Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So, cornering...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: So, cornering... Reply with quote

I started riding in January and over the last couple of weeks I feel I'm getting a lot better at cornering. So this being BCF I'd really like someone to cut me down and bang on about how little I know Cool

Now at the CBT I was taught one needed to load the front suspension rather than grab at the front brake so as to gently shift the weight towards the front and also press the tyre in a little to the road for a bigger grip area. Well that makes perfect sense.

What I didn't realise is this also alters the geometry of the bike by shortening it a little: a smaller vehicle with wheels closer together can turn tighter but is also more unstable (leans easier.) "FFS! I should know this!" The wheel diameter of my ebike is around the same as the 125 but the wheels are frighteningly close together in motorbike terms. Hence the ebike's scary/agile mix even though it tops out at a lot less top speed.

(Note to self: find longer frame for next ebike build, downhill racer frame not long enough.)

And then obviously it follows that gradually rolling on the throttle releases the front suspension and effectively increases the length of the bike making it more stable (stands up.) I may yet get the hang of this...

tl;dr "You know nothing, Jon Snow!"

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty new to this myself (passed beginning of October) and have read about the shortening wheelbase effect of braking while cornering and I believe it is a bona fide technique, albeit I suspect more on the track!

I was taught countersteering during my training which was helpful, but I've found these tips have also helped (and before anyone mentions the chickenstrip thread, they've been worn down a lot more now!);

- Grip the tank with your knees
- Loosen up the grip on the bars
- Lean forwards slightly so your torso/shoulders are "loose" rather than taught with the bars
- Slightly move your upper body into the corner (not quite hanging off the bike mind you!)
- Look at the exit point and use peripheral vision for hazards
- Slow in, fast out
- Commit to the corner; I was told, and have learnt from experimenting, that it's a far more pleasant experience to put some extra lean to get around a corner than to wobble on the brakes praying the front end won't wash out

It's odd - the first few months (which to be fair were slippery autumnal/early winter months) I didn't have much cornering confidence at all but it's getting there now and I can feel it steadily improving. Feels good doesn't it Mr. Green

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Arsecrackers Reply with quote

Horseshit. You only go into corners at a speed you can stop in the space you can see. Bike goes through it...you gripping on for hope only upsets the bike. Imagine it's you with partner... when they grab your excitey bits, it's not really that arousing. When they are gentle however...... hmmm. You were 'taught' cornering. Ha ....teflon will be along soon to point out how 657 years of motorcylisting hasn't made him, or us, any better at not dreading. It's just luck and ball sweat.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch “A Twist of the Wrist”

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:58 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
Watch “A Twist of the Wrist”

No, just dont. KC is rather good at re-selling ideas about how to ride a motorbike, wrapped up in a heck of a lot of his Church-of-Scientology pseudo scientific babbel, and I seem to recall that almost quarter of a century ago, he basically admitted a lot of it was guff, having given up trying to actually teach any-one (or at least, yank!) anything, expecting on demand instant panacea for thier money.

Personal Inhibitors? Yeah, we call that 'FEAR'... its there for a reason... don't ignore it, just cos chap on you-tube in a General Custer beard, in star-trek announcer voice, says to "Go Beyond!" you MIGHT not come back from beyond!

OP has a second rate Chinky 125, and even the first rate ones are't exactly endowed with an awful lot. What KC advocates, significantly for Septic 'newbs' on heavier wight tackle, often cruisers or tourers, REALLY isn't particularly pertinent to a UK newb, on L's on a Keeway 125!

Even the suggested advice so far, vis weight shift and geometry change, to my mind is RATHER skew.....

The wheel-base, on my 125 is 1.3m... wheelbase on mt Seven Fifty, just under 1.5m.... the 125 does NOT 'grow', on either by more than a cm under 'weight-shift'.. And if I have reduced the fork rake by any appreciable amount, I have either been braking hard enough to get the back in the air, and/or I have bottomed out the front suspension.... in either case, not a desirable or particularly helpful situation to be in!

Hardly? This is NOT something you really need vex over at this stage.

GO GET YOUR LICENCE!

You don not need tips on advanced riding technique to pass test!
And that's the stage you is at!

