Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOD 2 f*ck ups to avoid?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mafioso
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: MOD 2 f*ck ups to avoid? Reply with quote

So i'm doing my DAS and passed my mod 1 last week (which i was bricking it about). For the mod 2 i'm somewhat confident, my instructors have all said i'm a decent rider, and i've been driving cars for a while so am comfortable on the road. But i'm just wondering are there any things i should be wary of screwing up in front of the instructor?

For example one of my instructors told me not to filter during the test, but then another told me that if i sit behind a slow moving vehicle without trying to make progress (he was refencing a truck we we were stuck behind doing like 15 mph below the limit) that might fail me too. Based on the first piece of advice i would have sat behind it, which might potentially have caused me to fail.

Anything else?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:07 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot more things that could cause you to fail your test when doing an overtake compared to when sitting in traffic.

If everyone else is going to be overtaking the slow moving vehicle then you should too.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:43 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filtering and overtaking are two different things.

Stop overthinking. You'll be fine.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ride sensibly, observing all signs and take in (and react appropriately to) any hazards. It's really as simple as that; they want to assess that you're sufficiently competent and safe to be let loose on the roads by yourself - they don't expect perfect riding.

That said, being overly cautious may suggest to the examiner that you're not sufficiently competent; I wouldn't bother filtering down a queue of traffic unless it was REALLY hindering progress (and I certainly wouldn't bother if the examiner is in a car - mine was!). Overtakes - generally wouldn't bother but something like a roadsweeper while sweeping you'd be expected to get past.

One thing to be mindful of; the test centre itself. They frequently have absurd (and strictly not legal) speed limits within the grounds, e.g. 10mph max - I'd suggest observing these too as haring around the test centre isn't likely to get the examiner on side.

Honestly, it's not hard - it's just like riding a bike Wink. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Thumbs Up

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

One thing to be mindful of; the test centre itself. They frequently have absurd (and strictly not legal) speed limits within the grounds, e.g. 10mph max

This is a good point. The Enfield test centre for example is on the edge of an industrial estate with a 20mph limit throughout, but also next to the North/South route which has a 40mph limit. Also there's a back street in Enfield that has an utterly pointless Stop sign, pointless that is except for preventing MOD2 passes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:48 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

depending where it is, if in a city be wary of the speed limits, in london we have constant change from 20-30-40 etc so that was the main thing to look out for, isn't filtering/overtaking optional? tbh I wouldn't bother filtering on a test unless I was passing as above those street sweeper trucks or bin men etc - always do your shoulder checks/life saver and mirror, also positioning in the road will be a big one too for them to look at, don't sit behind buses who are indicating to pull in etc

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently passed on my 4th attempt...

2 of the fails were lane discipline
1 was going through a amber traffic light

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:19 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to fall off.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:08 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be best if you could avoid all fucks ups.

Mafioso
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
it would be best if you could avoid all fucks ups.

Already failed that one too many times to remember i'm afraid. Laughing

Mafioso
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

One thing to be mindful of; the test centre itself. They frequently have absurd (and strictly not legal) speed limits within the grounds, e.g. 10mph max

This is a good point. The Enfield test centre for example is on the edge of an industrial estate with a 20mph limit throughout, but also next to the North/South route which has a 40mph limit. Also there's a back street in Enfield that has an utterly pointless Stop sign, pointless that is except for preventing MOD2 passes.

That's my test centre, so that's a good shout!

Mafioso
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

General consensus seems to be lane discipline, speed limits, and shoulder checks are things to keep on top of. Worth knowing at least.

Thumbs Up

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you f-up you can do the test again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mafioso wrote:
That's my test centre, so that's a good shout!

The Stop sign is at the junction of Scotland Green Road and South Street in Ponders End. They do take you there too, they took me.
My test was interesting as they took me along Meridian way, that was choc a block so I spent a good 20 mins sitting in traffic.
I did a bit of filtering at first, but then realised I would be better off sat behind a lorry. There's literally fuck all they can fail you for if you are sat behind an 18 wheeler for 5 miles Smile
I got back to the test centre and the examiner asked me why I didn't continue filtering, as he was glad I did it.

I just smiled.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:14 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mod 1 was the hard bit -

chill out and relax on the test, enjoy the ride and collect your mod 2 at the end.

Smile

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hope the examiner gets some the night before, and therefore is in a happier, more lenient mood.

Actually you could physically help with the above... Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:16 - 09 May 2019    Post subject: Indicators Reply with quote

Almost failed mine on indicators, forgot to turn the bloody things off after a pull away, he had just given me the instructions about the independent riding + I was looking for the instructor in my mirror.

Didn't normally have a problem with the indicators but it is an odd situation I was 'saved' by having a paranoid secondary check built in.

Examiner gave me a minor and I would have failed a couple of seconds later (at the point where it could confuse other drivers).

Other lesson from this was I forgot to ignore the examiner, don't look for him in your mirrors etc. just use the mirrors as you would if he isn't there and treat his voice as a kind of sat nav.

Apart from the close call, I found MOD 2 much quicker (not sure where the time went) and easier than I thought. Random stuff could happen though in which case you can do it again.

Mafioso
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i failed the mod 2. I got 2 majors and 1 minor. The 1st major was apparently i got too close to a parked car as i was pulling into a minor road, but i don't really know what car or what road he was referring to. I've never had that picked up by any instructor so maybe just a one off? The other was hesitation at a roundabout. Ironically i went through all the major roundabouts fine, but on the independent driving i came across a busy small one with a weird layout that had me thinking all the oncoming cars indicating right were going to go round the roundabout but instead they were pulling off at my exit. I was only waiting 5-10 seconds but the instructor got a nervous about a car approaching behind us and told me to go, instant fail.

The minor was a weak lifesaver on a roundabout, but otherwise he said my riding was fine.

Live and learn i guess, what can you do.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been the hesitation on the roundabout entry that tipped it. A bit more practice with roundabouts should sort that out. Remember, you've got bags of acceleration on your side. Don't pull out on anyone, but if there's a gap then go. The main danger on roundabouts is other people misjudging distances and pulling out on you. People changing lanes without signalling is another danger. But when you're waiting to go, just go if it's clear and safe. If there isn't enough time or space for the examiner, let him worry about that.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:34 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mafioso wrote:
Theres also a back street in Enfield that has an utterly pointless Stop sign, pointless that is except for preventing MOD2 passes.

That's my test centre, so that's a good shout![/quote]

The thing about a STOP sign is to stop. That means stop and put your foot down , not just a blip on the front brake and slow down to .005 mph. You can never look over your shoulder too often , literally before any manouver.
In my day it was arm out at 90^ look over your shoulder, then off you go , twice round the block and look out for a bloke lunging into the road with a newspaper. "The emergency stop". If doing the test gets to be a problem apply to take it somewhere like Bala and have a few days away in the sticks. Traffic is a 'bit' lighter than Enfield!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1