Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Works for me

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 15kg lighter than my Fazer, but a lot less power. Which is why I thought I'd probably want to liberate a few more ponies. I'd be ok with standard for a while, but I know what I'm like Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
In the interest of not getting sucked too deeply into the sock puppet and political wars going on elsewhere on the forum.

So I saw this on a recent run out:

https://i.postimg.cc/tgLRk35c/DSCN1206.jpg

love for it?

https://pics.me.me/meh-30728430.png
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, I like that it pulls off the look while having USD forks, monoshock, radial callipers and water cooling.

However they managed proper retro authentic levels of power.... 109BHP. Surely they could have given us more from an IL4, 948cc liquid cooled lump, a GSXR600 manages more and weighs less. With an extra 348cc's I want more power.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the naked ones.

I've never been a fan of the kwak green so not so enamoured with that but in a nice deep red or black Wub

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:26 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 15kg lighter than my Fazer, but a lot less power. Which is why I thought I'd probably want to liberate a few more ponies. I'd be ok with standard for a while, but I know what I'm like Laughing

I reckon it has a fair bit of potential, considering the Z1000SX with only 100cc more makes 140bhp, and that's pretty much pegged back at that capacity.

[edit] Just did a google. The Z900RS has milder cams than the Z900... the Z900 makes 115bhp stock, and it looks like an exhaust and remap can get 120bhp at the rear...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

Had a few "what bike" conversations with folk over the last 9 months and its this bike that I come back to as being the only bike (beyond a Striple 765 RS) that I would buy as a next bike.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:13 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

Quote:

ABS or no ABS - don't think I'm that bothered, never having ridden a bike with it.

I've never had to use the ABS on a bike I've ridden which has it; but on bikes that don't, I've had a few cases in the wet where I'd like to have been able to grab the front brake really hard and let the bike bring me to a stop as quickly as it's reasonable feasible to do for the conditions - while instead I've stopped a lot slower than I'd have liked - one time that involved a minor contact with the car cutting me up.
Quote:

I don't entirely agree, although I do understand what you mean. I think it's a different kind of involvement is all, enjoyed in different circumstances. All bikes I've ridden have been "involving" in one way or another to me.

Some people absolutely find speed 'involving' in it's self - I don't.
I do enjoy however using some skill to achieve that speed - it may be just keeping a revvy bike in the powerband, or taken a bit further on a track or off road, where your limit may be traction coming out of a corner and trying to keep it as close to that limit as you can, without pushing too far past it.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

Anyone else feel the love for it?

Nearly, but not quite; fairing too big, side panels not big enough, the proportions don't quite work for me.

The Japs have always liked doing tribute vehicles and, occasionally, they get them spot on, but more often they just miss the mark.

As a former ELR owner, I think Kawasaki did a better job with the ZRX11/12

Last edited by Shaft on 22:29 - 16 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're nice but (without riding either of them) I prefer the Honda CB1100, which contrary to what you might think is also cheaper. Less powerful but the engine is the genuine air-cooled article. Twin shocks as well. Altogether the Honda is a bit more authentic to my mind, whereas the Kawasaki is more of a retro dress-up of modern mechanicals.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:28 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

Not sure how much they have in common with the ZX9R engine, but I've still got the tuned head giving 143rwhp from one if anyone fancies an upgrade! Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

G wrote:

Some people absolutely find speed 'involving' in it's self - I don't.
I do enjoy however using some skill to achieve that speed - it may be just keeping a revvy bike in the powerband, or taken a bit further on a track or off road, where your limit may be traction coming out of a corner and trying to keep it as close to that limit as you can, without pushing too far past it.

It's not speed per se for me; got over that some years ago. I had my Street Triple up to an indicated 140 on a couple of occasions, but I rarely see that even on the Fazer nowadays. For one thing, I can't afford the fuel!
Firstly, it's the acceleration of the more powerful bike. I love that feeling of sheer brute shove. But it's also being able to control that extra power in any given situation. And although I did enjoy throwing the lighter Triumph around in the corners, there was actually less involvement, I felt. It coped with it all too easily (apart from that mine didn't have the suspension set up properly and got bounced around on bumpy roads cos it was set so feckin hard Rolling Eyes ), didn't require as much input from me. I can hustle the Fazer through a series of bends, but it requires a bit more thought, a bit more care to do it at the same rate. I like that. That's involving.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both the ZRX and the CB1300 aesthetically - they also hark back to when I started out on bikes. Not sure that they're near the top of a "want" list though. A retro look with more modern performance and decent handling (not necessarily at sports bike levels) is what appeals to me.
Back in the day, most people didn't leave their bikes bog stock. As I said, many would do monoshock conversions if they had the money. They would fit a performance exhaust, ditch the airbox for pod filters and upjet to suit - again, many who had the money would take tuning even further. And cosmetic mods were popular too. I always loved the Kawasaki Z650 (the original air cooled IL4), but I'd still modify one today to get the look I loved back then. I'd want to do similar to this 900. I see a bike that has enough of the right elements as a base to work from.

