Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike wont start

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

General 93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:56 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Bike wont start Reply with quote

I have a Honda cbf 125 2010, recently by ignition switch doesn't start the bike, I put the key in like normal and press but all I get is a click from my starter relay, first thought was its the relay so I've replaced but no changes occurred, battery is only 4 months old I don't know what to do next, any help is very appreciated, I have had none stop problems with the bike since owning it and alot of parts have been replaced. Many thanks, Chris

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it start by pushing it?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you a volt / multi meter to check where the fault is ?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing would be ascertain the battery condition, see if it starts with jump leads, if that works find out if it's charging.

A bike not charging with headlights on will rapidly run the battery down, but might get you home then seem dead next time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

General 93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:13 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can turn the key and I have all my normal light start up ( engine light, gear light) I can also here my starter motor (I think). I have been push starting it for about a week now, but I would just like my button start back. Any further ideas.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check you battery's got some power in it and charge it to prevent it becoming scrap which it very quickly will if flat.

Test you've got headlamps working too, tiny instrument bulbs are not any significant load.

If the starter motor rotates but the engine does not turn then that gives a big clue.

General 93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:00 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the starter motor when turning the key but when I press ignition I only get a click from the relay which is brand new, I can't hear the starter motor turning, it seems like power is going to the motor but the communication isn't, if that makes sense

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like press button > power to relay > relay goes "click" > power still not applied to starter motor.

In a lot of bikes the starter motor is 1) earthed to either the frame or directly to the battery 2) powered from the starter relay.

The relay in turn has two wires going off to the switch (to power the magnetic coil side) and two really hefty wires: one directly to the battery and the other to the starter...

It's about the simplest circuit in the bike!

After you've checked out all those things I'd see if there were any safety features in between the starter switch and relay. Looking at the circuit diagram there is a kill switch, starter switch, clutch switch, neutral and side stand switch. All of which look to stop the starter relay.

<edit> interesting... it looks like the safety features lock out the starter activation so yes, you would get a click like the relay was activating but the "switch" wouldn't get thrown to power the starter motor.

General 93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:52 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have identified the fault to be a dead starter motor as it did not turn when plugged directly to the battery, new one has Been ordered and will be fitted soon, thank you to everyone who has comment and helped me get to this conclusion

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:15 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

General 93 wrote:
I believe I have identified the fault to be a dead starter motor as it did not turn when plugged directly to the battery, new one has Been ordered and will be fitted soon, thank you to everyone who has comment and helped me get to this conclusion

Did you actually check the state of your charging system and battery or did you just buy a starter on a whim?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to always have to take the starter out. Depending on the relay you can just slip the rubber boots off and jam a screwdriver across the terminals... also a good way to check for petrol leaks Twisted Evil

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:56 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had worn out starter motor brushes on one of these owned by a family member. They cost about a tenner on ebay.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1