Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to earn money on a big bike for example some deliveries?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ko5i
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:21 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: How to earn money on a big bike for example some deliveries? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I been wondering for a while how i could use my 600cc motorbike to earn some money on it. Do some deliveries etc, i looked up online but i could not find anything much, mostly found but they all accept only scooters no big bikes. But I seen a couple of times in here London big bikes that did deliveries even saw 1 with deliveroo box. How was it possible if online they only accept scooters?

I'm in a position where for my job i don't need to use my bike or any really transportation and it just been sitting there so been wondering if there is some way to at least make it earn for the insurance.

Thanks!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Re: How to earn money on a big bike for example some deliver Reply with quote

i3arty wrote:
Hi all,
But I seen a couple of times in here London big bikes that did deliveries even saw 1 with deliveroo box. How was it possible if online they only accept scooters?

Deliveroo don't only accept scooters.

I earn most of my money doing Deliveroo, I use a bicycle. Some people use a car, and some people use motorcycles.

They are not taking any more people on at the moment as far as I know. But they wouldn't stop you using a 600 if they took you on.

As far as I know they have four categories, Cyclist, eCyclist, Motorcyle and Car, you can move between them, but can't do more than one at a time.

Personally if I did it on a motorcycle, which I don't want to, I wouldn't use a 600, but there is no reason you couldn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:44 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find a paying job might you consider charity work? For example, blood or organ courier? Not sure whether you need special training to get into that but it sounds like a worth while use of "spare" bike time.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:30 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
If you can't find a paying job might you consider charity work? For example, blood or organ courier? Not sure whether you need special training to get into that but it sounds like a worth while use of "spare" bike time.

They're looking for it 'to at least earn for its insurance'.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 07:33 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

If only there were people who actually did this for a living then there would be no need for volunteers, oh wait.....

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

This is the bit that made me laugh. OP, have you looked at insurance quotes once you add courier work onto your policy?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's even higher once you declare you are delivering hot food
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I misread the initial post. I shall have to check through the recycle bin and see what I was drinking last night Smile

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:33 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about courier work?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

This is the bit that made me laugh. OP, have you looked at insurance quotes once you add courier work onto your policy?

/\ This.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in London.

You could, possibly get an electric scooter with insurance on a pay as you go basis, but there are so many conditions involved, it's probably not viable. I have considered doing it for the minimum 6 hours (with no intention of actually working, just hooning around on their scooter)

Quote:
are you London based?

Do you wish you could rent a scooter as and when you needed it from just £1.84 per hour*?

Elmovo enables you to match electric scooter rental to your delivery hours

Insurance is included, there are no fuel costs (charging is included) & no long term commitments!

So long as you are a registered Deliveroo rider, you can use our scooter for any delivery company you like!

Once you have downloaded our app and registered you will be invited to one of our London locations for onboarding.

***Marylebone Location open now***

***Wandsworth location opening soon***

*minimum 6-hour rental

Quote edited before pasting by me, as I don't want to be all spammy etc

ko5i
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:39 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, looks like i will just have to accept my 500£ insurance a year, after all its not that bad, will just have to find some time to ride it because when i do have time its raining :/

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:41 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

i3arty wrote:
Alright, looks like i will just have to accept my 500£ insurance a year, after all its not that bad, will just have to find some time to ride it because when i do have time its raining :/

And....rain is gonna melt your bike?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

i3arty wrote:

Bad weather is when you earn money doing Deliveroo Laughing

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delivery driver: Thx1138 would know better, but I get the impression that it's one of those 'self-employed but not self-employed' schemes where you work silly hours for little money.

Policemen: you get an actual salary although being a dedicated 'bike cop' seems less common than in America. Plus you'd be on a high-vis BMW rather than your own bike.

Riding instructor: You get a salary and you can use your own bike! The drawback, you'll be working with the DVLA.

Last edited by SDFarsight on 19:14 - 14 May 2019; edited 5 times in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't motorcycle couriers exist anymore?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP may be living in the past.

The economics of doing such work legitimately in London don't seem to add up. In a city where a one-way tube ticket in Zone 1 costs upward of 6 quid and a bottle of Coke a fiver (Knightsbridge) yet delivery work pays about minimum wage, I doubt any actual delivery riders are still playing cricket and getting courier insurance on top of maintaining a totally legal/legit bike.

I would expect that "someone" would have purchased just enough insurance to not ping ANPR in respect of a typical delivery bike. Lots of fake plates too. There's a black market in Deliveroo accounts too - subletting the job to illegal workers whose expenses may be low enough to make such work economic. They sell for serious money.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between e-mail and all the courier-with-van (UPS, DPD, etc.) the glory days of bike couriers has been and gone Sad

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
Delivery driver: Thx1138 would know better, but I get the impression that it's one of those 'self-employed but not self-employed' schemes where you work silly hours for little money.

Yeah, it's not great, but I get by. I use a bicycle, once I'd factored in performance bonuses and tips I earned about £14an hour last night.

That's nice, but of course it can't always be a weekend evening, some lunch times are dead, and in my area anything between 2pm and 6pm is usually a waste of time

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

The economics of doing such work legitimately in London don't seem to add up. In a city where a one-way tube ticket in Zone 1 costs upward of 6 quid and a bottle of Coke a fiver (Knightsbridge) yet delivery work pays about minimum wage, I doubt any actual delivery riders are still playing cricket and getting courier insurance on top of maintaining a totally legal/legit bike.

Is it THAT much now? Shocked

When I worked in London and had my boat in Uxbridge it wasn't much more than that from Uxbridge to Charing cross.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Bhud wrote:

Is it THAT much now? Shocked

When I worked in London and had my boat in Uxbridge it wasn't much more than that from Uxbridge to Charing cross.

Actually, no, I was wrong. I just checked and the price is currently £4.90. This must have been reduced, because I'm sure it was higher a few years ago. The figure £5.60 comes to mind for some reason.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 21 days between these two posts...
HerryDernden This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Cermitio This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jooble Pumped my Miniture Dwarf Shetland Pony. Rolling Eyes

Adame
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can even register with deliveroo as a bicycle account (no insurance needed) and no one would ever check if you are using a big bike and the likelihood of police stopping you suspecting you are deliveroo and looking for hire & reward insurance are slim.

basically you'll be doing it illegally but many do it like that, mostly using cars on a bicycle account

and let's get this straight, at least in London, bicycle delivery earns not much, car not much but a motorbike makes a very good money. They will never tell you exactly how much, downplaying it (including me), but believe me, you'd be a solid middle-class with being your own boss, working whenever you want
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 317 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2