You need know little more, here and now, than "WATCH WHERE YOU A$E GOING!" and "In SLOW, out a tad faster"
But mostly just watch where you are going! how the geometry changes and chit, means effall, if the back end steps out on some mud you didn't spot, or derv you didn't smell.

GO GET LICENCE!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is nothing if not reliable Wink

Got my theory next week BTW.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:56 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overthinking WAY too much, especially at this stage.

Aim to enter a corner in neutral trim (so neither accelerating otr decelerating) having completed any braking or downshifting before you turn in. Approach all corners with a wide line (right handers from the gutter, left handers from the white line)

Look at where you want to go. This is the most important point for cornering sucessfully. I find visualising a line painted on the road you want to follow helps.

Get back on the power when you see the exit.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:13 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive found pushing down on the footpegs helps corner sharper ( right one foe right turns, left for um left obvs)

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the front brake to load the front tyre as you go into a corner, but that generally means you're deliberately going "too fast" because "normally" you'd have done your slowing down phase primarily with the bike in a straight line.

If a corner does surprise you, save the personal telling off for later. In the meantime push the bar which points to the corner you want to go round (counter steering) to initiate the turn quickly.
Lean your body into the same direction and push down on the same peg.
Don't grab the front brake and don't look at the ditch / opposing kerb / car / tree (you will then hit it).

Look where you want to go!

You can use the rear brake to pull the nose of the bike into the turn in place of the front brake (grabbing the front brake makes a low side washout more likely as you've not been able to load the front up in time in the up/down straight phase).

Bottom line. Don't over complicate things. Read the road so slowing down is done before the corner.

The vanishing point is useful for helping to read the road. If its coming towards you quickly, slow down, if its moving away then you can probably speed up (taking in the usual road markings, signs, weather, traffic, views, location etc).

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
ive found pushing down on the footpegs helps corner sharper ( right one foe right turns, left for um left obvs)

Weight shift doesn't have much effect on a moving bike, but the body movement makes you counter-steer without realising. Leaning off to the right (or dropping the right shoulder if you like) makes you push on the right handlebar and pull on the left, starting a right hand turn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was trying to put my finger precisely on why a motorbike that cruises happily at 45mph, tops out at 55ish feels like a motorised arm chair - it's just such a relaxing ride Smile

And then the ebike that cruises at 25mph, tops out at 30ish feels like a insane death machine Shocked I do find myself doing a lot more shoulder checks on the ebike now than before getting the 125 so that's something.

Apologies for going overboard on the over analysis but I do have this habit of trying to make sense of things. As my old sales director used to say: "your problem is that you find answers to questions that never should have been asked!"

Anyhoo, discounting the stationary 90° bends, i.e. traffic lights, there really isn't as much cornering in my daily commute as I'd previously thought. I find myself crossing the town a lot more just for kicks as there are some lovely bends that aren't really on the way to anywhere.

tl;dr (again) enjoyment factor skyrocketing over just the last few weeks - nice weather helps ofc Very Happy

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:28 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
I do have this habit of trying to make sense of things. "your problem is that you find answers to questions that never should have been asked!"

The questions have been asked, but you don't yet have the experience to make sense of things. You need to think a bit the basics of about what you're doing, looking through a corner, vanishing point, until it becomes second nature. Then worry about weight shift, wheelbase, rake, trail, sag, unsprung weight etc. They'll make far less difference to your riding than nailing the basics.

If it helps, it feels like I can throw my 125 Cruiser around with merry abandon compared to my Viffer. In reality the Viffer is competent enough it makes the same corner boring and uneventful at the same speed etc.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:37 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
You can use the front brake to load the front tyre as you go into a corner, but that generally means you're deliberately going "too fast" because "normally" you'd have done your slowing down phase primarily with the bike in a straight line.

This.

Trail braking is great for a race track, where you are obviously trying to go as fast as physically possible, but 'as fast as physically possible' is not really how you want to approch riding on UK roads, where grip can be inconsistent, and tractors and children lurk around every corner.

Get your braking done before you tip in.

ThunderGuts wrote:
I was taught countersteering during my training which was helpful

No, they just gave a name to what you were already doing naturally, and made your life slightly more difficult, as now you were thinking about it.

