29 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
No wonder plenty of people are turning to that common law right to travel

Uh oh, that sounds like something freeman of the land would say.

Gagged

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
No wonder plenty of fuckwits are turning unsuccessfully to that common law right to travel

FTFY

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Basically yes, all 50cc bikes when sold new in the UK are restricted so they can be ridden by 16 year olds. I'm sure that there are some obscure 50cc bikes that for whatever reason when sold new aren't restricted to 28mph but I think you'd have to go out of your way to try and find one. Laughing

The only "need" I could see for an unrestricted 50cc would be for some archaic racing class but I think that end is being eaten by the electric motorbike crowd these days.

i.e. offroad racing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:43 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
According to Google, it only needs pedals if the moped was first used before 1 September 1977. Wink

And they were fast as fuck as well, a mate of mine had a moped that was like a proper motorbike but had pedals. Did about 50 standard....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:46 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Jmoan wrote:
No wonder plenty of fuckwits are turning unsuccessfully to that common law right to travel

FTFY

They're fucking mentalists...

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:51 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Jmoan wrote:
No wonder plenty of people are turning to that common law right to travel

Gagged

Who would they be. So far I've seen some nonsense on irrationalwiki and a bunch of lawyers upset that their gravy boat is getting rocked.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

FTFY

They're fucking mentalists...[/quote]

What's mental about basic rights which might have been taken from under your noses?

The ladies doth protest too much, methinks.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:39 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a basic right to travel.

Shanks pony...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:13 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Ste wrote:

Gagged

Who would they be. So far I've seen some nonsense on irrationalwiki and a bunch of lawyers upset that their gravy boat is getting rocked.

They're crazy people who think that common law right to travel means they don't need a license, insurance or any of the other stuff that's required.

"As long as you are "traveling" and not "driving" you don't need a license, even if you are operating the vehicle, because your "right to travel" means you can operate a car apparently"

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Freeman_on_the_land

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=common+law+right+to+travel

Gagged

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this bit:

Quote:
But their theory of the world is utterly spurious, and their practical approach is made entirely of magic beans and crack.

All to often I've heard someone attempt to interject "you know, you don't actually have to pay taxes..." almost randomly into a conversation.

"Very sorry, I've just seen someone I absolutely must talk to. Catch up to you later about that!"

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:31 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Noakes wrote:

Hmm not sure about this. I've had a look both online at 'check my vehicle details' and on the V5C document for my Hornet, neither specifies what the design speed is. I'm not sure whether that's just because it's irrelevant so they don't bother to record it. Maybe they do with the 50cc stuff because they know it will mean the difference between a learner being allowed to ride it or not.

On your V5C it says the vehicle is a motorcycle, a restricted 50 will say moped, if it wasn't built and registered as restricted it will say motorcycle even though it's only a 50. and if it says moped on the V5 but has been derestricted it's a motorcycle and you also failed to inform the DVLA of a change to the vehicle details.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:34 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it?
All my bikes simply say "Bicycle" on the V5
Its a query that has come up a few times, over the years TBH, cos
Swansea seems to be a peculiar source of bureaucratic idiosyncratic.. probably getting revenge for the the #BBC making 'New' Dr Who, in Hill-Taffy, I reckon... but still!
Still matters not a lot, cos the restriction is on the rider, not the vehicle. 50cc and 28mph... a moped could be bored out or modified in any number of ways since it was first registered, still the riders responsibility to ensure whatever they ride is inside their licence entitlement, 50cc and 28mph, end of... don't matter what the sales man say,what the reg doc says, what dad says or the chap down the pub; its the riders responsibility, no-one elses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if you were "from out of town" the rules might not make sense...

"Moped" is an archaic term currently defined as a two-wheeled vehicle with a petrol motor of up to 50cc OR an electric motor of less that 4kW. And in either case a maximum design speed of 28mph.

"Motorcycle" is anything that is over 50cc OR over 4kW OR over 28mph design speed.

That was easy! But that's just the definition of vehicles. Now for the rider...

Category AM entitles the licence holder to ride a two-wheeled vehicle with a design speed of over 15.5mph (BTW, this is the low powered eBike limit) but under 28mph.

(Category A1 and upwards I won't bother repeating for this discussion as it starts getting hairy with power-to-weight ratios!)

Now the interesting thing is that the official government website makes no mention of engine sizes in cubic centimetres or wattages with regards to Category AM. So one might be forgiven for thinking you could ride, for example, an 80cc motorbike that was speed restricted to 28mph.

NOTE: the wording is "designed" so you can't get away with a bike that can go way over 28mph for either the vehicle definition OR the Category entitlement by just riding slower! The bike has to be incapable of pushing much over that limit (tail winds and downward hills not withstanding.)

The confusion (on the part of the government issuing bad information) is the miss-manglement of EU licence entitlement harmonisation whereby the DoT just took existing UK legislation and applied what I would call in geek terms a "mod" instead of writing a clear and precise document. I'm sure you're all shocked by such news!

