Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone else struggle with slow speed?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:41 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Anyone else struggle with slow speed? Reply with quote

https://www.cycleworld.com/g00/do-you-struggle-with-slower-speeds-on-your-motorcycle?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d&i10c.dv=18

seems im not the only one - i really struggled on my mod 1, blitzed the mod 2, and am perfectly happy to smash it round the lanes / tracks at relatively high speed , but when it comes to U-turns i just avoid them or try to do a 3 point turn ha Very Happy

Is it something i should fix? probably, but i cba dropping the bike whilst trying so not gonna bother!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:45 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a bike with bars rather than clip ons...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:01 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might sound sad but a few years ago sometimes on a weekend I would go down a quiet industrial estate and just dick around on a bike, this helped me a lot with slow speed.

Used to practise figures of eights, uturns, wheelies and stoppies.

There's a "sport" called Gymkhana which you may want to look up, that would help you greatly - however it's mainly practised in America and Japan from that I've seen but doesn't stop you having a go yourself in a quiet car park with a couple of cones.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might do a U turn if I think there's plenty of room, but more often I just look for somewhere easier to turn around; a side road, roundabout, lay-by, whatever. Or do a two or three pointer somewhere quiet.

Slow speed control moving forwards is more about a relaxed grip on the bars, gripping the tank with the knees, rear brake for extra control.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said already just go and practice somewhere quiet on a good surface (tarmac/concrete).
It's all about concentration - not furious focused attention and willingness - just relax but stay with what you're doing. That breathing out concentration you do when taking a photo or shooting a rifle.
Obviously slower speeds are too slow for the engine and so you slip the clutch a little but with some practice it's surprising what can be done.

I returned to bikes late last year and although mine's light at less than 130 kilos I never thought I'd be able to do the slow stuff again. It has come back to me now.
Once you get that feel for it it becomes second nature.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:36 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle to go slowly. That's why I'm on 9 points....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:03 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do on my bullet because it has a close ratio gearbox and you have to slip the clutch at anything below 10-15mph.

However, no, slow speed control isn't generally much of an issue. My main problem with tight turns at slow speeds is the handlebars hitting my knees. I have to stick my leg out which upsets things.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily the back of my office is a bit "industrial" lots of teeny weeny roads all jumbled up with everyone double parked... have to get very good at slow manoeuvres every day!

Got it down to tackling right-angles at less than walking speed now Smile

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight turns get a lot easier with practice. Key thing is to look where you want to go, so for the u turn look right over your shoulder.

Keep positive power applied, when the power drops off is when you'll feel the bike start to drop.

Keep the revs up and slip the clutch, use the back brake to slow the bike if you start going too quickly rather than chopping the power.

Push the bike down under you Motocross style for slow tight manoeuvres, makes it much easier, sometimes I can be sitting on the side of the seat.

Like this guy: (kinda like leaning the wrong way)

https://www.advpulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Advanced-Rider-Training-opt.jpg?id=featured

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:47 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started riding school-boy trials on bikes geared to do maybe 40mph flat out in top.... I have to say that after a life-time riding where mountain goats fear to tread, U-Turns, in the street, in the snow, in my chuffing dressing gown! Have been a source of amusement for the neighbours... while 2-up U-Turns on 1 in 3 welsh or derbyshire single track hillside with the daughter bashing on my bone-dome waving a smurph-phone showing google-maps, yelling "LOOK! I got reception!... sorry... I seem to have sent you the wrong way..." almost became 'habbit'....
NOT really something I fret about.....
TRICK, if there is one, is lean and confidence; wide bars help, but, it is the mind-warp of putting a bike over till the pegs scrape, doing it on the throttle, at barely walking pace, that does tend to sort the men from the boys, IME, rather than heading into a wide sweeper at however many ooomphs..... but still.
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and learn to lean the bike to make it steer, and use the throttle to keep it balanced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems riding slow. Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I can ride super slow, can't do a "bike stand" or whatever it's called with motorbikes though, 10 seconds stationary is about the best I managed

