Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Family car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid.
What Car Hybrid of the Year.

Had a look recently at local dealer. They are a lot bigger than I expected.
Lots of boot space. Ideal family car.
And all the money you save on gas you can use to valet every other day.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

I had a driver buy one of these (petrol, I think 2015 or 16). He got rid after 3 months, was thirsty as hell and he said the seat was crippling him. His truck was an Actros so if the seat was worse than that it must be forged in Hell.

Could just be me, but something in your post comes across as though you hate stupid fucking whinging and moaning HGV drivers in your line of work, and at at best they are an inconvenience and at worst the bane of your life?

Pen pushers working harder that the workers out on the road?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:32 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Don't buy these. Bad bad bad car.

With all due respect, my mechanic disagrees with that entirely. But if the Mazda CX5 surprises me with its driving dynamics
then I may still go with that choice. I must arrange a test drive.
autistboi This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
autistboi This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

I had a driver buy one of these (petrol, I think 2015 or 16). He got rid after 3 months, was thirsty as hell and he said the seat was crippling him. His truck was an Actros so if the seat was worse than that it must be forged in Hell.

Could just be me, but something in your post comes across as though you hate stupid fucking whinging and moaning HGV drivers in your line of work, and at at best they are an inconvenience and at worst the bane of your life?

Pen pushers working harder that the workers out on the road?

How in fuck is me saying a driver disliked the seat in a CR-V and its fuel consumption equatable to me saying I hate HGV drivers? I hate Actros tractor units but if you've ever had to run a fleet of the things or driven one you'd know why.

I think you are possibly autistic, could I suggest a visit to Dignitas? Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! Calm yourself down and put your knickers back on. As I said it's the way you wrote your post gives the impression that you hate your firms drivers like they are the only people that cause any problems or hassle and that the office staff are the only hard workers. You've also mentioned stuff about it before in other threads about lazy drivers, and ones not looking after the vehicles or driving to save 1mpg like it's the end of the world.

It might not be quite as easy out there in the real world actually on the road as it says on an office computer system or spreadsheet. Thats my point and I see it in the firm I work for too with circa 10'000 drivers that they are seen as the ones causing the problems or costing the company money, when they are actually doing the opposite. Its like saying factory assembly workers and machine tool operators cost a company too much money, when in reality there would be no goods to sell or ship without them.

As for being an Autist, are you having a laugh. This whole fucking forum is full of Autism in various levels of severity. I've tried for years to pick out the normals and it's very hard to impossible.

Motorbike riders, who like to chat all about them and every little conundrum, issue and opinion. If that's not the very definition of Autism show me what is? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:11 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
Don't buy these. Bad bad bad car.

With all due respect, my mechanic disagrees with that entirely. But if the Mazda CX5 surprises me with its driving dynamics
then I may still go with that choice. I must arrange a test drive.

I worked for Honda. I'd never ever recommend anyone buys a CR-V. Mechanic knows how to work on one, I've dealt with the rear end of everything else to do with one. No one shouldn't consider one. Ever.

Even the 2.2 cdti accords are better and they share the engine... The only (half) good part.

Oddly, I worked at both Honda and Mazda Laughing the Mazda aside from the dry sounding starter motors, preferable to Honda in the 2008-2015 region for sure.

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:00 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I worked for Honda. I'd never ever recommend anyone buys a CR-V. Mechanic knows how to work on one, I've dealt with the rear end of everything else to do with one. No one shouldn't consider one. Ever.

Even the 2.2 cdti accords are better and they share the engine... The only (half) good part.

Oddly, I worked at both Honda and Mazda Laughing the Mazda aside from the dry sounding starter motors, preferable to Honda in the 2008-2015 region for sure.

Well that surprises me too.
I had a CR-V for about 6 years.. was 10 yo when I sold it.. and the only thing I had to replace was tyres and windscreen wipers.
Superb car, very reliable.. bullet proof.. but that was a much older model (2000ish).

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:19 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Volvo.

Obviously.

Yep, what he said.

