Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Keeway air filter high flow

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kurt peil
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:14 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Keeway air filter high flow Reply with quote

Firstly Hi everyone 1st time posting, I own a keeway superlight 125cc it works fine for what I need although I changed my air filter for the look but since I changed it sputters and even dies out if I go full throttle I need to run with the choke little bit on and it sort of works(not very good) I d like to keep this aesthetic feature amongst others stuff I already done now I think that i know the main jet is 173 plz correct me if i m wrong my question is does anyone knows what should i do as my new air filter is more flowing kinda short pipe and massive side filter kinda what harley would have on side should I get bigger jet, adjusting needle c-clip, both? I suppose I could always restrict the air somehow but want to empty the exhaust from silencers as its way too quiet, tricky situation and I also would need to know if anybody knows where to buy main jet set as I couldn't find any on line or is it smth I should do myself?thank you in advance for your help

Thank you for your time

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:29 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the proper filter back on.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the actual fuck are all these Superlight people coming from?!

And what have you done to this wonderful machine 'cos even the very early ones have side panels completely covering the air filter box! Please don't tell me you've gone all café racer and stripped it right down Sad

Regardless, and this applies to any carb bike, if you add more air you need to add more fuel to maintain the air/fuel ratio so yes, you'd need a larger main jet.

The carb is a PZ27A, a copy of the 27mm japanese Keihin. Search Aliexpress for Keihin 27mm, PZ27 or PZ27A jet kits.

With regards to the exhaust I've seen some Youtube videos where people go at them with a drill to "improve" the noise. The later exhausts sound much better so I guess someone at Keeway cottoned on Smile

A little pricey but all the Superlight parts can be found here:

https://www.superlightpartscentre.com/

Don't bother with Keeway (MotoGB) as they don't know their arse from their elbow Sad

I have the original service manual and EFI addendum if you need it.

(oh and for future reference punctuation in sentences is appreciated!)

Kurt peil
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:01 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reply indeed I have tried moto gb twice and twice it ended up nowhere

I will now try the link you sent me and yes I have started to strip the bike down I want to make it more individual I already lowered it 2" front and back as it was very spongy from factory at least to my liking, took rpm speedo out, installed dragbar with internal electrics, side rear number plate, also had a daymaker installed (the upgrade is amazing)

I want to clean the frame get the rid off factory air box and side trim, lower my petrol tank on the frame like 2" as it sit very high somehow I had an estimate of £500 just to do the tank lol so I ll keep looking unless someone know someone thank you again for advices i 'll let you know how it goes

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:04 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the congregation please stand as we salute yet another bike, killed in its prime by another miss guided fool.

It always amazes me the number of people who think they can simply strip bits off and then get it working as well as the manufacturers who spent millions developing them...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm... very sad. I admit I replaced the rear light on mine as all the plastic where the indicator arms go in were smashed to bits and held together with epoxy, duct tape and hope. I also fitted a daymaker which certainly is awesome... new mirrors, fog lamps, new horn. Nothing too dramatic Wink

But all those changes! Sounds very much like you have the wrong bike to start with Sad

Originally the Venus de Milo had arms did some bright spark think "it'll look more enigmatic with a few mods..."

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:17 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt peil wrote:
lower my petrol tank on the frame like 2" as it sit very high somehow I had an estimate of £500 just to do the tank

Not sure if serious.

Neutral

Kurt peil
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:00 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know that I should be doing this on a bigger bike but money has to be there too

I don't mind spending little on bits and bobs it drives well (until I changed air filter Neutral ) the bike is nothing fast but if you not there to race it's ok
i also took out all the indicator and replaced with for the back led strip that go on rear shocks and front at the end of handle bar

This is all good practice at the end of the day people have made bobbers, choppers, scrambler, customs for ages in fact since they started building bikes it might improve it might impeded you

there s style for everyone not all will like it but there will always be like minded people to help each other

Something I noticed is since I installed dragbar the bike is so much more nimble a real joy to drive

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming dragbar is a style of handlebar, and not a drinking establishment for cross dressers?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:33 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I'm assuming dragbar is a style of handlebar, and not a drinking establishment for cross dressers?

With these hipsters and their prediliction for perverting prefectly servicable bikes, it could be either.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:40 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you’re doing is fucking up a bike that you could have been riding- you know, actual road travel under power.

You’ll never get the fuel mixture right by fucking about with jets; not a fucking hope.

