BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Family car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:18 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Family car? Reply with quote

I'm umming and ahing about what car to buy. Baby Powderhead is here now and I'm driving a VW Fox at the moment which is way too small for us.

Got 12-15 grand to spend on something low mileage, and no older than 4 years old. Needs to be quiet on the motorway, suitable for a family of 4, have pretty decent trim and a few techie toys, be quick-ish, and can't be a diesel because diesels make me want to kill myself.

Considering a Focus Estate. Maybe a 3-series. Maybe even a Toyota Auris, since I live in Kingston and fully expect Sadiq Khan to fuck me over for not having a hybrid at some point in the future Sad

What do? Thinking Any suggestions of things I haven't thought of?
autistboi This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a diesel isn't what you want because charges but remember too that they've moved on a fair bit since 10 years ago. I have a 2 litre that does 144 and gets over 55 to the gallon.

Personally I'd go with something from the VAG group - Seat are probably the cheapest? Dealerships for SEAT up here are very good with customer service.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://stock.mercedes-benz.co.uk/used/vehicle-details/c-180-estate/WDD2042312G268996/104

Mercedes C Class estate.
Friend bought one a few years back. Not that fast, but very comfy on motorways. He rates it highly as an everyday car.
I have an E class estate, but they're pretty much all diesels when you look at them second hand. If you can find a petrol E class, and it's within your budget (I think it'll be £20k plus), it has a massive boot and is a great family car.
I would suggest Subaru outback or legacy petrol models, but I don't think you'll find one at that price. Nice cars though if you can.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a couple with one new baby, right? You don't need an estate and/or SUV (you appear to agree with this but others are suggesting otherwise). We had a Mk2 Focus when our first one arrived and it was perfectly up to the job. The Honda Civic is another good choice, if you can stomach looking at it. SEAT Leon offers a lot for your money, same with Skoda Octavia. Volvo V40? VW Golf is an obvious one, but none the worse for it. Audi A3 sportback or A4 if you have the money.

Having said you don't need an SUV, a cross-over type can be useful, not really for extra space but for the extra height - wrestling a child into their seat is far easier if you can do it without stooping. Something like a Qashqai, RAV4, B-Class, Yeti, Karoq, Ateca et cetera ad nauseum.

Cars we had through our kids' growing up:

Ford Focus mk2 - perfectly adequate; had this from newborn kid 1
BMW 130i (alongside the Focus although we did use it sometimes and it was fine - had this from newborn kid 1)
Volvo V50 - awesome family car; had this with newborn kid 2 plus toddler kid 1
Merc B-class (mk1) - adequate but disappointing; had alongside the Volvo and used the Volvo when possible
Skoda Yeti - very awesome family car.

Currently in a SEAT Leon (this would work OK I think, although the boot isn't as big as I remember the Focus being) and a Volvo XC60 (great car but big and spendy).

Key things you need to know:
- does a rear-facing car seat fit in the back with the front seat in a decent position?
- does your buggy/stroller fit in the boot and can you both lift it over whatever lip there might be, one-handed?
- is the interior wipe-clean? Sick

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:28 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda CR-V

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:

- is the interior wipe-clean? Sick

Yup, my mate had an Alfa Romeo Guiletta with perforated leather seats.

It seeped very deep...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
You don't need an estate and/or SUV

You don't need an estate, but it's a fck load easier to get everything in one. Looking at SUV's I actually found that most of them don't have a particularly big boot space.
My wife has a Honda Civic and it is a good car with class leading boot space, however she's had it for a few years now and with two young boys she wants something with more room. She keeps mentioning the Honda CRV. Not sure what you can get for £15K though.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
You don't need an estate

But it is quite useful generally, for carting around baby stuff, as well as non-baby stuff, furniture etc., and if you go out somewere you have a dry area in the boot, with the back door doubling as a roof, that you can use for baby maintenance, which is excellent.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
She keeps mentioning the Honda CRV. Not sure what you can get for £15K though.

That's what I'm looking to spend or thereabouts. Very broadly speaking 15-16k gets you approved used, lowish miles 2015 ish.
There was a facelift around this time so deals can be done on the 'older' version. I'm in the market for one because I have a huge
dog and the boot space is very versatile. Will also take roof box if you get some additional rails for the factory roof bars.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/car-reviews/honda-cr-v-review-suv-2015

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a long journey I use a box mounted onto a towbar. Less wind noise than a roof box, easier to pack as it's not on the roof, but.... it can interfere with opening the tailgate. I don't put a dog in the back though so once the boots packed it stays packed till we get where we're going.
I think it's called bakrak or something.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kids called it the 'window-licker', but my old Berlingo was a perfect family car, and we had 3 kids plus a mutt. Bought it new in 2005 and only sold it last month, it was that useful. 120k on the clock, still going strong.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:16 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all.

Sister Sledge wrote:
I know a diesel isn't what you want because charges but remember too that they've moved on a fair bit since 10 years ago.

Maybe I just need to try a more modern one, it has been a while since I've driven a diesel! But it would also be good to avoid silly amounts of road tax - I pay enough tax to the bastirts as it is, and I can only see it getting worse inside the M25 Laughing

jnw010 wrote:
Mercedes C Class estate/E class estate/Subaru Outback or Legacy

Good options, but unfortunately they're all over my budget, I'd need more like £18k to get those I reckon.

weasley wrote:
You are a couple with one new baby, right?

