BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Works for me

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Works for me Reply with quote

In the interest of not getting sucked too deeply into the sock puppet and political wars going on elsewhere on the forum.

So I saw this on a recent run out:

https://i.postimg.cc/tgLRk35c/DSCN1206.jpg

I don't think photos do it justice. Actually seeing it in the flesh, it was a very pretty bike, and I think this time Kawasaki have really caught the retro theme nicely. The Zephyrs always had a slightly porky look to me, but this didn't seem like a big heavy lump, the lines seemed to flow from most viewpoints, sounded quite nice, if a little muted on the standard pipe.

Looks were always the first thing that fired me up about any bike, and this is hitting the spot in that way for me, although it took seeing this one outside of a showroom to do it. Wonder if I could live with one? I suspect I'd want a little more oomph than it'll have as standard, but it seems to me like the kind of bike you could mess around with a bit, give it more go, tidy up the handling, spend a few quid to make it 'yours'.

So would anyone here consider buying one? Anyone else feel the love for it?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's prettier than the new Katana but that's all i can say about it. Still too much monoshock, too much water cooling for my liking. If you're going to have that shite you might as well have a modern looking bike rather than something vaguely pretending (if you squint hard enough) to be an aircooled 80's monster.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:26 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
In the interest of not getting sucked too deeply into the sock puppet and political wars going on elsewhere on the forum.

So I saw this on a recent run out:

https://i.postimg.cc/tgLRk35c/DSCN1206.jpg

I don't think photos do it justice. Actually seeing it in the flesh, it was a very pretty bike, and I think this time Kawasaki have really caught the retro theme nicely. The Zephyrs always had a slightly porky look to me, but this didn't seem like a big heavy lump, the lines seemed to flow from most viewpoints, sounded quite nice, if a little muted on the standard pipe.

Looks were always the first thing that fired me up about any bike, and this is hitting the spot in that way for me, although it took seeing this one outside of a showroom to do it. Wonder if I could live with one? I suspect I'd want a little more oomph than it'll have as standard, but it seems to me like the kind of bike you could mess around with a bit, give it more go, tidy up the handling, spend a few quid to make it 'yours'.

So would anyone here consider buying one? Anyone else feel the love for it?

Prefer the unfaired, but pretty much agree with everything you said. I really love the bronze/orange one. I want to test ride one, but if I do I might end up buying one, and I don't really want to do that. To be honest I think it probably has enough 'oomph' for a bike of that style...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:28 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

I saw an unfaired one (err, I think it was) in black and did think it was quite pretty.

Of course a ZX9R would probably offer as good a riding experience for a tenth the price! Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:46 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

G wrote:
I saw an unfaired one (err, I think it was) in black and did think it was quite pretty.

Of course a ZX9R would probably offer as good a riding experience for a tenth the price! Smile

*sigh*

I kind of agree with this... but even the newest ZX9R's are 15 years old now... and they don't look as nice.

I've been through this whole cycle recently by buying a 2000 VFR800 which is a great bike. Far better than it should be on paper. It's a surprising amount of fun considering it has an enormous barn door fairing, slightly low spec suspension and sliding caliper brakes. Really the brakes are what let it down.

However, compared to it's modern Kawasaki equivalent the Z1000SX, it's just not a match. When new? Maybe. 20 years after it rolled out of a Hammatsu factory? Nah. Things are just breaking on it. Much like you or I G, once we get to a certain age bits of us don't work as well as they used to. Be that shoulders, elbows, knees, eyes, regulator rectifiers, brake hoses, throttle cables etc.

It's natural for us ~40 year olds to get misty eyed about the bikes that were great during our late teens and early 20s... especially those that can now be had for £1500 (which to olds like us is nearly throwaway money) but it's impossible to deny that modern bikes have more to give. Whether that extra is worth £10,000 I have no idea. But I do know that most people don't give a crap about that and just stick it on PCP these days anyway.

And they just look pretty.