It’ll run badly until it holes a piston, seizes or burns a valve. Then you can lie to your mates about how fast it was after you tuned it.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:43 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt peil wrote:

Something I noticed is since I installed dragbar the bike is so much more nimble a real joy to drive

That is some load of shit!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:48 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
Kurt peil wrote:

That is some load of shit!

I didn't realise you 'installed' handle bars. I thought you fitted them.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's me looking at a whole decent mid-sized motorcycle for £450!

Instagram and modded bike images has a lot to answer for..

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
And here's me looking at a whole decent mid-sized motorcycle for £450!

Instagram and modded bike images has a lot to answer for..

...and that dovetails nicely with Mental Health Week. Instagram has created a whole load of anxieties all of its own!

Be nice to see some photos of this bike. Hey, maybe it looks really good and maybe ppl will start eating their words Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:05 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://kickasstrips.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Grayson-Perry-pink-motorbike-pilgrimage-Small.jpg

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:07 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Be nice to see some photos of this bike. Hey, maybe it looks really good and maybe ppl will start eating their words Wink

https://youtu.be/Z1M3fsE_IMU

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:18 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt peil wrote:
Yes I know that I should be doing this on a bigger bike but money has to be there too

Err, yeah.. lets have a think about this... you dont have the money to get a big bike, let alone get a big-bike and eff-around with that.... even though most 125's command a premium over a lot of big bikes....

Oh-Kay..... lets pause there a moment or five.....

'Big-Bikes' can not only be cheaper to buy; they can be cheaper to insure (If you have a full licence to ride one!).

The road-fund-duty, will be a little higher, B-U-T, often by no more than the insurance is cheaper... eg: I get miserable old git insurance prices on both my Seven-Fifty and my 125.... the Seven-Fifty costs approx £100 a year to insure, and £90 to tax. The 125 costs aprox £150 a year to insure, and only £20 a year to tax... so its swings and round-about's and to within the price of a tank of petrol bugger all difference 'all in'.... ,big difference is that the Seven-Fifty takes £200 a time tyres, the 125, £90 a time, and I have yet to wear a set out... unlike on the Seven-Fifty, which scrubs them out in a few thousand miles... BUT STILL, all up running costs come in pretty much the same... just the tiddler needs little and often, where when the Seven fifty needs anything it can sting a little....

Even on MPG its more swings and round-about; the book says that the 125 'aught' return something like 90mpg, the same book says the Seven-Fifty should guzzle the stuff at a rate of around 50mpg.... absolute borrox, and the editors decission was final.... I actually get 'about' as makes no odds 70mpg from either the Seven-Fifty OR the 125.... If anything I tend to get WORSE gas-miles from the tiddler than I do the big-bike, cos I am rather more inclined to thrash the feck out of the poor little thing, either just for the fun of it, or cos of frustration trying to get anywhere; where I trend to better the book numbers on the Seven-Fi8fty, cos I dont! Its there, I dont feel compelled to give it the beans all that often, so what the heck.... sit back and enjoy the ride and watch the scenary!

And the buy price? If I was lucky, I might get £500 for the Seven-Fifty, if I gave it a wash and enough blarney to any-one that came to look... The 125 would more likely fetch in the order of £750, and be easier to sell, cos no need to take tests before riding it away....

Oh-Kay.... so lets think about this.... lets take a perfectly good motorcycle; and start cutting it up and making it 'different' to what was in the brochure in the shop....

Right there, if you cant afford, you CERTAINLY cant afford to start chucking money away modifying bikes!

Cos standard bikes sell for closer to the price the seller paid for them, and sell easier, and they haven't chucked any money at them in the mean-time making them 'different', and likely questionably so....

EVERY PENNY you chuck at modifying an old bike, is dead money, you are NOT going to get back on resale, and will like as not actually take value OFF the resale, not add it.... so every penny spent on LED tail-lamps and chriome filter pods.... is a penny you have spent, and a penny off what you'll get back...

Great bit of financial acumen that.... cant afford a big-bike, lets chuck money away modding a more expensive little one!!!!

No.

JUST who exactly do you think you are kidding here?

I'm not fooled. Pretty sure most of the responders on this thread aren't taken in. The only person likely folled by this blarney, is likely yourself....

We call that being 'Delusional'... and taken not a lot further, you dont need help with pod filters or jet sizes, you need a psychiatrist... seriously!!!

SOMEWHERE in the murky depths of what you aren't telling us, is probably some more, like you are on L-Plates and aren't allowed a big-bike... and or, you are too young to get a proper licence for a big-bike...

