Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My daughter's a maniac!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: My daughter's a maniac! Reply with quote

Looking for some differing view points, if you would be so kind...

Currently my eldest gets about the town on an ebike I built her. It's only 250W and the thing is now battered to fuck.

It has been pointed out to me by friends and relatives that she gets some decent speed out of it (>20 mph when pedalling) and that she has zero road sense Sad So that's obviously me fucking up again!

I was planning to give her the "turd" scooter I've been working on: my thought is that to ride it she'd have to do a CBT and wear a helmet. The downside is it'd probably be me paying the tax and insurance and definitely me doing the maintenance.

So it's either that or rebuild the ebike to be more durable. I suppose I could try and get her to do a cycling proficiency course...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:23 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has she been riding the ebike for?

Quote:
she'd have to do a CBT and wear a helmet

She's wearing a helmet when cycling?

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:30 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like she's having plenty of fun without all the legal bullshit, leave it Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep rebuilding it as a rat e-bike.

She's probably basking in some street cred adoration with it. Laughing Thumbs Up

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of daughter's tits and/or garry.

Itz the BCF way I'm afraid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some road sense drilled into her?
The National Cycling Proficiency Scheme ended long ago (I think) and sometimes local police forces travel around offering to train folk up on their bicycles. It tends to be at schools and done by a traffic officer or the likes. Ask your local police headquarters if they're running a scheme.

To be fair the ebike is obviously fun for her and allows far more freedom too.
Get it fettled for her - cheaper than a ped on the roads.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:22 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go out cycling with her so you can see for yourself how much road sense she's got.

Go with her on all different types of roads so that's around town where 20mph is about what the rest of the traffic is doing, country lanes, single carriageway main roads, big dual carriageways, find a big roundabout controlled by traffic lights where she'll need to be in the correct lane and she'll need to change lanes as going round the roundabout, etc etc etc.

The Cycling Proficiency Scheme has been replaced with this https://bikeability.org.uk/

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Pics of daughter's tits and/or garry.

Itz the BCF way I'm afraid.

She'd hunt you down and bitch-slap you... then probably ask for your number Wink

Hmmm... ongoing cost of the ebike is low but even though no one said it the scooter does have a likely extra cost: when she crashes into someone and the insurance premium skyrockets Sad No liability on an ebike!

She doesn't wear a cycling helmet: girls sometimes get funny about such things messing up their hair (little bit of sexism there for you, ladies and gents!) But I might be able to get away with "I'll rebuild your bike if you promise to wear a helmet"

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:32 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
No liability on an ebike!

Errrr, yes there is.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're her dad and will thus fix it for her at your own cost without so much as her asking nicely.

Take it you got away lightly that she's not angling for a car all expenses paid like most do. Would be good if she'd wear a helmet for cycling on the road though, as I wouldn't go out on busy roads without one.

Offer her the scooter when fixed, but I bet you'll get knocked back as it's more like responsibility and who the fuck wants that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wearing a helmet whilst cycling is stupid. Mi e has literally saved my life at least twice (once off road and once on road where a car took me out on a roundabout). The helmet cracked all the way through on both occasions so I can only imagine what my skull would have ended up like.

Also I had third party insurance when cycle commuting. It's cheap and deals with the liability of you happen to spaz a pedestrian or damage a vehicle. You have the same level of liability as a car driver, it's just that insurance isn't mandatory.

Ask her what bike she would prefer and get her to do a CBT anyway, a bit of training is always helpful.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:45 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most home insurance policies include cover for third party public liability.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:54 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What age? if 17 or over buy a cheap 125 and get the CBT done, will learn a bit during that but the real learning is done on the road with a MOTORbike.

Also don't buy a keeway for the love of god

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Most home insurance policies include cover for third party public liability.

Hmm thought that was just within the confines of the property and boundaries?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:53 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of policies refer to the third party public liability bit as "personal liability" or "owners liability" and that's the bit which covers you (and other residents at the address) for crashing into a car / dog / little old lady / etc etc when you're cycling / walking / etc etc.

You'd need to have a look at your policy documents. If OP has it in their policy then that's cool and if they don't then it wouldn't be worthwhile for the third party to try and get the 16 or 17 year old kid to pay up.

https://www.morethan.com/customer-help/home-insurance/policies-cover/whats-included-my-home-insurance-policy/

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
...it's just that insurance isn't mandatory.

Yes, I mispoke... thanks kgm Thumbs Up

My wife suggested I show her some rough costs for running the scooter and she do what she likes. My youngest pays for her own car tax & insurance so I don't have to pay for everything like a chump Smile

She's 29 BTW. The scooter is to slow her down and CBT training is mandatory!

