Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

spraying a front fender

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fred3606
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: spraying a front fender Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was recently in a collision involving someone reversing into me. Luckily only the front fender seems to be damaged but I am having trouble finding a new one.
I have an SV650s k3 in "Sonic Silver".
These parts must really be running out because after ordering from 2 different places and being told they cannot source them I am struggling to find any at all let alone at a sensible price.
There are other colors and carbon fibre ones available at various places so my question is this.
Is it possible (/a sensible option) to buy some item of a different colour and an aerosol and lacquer kit for around £40 and spray it? Would the quality and durability be acceptable? Will the extra layer provide fitting difficulties? is there a better or cheaper way to repaint it?
TIA
Fred

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:13 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe wrap it?

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:28 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried these two places?

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/browser/manufacturer/suzuki

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/shop/online-store/suzuki-parts-finder.htm

Also have you considered getting a second hand part from ebay?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: spraying a front fender Reply with quote

Fred3606 wrote:
I was recently in a collision involving someone reversing into me. Luckily only the front fender seems to be damaged but I am having trouble finding a new one

Where're the pictures of the damage, Fred3606? Question

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:16 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: spraying a front fender Reply with quote

It looks like the front mudguard fender for SV650S K3, K4, K5 and K6 models are the same so I think you can widen your search.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/508c7b5ef8700220a8311a9b/front-fender-model-k3-k4-k5-k6

Rather than buying one that's the wrong colour and respraying it, I'd wait until one the right colour turns up on eBay.

How broken is your current one?

Fred3606 wrote:
a new one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/53111-16G11-YD8-Suzuki-Fender-fr-5311116G11YD8-New-Genuine-OEM-Part/332609621305

edit: typo

Last edited by Ste on 12:26 - 07 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total

Fred3606
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses
Irezuma - I think I had a look at those sites. None in the correct colour to be found!
Haven't got any pics I'm afraid. The fender was basically just completely fractured though duct tape is holding is fine for now.
Ste - I have been looking on Ebay but I didn't find the last link. That may well do the trick, thank you.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Ste's contribution, sir might like to play with this eBay search:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=SV650s+front+%28fender%2Cmudguard%29+-%28extension%2Ckit%29&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI. I bought a ColoRite kit for a VFR fairing that I painted after repair. The paint applied in 3 stages with a base coat, color coat, and clear coat. I was satisfied with the paint job, until I saw the fairing in the garage under fluorescent light...the color was way off. Looked great in the sun, like shit in the garage. Called ColorRite: "The Honda pigments are proprietary", they said, "no way to match them exactly under all light conditions." See the attached pix and keep in mind if you decide to paint it yourself.

Last edited by jeffyjeff on 20:19 - 07 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somebody reversed into you do you know who it was? If you do then who's paying, you or them? If it's somebody else then in my opinion you're more than justified in getting a new one from Suzuki rather than scrabbling round on eBay for one to respray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fred3606
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 07 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reijufixing, thanks thats a nifty search trick
jeffyjeff, that's worth knowing, I may try and avoid respraying if possible in that case
1198, yes, the other driver has been very pleasant about the whole thing and says she will pay for it. The problem is Suzuki don't seem to still do that part. I think I checked and the SV650 is not in the vintage parts program either.
Think the previous ebay listing might do the trick. Going to take almost a month to get here of course but ahwell
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1