The ONLY way a motorcycle changes direction at speed (and by speed I mean anthing over about 25mph) is by countersteering. I have no idea why training centres bleat on about it as if it's an optional technique. Laughing

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:02 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst it's not really possible to steer the bike properly without counter steering it helps to be consciously aware of the effect as you can use that knowledge to turn in more sharply and out the bike where you want it with greater ease. I have a friend who has been riding for years but only recently had counter steering explained to him after reading the roadcraft manual. He struggled to understand how it worked until he tried it consciously but now that he has he is far more comfortable cornering at speed as it lets him tip in his big adv bike and adjust his line more easily.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Whilst it's not really possible to steer the bike properly without counter steering it helps to be consciously aware of the effect as you can use that knowledge to turn in more sharply and out the bike where you want it with greater ease. I have a friend who has been riding for years but only recently had counter steering explained to him after reading the roadcraft manual. He struggled to understand how it worked until he tried it consciously but now that he has he is far more comfortable cornering at speed as it lets him tip in his big adv bike and adjust his line more easily.

Very much so. There's a particularly terrifying clip on youtube of a guy swerving into an oncoming lorry because he tries to "normally steer" away from it. This happens several times, each time he presumably can't fathom out why the bike keeps standing up (happens in a matter of seconds).

Monkeypony wrote:
The ONLY way a motorcycle changes direction at speed (and by speed I mean anthing over about 25mph) is by countersteering. I have no idea why training centres bleat on about it as if it's an optional technique. Laughing

Yes and no . . . in all practical terms you're right, but in reality it's about getting the lean angle where you can corner and balance the forces, but balancing forces while you get to that angle, which is where countersteering comes in, effectively throwing the bike off balance into the corner by steering away from it. Once leant over, you (consciously or otherwise) steer into the corner slightly but as long as the steering input balances the existing lean, you don't lift up out of the corner. Reducing the steering input reduces that force which causes the lean to increase, i.e. introducing more countersteering mid-corner, but you still need to then replace it with some steering into the corner to balance the forces. I suspect the bike's geometry helps towards this quite a bit has the wheel will want to tip into the corner. The same effect can be achieved by unbalancing the forces in a different way, i.e. by shifting weight onto the side of the bike where you want to turn, but is significantly limited in effectiveness because the chances are the only weight you can shift is your body (and part of it at that) which probably isn't much compared with the weight of the bike. The lighter the bike (particularly the wheels because of gyroscopic effects) the less effort it'll take . . . ultimate example is a bicycle which you can introduce the necessary lean by shifting your body weight. So on very light dirt bikes it might be possible to steer without countersteering.

But I digress . . . as you say, the only practicable way to go around a corner at speed on a motorcycle is by countersteering. I do love the physics of it all though. Laughing Incidentally, although not needed, I now countersteer on my bicycle too when going at speed - it's far more effective. Looking forwards to trying it out the next time I've got my touring bicycle loaded up with 30kg of luggage.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a contrast I found, at very low manoeuvring speeds I was neglecting to steer - literally trying to lean my way round junctions and mini-roundabouts. Much better at that now but I could probably do with practising some tight U-turns (in disused car park, obs.)

Is this a good example of countersteer?

https://youtu.be/VbF882DM3ME?t=121

Wink

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the video of the guy getting it wrong. He did survive I believe (somehow!!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVE79XT8-Mg

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:23 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh-Kay.. KCode promoted "Counter-Steer" AHRGHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Every man and the stray dog down the cut" wrote:
The ONLY way a motorcycle changes direction at speed (and by speed I mean anything over about 25mph) is by countersteering.

Because if you say it often enough and loud enough, the lore becomes 'common knowledge', bit like medieval flat-earth dogma.

Root of this bit of neuvo scientific Dogma, stems from our Keith Code, promoted way beyond tenability, but 'proven' in very very Scientologist fashion, by his demonstrating it in his videos with a five year old riding a push bike!

And the whole 'con' of the matter hinges on his giving the nice neat and catchy, scientific sounding title "COUNTER STEER" to the whole gig!

Start at the beginning; DEFINE 'Counter-Steering'... I dare you!