A slightly older low mileage V50 and some money left over for a really nice holiday would be my choice... in fact it was! However a V60 would fit you requirements perfectly.
Something like this
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904126912352

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:43 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHattrick wrote:
I had a CR-V for about 6 years.. was 10 yo when I sold it.. and the only thing I had to replace was tyres and windscreen wipers.
Superb car, very reliable.. bullet proof.. but that was a much older model (2000ish).

Yes, you had the great era of Honda, the more square one, before they bought parts that were manufactured outside of Honda factories, using non-Bosch and Honda components, also adding in that fucking gash rear diff made somewhere in sierra leone. Proper drop in quality from the start of 2010 era, I know of people possibly on here with 2008 onward Civics that were utter gash using the same engine config.

Add that 4wd shite, boom.

Last edited by P. on 14:15 - 10 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

matto wrote:
Ste wrote:
Volvo.

Obviously.

Yep, what he said.

A slightly older low mileage V50 and some money left over for a really nice holiday would be my choice... in fact it was! However a V60 would fit you requirements perfectly.
Something like this
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904126912352

What are the newer ones like? My father had an 04 S60 some years ago. It was reasonably pokey with a turbo, but drank heavily, was a bit wallowy and the build quality was so so (dash rattles after a couple of years started to creep in). Seats were very comfy. I've never looked at one since though.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:15 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kia soul/optima?

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 03:26 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on these? It's 03:26 and I'm thinking about this way too much Laughing

*Octavia*: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903165957557

*Leon*: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902054644056

*3 Series*: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904187100296

*Focus*: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905027545395 _or_
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904167039673

*Civic*: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810151515107

*Golf*: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812042991356

*V60*: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901304449678

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:22 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be auto. I feel for you brah.

Honestly the Civic isn't great, esp with slush box.

We have a Leon currently which is nice but doesn't feel 'quality' and it's kinda plastic.

Never want to touch a ford personally, but do like the Volvo. It's not super modern but it's bomb proof.

Any reason to not look at the Kia Sportage.. it's pretty trick.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Leon looks good - I’ve had a 17 plate Leon FR with DSG for 2 years and it has been fine; interior is pretty much up to general VAG standards.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:10 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Any reason to not look at the Kia Sportage..

Irrational prejudice Hand

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:

Don't touch the auto Focus, they have a dual clutch that is prone to constant failure. The missus has one, it's about to go in for it's second round of free repair in less than a year, one more trip to the dealer and Ford will not only repair it but start paying us for the inconvenience. Not sure if Ford UK is bound by the same lawsuit.
Just Google Focus dual clutch problems....

Edit: And it has little insulation to reduce road noise in the cabin, not fun if you have to spend any time in it.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:41 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Don't touch the auto Focus, they have a dual clutch that is prone to constant failure.

Edit: And it has little insulation to reduce road noise in the cabin, not fun if you have to spend any time in it.

This is good to know, thanks! Thumbs Up

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
mentalboy wrote:
Don't touch the auto Focus, they have a dual clutch that is prone to constant failure.

This is good to know, thanks! Thumbs Up

On the plus side we can cross off transmission failure costing us money!
Her older Honda Accord was a lovely bit of kit in comparison, the 3litre engine was a beast and the cabin gave a very nice ride. But I think the 3ltr model is a US only option.

Note that Ford have not yet ironed out the problems with the dual clutch and are still fitting it to all their smaller autos.

Fix Or Repair Daily.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP seems to want an auto from the examples he has picked out. Personally I see no reason to have to spend £20k to end up with an ugly and (prejudice formed) dull Volvo on your drive even if it looks to have a nice interior.

Paddy why no auto's allowed? It's an estate car at end of the day not a two seater sports car. Surely in 2019 you can't have the view that everything on four wheels should be/is better as a manual gearbox?

If so you're a dinosaur, as there's a whole generation of Millenials coming through that never had or saw a manual gearbox, and on the PlayStation they only had or won with trick DSG style autos. And they also know that on the track and spec sheets these dual clutch electronic transmissions are faster. They also have all these auto blipper functions which only facilitates more pops and bangs in their rented premium hatchbacks. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4