Undoubtedly the suspension will be budget, for example. And as has been discussed, a bit more power wouldn't go amiss. A nicer sounding exhaust. And although I do like the green more than other standard colours, I could also see it in a combination of black and bright red.

It's like my Fazer in that I saw it could be improved, but started as a decent enough bike (although that wasn't actually my motivation for buying my first one - took me a while to find out what could be achieved with it).

Sometimes it's nice to have a bike that's perfect right out of the crate (can anybody name one?), but making it uniquely yours is something that appeals to me, and always has done.

And there's a very personal element to it all for me, too. I can't have a sports bike; haven't been able to ride them since wrecking my FZR1000EXUP and myself back in September of 1991 - that means I've missed out on everything from the first R1s and Blades, never ridden any of them. But there's a part of that I still like the idea of, and maybe for me it starts with a retro look, but with everything upgraded to be the best it can be. So mono shock is what I'd want, as are good brakes, good suspension etc. I don't want retro for retro's sake. Not unless I could afford to own many bikes.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having, keeping, maintaining and riding older bikes and classics takes more commitment. They're often more difficult to ride, with uncertain frames and no ABS or rider aids, weaker brakes, thinner tyres, worse shocks and swingarms, etc. They take a bit of time and patience too. The classic bike lot strip down and rebuild bikes asif it's nothing, while the modern-day rider might not even be able to change his oil. They take work and attention, and their owners have more skill and knowledge than millenials with their digi dash displays.

Someone my age chopping up and spraying a CG to make it resemble a BSA Bantam (which only my grandfather would have remembered seeing on the road) would be called a hipster poser. I mean, sure, the CG is a better bike in every way, but trying to project myself as a VMCC dyed-in-the-wool moto autist would ve a wank move.
Someone in their 30s or younger buying one of these retro Kawa muscle bikes must surely be the direct equivalent and cut from the same moto hipster faker cloth. I say this because it's a styling exercise on a modern platform.

Last edited by Bhud on 00:43 - 17 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Someone in their 30s or younger buying one of these retro Kawa muscle bikes must surely be the direct equivalent and cut from the same moto hipster faker cloth.

Well, I don't know. Is it impossible that anyone from that age group could like it for its own sake?

I'm not really into supposing what others may or may not like or why. I like this bike. That's it. Very Happy

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know. Is it impossible that anyone from that age group could like it for its own sake?

I'm not really into supposing what others may or may not like or why. I like this bike. That's it. Very Happy

No, that's just a fashionable line being peddled a lot nowadays. Nobody is mysterious. We are products of nature and nurture. If what you said was true, there would be no advertising industry and consumer psychology wouldn't work. The only reason I've even heard of a Vincent Black Shadow is through the media. I am not of an age where these things were objects of admiration and desire. Just an example.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

No, that's just a fashionable line being peddled a lot nowadays. Nobody is mysterious. We are products of nature and nurture. If what you said was true, there would be no advertising industry and consumer psychology wouldn't work. The only reason I've even heard of a Vincent Black Shadow is through the media. I am not of an age where these things were objects of admiration and desire. Just an example.

I'm going to have to admit I don't really know what you're talking about Laughing
No mystery in any of this for me.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I think it's clear you like this bike because you have fond memories of the old stuff.
I somewhat like it too, because it was a very cool man's bike in all the moto brochures back in the day when the real thing was still new.
Not enough to want one, because it's the idea of what it represented rather than the actual bike.

