Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is it the market, or me?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Is it the market, or me? Reply with quote

Currently selling a 50cc moped, bought it before xmas as a project but it isn't needed anymore.

It's an 02 Peugeot with full fresh MOT 2 months ago, good reliable brand for spares?
It isn't perfect but its niggles are just niggles.
I listed it at 395, expecting to be haggled down by about £100 but no, 6 offers in 24hours offering £100-200. That's it, so is a fully road ready used moped only worth £200 today?
I bought a 125 as a box of bits only 9months ago and sold it with a £50 loss at around 300 iirc?

I'm confused Laughing it's coming summer even Thinking

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who can afford to have a new one on finance, probably will. Those who have no savings or no bank of mum and dad, will throw low offers around
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

Chinese ones are so cheap now, why pay for a used and abused when you can have brand new for a few quid more.

While I personally still wouldn't have a Chinese bike I would quite happily have a Chines moped working on the principle it was a disposable iem like white goods.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:28 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the stupid offers and be patient.

I was selling my 17 plate CB125F for £1750 and within 24hrs I got an offer for £1k and £1.2k, plus an equity from super bike factory. I am certain all of them were garages trying to make easy cash as none of them even wanted to see it. The only message I got from the first one was £1000. Not even a hi or anything.

Eventually I sold it for £1650 to someone who truly wanted it and was excited when I delivered it to him.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 125 is a lot more desirable than a moped though.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inclined to agree with Polarbear, 125's are a preferred market I just expected better.

Thing is I have seen something more fitting my needs, viewing tomorrow which i also don't expect to wait around for more than a couple of weeks, I can sell the moped today for 200 or wait 2-3 weeks for a hopefully more justified offer and lose out or sell it cheap and make the difference up which I don't feel I should need to, it should sell well as it is. Confused

Decisions.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Is it the market, or me? Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
Currently selling a 50cc moped, bought it before xmas as a project but it isn't needed anymore.

It's an 02 Peugeot with full fresh MOT 2 months ago, good reliable brand for spares?
I listed it at 395, expecting to be haggled down by about £100 but no, 6 offers in 24hours offering £100-200. That's it, so is a fully road ready used moped only worth £200 today?
I bought a 125 as a box of bits only 9months ago and sold it with a £50 loss at around 300 iirc?

You can get one free if you have a hammer and a mate.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
Inclined to agree with Polarbear, 125's are a preferred market

Not for 16-year-olds.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
st3v3 wrote:
Inclined to agree with Polarbear, 125's are a preferred market

Not for 16-year-olds.
True enough but it's a too smaller thing to bank on, as well as a 16year old having £300+ ready these days to spend. I paid £350 for my first scooter at 16 but I'd worked and saved hard for about 6months because insurance etc.

I guess i'm going to have to take a small loss, it's better than it sitting in the shed doing nothing.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:01 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Is it the market, or me? Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
I listed it at 395

Link to the ad?

You will get people making silly offers that are a quarter or half of the asking price and as you've had six of them in the first 24 hours, I'd be waiting for closer to the asking price.

"bought it ... as a project ... it isn't needed anymore. good reliable brand for spares? it isn't perfect but its niggles are just niggles"

Sounds like something that BCF would advise 16yr olds not to buy. Laughing

"Thing is I have seen something more fitting my needs"

There'll be others.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, unless I've seen the bike close up, I wouldn't trust buying a 2nd hand 50 or 125, I've seen what my nephew did to his 50 over 2 years. Granted, my daughter is doing better with her Mash 50, she's already keeping it clean, checking it over and adjusting the chain herself, next up will be an oil change. However, her Mash 50 was £1695 new

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Is it the market, or me? Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:

want to sell it kwik Wink just put derestricted in the ad .. lol
not your problem once it's gone

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Personally, unless I've seen the bike close up, I wouldn't trust buying a 2nd hand 50 or 125, I've seen what my nephew did to his 50 over 2 years. Granted, my daughter is doing better with her Mash 50, she's already keeping it clean, checking it over and adjusting the chain herself, next up will be an oil change. However, her Mash 50 was £1695 new

New 50's are still available for under a grand and 125's from just over a grand.

If I was a parent with my kid wanting a scoot at 16 and I new next to jack about bikes, I'd spend that on a new one rather than take a risk with second hand.

Now while a person who's into bikes will quite happily go the second hand route, there's not many women who would be happy doing that and women have a big say on what their kids get. I know this Laughing

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

New 50's are still available for under a grand and 125's from just over a grand.

Indeed there are, however, having sat on and test ridden the Mash, also, knowing the dealer is good, based on previous experience, I was more than happy to pay the £1695. It is a lovely little bike, easy to maintain and look after, with proper gears as well, she didn't want to look a chav on a scooter !

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:26 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Is it the market, or me? Reply with quote

Where did you list?

The people that know to get offers in quickly are those trying to make a profit. So an offer of half the asking price in 24 hours isn't too bad when you factor in the profit they're planning to make when they sell it whatever price they think it'll sell for.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, bear in mind, the electric motorcycle, and electric bicycle market, is really beginning to affect the 50cc market

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 05:48 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Also, bear in mind, the electric motorcycle, and electric bicycle market, is really beginning to affect the 50cc market

This. I was thinking about getting a little 50 again - peanuts insurance and tax, Glasgow and back on a full tank, etc but e-bikes are getting so much better and are probably just as suitable for my 4 mile commute. really the only thing that puts me off is that they're upwards of 1k for a really decent one.

50's aren't really worth all that much these days though. I bought one that was less than two years old with 70 miles on it, ran it for 3 years, changing the oil a couple of times and 2 MOT passes, sold it for more than I paid for it. People bargain hunt, and literally search under £200 price point, run it till the MOT and fuck it off. Its cheaper than bus fare. I was running mine for about 3 quid a week, fully legal.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:24 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking: Would it not make more money if you part exchanged it for something else? Another project perhaps and build money that way?

I need a laugh today. Have you tried one of those 'We buy any bike' places for a valuation price?

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

(link removed) reduced it aswell.

I've just been honest, no point people coming to view it and finding something different.

Sold it for a tiny profit, enough to buy what I wanted. Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1