Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GPS trip logging/mileage recording device/app?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:45 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: GPS trip logging/mileage recording device/app? Reply with quote

I'm going to have to start keeping a mileage log so I can be reimbursed for business travelling expenses.

Historically, I'm fucking apalling at this and it's going to land up costing me a fortune in unlogged/recorded journeys.

I'm ideally looking for a device/app I can just leave working away in the background that automatically logs every journey I do and produces a report I can print out every month for expenses claim.

Now I thought one of the in-car GPS devices would do this but I can't readily find one that does.

I don't have a smart phone but I have an android tablet which is GPS enabled and can pretty much be mounted on the dash if necessary. My vehicle is parked within range of my wifi every night.

I tried one app for this called triplog but the autostart feature was apallingly bad, even in the free trial month it would miss out whole journeys and cut lumps off others.

I can't be the only person who wants this kind of thing? I'd even be prepared to pay a modest fee (or preferrably, buy a device as a one-off).

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this and pay just shy on £10 a month, this is because I am lazy and this does everything. I tried free apps and always found them bereft of key features that I'd find useful. Their support is great (London call centre) and it works on my Samsung tablet which is Android 6.

https://autotrip.com/

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Re: GPS trip logging/mileage recording device/app? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'm going to have to start keeping a mileage log so I can be reimbursed for business travelling expenses.

Historically, I'm fucking apalling at this and it's going to land up costing me a fortune in unlogged/recorded journeys.

I'm ideally looking for a device/app I can just leave working away in the background that automatically logs every journey I do and produces a report I can print out every month for expenses claim.

Now I thought one of the in-car GPS devices would do this but I can't readily find one that does.

I don't have a smart phone but I have an android tablet which is GPS enabled and can pretty much be mounted on the dash if necessary. My vehicle is parked within range of my wifi every night.

I tried one app for this called triplog but the autostart feature was apallingly bad, even in the free trial month it would miss out whole journeys and cut lumps off others.

I can't be the only person who wants this kind of thing? I'd even be prepared to pay a modest fee (or preferrably, buy a device as a one-off).

Bike computer.
I used a beast from this outfit on the BSA and mountainous bike.
https://www.mio.com/en_eu/

Quite comprehensive device and the webapp is useful too.
You up-load the device to webapp then it displays you trips with Miles, Altitude, speed stops etc.

I'm on a compromised (shite) hotel network here so its taking ages to open pages.

Garmin satnavs have a 'hidden' screen that shows more info than the normal info screens show. Theres a combination of power button and hidden under the screen button to access this stuff.

Maybe Garmin could even advise if you ask them.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:02 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding you a recurring fresh pineapple delivered once a month was easy compared to finding a mileage recording GPS device app thingy that you can leave working away in the background where all you need to do is print out a report once a month.

There must be a better solution than running one of the clunky imperfect apps on your tablet mounted to the dash. Rolling Eyes

The only ones I've been able to find so far which look like they might be any good are subscription based which seems unnecessary to me. It just needs to run on your computer, the task you need it to do today is exactly the same as what you'll need it to do in 10 years time so I see no need for it to be a subscription service where it's all run via their web portal with a million and one features that you'll never use. Rolling Eyes

I kind of like the look of this https://www.mileage-ace.com/ and it seems to get plenty of good reviews however there are also some reviews for it which don't sing its praises.

The basic version of this is free https://www.mileiq.com

I'm not giving up yet, loads of people must have user friendly inexpensive ways of trip logging so they can get paid for business travelling expenses.

BCF always delivers. Crying or Very sad

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google / Korn already doing it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-view-your-location-history-google-maps

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I use for work, is a crappy old Windows Nokia lumia phone, and I run an app on it called "Map My Run" it works pretty well.

Works without a sim card in it, it's one of only two apps I run (the other is for work outs) battery lasts a day. So, with a decent power bank could last a whole week, just stick it in the glove box maybe?

Not great, but low tech and cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:46 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd have thought it would be totally straightforward. In fact, I thought it would have been the kind of thing they included free in a basic car GPS system like it does on a basic cycle computer

Ste wrote:

I kind of like the look of this https://www.mileage-ace.com/ and it seems to get plenty of good reviews however there are also some reviews for it which don't sing its praises.

