Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Google ‘blocks Huawei from using apps on phones’

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Google ‘blocks Huawei from using apps on phones’ Reply with quote

It seems Google have blocked Huawei's licence for Android.

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/google-blocks-huawei-from-using-apps-on-phones-11364363218820

I wouldn't have thought this would be anything but a disaster for the Chinese firm as there really is only Android and Apple operating systems now.

Oh silly me, I forgot they will just copy it anyway. Doh!

When has china China ever worried about a little thing called copyright.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, the use of Android by non-US firms is a two-edged sword. Google are reacting to the US government's adding of Huawei to a list of companies that American firms cannot trade with unless they have a licence. Whether Google will apply for and gain a licence is anyone's guess. It's a bit too early to know what the upshot of all this will be. One thing is that Whoarewe have been working on their own O/S for a while now; there are further implications there.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the end of the shitstorm, though. Intel and Qualcomm say they will no longer supply chips for Huawei.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:57 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurred to me that this is probably just google demonstrating to Trump the inintended consequences of his actions.

Maybe I'm overthinking it?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
It's Trump standing up to China China China in a trade war.

Does the Orange man understand the tariffs, yet?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next step is microsoft for the Laptops.

Wonder how long before someone sues Google then if their phone gets hacked due to the delayed security update.....

The most scary thing is US companies have more back doors that any other country when it comes to IT. Yet no one complains about them and their monitoring of what we are doing.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It seems Google have blocked Huawei's licence for Android.

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/google-blocks-huawei-from-using-apps-on-phones-11364363218820

I wouldn't have thought this would be anything but a disaster for the Chinese firm as there really is only Android and Apple operating systems now.

Oh silly me, I forgot they will just copy it anyway. Doh!

When has china China ever worried about a little thing called copyright.

Android is open source, there is no copyright to violate. Most apps require Google app store, Play Services etc and this is what Huawei is locked out of. I suspect this will just make the Chinese push their domestic version of the app store outside China. Short term though it effectively kills their sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you already had a wahwee would your google play cease to function?
Play store seems to know which devices you have and are suitable for whatever app.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have again always been of the oppinion that if you build a backdoor into a piece of tech, it's very nearly impossible to completely hide it. I presume the boffins at GCHQ realised long ago that doors work both ways and as such, pretend they haven't noticed.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Play store seems to know which devices you have and are suitable for whatever app.

It seems to work on mine fine, fuck i've only had the thing a few months, better not be stuck with a duff phone for the best part of 2 years

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:57 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Isn’t it Google following Trumps instruction? I thought he’d passed legislation that US firms need licensing to deal with Chinese companies?

Yes. And I bet he didn't realise that it would have a major impact on the sales and use of mobile phones. It'll piss people off. You try getting a millenial to turn off their mobile phone.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
doggone wrote:

It seems to work on mine fine, fuck i've only had the thing a few months, better not be stuck with a duff phone for the best part of 2 years

This was what was at the back of my mind when i had a last minute swing towards the S10+. Before this came to light i might add but i knew something was brewing and nothing hits market value like a scandal.

It might be yesterdays news in a week, equally it might hang around and fester a while longer.

I don't think Chump has thought through the bigger picture for just what else / who else has parts inside Huawei kit but hey ho, what's done is done.

On the flip side, might be some cheap Mate 30 Pro around a few months time.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

Isn’t it Google following Trumps instruction? I thought he’d passed legislation that US firms need licensing to deal with Chinese companies?

Yes. And I bet he didn't realise that it would have a major impact on the sales and use of mobile phones. It'll piss people off. You try getting a millenial to turn off their mobile phone.

He's probably had a backhander bung from everyone else.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Android is open source, there is no copyright to violate. Most apps require Google app store, Play Services etc and this is what Huawei is locked out of. I suspect this will just make the Chinese push their domestic version of the app store outside China. Short term though it effectively kills their sales.

While Andriod is open source. It is google that release security updates and the various versions/upgrades.
As such Huawei will be a long way down the list when it comes to getting these.

Good job they have their own version of Andriod and their own app store. Even us in the UK with Huawei phones can access that.

doggone
Quote:

Quote:
For users of our services, Google Play and the security protections from Google Play Protect will continue to function on existing Huawei devices

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1