I'm not going to read all the UK legislation and the EU legislation and the miss-application of EU legislation over the top of UK legislation to give you a definitive answer but...

tl;dr with Category AM you are only entitled to ride a vehicle designed for a 28mph top speed.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:50 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

They're crazy people who think that common law right to travel means they don't need a license, insurance or any of the other stuff that's required.

That doesn't sound crazy to me under the present circumstances.

Up in haggis land there's been courts threats at solictors because they did too good a job defending their clients or critising the courts improper conduct. I can see them doing the same to anything else they don't approve of.

HardlyDavidson wrote:

All to often I've heard someone attempt to interject "you know, you don't actually have to pay taxes..." almost randomly into a conversation.

You weren't talking to Amazons accountants were you? Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:09 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Ste wrote:

That doesn't sound crazy to me under the present circumstances.

The present circumstances?

Jmoan wrote:
Up in haggis land there's been courts threats at solictors because they did too good a job defending their clients or critising the courts improper conduct. I can see them doing the same to anything else they don't approve of.

Why would solicitors or lawyers "not approve" of people who use the freeman of the land defence?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Why would solicitors or lawyers "not approve" of people who use the freeman of the land defence?

Why would turkeys vote for Christmas? If everyone just downed tools and said "these laws don't apply to me, I never personally agreed a contract to respect them" there'd be social chaos...

Or worse, much worse: there might not be Wink

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:40 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Why would turkeys vote for Christmas

Because without it, Bernard Mathews would have no reason to feed them at all....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:57 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Ste wrote:

Why would turkeys vote for Christmas? If everyone just downed tools and said "these laws don't apply to me, I never personally agreed a contract to respect them" there'd be social chaos...

Or worse, much worse: there might not be Wink

Your hypothetical scenario is not the same as what you originally said "can see them doing the same to anything else they don't approve of" and it's only a tiny percentage of the population who're stupid enough to try the freeman of the land defence.

The reason solicitors and lawyers have no reason to "not approve of" those people is because those people make their jobs very easy.

Every single time someone has used the freeman of the land defence in court, it's ended in a very predictable way. Tthe vast majority of people aren't stupid enough to think "these laws don't apply to me, I never personally agreed a contract to respect them".

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, for a prosecutor then yes, life is so much easier but as a defence lawyer you'd be spitting chips if your client stated their intention to go with "freeman of the land."

Ofc the majority of ppl don't reject laws because they're inconvenient - it's only a minority daft enough to try the freeman defence.

My point is that if everyone suddenly rejected the authority of courts etc. society may or may not descend into chaos but certainly lawyers would stop getting paid! A terrible prospect, I think we can all agree Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:05 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeman of the land don't have defence lawyers.

Society would not descend into chaos if more people were deluded enough to think that they could reject the authority of courts.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 12 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Noakes wrote:

Taken from Wikipedia:
A moped (/ˈmoʊpɛd/ MOH-ped) is a type of small motorcycle with bicycle pedals, generally having a less stringent licensing requirement than full motorcycles or automobiles. Mopeds typically travel only a bit faster than bicycles on public roads, and possess both a motorcycle engine and pedals for propulsion. Mopeds are distinguished from scooters in that latter tends to be more powerful and subject to more regulation.

if Wikipedia is your source
you are fucked

our very own ariel badger proved this a while back when he got a home built bike registered with an official owners club via a page he created on there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 12 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Freeman of the land don't have defence lawyers.

Society would not descend into chaos if more people were deluded enough to think that they could reject the authority of courts.

Indeed, if the courts assigned a defence lawyer and the defendant went "I don't need a lawyer, I'm a freeman" then someone isn't getting paid that day!

To dispense with courts and laws and all one would need an evolved society where everyone treated each other - friend or stranger - with decency and respect. Luckily we have "diversity" so we don't have to worry about such things.

With regards to "mopeds" I did look into getting my 50cc bike conversion through the MSVA but it's not a particularly practical vehicle, only being single geared, so I didn't bother in the end. My ebike on the other hand...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:55 - 12 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if the courts assigned a defence lawyer and the defendant went "I don't need a lawyer, I'm a freeman" then someone isn't getting paid that day!

Errr, if someone is acting as a litigant in person then they won't have a defence lawyer.

For cases there to be a court appointed counsel assigned to represent a defendant who who doesn't have counsel, that's going to be something really quite serious and even the most retarded of freeman of the land will know that they need professional representation in court, way more serious than idiots thinking they don't need any license, insurance or other paperwork for the vehicle because they have a common law right to travel. If someone gets to the point that a court thinks it necessary to assign representation to a defendant then there's something not right with that person.

The freeman of the land defence has never worked and always ends badly for the "freeman". It makes them look stupid and they end up in more trouble than they would have been if they had just shut up already. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4