Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mental Health Awareness Week 2019

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Mental Health Awareness Week 2019 Reply with quote

This year there is a focus on body image.

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/campaigns/mental-health-awareness-week

Least we forget, the main cause of death of men under the age of 45 is suicide. And IMHO a good way to head off this sad statistic is for everyone to have the courage to talk about mental health issues.

The host on the radio just stated "if I broke my arm in a mountain bike accident over the weekend and I struggled to get into work because of it I'd be telling you all about it... if I had an anxiety attack over the weekend and struggled to get into work because of it... probably not so much."

This is the 21st Century we should be getting passed these archaic attitudes.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does riding a bike make people .. um... go a bit mad - or does it attract those who already are.
(semi serious question, there seems to be a higher % with some issues)

Maybe it's not out of normal range considering preponderance of age group mentioned ^

I've often felt going out on the bike helps keep me sane as it's good thinking time away from distractions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Does riding a bike make people .. um... go a bit mad - or does it attract those who already are.
(semi serious question, there seems to be a higher % with some issues)

Maybe it's not out of normal range considering preponderance of age group mentioned ^

Depends on what you consider normal. Biking attracts certain personality types - doesn't mean they all have mental health problems.
What source or experience gives you the impression they're we're all a bit mad? Do you consider yourself to fit that pattern?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost a good friend of mine 2 years ago to suicide. He would have been 36 yesterday. We had no idea he was feeling the way he did and our group of friends were gutted when we found out.

It sucks that it took this incident for us to open up about our issues and to reach out when things aren't that great, no matter how trivial.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my friends ride bikes, and more than half have been diagnosed with depression at some point or other, myself included. This is higher than the national average of one in four, so there could be something in it re. the mentality of people who ride bikes. I was diagnosed with a deficit of serotonin and for a while the only way I could 'get my kicks' was by doing daft things...

Either that or I am such a miserable bastard that I suck the fun out of everybody's lives Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding across London I certainly get the impression all 125 scooter riders have a deathwish. Not sure how to couch that in psychological terms!

But regarding motorbikes, given the percentage ownership versus cars, I think we can safely say, at the very least, that bikers tend to be "non-conformists" or "unconventional."

But as Russell Brand would say "we're all on the spectrum."

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Most of my friends ride bikes, and more than half have been diagnosed with depression at some point or other, myself included. This is higher than the national average of one in four, so there could be something in it re. the mentality of people who ride bikes. I was diagnosed with a deficit of serotonin and for a while the only way I could 'get my kicks' was by doing daft things...

Either that or I am such a miserable bastard that I suck the fun out of everybody's lives Rolling Eyes

Mmm... thinking about my eldest. She rides the 250W ebike I built her faster than I can ride my 1500W!!! Zero fear.

She's a pretty rough life and contends with Borderline Personality Disorder.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:16 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep i have a problem (as youve all already guessed) i have to rationalize everything yet i brought a motorbike..im still have trouble.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you feel getting a motorbike is an irrational thing? Is it specifically you that feels that way or is it a reaction you get from those around you?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know if the mental health issues we have nowadays are purely due to the fact we are more aware of them and have been ongoing for many years.

Is it the modern society that is driving people to some form of breakdown or is it the modern trends of having to label everything actually pushing people into a place they don't want to be?

Something is seriously wrong and I don't think the so called experts know what it is.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:37 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
or is it the modern trends of having to label everything actually pushing people into a place they don't want to be?

Thumbs Up

Nervous? Nope, that's an anxiety problem.

Organising or tidying stuff? Nope, that's OCD.

Changeable moods? Nope, that's bipolar.

Have a Vice News article: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bjgeg4/stop-confusing-your-nerves-with-having-anxiety

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
or is it the modern trends of having to label everything actually pushing people into a place they don't want to be?

Thumbs Up

Nervous? Nope, that's an anxiety problem.

Organising or tidying stuff? Nope, that's OCD.

Changeable moods? Nope, that's bipolar.

There's something for everyone Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Mental Health Awareness Week 2019 Reply with quote

I'm a mental case... Been an anxiety and depression sufferer for a long time.

I think the biggest issue for most is the feeling of not having a purpose. It's way too easy to come to the realisation that there's no point to anything. You get to an age where you've achieved the key milestones e.g. wife, marriage, house, car, kids... and then you think.. "Well what now?”. You reach a crisis point of, what the fuck is the point to any of this?, why am I here?

The days begin to feel like they’re zooming by, and you’re leading a ‘groundhog day’ like existence, feeling like you’ve contributed fuck all to the world. You work a job that you accidentally fell into, you’re 40 years old, half your life is gone (if you’re lucky) and you still don’t know what you want to do when you get older. You start to see the world for what it is… no one has a clue why we’re here, everyone is best guessing their way through life, hoping not to fall into a trap. There are so many traps…

There’s the materialism trap, a false purpose. People believing that making money to buy things will make them happy… They buy the thing they wanted for so long and within a week they are bored of it… “now what?... Oh a bigger shinier thing… let’s get that.” It’s no wonder lotto winners kill themselves, they no longer have that thing to save up for, they can now have all the things right now, and then they quickly see the trap for what it is as they are robbed of their purpose.

Then there’s the retirement trap, you see people a few years older than you looking forward to retirement… their purpose being to reach that magical milestone… “I’ll just endure another 10 years of this shit and I’ll be free to enjoy myself”. Then these people reach retirement age completely lost and depressed, no longer with a job that was giving them a sense of value/purpose to begin with. “What the fuck do I do now?... swallow the end of this shotgun is what”

We’re a world of lost souls, blindly bumping through life until death finally takes us.

Finding purpose… finding what truly drives people needs to be cultivated at primary school level and practised throughout life. I think this would cure a lot of the worlds ills.

