Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hermes Delivery piss take!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Hermes Delivery piss take! Reply with quote

TLDR- don’t use Hermes as they are terrible!

I ordered some baffles off ebay for my arrow exhausts and the seller used Hermes to deliver them.

All I can say is this is the last time I will ever buy an item from someone who uses Hermes as the delivery company.
Hermes have done nothing but mess me about and lie this whole week and aged me by 15years!

1. When they attempted to deliver this Monday fair enough I was not home.
2. Then on Tuesday they didn’t even bother to pick up the item from their depot to deliver to me!
3. Then on Wednesday they gave me a 2 hour delivery frame window which I was home for and their delivery person lied and said I was not home
4. Then on Thursday they gave me a time frame for delivery between 4pm and 6pm then this changed from 7pm to 9pm then got a notification that the item has been taken back to the depot? Why why why?
5. Then this Friday they gave a time frame of 11am to 1pm and I made sure I was home as I was working from home and kept a look out of my kitchen window to wait (yes I stood at my window watched like an old codger cos I was livid whilst working on the work laptop)
At 11.58am I saw the Hermes van and ran out to the driver and asked them do they have a delivery for me, which she said yes then I pointed out to her where my flat is. (I wanted to moan and scream at the delivery person but she was actually quite fit so that frustration and rage just went out the window, as for some of us men as soon as we see an attractive woman we forget everything and go potato, well I know I do)

The worst thing about this is that Hermes have no one I can actually speak to, and you can only communicate via online chat between certain hours and they didn’t even have the option for me to go and collect from their depot which I would gladly have done. (Royal Mail, Yodel, Parcel Force all have depots you can collect your missed deliveries from which is such a good option.

Hermes avoid like Herpes if you can!

Last edited by woo on 11:23 - 08 May 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never use Hermes.

I used them twice - never again.

The first time, it was to send a vintage transistor amplifier. Massive thing in a strong box, double-packed with bubblewrap. Hermes managed to break it somehow. The guy signed for it, and I refunded him because Hermes dragged their feet when saying they would refund me. I thought that was a one-off.

The second time, I sent a pair of good, working motorcycle forks. Once more, boxed and double-bubble-wrapped. How on earth do you break assembled motorcycle forks in transit (stanchions were 37mm)? Nevertheless, they managed to smash them. This time, not only did they drag their feet but they tried to argue the toss about the value of the item. I sent the proof of the Ebay sale. They then refunded me minus £3 or whatever they said I had "overcharged" on postage (I'd quoted a single round figure for postage). I let it go, but that's it for me and Hermes.

Unless I want something destroyed, then I'll dispatch it to myself via MyHermes.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise that the attractive woman who melted your heart is the nasty cow who's been doing this to you the whole time right?
Should have lamped her.

(Do not hit people. It ends badly)

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that Hermes was shit? Our local person used to lob parcels over the back gate without bothering to ring the doorbell. The new one seems better.

And Yodel as well, thanks to the guy who marked my parcel as delivered so that he would still get paid but left it in the boot of his car overnight because he couldn't be bothered to drive all the way to my house to deliver it before 9pm. Screw you, buddy.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I buy anything online nowadays my first priority is 'click and collect' even if it costs a few quid more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two deliveries from Hermes operatives this week. Both were fine. I spect the service depends on the operative.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used them dozens of times to send stuff. It's always gotten there and undamaged. As far as goods in is concerned
my hermes lady has normally delivered at mine before 9am. Never had anything go astray. I've got 30 odd items on ebay for
sale currently and they'll all be sent by Hermes. I had a broken printer when I sold the first item of this batch and had
to resort to Royal Mail to get it sent on time. £17 it cost. Took 5 days for it to arrive. I'd have got that same parcel away
with Hermes a whole tenner cheaper, with three re-delivery attempts and a signature obtained. I speak as I find and I find
the whole Royal Mail parcel sending experience trying from start to finish tbh, then they totally rinse you at the end.
Plus I can drop Hermes parcels as late as 11pm 7 days a week at my local CO-OP which of course excuses me having
to queue for 20 minutes plus with all the claimants and coffin dodgers in a place where I honestly believe they go out of their
way to serve people as slowly as possible.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH, cnuthead delivery service Hermes... Knock on door and run.. bunch of amateurs.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloke who works with me worked for them for three years

6 days a week and some days made about a fiver on top of fuel

if you don't answer the door they don't get paid
if they deliver all the parcels in the cage and there is over 200 in one day they only get half pay
drivers get money taken away from them if a parcel is missing
even if it wasn't drivers faault

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their tracking is misleading it will often say out for delivery when all they did was give a pile to a local driver.
They seem to have a lot of drivers just using their own van or car for the final drop off, and if you have a good one and/or someone you know it works quite well, at lest round here.
They are no worse than others such as Yodel or UK Mail both have had their *moments* here, DPD and ParcelForce are not much if at all better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their business model is shite (well for the driver not for Hermes corporate).