Wrong. I should've said! Embarassed One new baby and one two year-old. I expect we'll eventually want another kid as well sometime, but I guess at that point we'll need to be looking at 7-seaters anyway.

weasley wrote:
You don't need an estate and/or SUV (you appear to agree with this but others are suggesting otherwise).

I don't really need an estate, but it would certainly be handy for the extra luggage space. And I don't want an SUV because I still want to enjoy driving the thing!

jnw010 wrote:
Honda CRV

grr666 wrote:
Honda CR-V

Worth a look, cheers. I'm sort of anti-SUV and anti-diesel, but maybe I need to abandon my prejudices and remember that it's supposed to be a family car Laughing

I'm out of touch with the car market these days. What manufacturers offer the best value without being too "cheap"? I'd rather have a well-equipped Skoda than a barebones Audi any day of the week.

The Mrs is only concerned by colour, which is fortunate! The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that an estate is the way to go Thinking

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add I'm only considering the 2.0 petrol V-tec variant. Don't want diesel. I've driven the 2.0 petrol before, they
go well enough for a dog wagon. Got the bike for when I want to go fast. BTW, most of the 2.0 petrols are FWD only the range
topping EX trim level gets (part time quattro style) 4wd on the petrol version. Been looking at these for a while.
I am however also considering the Mazda equivalent, the CX5 in its 2.0 sport guise which is a more 'dynamic' car than the
Honda, with a more engaging drive. Only 2wd available in the petrol variant there as well.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:43 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In basically the same conditions and have just bought a 3 year old Kia Sportage.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like estates. I bought mine (Jaguar XF estate) because of the versatility and is still a nice drive with all the toys.

Perforated heated leather seats however do not mix with baby puke as Lusty Lew already mentioned Laughing

I did look at a Skoda estate and a Volvo but in the end heart ruled head and I got the Jaaaaag. Cool

I would certainly go for an estate or something similar. My previous car was a Ford C-Max petrol. It had awsone amounts of room in it and in the back. I had the 2 litre auto petrol. It was a drinker but the 1800 manual is meant to be loads better.

It's also based on the Focus chassis believe it or not so it handles well for a big lump.

Later ones have rear sliding doors which wifie says they are a godsend with rugrats and car seats. ( I wouldn't know, they go in the boot with the dog when I take them anywhere Wink )

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:00 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am led to believe the Nissan Qashqai is the default option for a family car these days. Has been popular for a while so second hand ones should be widely available in your price range. Top end ones have some toys, plus it's Japanese so should be reliable....

Having said that, in similar situation a couple of years back i went for a Volvo V40. Not as big as a crossover (or estate) obviously but i only have one child to ferry around so has been perfectly big enough. Bit nicer to look at and more luxurious inside than the Qashqai my sister bought at the same time.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Volvo's are quite nice, I'd be tempted by something like this within your budget: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904187125373?atmobcid=soc3

Or if you can stretch a little, maybe this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904217185341?atmobcid=soc3

Practically speaking the first one is a decent shout, if head rules heart.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:37 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skoda Yeti. Brilliant , and if you get the 4x4 even better.
A very practical vehicle.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get a nice estate if:

1, you arnt a snob and must have an SUV/Crossover because it's the thing to have these days.

2, You don't need a high up driving position or need a high car for access, I.e mobility issues.

Your likely to get petrol or diesel Euro 6 car in budget of the age spec you want, but I'm not sure about a hybrid, and how many hybrid estates there are around too?

The only law is don't buy a Fiat Tipo estate or Dacia MCV as anyone that does should be set on fire and then hanged.

There's got to be plenty of nice Civics, Focus, Golf, Skoda or BMW 3-series estates in your budget though, maybe even a Subaru Legacy or Audi A3 estate?

And don't buy anything 4wd unless it's a high up tonka toy go anywhere beast or a saloon/estate car that's got way too much bhp for one axle to transmit to the tarmac.

I know a few people at work with Quashqi/Tucson/ Sportage type cars that are only fwd. And how much of a prick do they look in winter ice and snow in high up SUV's going nowhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:40 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Honda CR-V

Don't buy these. Bad bad bad car.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:57 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volvo.

Obviously.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Honda CR-V

I had a driver buy one of these (petrol, I think 2015 or 16). He got rid after 3 months, was thirsty as hell and he said the seat was crippling him. His truck was an Actros so if the seat was worse than that it must be forged in Hell.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:28 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

15K is a lot of money to spend on something that'll be ferrying around two grubby crotch goblins, get something that you can hose out with a pressure washer and won't mind eventually selling on for a major loss because they've trashed the back of the cabin!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
15K is a lot of money to spend on something that'll be ferrying around two grubby crotch goblins, get something that you can hose out with a pressure washer and won't mind eventually selling on for a major loss because they've trashed the back of the cabin!

Absolutely right. Remember that after the spilt bodily fluids stage comes the mud and food/drink stage. By the time you are doing lifts back from football/rugby, the back seats of your car will look like Verdun circa 1916...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4