Code 'seems' to do it... but actually he doesn't... and he uses the term to cover just about anything and everything that happens when steering a motorbike, so that in by blunderbuss logic, EVERYTHING suddenly becomes 'Counter-Steer' whether its the act of turning the bars the oposite way to the way youy want to ster, or any and every reaction to steering in the force 'progression' of the job..... a-n-d suddenly everything but NOTHING is actually 'Counter-Steer' !

Every man and the stray dog down the cut" wrote:
The ONLY way a motorcycle changes direction at speed (and by speed I mean anything over about 25mph) is by countersteering.

Repeating the KC approved dogma... and ITS NOT TRUE! Sounds good, looks reasonable But it is STILL NOT TRUE!

Somewhere I unfortunately cant find atm, I have a some photo's I took at the 1990 BGP at Donnington, of Kevin Schwantz, stood on the pegs of his Suzuki, waving his hands in the air like he dont care, doing his Victory Lap.. pretty sure that he was going more than 25mph, even waving to the crowds.... but no hands on the bars, no 'counter-steer' he was STILL 'cornering'..... But, I dont need to study the photo's of others 'steering' hands-off; I've done it enough myself!!!

A-N-D... back to KC's church of Scientology reasoning... he even proved it in the same chuffing video, with his 'No Bars Bike!" that STILL 'some-how' manages to steer, even with the rider, gripping fixed feux bars to keep all else equal....

This idea that you HAVE to 'KC counter-steer' to initiate a turn is basically borrox, which IF you actually listen to what the chap says, he even contradicts himself, more proved the contradiction!

Begs a small tweek to the defanition of 'Counter-Steer'.. and to define KC Counter-steer NOT merely as any and every aparently counter progression effect happening, BUT, practice of 'Contra-Bar-Loading'.. not actually turning the bars the opposite way to the way you want to go, but merely applying an opposite FORCE to the bars WITHOUT actually steering them... and more... ONLY to initiate a turn, and start the steering happening.

And it is NOT the 'only' way to even initiate steering!

Progression Effects. Newtons 3rd Law of fizziks, "Every Action has an equal and opposite RE-action"

When you load the left bar, 'as if, but without actually, steering 'right; the bike reacts to oppose the change, with an equal and opposite reaction trying to make the bike steer to the left... NOW relax force on the bar as this force starts to come into effect.. and because of the 'lag' between your applied contra-bar-loading and the reaction, by the time the reaction force has got there and has enough oomph to actually shift anything... its got no force to oppose.... but it carries on, under its own 'momentum'....

NOW! Newtons 2nd law of motion.... Force is Mass times Acceleration, you have force, the REACTION force, and its trying to oppose the change; but by the time it occurs the force it is trying to oppose has been removed... but.. its started to shift stuff.. stuff that has mass, hence it has kinetic energy 'momentum' and by the same Newtonian laws which go onto the conservation of energy, and the 'momentum' is in play and KEEPS the action happening, trying to steer the bike 'contra' to the initiation force, and actually moving stuff, like the forks and front wheel, THAT actually makes steering happen.

The 'neat' bit about KC Counter-Steer... by contra-loading the bars, and getting this reaction force happening.... you get that 'reaction' force helping, rather than hindering you....

IF you 'immediately' steered the way you wanted to go, then N3L would still happen, but the reaction would try to oppose the change in the opposite direction, and keep the bike upright and steering dead ahead... so you would have to do more work and likely do it slower, trying to push against the reaction force you caused, in the first place.

Contra-Bar loading, or the first bit of KC Counter-Steer, then works, getting the reaction force to help steer the bike the way you want to go, rather than resist you trying to keep it strait and level.

A-N-D, that is as far as the science lasts in KC Counter-Steer doctrine.... and is quite intereesting and even useful as LONG as that's as far as you try and stretch it..... which unfortunately, KC-Counter-Steer acolytes generally don't!

KC-Counter-Steer, only lasts as far as we consider the bars and bar loading, in the steering dynamic.

Call it Contra-Bar-Loading, rather than counter-steer..... that's what it is, and actually, oooh, so.... its a LOADING not STEERING! And its on the bars! So... does this work loading the foot-pegs too?