A-N-D there's probably a whole host more random, more delusion, and a shed load of mis-information, upholding your... yeah, call'em what they are... 'Fantasies'.....

The tests for a motorbike licence, in the UK are all in, under £150.
That's the Theory/Hazard, the Mod 1 technical manoeuvres test, and the Part 2, on the road test.

And they are EXACTLY the same tests; whether you test for an AM moped licence, an A1 125-onlty licence, an A2 45bhp restricted licence or a full fat Ride-What-You-Like 'A' catagory licence.... the only thing that changes is the size of hole in the engine of the test bike where fire happens... and even then! Difference between A2 and RWYL'A' test bikes might not even be that, but a black-box on the ignition to retard the timing and limit power to the A2 limits just for the test......

Sorry, were you just stammering "Yes, but DAS!!!"

Yeah... that is not a test, nor a licence that's a COURSE. (at least for all practical purposes)

You can take DAS and get your licence in a oner if over 25, and thats how most folk do do it, these days. Rules allow them to take test on an A class bike, and to train on that bike IF they are under radio supervission of a card-carrying DSA approved instructor.... and paying a school an all in price to Doooo DAaaaS, tends to be a pretty ecconomical, if expensive 'one stop shop' to get the training and road time on a big bike before tests and get the big bike to do tests on.... B-U-T...

Absolutely nothing says you HAVE to 'doooo DaaaAaaa S' let alone do a DAS course even if you do... but it does tend to be the more expedient way to a big-bike licence..... just not the ONLY way.

If 17-19, and limited to a 125 by age... does seem a bit daft that taking tests doesn't let you do much more than ditch the L-Plates, carry-pillions and ride abroad.... you dont get allowed more biuke for the effort... oh dear boo-sob... thats the regs sorry you dont get the sweetie you hoped for, but... there are good reasons to do A1 tests... and fact that you can turn up for tests on a 125 you might, thanks to retension of the CBT and unsupervised 125 L-Plate rules, ride every day on L's is one of them. As said, the tests is exactly the same, and the test cost less than £150.... get them done, you get a FULL motorcycle licence for the effort, can carry pillions, use motorways, ride over-sees and chuck away the looser plate.. also means them L-Plates cant get cracked or broke or go missing, and plod have one less reason for a tugg.... you get the satisfaction of having passed tests to boot, A-N-D the clock starts counting down on your two-year 'New-Driver-Act' probation, where you can get sent back to the start for 6 points, rather than 12... Ie being tugged just a couple of times for cracked or missing looser plates.... and rather than watch the months s;lip away until you have to repeat CBT to carry on pretending to be a learner... you are counting down, likely less months until 19th birthday, and you can rock up to take the A2 tests, which you know you can do and pass having donme them on a 125 once over, on something not very much bigger or heavier.... and again... two years after that... by 'accelerated access' you are counting down the months to being eligible to test for that RWYL big bike 'A' at 21 years old, THREE YEARS, ahgead of sitting it out waiting intil you are old enough do 'dooo DaaAaS' off the stops when you are 24......

So, rhetorical question time, you do not have to answer them, but PLEASE think about them.....

1/ who do you think are you kidding here?
2/ How much have you spent, so far chucking away bits of an unsuspecting standard bike, to MAKE these problems you'd like us to help you sort?
3/ How much have those ill-advised mods subtracted from the bikes resale?
4/ Are all these mods fully MOT tested and endorsed? And are they properly declared to your insurance company? If so how much have they hiled the premium by for the privilidge?
5/ ALL this money you have chucked at the plot so far... plus the bits you probably haven't budgeted, like lost resale, or are taking a chance on, like the nowlikely fraudulent insurance they can whedle out of paying out on if bike nicked or crashed... and come chase you through courts for consequential losses, BTW....

.....ALL this money spent, lost or risked to NOT do much but make the bike LESS valuable, less saleable and Less usable....

Is that MORE of less than the £130 worth of test fees for a propper licence?

And have you really got 'best value' from your spend.... bearing in mind you are babblinng about not being able to afford.....

OH! You have already got a full-fat ride-wot-choo-like 'A'' catogary licence.... all I have said then is pretty redundant..... So what the chuck you faffing about with a second rate, budget 125, trying to make it something its not, and never will be?

See sig-line... I have a RWYL 'A' licence obtained pretty much before even CBT was invented.... I still pigg about with 125's both with the spanners and on the road....