To those whinging about monoshocks, wheels and air cooled ness... Nah. That would all be a step too far and they wouldn't sell You're talking about a Zephyr! Blau would you rather have a Z900RS or a Zephyr? Seriously? You expect me to believe that?

I think Kawasaki have pitched this bike absolutely perfectly. They have the perfect balance between retro and modern, and I love it. Shame it doesn't really fill a role for me right now, else I'd probably have one. As it is I may have to go Z1000SX or modern VFR for ULEZ reasons at some point...

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

To those whinging about monoshocks, wheels and air cooled ness... Nah. That would all be a step too far and they wouldn't sell You're talking about a Zephyr! Blau would you rather have a Z900RS or a Zephyr? Seriously? You expect me to believe that?

I'd actually quite fancy an 1100 Zephyr. Bang a Z1 type paint job on it, a set of flatslides and a noisy 4-1.

I absolutely detest water cooled bikes so no i wouldn't have a Z900RS, especially not for the silly money bikes cost these days.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I get the dislike for LC with bikes like this, given I got into bikes when air cooled still ruled the roost, but I guess I'm used to it now - at least this has a nod to cooling fins.

Don't get me wrong; this couldn't replace my Fazer - too much invested that I'd never get back, and I've grown into it too much to part with it for something else. But it could, too, if you get my drift.

As to monoshock - a lot of folks back in the air cooled days would have converted from twin shock if they'd had the money - many did. MarJay's point about the actual originals ageing is a good one. Ageing not only in that they're wearing out, but ageing in the sense that they're heavy, slow old beasts by today's standards. That's what I liked about this 900RS - it didn't look like a big lump, was smaller than I'd expected, and of course the LC engine means it's slimmer than old Z1s and the like. I remember when LC just started to become common, and I too felt a little resistance to it - but I'd never have turned down a GPZ900R when it hit the showrooms! I don't mind living in the past sometimes, but I don't want to do it all the time.

Zephyrs somehow missed the target for my taste.

G - well, you're a bit of a sports bike fan I think, which I also get, and the ZX9R certainly was a good bike, although not the sportiest of sport by today's standards. But I don't think it's a relevant comparison here, not for me anyway. If you're going to make comparisons, it seems to me to make more sense to compare with other upright style bikes.

The fairing on this one brought to mind the old GS1000S.

I also think this Kawasaki is a bike that would be easy to live with on a daily basis.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Last edited by chickenstrip on 13:14 - 16 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:14 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

I absolutely detest water cooled bikes so no i wouldn't have a Z900RS, especially not for the silly money bikes cost these days.

I urge you to put the numbers into an inflation calculator and go back to, say 1998 (when I started riding) and see what you could have bought at the time. A £10k bike now is about the same as a £6k and change around that year.

The SV has stayed between £4000 and £5800 since it was released, which means you can get a brand new SV650X for the equivalent of a 1998 £3200 or so... That's a lot of bike for the money! I realise SV's aren't your cup of tea, but it's a decent example I have to hand of a bargain bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't even thinking about how much this bike might cost new. If I thought I was going to get one, and new was too expensive, I'd wait a few months until a nice low mileage second hand example came up - its how I was able to own half the bikes I did.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here had a test ride on one?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

G - well, you're a bit of a sports bike fan I think

Although I think you're actually more a fan of logic, and having the best tool for the job in every situation. But some of my favourite bikes and times spent on them threw that out the window! Laughing

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:10 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

id stick with what you have and get EVEN more experience on it.. Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:12 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Has anyone here had a test ride on one?

No, but I really want to, and may well soon.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
id stick with what you have and get EVEN more experience on it.. Wink

If I had the money, I'd be out on my bike every damn day Sad

Cheeky bugger! Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
To be honest I think it probably has enough 'oomph' for a bike of that style...

Yeah, I know, but, ya know? Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:36 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:
To be honest I think it probably has enough 'oomph' for a bike of that style...

