Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DK Motorcycles

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: DK Motorcycles Reply with quote

Back in the mists of time they were regularly getting slated on BCF for malpractices.

Does anyone know if they are still the same shithouse company as they have an RE5 on auction on ebay and I am so tempted if it doesn't go for silly money.

Obviously I buy with my eyes open, I know what I am doing but it's nice to be certain what level of skunk you are dealing with.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

An RE5 that doesn't go for silly money? Good luck with that one Laughing
Although why anyone would want to pay silly money for one is beyond me.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:11 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought some 2nd hand parts from them and they were much better than expected. Why not have someone drop in and have a look for you Im sure theres a few on here close by.

How much time would that realistically spend on the road? *cough* garage queen Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
An RE5 that doesn't go for silly money? Good luck with that one Laughing
Although why anyone would want to pay silly money for one is beyond me.

I fancy one for a Sunday pose down the local bike caff.

TBH anything unusual would do and that is more unusual than most but you are probably right. Someone will pay silly money for it.

There's a Z650B1 there as well...... Whistle

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-Kawasaki-KZ650B1-Unregistered-US-Import-Barn-Find-Classic-Restoration-Proj/312609240270?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D513507c4f5184be587a9eb771cd9136c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D12%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D323804996589%26itm%3D312609240270&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
Bought some 2nd hand parts from them and they were much better than expected. Why not have someone drop in and have a look for you Im sure theres a few on here close by.

How much time would that realistically spend on the road? *cough* garage queen Laughing

A few hours a month, no more. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Now you're talking! But I'd draw a line even at what I'd be prepared to pay for one of those. 'Classics tax' should only be allowed to go so far. And I'm guessing that Z will also go beyond that level from what I've seen of nice examples in recent years.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

What kind of barn was that found in???

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

A climate-controlled one? Laughing
It never ceases to amaze me that such nice examples still continue to surface in the US, but the seller has a point when he says the climate over there seems to be kinder to motorcycles...?

I had 3 US imports (from DK's funnily enough), and there wasn't a hint of corrosion on any of them at about 20 years old. All came from different states too.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:47 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"credit card payments attract a 2 surcharge"

Such practises were only banned in January last year. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:58 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to the bike in question: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1975-Suzuki-RE5-Rotary-Unregistered-US-Import-Barn-Find-Classic-Restoration-Proj/352666630295

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they find something in a barn, and it's called a barn find, what is it called if somewhere you find an actual barn? Thinking

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Call me cynical but that clock looks like it's been wound back.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Ste wrote:

Call me cynical but that clock looks like it's been wound back.

LMAO... ya think?!

That isn't just a poser's bike, that's a poseur's bike Smile Fecking rotary? Get in Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:23 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is it called if somewhere you find an actual barn?

A farm?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Re: DK Motorcycles Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Back in the mists of time they were regularly getting slated on BCF for malpractices.

Does anyone know if they are still the same shithouse company as they have an RE5 on auction on ebay and I am so tempted if it doesn't go for silly money.

Obviously I buy with my eyes open, I know what I am doing but it's nice to be certain what level of skunk you are dealing with.

Don't do it mate, regardless of who's selling it.

That's the revised 'A' version, with the conventional clocks, which will never be the one to have, if there ever is an RE5 considered to be the one to have.

Beyond that, it's an interesting bike to ride, if you have the chance, but it's not really a very good thing to own - not fast, not great handling, difficult to maintain.

A kettle will rip it to shreds, which was the problem when it was new; if you really want a usable rotary, find a decent Norton.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Re: DK Motorcycles Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
if you really want a usable rotary, find a decent Norton.

Protip - Don't forget to pull your balaclava down before you enter the bank to withdraw the amount needed to pay for it...

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d buy it. Other than the rotary bit most stuff is common to the 750 kettle so spares availablity is good.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Re: DK Motorcycles Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Shaft wrote:
if you really want a usable rotary, find a decent Norton.

Protip - Don't forget to pull your balaclava down before you enter the bank to withdraw the amount needed to pay for it...

There was a really tidy Interpol on the bay not so long ago, fully documented history and recent engine refresh, all for 3 grand, which I thought was pretty good.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they find something in a barn, and it's called a barn find, what is it called if somewhere you find an actual barn? Thinking

"Development opportunity/ character conversion offering a balance of rustic style with modern convenience and comfort."

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Re: DK Motorcycles Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Don't do it mate, regardless of who's selling it.

That's the revised 'A' version, with the conventional clocks, which will never be the one to have, if there ever is an RE5 considered to be the one to have.

Beyond that, it's an interesting bike to ride, if you have the chance, but it's not really a very good thing to own - not fast, not great handling, difficult to maintain.

A kettle will rip it to shreds, which was the problem when it was new; if you really want a usable rotary, find a decent Norton.

Good point. It's not got the toilet roll on the handlebars. I'm out then. No toilet roll is a game changer. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have one with the toilet roll that's at £3600 now and reserve still not met.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1975-Suzuki-RE5-Rotary-Wankel-Official-UK-Bike-Nice-Classic-Restoration-Project/333198628582?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Dbb8891b2d03d4c9ea89588a6ba5be3ea%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D9%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D352666630295%26itm%3D333198628582&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

They can take a flying f........ Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll bite... what the f*ck is that "thing" on the headlamp?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Okay, I'll bite... what the f*ck is that "thing" on the headlamp?

https://www.prismnet.com/~jrf/RE5/re534.jpg

https://www.classicsportbikesforsale.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1975-Suzuki-Re5-Dash-Front-250x186.jpg

Best bit of the bike!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

If they can take the proverbial at that price, I don't much fancy your chances of finding anything unusual at a price you'd be happy with. But I'm sure it'll go considerably higher than that anyway. 'Why' is another matter...

Why not just see if you can find a set of the clocks and mount them on a cheaper bike? Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
what is it called if somewhere you find an actual barn?

A farm?

You don't sound sure Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2