Suzuki GP100 bogging at Full Throttle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
That Wemoto kit has most of the important bits so could work wonders.

The only word of caution is that I used their kits once to replace the float valves on my TZR250 race bike and they wouldn't seal up and kept pissing fuel. On inspection, the float valves are visibly shorter so never sealed. In fairness I sent a photo and they refunded me immediately.

I ended up going to Allens Performance and bought 2 sets of float valves and cup kits. Expensive but did the job.

For £25 though, it has many of the parts needed to help the carb. Just make sure you clear out all holes and passageways too.

Also, don't forget a blocked or restrictive air filter will cause it to run rich too.
OK will bear that in mind if I buy the kit Thumbs Up

The carb has been cleaned by first bike shop already and to be fair it all looks great inside, what I've seen of it so far, so it would just be a case of replacing bits. But will obviously check it all if I end up taking it apart completely.

Air filter is standard and I've cleaned it, but it wasn't really dirty anyway. No blockages in from airbox into engine that I can see or feel (or from the air intake into the airbox from the rear).

Think plan of action is to do what I listed, then I'll order the carb kit and change the stator for good measure if I get time before the carb kit turns up. I also have a new set of genuine points so I can put them on the stator I bought from ebay before I fit it, along with the new condenser I've already soldered onto my original stator.

If none of that fixes it I am kinda stumped. Unless of course the replacement stator I've bought has exactly the same problem! Rolling Eyes

I will keep this thread updated though, because one thing I've found whilst doing my trawling is that lots of people post up problems on forums, get offered suggestions and then NEVER return to say what finally fixed it!! Mad

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

evening all....

Just thought I'd popst an update from the work over weekend.

Swapped to a lower main jet, which made no difference whatsoever, so I have put the original main jet back in. Took exhaust off and checked it and I am pretty sure there is no blockage.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and change the stator plate and see if that is my issue I think.

Aside from that I guess I'll need to look deeper and do a compression test to check for worn rings or worse Crying or Very sad

Does anyone have anything good to say about the "budget" compression testers you can buy from ebay or amazon?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:31 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what replacing the stator plate will do to help. GPs have points, and not cdi and so doesn't have a high and low speed coils.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I don't see what replacing the stator plate will do to help. GPs have points, and not cdi and so doesn't have a high and low speed coils.

What powers the points?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:08 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were the stator it would be not working all the time. I'd be looking to see if it has a broken advance (if it has one, it was a long time ago I had one so can't remember.)

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I can gather, it has fixed timing, no advance/retard.

As for what powers the points and ignition coil, again from what I can work out and from reading the manual with my (very limited) mechanical knowledge is that the stator has two coils, one for the lights (headlight and tail light only work when engine is running) and the other is for charging the battery and I assume providing power to the points, ignition coil etc? The battery isn't needed for the bike to run, all the battery does is power brake light, indicators, neutral light and horn (I think).

Could it be this "charging" coil breaking down under load?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:28 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve_W wrote:
from what I can gather, it has fixed timing, no advance/retard.

The points and ignition coil, again from what I can work out and from reading the manual with my (very limited) mechanical knowledge is that the stator has two coils, one for the lights (headlight and tail light only work when engine is running) and the other is for charging the battery and I assume providing power to the points, ignition coil etc? The battery isn't needed for the bike to run, all the battery does is power brake light, indicators, neutral light and horn (I think).

Could it be this "charging" coil breaking down under load?

No, if it were breaking down under load it'll be when it's hot, not at a given trottle position.

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hot is "hot" before it's likely to start breaking down?

I only ask because when I changed the main jet at the weekend and took it for a quick run, I initially thought I had fixed it because it felt like it was pulling better as I set off, but as soon as I got off my estate and onto the main road it was being a twat again Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 07:15 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they break down they fail completely until they cool down again, which would take about half an hour.

It would be miraculous if it was your stator plate coil at fault simply because its failing on a given throttle position.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:18 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question: Are the points new? They wear out and as well as the gap changing, the actual electrical contact surface becomes hitty missy.
Have you replaced the points (cheap!) and set the gap correctly?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:47 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually wondering if the points are in the correct position to set the timing right.

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:01 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The points are not new, when I took the bike in for the carb to be cleaned, they also checked the timing and said it was spot on.

As mentioned, they are not new points, but Bike shop said "they're OK" and the way he said OK I interpreted it to be "not completely buggered but not in A1 condition".

I do have a new set of Genuine Suzuki points that I was going to fit to the used stator I have bought and was also going to fit the new condenser I bought that is currently on my existing stator.

Nobby, not sure what you mean about points being in correct position if the timing has been confirmed as OK?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve_W wrote:
The points are not new, when I took the bike in for the carb to be cleaned, they also checked the timing and said it was spot on.

As mentioned, they are not new points, but Bike shop said "they're OK" and the way he said OK I interpreted it to be "not completely buggered but not in A1 condition".

I do have a new set of Genuine Suzuki points that I was going to fit to the used stator I have bought and was also going to fit the new condenser I bought that is currently on my existing stator.

Nobby, not sure what you mean about points being in correct position if the timing has been confirmed as OK?

Worteh changing. I had an issue with my A100 which I believe was points related. Due to wear on the cam follower part I couldn't set the gap correctly which had an impact on timing I believe. The contacts looked fine BUT that's not the only part that can degrade.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might change the points but leave the original stator in there for now?

I've also ordered a carburettor repair kit, which means I can eliminate a worn jet needle etc as well.