It seems good but equally, it's "Only $0.49 a day!". Which I make out as £140 a year PLUS the purchase price. Probably moving out of the realms of a "modest fee"

The MileIQ app costs less but it's also microsoft and I bet it will in some way refuse to interact with my linux PC.

I thought I'd give Triplog another go today...

It fucked up. Multiple times. In one day. No matter how I set it up to start (auto GPS when it detects movement over 5mph, when it connects to the in-car bluetooth, when it detects a USB charger connecting) it still doesn't always start and when it does, it regularly chops the first mile or two off the journey.

It would have cost me 10 miles today alone.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:19 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the bargain price of approximately £130 if paying bi-annually rather than monthly.

Those 10 miles that Triplog would have cost you today would have paid for nearly two weeks of an overpriced mileage ace subscription. Rolling Eyes

Don't rule MileIQ out yet as from what I can tell, it's all done through their web platform so I don't think your Linux PC will be a problem.

I refuse to believe that there isn't a easy answer to this but all I managed to find today is that lots of people are still using pen and paper for keeping a record of their business mileage.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:00 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked through sites and devices until my eyes are spinning.

If I was an employer who wanted to spy on multiple vehicles at once to see if they were skiving off. No problem. A straightforward tool to log where I've been simply and accurately. Nope.

I'm wondering if a tracker might actually be the way to go.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motolog

motogp230
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:03 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: GPS trip logging/mileage recording device/app? Reply with quote

Have you tried Autotrip? They have a tracker for recording mileage and you can also classify trips, as either being personal or business.

It should be pretty accurate since the device connects to the OBD port, so it means that it turns on/off when the car engine starts/ stop.

Here's their website: https://autotrip.com/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:36 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm, something smells of tinned ham.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Go on Ste, you have a stronger stomach for this sort of thing.
Click the link.

Click it
Click it
Click it
Click it

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:01 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

I'll give that a try, cheers.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:04 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Redundant tinned ham since said device has already been mentioned by King29 and I have been giving it genuine consideration.

Knowing that they are a spammy company now makes me considerably less inclined to trust them with my data.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

any Garmin sat-nav will do exactly what you require..

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:28 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pointers for how to make a Garmin sat-nav do what's required?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

By default settings it records date .. time.. speed .. distance .. direction.. in minute detail every second... and all printable or copy paste to a file .. you would need a computer to install basecamp.. free with the device..

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:32 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but how do you make that into what stinkwheel is wanting?

Oh and any Garmin GPS device will tracklog with breadcrumb trails, it's not just the ones with satnav. Wink

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does exactly what he wants .. plug it into cigaret lighter socket so it switches on & off with the ignition.. all that's needed is extract the information from the track file and print off the details ..

here is the sort of information it records...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:10 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem with that is I don't have windows and garmin stopped linux support. (in fact, they not only stopped it, they deliberately made their devices incompatible with the old garmin linux software and took the legacy support down).

I know because I have a garmin GPS for sports. I can lift the GPX files off it and open them in a 3rd party program (I use viking) but they are a fiddle to do. It also runs the track as a single long trace as long as the device is powered up. My current device would barely hold a days worth of triplogs.

It would do it but I suspect would be too much of a fiddle. I think you'd need to manually power down the device at the start of each journey too.

There is always the garmin connect website but it's pretty glitchy and they can't seem to stop themselves fucking about with it all the time.

I'll have a go with my fortrex though and see what it comes up with.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:36 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
it does exactly what he wants .. plug it into cigaret lighter socket so it switches on & off with the ignition.. all that's needed is extract the information from the track file and print off the details ..

here is the sort of information it records...

The data still needs processing so that everything necessary for claiming business mileage is presented in a report that HMRC would be happy with if they were doing an audit.

I was slightly hoping that you knew a way of making the Garmin ecoRoute app do it without the hardware they no longer sell. Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The data still needs processing so that everything necessary for claiming business mileage is presented in a report that HMRC would be happy with if they were doing an audit.

yep.. and never used the app you speak of ...

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Only problem with that is I don't have windows and garmin stopped linux support. (in fact, they not only stopped it, they deliberately made their devices incompatible with the old garmin linux software and took the legacy support down).

never had or used linux ..
oh .. well .. time for your plan B then..

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't something like this be potato simple for some tech person to have a script that reads a GPS unit every so often and puts it in a file?

stinkwheel wrote:
Only problem with that is I don't have windows and garmin stopped linux support.

How about a windows virtual machine or WINE.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2