I'm not a great rider with other things, IAM road craft blah, but I can do slow , and tight turns etc

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:40 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
"bike stand" or whatever it's called

'Track-Stand'... origins come from velodrome cycle racing, where they started strapping the rider's feet to the pedals, and on the start line, they didn't have a free foot to put down, or would loose time trying to strap in after the start; BUT, the bikes had a singe 'fixed' and usually enormously tall gear, and deft riders exploited the fact they could pedal both backwards and forwards to 'sort' of stay upright without going anywhere on the grid; term was carried over when push-=bike road-racers did it, and advent of the free-wheel meant they could only pedal forwards, so 'had' to do it pretty much on pure balance.

Curiously... chap that ran local push-bike shop, had done motorcycle trials as a yoof, and he'd started having been taken to the NEC bike show and winning a trials bike for being able to track-stand it for the longest!

It was actually a bone of contension in the world of trials in from the 1980's on as 'Observed Section' Trials, or 'pocket-trials' comprised of lots of short technical 'special sections' really predominated, and the old style 'long trial' like the classic Red-Rose or Scottish, on unmade roads, started to fall from favour with the difficulty if finding a course that long, mostly! But... in the Eddie Lejeun era when the Fantics proliferated there was still a LOT of contention over the practice and many advocated the 'non-stop' rules, and insisted that a maximum penalty or 'five' was given to any-one who lost forward momentum, and any-one who track-standed or worse 'shunted' bouncing bike back-and-foirth in a track stand, BMX style, to line it up for an obstacle 'must' have lost forward momentum, so be given a 'five' as iff they had fallen off or paddled through the section feet down.

I don't recall that the matter was ever completely resolved; I think that Arena Trials sort of demanded it, and OST has sort of accommodated it, putting a stop-watch limit on how long any rider 'might' track-stand or shunt without making progress....

B-U-T all rather immaterial... its known as "Track-Standing".....

(And I'm a bit of a bugga for it! Its NOT approved technique on the road apparently! But it does ave putting a foot-down, which begs two changes of state from momentum holding the bike up, to the rider, then back again, and each change is an extra opportunity for eff-upp, to my mind.... but still... its not good form... but I suspect your off-road has probably instilled some of it.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:50 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or you could get a cruiser and then putting your feet down makes no odds to the balance of the bike Razz

Seriously though I sometimes just crawl in traffic like the caged plebs just to practice sub-walking speeds with clutch control and all that.

(Note to self: must try and use back brake more for this.)

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
thx1138 wrote:
"bike stand" or whatever it's called

or worse 'shunted' bouncing bike back-and-foirth in a track stand, BMX style,

yeah, I do that on my Beta sometimes, a little bit, usually if I'm trying to squeeze between a closed gate and a broken fence post or something

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:40 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two things I did which helped my low speed control immensely.

1.) Do some pitbike supermoto

The pitbikes are so small and twitchy that a big bike always feels super stable even at low speeds.

2.) Buy a big lardy bike

My VFR has helped my low speed control immensely because riding it a lot especially through London you get used to just maneuvering it around. Now my other bikes all feel like toys in comparison!!

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:02 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Buy a bike with bars rather than clip ons...

no! Very Happy

interesting replies though, i can go slow in a straight line pretty well right down to super crawly speed but yeh u turns is just a mental block.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Anyone else struggle with slow speed? Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
https://www.cycleworld.com/g00/do-you-struggle-with-slower-speeds-on-your-motorcycle?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d&i10c.dv=18

seems im not the only one - i really struggled on my mod 1, blitzed the mod 2, and am perfectly happy to smash it round the lanes / tracks at relatively high speed , but when it comes to U-turns i just avoid them or try to do a 3 point turn ha Very Happy