YEAH! Cos motorbikes turn by tilting, MUCH more than they steer by twisting the wheels in relation to each other.

This now starts to explain the lie, that the only way to turn is by KC Countersteer, actually, contra-bar-loading.... as he proves himself you don't need even touch the bars, let alone load them to turn!!

And more; Kevin Scwantz etc can ride round Donington race track, 'No Hands', not touching the bars let alone loading them, making the bike steer by initiating the turn, through peg-loading, and or weight shift, making the bike tilt to turn.

And guess what? Yup, Newtons 3rd Law still applies, and every action still has a reaction, and lags still occur between action and reaction, and we get a whole 'Progression' of forces from any initiating force, and it can 'seem' as if the initiator to any particular chain of events or forces that make a bike turn one way of t'other, is an apparently 'contrary' input to what you would expect... This does NOT mean 'counter-steer' is at work! But KC can point to it, and apply the term, and the blunder-buss starts to go off!

Eg, contra peg loading... you push down on the left footpeg, this should make the bike lean to the left, and hence go left, or more likely stop turning right....

B-U-T, its only a 'force', and every action has an equal and opposite, so, you push down on the left peg, and the reaction tries to resist that change, and make the bike 'sit up' or lean to the right.... Same idea as loading the 'wrong' bar... but on the pegs....

BUT wait.... there's more! As you push down on left peg with your boot... that same force trying to tilt the bike more to the left is working both ends of your leg.... and trying to lift you up and to the right.... Now you have a dynamic of forces... and a PROGRESSION happening, and not just the bar or peg loading going on, but also weight shift, and whilst those loading and weight shifts are trying to sort themselves out, you have the Reactions to them.... and occurring not immediately, but at a lagged time delay due to momentum....

A motorbike turns by TILTING, as much as it does by twisting the front wheel in relation to the back

A-N-D you have to factor in the fact that it has wheels and them wheels is going round, probably quite fast, and have quite a lot of weight, hence momentum themselves, and you have a gyroscopic force to consider as well...

That gyroscope will inherently try and oppose any applied change, but also, gyrocopic progression is perverse, and it will try and react to any change at 90 degrees to the change.....

Hence, you lean left, wheel wont try and turn to the right.... it will try and lean to the right

It now gets mind warping, because we have bar steer, we have tilt steer A-N-D we have gyroscopic steer... ALL happening at the same time, all trying to react to a change, all then trying to react to each othyer, reacting to a change....

AND WE HAVE PROGRESSION EFFECTS!

What reacts to what, what, in a chaotic scenario is the primary initiator, and what is a reaction, and whats a reaction to a reaction, as the three tussle it all out.....

Oh fkit! Its too complicated, it dont make sense, theres an exception to prove every rule... lets just grab that blunderbus and call the whole shebang '(KC) Counter-Steer, and let folk go turn the wrong way into oncoming trucks, overcoming their Personal Inhibitors, and let them figure it out for themselves.... as long as we have got their $9.99 before the ambulance chaser, who cares.....

Which is all very KC knocking, but he is NOT a scientist, he is a Scientologist, and all of these great tretese on motorcycle control owe more to theology than to science.... so put your faith where you want... but do NOT fall for the hype its anything BUT faith...

And PLEASE dont go swerving into oncoming Scanias in some misguided belief that steering the wrong way is how it should be done, and its only scary cos you haven't gone-beyond!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
A load of hooey

Sit on a bike.

Any bike.

Travelling at 40mph.

Turn the bars to the right.

Which way do you think the bike will move?

Here's a hint - it'll move to the left.

At 10mph, the opposite is true.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth noting that loading the pegs with your hands off the bars will make the bars move in a similar manner to counter steering. Watch any stunt rider standing with their hands off the bars.

Keith Code may spout pseudo science and inaccuracies but counter steering (or whatever term you want to invent) works. Hence why it's taught in the roadcraft manual amongst other places.

It's not only mechanism to initiate a turn but it's by far the most effective and other methods create similar forces and movement in the bike anyway, just to a lesser extent.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first read about counter-steering in the famous 'Richards Bicycle Book', which I think pre-dated Keith Code's descriptions. It's not pseudo-science.
https://productimages.worldofbooks.com/0330267663.jpg

Teflon-Mike wrote:
No hands victory lap.