C&D driver is self employed, either own van or leased off Hermes (so more £££ for corporate).

Driver is paid on deliveries made. There is a system in place to penalise the driver too.

Driver won't get paid if premium freight is failed (pre 0900, pre 1200, etc). This fucks people right up because it means routes can't be planned for time/fuel efficiency. You may have to hoof it back and for the length of an area just for the first few parcels.

There is no check in place on total freight. So for example if a driver can realistically do 100 drops a day in his area, if he gets 300 pieces of freight that day he is fucked.

Driver has 200 pieces of freight left at the days end..... he has to store that somewhere and deliver it the next day on top of the new freight that will come down.

Hermes have taken the hub and spoke model used by pallet networks but instead of the end of each spoke being a haulage firm it's self employed couriers. The only winner is Hermes who make money hand over fist for basic trunking and hub operations. The drivers are nothing more than slaves.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure working for them isn't compulsory Rolling Eyes If it's that bad, plenty of other places where work of a similar
pay grade is available. Or there's always college/nightschool to better oneself and retrain into a more lucrative field.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'm pretty sure working for them isn't compulsory Rolling Eyes If it's that bad, plenty of other places where work of a similar
pay grade is available. Or there's always college/nightschool to better oneself and retrain into a more lucrative.

There are worse jobs, if you like driving no harm in trying it for a while.
It's not a long term career is it, dealing with shit from all sides is a useful life skill.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'm pretty sure working for them isn't compulsory Rolling Eyes

Agreed and anyone with much sense doesn't do it for long. However a business model where your C&D drivers are either too dumb to quit (or on the kind of register where they can't get a proper job) and/or quit after short periods means the service levels are doomed to be crap.

Ultimately it will continue to flourish though. People expect to be able to have shit delivered to their door for free (and returned). The logistics operations behind this cost £££££££££££££££, you can't make a hub operation cheaper, you can't make diesel cheaper, etc. So the squeeze will always end up at the delivery end.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate's brother drove for them for a few days, he's not very bright and doesn't listen to anyone. This goes to show what their recruiting and supervision practices are like. After 3 days he'd delivered about 5 parcels and promptly dumped the van back at the depot.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
C&D driver

?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:14 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collection and delivery, I assume.

If a shop says they use Hermes for delivery then I find somewhere else to buy from. However I'm more than happy to use them when I'm selling stuff as their prices are the cheapest and I can drop parcels off at a shop that's three minutes walk from my house.

But I don't trust them with things that are breakable. Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:13 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven;t had many problems with hermes/yodel or any of the ones that are meant to be shit. The only one I will well avoid is Parcel Force. They have a success rate of less than 50% for me.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I haven;t had many problems with hermes/yodel or any of the ones that are meant to be shit. The only one I will well avoid is Parcel Force. They have a success rate of less than 50% for me.

They don't even use the distinctive red vans here now, I've had quite valuable items apparently in their van for nearly a week doing circuits round the area.
You just imagine the drivers standing on it to reach stuff at the back.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
wr6133 wrote:
C&D driver

?

As Ste said Collection and Delivery.... too long in haulage I come out with jargon assuming everyone knows it

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
As Ste said Collection and Delivery.... too long in haulage I come out with jargon assuming everyone knows it

Then at least use the correct jargon. A Hermes driver dropping of deliveries is a Multidrop driver. Thumbs Up

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermes = Thumbs Up

Herpes = Thumbs Down

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Then at least use the correct jargon. A Hermes driver dropping of deliveries is a Multidrop driver. Thumbs Up

Do they not collect anymore? Last time I used them (many years ago) they collected parcels too.

*Edit* NVM I checked their website they still collect off the doorstep so they are C&D drivers call them multidrop drivers if you like they are that too.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They charge just 60p (less than the cost of a 1st class stamp) to collect an item over and above the ordinary cost of
sending your package. When you consider it costs 40p to park the car in town (Because although there are free spaces,
they are only free for 30 minutes and it's the glacial pace of Post Office Counters we're talking about here...) Plus fuel
of course and then there's the small matter of 40 minutes of your time lost standing there wishing you could have your
brain removed whilst avoiding eye contact with the assorted dribblers in the queue. Before eventually and finally being
ruthlessly interrogated by a nazi with fucking acrylic letterbox template. Then charged a kings ransom to send the
fartarse little item you've endured all this bullshite for. Which by then you'll gladly pay just so you can get outside again
away from the stench of lavender, union involvement and general disappointment. 60p well spent I'd say.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
When you consider it costs 40p to park the car in town

Shocked I can't remember the last time I went anywhere that only cost 40p to park.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2