I probably won't have much time to do this until the weekend, but will update as and when I do each thing with my results.

Once again, thanks for all your help you lovely people Laughing

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The points cam lobe will likely have a lubrication felt pad somewhere? My old Yamahas used to. If it's not looked after it dries or the oil goes hard on it and the contact part of the points wears as has been mentioned.

You know what? I reckon new points will fix this. It's easy peasy to replace them - follow instructions fully though because you could damage the taper on the crank and that's bad!
Replace the points and report back. I'd avoid stators for now and just do easy bits.

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I'd avoid stators for now and just do easy bits.

A man after my own heart Laughing Embarassed

It was what the bike shop suggested to try first, but it seemed the most difficult to do, so I have left it til very last!

In fact I honestly think I would prefer to rebuild the carburettor with the complete repair kit I've bought than change the stator! Smile

I'll change the points first, I might see if I have time to do that this week one evening but if not it won't be until Saturday. By then the repair kit will be here for the carb, so I can do that easily enough now I've taken it apart a couple of times to swap main jets during this troubleshooting process.

The lubrication pad was a bit dry when I changed the condenser, so I did take it off and put more oil on it then, but I don't know how long it had been dry for (I've only had the bike since February).

Anyway, will let you know how I get on Smile

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:37 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I reckon new points will fix this. It's easy peasy to replace them - f

..if you have the right puller.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:54 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Damage to the crank is incredibly easy to do - knocked threads or bent shaft.
Mind you - they're wanting to replace the stator so it's coming off regardless.
I'm not familiar with the GP100 - was it a small threaded puller? Must be easy to get one if they don't have a decent puller set.

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:44 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing I bought when I realised I had a problem that could be electrical was the right size flywheel puller Smile

The hardest part of removing the magneto flywheel when we changed the condenser was undoing the nut that holds it on! Using the flywheel puller made removing the flywheel a piece of cake Thumbs Up

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update on this as I'm still suffering the same problems, although maybe my initial description could have been a bit misleading as it's not exactly correct......

I have now replaced all electrical parts of the ingition:-

ignition coil and HT lead
    replaced stator with used ebay purchase
    new condenser
    new genuine Suzuki points
    new spark plug ( I've bought 4 more so once it's finally running properly I can do plug chops to ensure mixture is correct etc.)

Compression tested and that seems absolutely fine.
Exhaust is not blocked as far as I can tell.

Timing is set correctly to 1.87mm BTDC (used a gauge to find TDC and 1.87mm before TDC) and proved points opening at correct time with multimeter. Points gapped correctly also.

Took bike out for short run. picks up niceley at 1/3 throttle and will rev all the way up the rev range as far as I could until the road ran out!

As soon as I open throttle much more than that when trying to accelerate it dies (bogs?) as it always has done.

So.......

I took air filter out and ran it up the road (each "test" run was only around a mile to avoid causing damage due to being too lean etc). No difference.

Took airbox off completely and ran it. Was improved but not 100%.

Took carb cover off and ran it up the road. Massive difference. Pulled all the way to 8k before it started to struggle - I'm guessing due to it then being too lean at that point due to TOO much air?

So I think this kind of proves to me that it has to be fuel related after all, and that it is far too rich at certain points in the rev range?

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a carburetor repair kit that I bought from wemoto, so I am going to start looking at doing that next, but take a look at the needle that is supplied in the kit compared to the one that is currently on the bike......

https://i.ibb.co/sHzRvYJ/jet-needles.jpg

Now either the original (on the left) is VERY worn, or the new one (on the right) is fecking massive!!!!

I might just try moving the clip up each notch on original needle first as it's a quick easy job, just to see if it helps. it's in the middle at the moment, so I can lean it off by two notches on original needle anyway. Guess it's worth a try,

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:58 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see where the original is worn because thge gold anodising has been worn off.

The new needle is a totally different shape so I would expect the kit to contain a new emulsion tube as well.

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no emulsion tube in the kit, so I guess that needle is next to useless for me really Sad

This is what came in the kit:-

https://i.ibb.co/wh17WrP/carb-kit.jpg

I am going to have a play with the original needle first anyway, just to see if that makes any difference, but failing that I guess I'll need to try and find an original needle from somewhere.

There are actually a couple of old threads on BCF with people having exactly the same issue as I am having, also with GP100s, but annoyingly there is no resolution! Sad

Buy an old bike they said, it'll be fun they said...... Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Steve_W wrote:
There's no emulsion tube in the kit, so I guess that needle is next to useless for me really Sad

I'd still give the new needle a try though. It could be running very rich if it only revs out on 1/3 throttle and allowing more air in improves things.
That new needle will definitely lean things up.

I knew a guy who spent months trying to get a TZR250 race bike running correctly after trying all sorts, from carbs, electrics and in the end another complete engine. He got so frustrated he flogged it on the cheap. The new owner realised he'd never swapped the needles and left them connected to the throttle cables, just replacing the rest of the carb. This turned out to be the issue - badly worn needles.

You did mention very early on in the thread about the needle possibly being worn, when my initial thought was the main jet.

I think I can safely say it's nothing electrical as aside from the loom I don't think there's really anything else I can change now! (always thought it was fuel related somehow, just decided to trust a bike shop instead of my own instinct I guess given that they're supposed to be the experts Laughing)

When I next get the chance I will try moving the original needle just to see if it makes any difference. I guess if it's not too worn moving the clip up the notches may help a bit.

Failing that I'll try the new needle too, just to see what happens anyway. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3