The idea of what it represents right now to a younger petson who was neither a kid dreaming about bikes in 1987 nor a rider back then? Surely it's got to be a desire to be seen as more competent and experienced than thet are. It's a lot like the Harley thing (in Britain) and the whole allure of American exceptionalism. Except with this gen of retro bikes the 70s and 80s and not the 50s are now thought of as the age of Real Men.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
It's a lot like the Harley thing (in Britain) and the whole allure of American exceptionalism.

You've lost me too.
I though people bought Harleys because they liked the way it plods along like a big potato and it puts a smile on their face. I've never met anyone who's bought one because they wanted to be an American.
What on earth is the "allure of American exceptionalism"?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:13 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I agree. I think it's clear you like this bike because you have fond memories of the old stuff.

I'll concede there's a part of it for me that's that. Those first Z1s and the like are what formed my taste. But I didn't like the Zephyrs and they're much closer to that original look - I like this new bike much more. Can you explain that? For me, that's not all this particular bike is about.

Quote:
I somewhat like it too, because it was a very cool man's bike in all the moto brochures back in the day when the real thing was still new.
Not enough to want one, because it's the idea of what it represented rather than the actual bike.

Here you are confusing your reasons for mine. I would actually like to try one of these, and hope I wouldn't actually find it to feel like an old Z1 - my one of those felt like a tractor after all the bikes I'd owned up to that point, and I don't want to own another one - I'm fairly certain this will be a much nicer bike to ride, in which case, it'll be the fact that things have moved forward that appeals.

Quote:
The idea of what it represents right now to a younger petson who was neither a kid dreaming about bikes in 1987 nor a rider back then? Surely it's got to be a desire to be seen as more competent and experienced than thet are. It's a lot like the Harley thing (in Britain) and the whole allure of American exceptionalism. Except with this gen of retro bikes the 70s and 80s and not the 50s are now thought of as the age of Real Men.

It may be that younger folks have got used to different styles - the angular look of more modern fare perhaps. But I've met quite a few younger folk who like, for instance, the classic rock of the 80s. Not because it represents something, but because they just like it.
I like some classical music from the 18th and 19th centuries, not because I think it's cool to do so, a fad or trend - I just always have. And art is another example - I like a Turner or a Constable (very different styles), but I like them because I have some understanding of painting, having dabbled myself, not because it represents something I aspire to - I admire the skill, and much of the art of my own lifetime I just can't get my head around; it's not aesthetically pleasing to me, and I just don't see the same skills in play.

I think what I'm getting at is that some things are timeless, and are liked from generation to generation. It may be that each generation has their own reason for liking stuff to an extent, but some things, some looks, just last. Some lines, some colour combinations are just pleasing to the eye. There will always be exceptions with people because we are all different. I don't think all people of x or y generation think the same.

Having said all that, I grant you it's probably more likely to appeal to those of my own generation.

I don't think I'm putting my point across very well.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appeals to me purely because I loved the Z1 and it's family and thats the primary market Kwak are aiming at. If it appeals to others because they like the look, that's extra on top of their sales demographic.

The ZRX was a more realistic retro machine but wasn't designed as a blatant copy of one of the companys most successful and iconic products.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The ZRX was a more realistic retro machine but wasn't designed as a blatant copy of one of the companys most successful and iconic products.

What is "a more realistic retro machine"?

I like that this has generated the discussion it has Smile

"Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital. When critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself."

But also:

"All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril. Those who read the symbol do so at their peril."

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are talking a proper take on the old Z1 this annihilates Kawasaki's own attempt....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40901100013_8c7644524e_o.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
If we are talking a proper take on the old Z1 this annihilates Kawasaki's own attempt....

No, that's not a "take" on a Z1 - that IS a Z1. I'll bet this new bike outperforms it and out-handles it.
That's what I see this as - a new bike, but with a nod to the old. Direct comparisons, imo, are pointless.

Thanks for posting that particular piece of bike porn though - it is beautiful Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:05 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

It's not ULEZ compliant! Wink

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's not a "take" on a Z1 - that IS a Z1. I'll bet this new bike outperforms it and out-handles it.

I would wager that would see off the Z900RS (which barely cracks 100bhp). I think the Sanctuary tuned Zeds are 130bhp, and use new frames that are made to look like the original. Also look at the quality of the running gear and wheels on the Sanctuary bike compared to the bargain basement crap on the RS. Kawasaki could of been much braver in reimagining the Z and done it at a much more sensible price than the Sanctuary bike. Granted it probably would of ended up water cooled but these things can be disguised pretty well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4