I DO NOT kidd myself that this is in any-way 'sensible' or a useful way to spend my disposable income... I could waste as much money and not have as much fun dangling a bit of string in the cut trying to out-wit a fish, or chasing a plastic ball around a field, ruining a good walk in the country....

And when the disposeable is limited? It is NOT something I do, pissin what little I have up the wall, to make a bike less valuable, and less useable, A-N-D give myself headaches along the way over possible carburettor jet-sizes!!!!!

It makes no sense, from the start, and if you dont have the money to do different, then you dont have the monet to do THIS....

So, lets back up, and think about the matter.....

The 'Sensible' answer is save yourself the heartache, put it back to standard, and STOP trying to do something 'different' for the sake of not being able to do anything moe exiting and kidding yourself and trying to kid every-one else that its some-how a great idea... it just isn't!

IF, absolutely determiner to persue this particular perversion..... well we are all entitled to our fantasies... personally I preffer to keep mine in my head; a lot of them feature rather idealised and censurable images of under-age girls I knew a long long time ago... but still... your time, your money, your perversion... wreak as you will.. BUT dont try to kiddany-one else that there is ANY sensible to the sceme, and that its anyting but a waste of time and money 'indulgence' and pass time... like fishing, or golf! And least of all, dont try kidd yourself... or just go book the shrinks couch here and now... maybe you could ask them about underage teenage girl fantasies whilst you are there... but...

Back to you.... its your bike, ergo your problem.....

Pays your money and takes your chances, but please STOP trying to kid anyone, least of all yourself that there is ANY even remotely sensible reason to do this, ESPECIALLY of you haven't got a fill licence yet, even an A1 125 only one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:

https://youtu.be/Z1M3fsE_IMU

eeeeeee!!!!! gouge out my eyes!!!!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good Teffing and no mistake. TBH I was thinking of buying a nicer helmet but one Teffing later and I booked my theory test Thumbs Up

Kurt peil
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:23 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I m sorry if I have hurt your feelings, indeed I do have full licence

I m no mechanical expert, brilliant or even that knowledgeable but I have been working in body shop for like 20years I can do mechanic just not the engine part that much that's why I was asking to you guy as you have more knowledge and on here to share and advise.

even though I already knew that I d need to up my main jet if needed to compensate for my larger air filter but i wanted to ask somebody more clued up than myself

but I m trying and love doing it, bikes have been in my life forever my dad is also a biker he doesn't ride anymore due to health problem we have been in countless harley Davidson meeting all over Belgium (where I m from)France, holland, Italy, we went to sturgis 50th week anniversary I was 17 long time ago he was customizing harley he gave me the bug no doubt, i asked him he told me the same so as i wanted a more accurate answer I asked

i since have moved from my parent place in 2002 to live in London make my own life I wish I have pass my licence long ago but all in good time it's happening, I had to make a living and take care of my daughter that is now 21

For sure I m spending money that I probably will never see again when I m done with this bike I will pass it on to my girlfriend she loves bike also it grew into her as I shared my love and headaches even though I m not mechanically brilliant with bike engine and somehow unconventional taste but in the bigger bike world modifying bike is just like second nature for lot of people so i dont get why not on smaller bike?

although i have taken on board all your comments the nice one specially Thumbs Up sometimes you don't have to be in to make money but d rather to make yourself happy with your creation i m not trying to fool no one this is me with all my flaw i had prior to my keeway a scooter, you must have seen it in the comment there s a YouTube link it's a 3 part video if you want to check it out leave a comment say hi

I ride everyday of the year sun, rain, snow , i eventually decided to pass my licence as I wanted something little bit bigger ...and different, that's why I m spending some money on what I love doing and will keep this bike for a while until i find what i want I said money was indeed an issue never said i was deprived to the point I have no spare it's getting easier slowly slowly i have saved money to buy bigger bike but want to wait maybe until next year so I can adjust at my own pace also I m busy doing this bike

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! Keep doing what you love, can't knock that Thumbs Up

I recommend reading up a bit on how carburettors work and some 4-stroke engine theory. Single cylinder motorbike engines are probably the "purest" example so there's a head-start already Smile

Don't mind some of the <cough> older forum members... they moan all the time about the forum dying and then savage everyone new to make sure they're up to standard Wink

I have a few more bits to do to my Superlight before sticking something in the "Show & Tell" section and I hope you do the same when you're happy with your creation!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1