Big, wide track, slow speed. Time and space for this inefficient means of steering to act.

If folk are looking to use peg-weighting to help the bike corner on the road they're simply not using the... what's it called?... ah yes, the steering correctly.

Counter-steering, whether unknowing or deliberate, quickly leans the bike. It instigates the turn, which is the hardest part for a newbie in a panic. An educated, human voice from the very centre of a panicked primate brain saying, "remember, push the right bar to go right" can save your bacon, especially if you can also look up the road to where you want to be, not transfixed by the tree straight ahead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Somewhere I unfortunately cant find atm, I have a some photo's I took at the 1990 BGP at Donnington, of Kevin Schwantz, stood on the pegs of his Suzuki, waving his hands in the air like he dont care, doing his Victory Lap.. pretty sure that he was going more than 25mph, even waving to the crowds.... but no hands on the bars, no 'counter-steer' he was STILL 'cornering'..... But, I dont need to study the photo's of others 'steering' hands-off; I've done it enough myself!!!

Yes, you can shift your body to turn the bike with no hands on the bars. But if you look down, as you shift your weight to the left, to turn the bike left, you'll magically witness the bars move to the right. Because "COUNTERSTEER"

Fuck me, it's physics, not rocket science. Whether by physical input or weight distribution, to only way to make a bike at speed change direction is to have the front wheel pointing in the opposite direction.

It's not something you learn. It's not something you can 'choose to do, or not'

It's just how bikes turn.

All this crap is exactly why training centers should never even mention it!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

If folk are looking to use peg-weighting to help the bike corner on the road they're simply not using the... what's it called?... ah yes, the steering correctly.

I wish I still had that copy of Road Racer magazine where they talked about this (wish I'd kept them all actually - a good publication, it were). Unfortunately, I can't really remember anything that was said now (it was nearly 4 decades ago after all), but some racers in there seemed to think it was a valid technique on top of everything else. Maybe it only really comes into its own at track speeds or something, or maybe they just used it as a more subtle technique than conscious counter steering with pressure on the bars.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my CBT they never said anything about steering at all beyond related stuff like rear brake dragging and clutch feathering for walking pace manoeuvres.

I did see something about so-called "counter steering" early on but a) they seemed to be going very fast in the video and b) my mate with the CBR600RR said not to worry about it: "you're probably doing it subconsciously anyway." So I didn't (worry that is.)

Very interesting stuff though as just watching a 'tube video only gives you one person's opinion and the comments section hardly facilitates a quality dialog like wot we do 'ave on 'ere Smile

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:20 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I first read about counter-steering in the famous 'Richards Bicycle Book', which I think pre-dated Keith Code's descriptions.

No, it doesn't. First piublished in 1983, it doesn't even pre-date Twist of the Wrist, first published 1982. Meanwhile Code started to promote his ideas of 'Counter-Steer in the mid 1970's, creating the Californian Super-Bike School in 1980; as aspiring club road-racer and part time journo, gaining guro status in the states, mentoring some of the US super-bike stars, converting from dirt to tar at the time, where he extolled his ideas eventually offered in the book, maybe five or six years later.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Counter-steering, whether unknowing or deliberate, quickly leans the bike. It instigates the turn, which is the hardest part for a newbie in a panic.

Lets qualify that; Keith Code lore Counter-Steering; ie contra-bar loading to initiate a turn by progression effects....

Back up, as suggested, DEFINE 'counter-steer'....

I never said that 'Contra-Bar-Loading' doesn't work, or isn't at times dang useful.... BUT, Code doesn't stop at Contra-Bar-Loading to start steering progressions, he uses the term 'counter-steer' indiscriminately to all manner of steering influences, contrary or other-wise, and then says, WRONGLY, 'You cant steer a motorcycle without countersteering'!!!!

Well, IF you define Counter-steering as the act of contra-bar-loading to initiate a turn... that's patently not true; as Kevin Schwantz victory lap demonstrates, however wide the track, whatever speed he was going; and even more Code proves his own statement to not be true with his demonstration of the no-bars-bike!

You cant have you Kyak and Sink it! Pick a definition And bludy stick with it!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2