Same power as my VFR... about 20kg less weight. I'd say that's perfect for the road. When you start to get above about 120bhp, you can't really use it as much...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Same power as my VFR... about 20kg less weight. I'd say that's perfect for the road. When you start to get above about 120bhp, you can't really use it as much...

Yeah, but that's G logic talking. Where's the fun in that? Laughing
And anyway, mine's got 140-ish RWHP - I'm not using most of that most of the time, but you'll take it from me over my dead body!

I appear to be regressing...

I can just see it with this bike. GT200Fan got it with putting flat slides etc on a Zephyr. It's just what you do with a bike like this!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:24 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

I'm also a fan of being careful with my words - you'll note I did specify 'riding experience' when comparing the two Smile - I was actually thinking about ABS when I wrote that.
I still haven't owned a bike with ABS, but if I was looking for a bike to have some commuting use I would prefer it, now it's fairly ubiquitous.

Oh and 'the fun in that' is having less than 80hp for me! I definitely have the most fun on the roads with around 35-80hp.
More power and range of power means less work and involvement in the ride.

I do still hanker after a 200hp track bike, but even with working shoulders, I expect I'd have more fun on a supersport and maybe finding other supersports to play with (ie bit of club racing), than changing the bike to find more people of a similar lap time.
(Actually yesterday's track evening I had three people doing a similar lap time to me - two modern litre bikes and a CB500!)

One of my problems is that a lot of modern bikes don't seem to have much more to give - ie CB500s which have got heavier and slower and not massively more fuel efficient I don't think.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it too. Would have to be green though. I might go try one just to see. I'm not after changing the Spacker just yet.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:50 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

G wrote:

One of my problems is that a lot of modern bikes don't seem to have much more to give - ie CB500s which have got heavier and slower and not massively more fuel efficient I don't think.

I agree that modern small bikes are shit. Ninja 400? Nah rather have a ZXR400. CB500? Might as well have an old CB500! Bikes don't start to get measurably better until you reach something like an MT07. Even the 600's are falling off in performance due to Euro4.

But 1000s? wow. Totally worth it, and the traction control and ABS mean that they are more useable these days too. I wasn't sure until I rode the Z1000SX and I realised that the traction control and ABS took nothing away from me, but gave me that extra safety net. I think if I were to choose any new bike now for fun I'd probably go with a S1000R or 1100 Tuono, although losing that ability to thrash the bike might be a dealbreaker.

So, in that regard I'm perfectly happy with my Street Triple for the road, the CBR for the track and I may buy a newer bike for commuting, but a lot of that is down to ULEZ reasons.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

G wrote:
I'm also a fan of being careful with my words - you'll note I did specify 'riding experience' when comparing the two Smile - I was actually thinking about ABS when I wrote that.
I still haven't owned a bike with ABS, but if I was looking for a bike to have some commuting use I would prefer it, now it's fairly ubiquitous.

Oh and 'the fun in that' is having less than 80hp for me! I definitely have the most fun on the roads with around 35-80hp.

ABS or no ABS - don't think I'm that bothered, never having ridden a bike with it.

Quote:
More power and range of power means less work and involvement in the ride.

I don't entirely agree, although I do understand what you mean. I think it's a different kind of involvement is all, enjoyed in different circumstances. All bikes I've ridden have been "involving" in one way or another to me.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I like it too. Would have to be green though. I might go try one just to see. I'm not after changing the Spacker just yet.

I suspect your Spacker (still laugh at that name Laughing ) is probably more fun in an aggressive kind of way than this would be, but I think the Kwak looks better - evokes more emotion from an aesthetic viewpoint, although that may be just to do with the bikes I grew up with. I could envisage a supercharger on one of these though Twisted Evil

OTOH, MarJay might be right, and it might be just fine as it is. I see a few options in such a bike, and I think that's part of the appeal of it. Perhaps if I had two of them... Smile

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How heavy is it?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

215kg wet.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not tons heavier than mine at 188kg wet. Interesting.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4