One thing though: she lives on the shadier side of town so she'd need a ton more security than my faux-cruiser. As Polarbear stated: these scooters are practically disposable white goods (evident in the fact I got it for free) and the chavs love the brainless twist-n-go for their bag snatching habit Sad

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:32 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geese ans Goslings, spring to mind here....

Oh-Kay so you... eventually... did a CBT to sort of notionally ride a 125 sort of legally...

B-U-T... were quite content, and apparently still so, ridng around on something that to all practical purposes is a 'motorbike', and subject to the same licence & C&U regs, begging things like.. oooh, you know, tax, insurance, actual visible tread o the tyres... that sort of thing, thinking it a great laugh to dodge all these little inconveniences, cos it was propelled by a washing machine motor!!!

Who's the 'Maniac'?

Ignorance is no defence, but at least 15/16 year old girl has naivety on her side, where there's no fool like an old-fool, is there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:06 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? I only finished my insane ebike after I did the CBT and finished the 125. Where do you get this stuff from, Tef? Smile

I don't even know what you're saying here:

Quote:
Oh-Kay so you... eventually... did a CBT to sort of notionally ride a 125 sort of legally...

Are you getting all snooty because I didn't start riding motobikes at the age of 5? And a CBT doesn't really legally let you ride a 125?!

Just as an aside the tyres (MSVA valid E-marked and speed rated) and brakes (fully hydraulic) on my ebike are probably better than a fair amount of the legal, MoT'd motorbikes on the road today. It's a good way to the point where I can get it through the MSVA - just working on the indicators and brake light wiring at the moment...

My daughter on the other hand rides a perfectly legal 250W ebike. The contemplation is the pro's and cons of either rebuilding that to be more robust or get her onto dinosaur burners...

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, thread title is misleading, maniac applies to girls who have their boyfriend's turn up on your property with loaded gun threatening to shoot himself or you find out that another junkie ex helped his uncle dismember a body ( that uncle had killed).

Secondly, you say she is 29, why the fuck would it be you paying her insurance etc on a scooter? If she's that bad a driver she'll get mashed at some stage regardless of what vehicle she 'controls', so it doesn't really matter which route you decide. Sorry.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Secondly, you say she is 29, why the fuck would it be you paying her insurance etc on a scooter?

A very good point.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Firstly, thread title is misleading, maniac applies to girls who have their boyfriend's turn up on your property with loaded gun threatening to shoot himself or you find out that another junkie ex helped his uncle dismember a body ( that uncle had killed).

Secondly, you say she is 29, why the fuck would it be you paying her insurance etc on a scooter? If she's that bad a driver she'll get mashed at some stage regardless of what vehicle she 'controls', so it doesn't really matter which route you decide. Sorry.

Why? 'Cos you're pretty much on the money with the first part Sad But yes, I admit the title is a bit click-baity, soz.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
I admit the title is a bit click-baity, soz.

It could have been worse - you could have added the word sex before maniac..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Why? 'Cos you're pretty much on the money with the first part Sad But yes, I admit the title is a bit click-baity, soz.

Why? Perhaps because she has been legally considered an adult for the past eleven years, although she thinks she's been one for at least fourteen! As a parent I know there is a tendency not to want to let them grow up but if she's just dossing about at home and not earning then why would you feel inclined to provide her with more than bed and board and, if she is earning which is more likely, why would you be happy for her to chuck her money after alcohol, clothes and phones whilst you stump up living expenses?
I know that is a very straight line stereotypical view and many other factors can upset that balance but as we don't have much more to go on and there is no reason to justfiy your living arrangements to us, then we have to assume that one or the other situation is fairly close.

My daughter managed to put her scooter into the back of two cars (on different occasions), more because she's a hooligan rather than unaware, which is concerning from a parents point of view but sometimes it is best just to let them get on with it, it's the only way they'll learn and we have to hope that they don't come away from the experience with anything more than bruises. She was considerably younger than your girl, in a poorly paid job but still managed to tax and insure her machine from her own funds.
Now she gets around on a bicycle because she's learned to live within her means and gets to holiday abroad instead.

Edit: To clarify, my daughter is just a hooligan, the step daughter is the one with the maniac past. Neutral

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can't help loving your kids and you can't help trying to help them out Smile It's a tricky balance!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Well you can't help loving your kids and you can't help trying to help them out Smile It's a tricky balance!

You help them by ensuring they can support themselves when you are gone.

* Advice from someone who is not a parent.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2