I think the way it should work is the following. In primary school kids should try a variety of pursuits, from mental to physical to design, they should try everything and those that they excel at are recorded. Whichever pursuits are recorded should be the ones they follow at secondary school age. As they get older they slowly get narrow in on the pursuit which brings them the most joy, and in doing so brings most good to the world. Key skills like maths/English etc. can be taught as a secondary skill.. For example a child who has an affinity to carpentry can learn maths as a by-product of becoming a better carpenter.. Working out how to cut angles, make measurements etc… Maths then makes a fuck load more sense as it’s used in a way that makes sense to real world situations.

Anyway I’ve gone off on a ramble. I think about this shit a lot, which is probably why I’m prone to depression.

Last edited by Bubbs on 12:54 - 13 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:54 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no purpose.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
There is no purpose.

Or is there?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true. In the olden days we had the term 'eccentric' which covered the various spectrums, plus depression was simply 'blues'.

I did read that the reason more people suffer from mental issues nowadays is that we haven't evolved to process and deal with the amount of information we do. Back in cave-man days all we had to worry about was food, sex and somewhere dry to kip, whereas nowadays we have millions of additional sources of information to deal with each day.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:28 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Are you saying you feel getting a motorbike is an irrational thing? Is it specifically you that feels that way or is it a reaction you get from those around you?

no just me, i have no actual need for it and half the time i cant be arsed to use it to go anywhere,but i still want one (just not the one i currently have) but i cant get what i want cause id look like a fairy.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:36 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Mental Health Awareness Week 2019 Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
I'm a mental case... Been an anxiety and depression sufferer for a long time.

I think the biggest issue for most is the feeling of not having a purpose. It's way too easy to come to the realisation that there's no point to anything. You get to an age where you've achieved the key milestones e.g. wife, marriage, house, car, kids... and then you think.. "Well what now?”. You reach a crisis point of, what the fuck is the point to any of this?, why am I here?

The days begin to feel like they’re zooming by, and you’re leading a ‘groundhog day’ like existence, feeling like you’ve contributed fuck all to the world. You work a job that you accidentally fell into, you’re 40 years old, half your life is gone (if you’re lucky) and you still don’t know what you want to do when you get older. You start to see the world for what it is… no one has a clue why we’re here, everyone is best guessing their way through life, hoping not to fall into a trap. There are so many traps…

There’s the materialism trap, a false purpose. People believing that making money to buy things will make them happy… They buy the thing they wanted for so long and within a week they are bored of it… “now what?... Oh a bigger shinier thing… let’s get that.” It’s no wonder lotto winners kill themselves, they no longer have that thing to save up for, they can now have all the things right now, and then they quickly see the trap for what it is as they are robbed of their purpose.

Then there’s the retirement trap, you see people a few years older than you looking forward to retirement… their purpose being to reach that magical milestone… “I’ll just endure another 10 years of this shit and I’ll be free to enjoy myself”. Then these people reach retirement age completely lost and depressed, no longer with a job that was giving them a sense of value/purpose to begin with. “What the fuck do I do now?... swallow the end of this shotgun is what”

Anyway I’ve gone off on a ramble. I think about this shit a lot, which is probably why I’m prone to depression.

This is exactly me, well apart from getting the house kids and partner non of which i can have,im left with having to buy things to improve my mood but even that dont work anymore.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Mental Health Awareness Week 2019 Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

Anyway I’ve gone off on a ramble.

A good one though Thumbs Up

I think one needs to keep life about experience rather than stuff.

Chickenstrip solves all the world's problems again! Very Happy Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Ste wrote:
There is no purpose.

Or is there?

No. Or at least, the universe doesn't have a purpose for you. You have to create your own purpose.

Been watching some podcasts on the Joe Rogan Experience that address some of these points. In particular, the ones with Brian Cox and Neil deGrasse Tyson might help put things in some perspective. Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules For Life is good too. All interesting if nothing else.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
So what is it with modern life which is making this issue grow? Pressure to live up to the image of the good life portrayed by the media and to keep away from the perceived victim status?

There certainly seems to be an obsession to create victims now, such as "period poverty", when tampons are 5 pence each and a year's supply can be bought for less than a £10 smartphone PAYG top up.

Actually, they are approx. 13p each and women use on average 22 items per blob (including sanitary towels). This works out at £2.86 every 28 days, or £37.10 per year. A better comparison would be with the price of fags, which are approx. 50p each if bought legit. Smoke 20 of those per day and that is £3,650 per year, or roughly 100 times the cost of tampons...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

I did read that the reason more people suffer from mental issues nowadays is that we haven't evolved to process and deal with the amount of information we do. Back in cave-man days all we had to worry about was food, sex and somewhere dry to kip, whereas nowadays we have millions of additional sources of information to deal with each day.

I do think that the more simple, the closer to the basics you keep things, the happier you are likely to be. Unless you keep looking at what others have.

Some of the happiest times of my life were when I used to do long distance walks. All you care about is where to buy food and where to camp for the night. Otherwise, you just walk and take in your surroundings. It's like a kind of meditation.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the main thing is Roxanne Pallet finally got another gig after "hehitmegate".

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily think bikes and MH problems are linked, you need to take a completely random population pool.
For example, I've heard a lot of the negativity towards Cannabis is explained by "Research shows it causes MH problems."
Possibly people already have MH problems, and find that the odd joint tends to help?

Also, yes a lot of MH problems were addressed under "eccentricity, grumpy, etc. before". My experience is that those who haven't experienced it themselves tend not to understand it, and would tell the sufferer to "Get a grip". I say this because that's how i used to think.

For example, I wouldn't expect someone like mpd (no offense) to understand it in others, and would just say that words have been invented to make excuses for ineptitude etc. these days.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3