Is it something i should fix? probably, but i cba dropping the bike whilst trying so not gonna bother!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might just be that the bike is unsuitable for you. Perhaps a bad suspension setup or just too much ride height. My GT550 does slow speed maneuvres, U-turns, etc. with great ease. It actually encourages lazy/poor riding habits; tipping it in is that effortless. It makes it feel like a drunken monkey could it. If your bike is all setup for high speed cornering, why not just be happy with that. Not sure what's actually wrong with a 3-point turn or paddling around anyway. Gymkhana may improve your skills to a point but they may well be at odds with any correct high speed cornering skills you may have developed. Tipping the bike with a sudden jerk on the bars, pressing on a footpeg and doing an opposite-side lean will chuck you off if you do it at speed. No problem leaving it to Frenchmen and similar posers. I saw a guy drop a Triumph twin in a low speed turn once. Others laughed - I didn't. Shit happens even to French showoffs. All that got hurt was his pride. If he'd fucked up at speed, a lot more would have been hurt. Si what's a U-turn really worth. Safer not to do one anyway, on a 2-lane road

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
It might just be that the bike is unsuitable for you.

Not so much unsuitable for the OP perhaps, just unsuitable for those kind of slow speed manoeuvres. Or less suitable than some other bikes, shall we say.

The gist of this thread is that various bikes are more suited to different things, which we all know really. And since it isn't necessary to be able to do perfect u turns, the OP shouldn't sweat it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real way is to practice. Instead of racing around go for a slow pootle in a carpark or the like. Sports bikes aren't great for low spped but still can be done, I ride a GS Adventure and two up u turns in half width roads is a doddle, but there again I've practiced. When I was a kid at 16yrs on a 50cc I used to challenge mates to see who could take the longest to get from A to B about a 100 yards apart.

As a side note, I find just using the front brake and blip the throttle, many would frown on that and say you must use the bake brake, but what ever works for you until you master slow speed then change your technique later.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
Might sound sad but a few years ago sometimes on a weekend I would go down a quiet industrial estate and just dick around on a bike, this helped me a lot with slow speed.

This. Most riders spend their time trying to go as fast as they can and forget the slow speed handling techniques, the basics. Then they wonder why they can't ride very well.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

U turns - MEH

However, slow speed riding - worth practicing. My CB500 was easier for this than my Z1000 but it's still possible. Just a case of learning how your bike balances at low speeds.

Good brake control. Good clutch control. Good throttle control. Lock to lock turns. All possible with practice.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:54 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
B0ndy wrote:

This. Most riders spend their time trying to go as fast as they can and forget the slow speed handling techniques, the basics. Then they wonder why they can't ride very well.

Other thing forget.. almost as soon as they have learned to turn on the engine... is how to PUSH a bike about.

Its a curiouse phenomina, that rider's will struggle so much with a U-turn.. and make an utter dogs dinner of a 3-point.. trying to shuffle the thing forwards and back wards without lifting their arse from the seat....

A tendency probably re-enforced by modern trainig and testing, that does put so much emphasis on slow speed CBT type exercises, and the U-Turn, to the point of teaching [arghhhhhhhh!!!!!!] Slip and drag... to help them do it in the time available on a DAS course....

BUT, in the real-world, there's very very few situations where you absolutely 'have' to ride slow, certainly not beneath the stall-speed of a big bike begging bludy slip and drag, or even perform a classic, i the road U-turn... and in almost every situation there's a probably 'better' ways about, if you get off and push.... certainly for a 3-point, where with ares out the saddle and feet firm on the floor, you have the leverage and the stability to shove the damn thing exactly where you want, and least chance of dropping the dang thing, and even less of having your leg trapped beneath it if you do.....

Probably even MORE forgotten or practiced than slow-speed manoeuvres is then manual handling.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 02:00 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
BUT, in the real-world, there's very very few situations where you absolutely 'have' to ride slow, certainly not beneath the stall-speed of a big bike begging bludy slip and drag, or even perform a classic, i the road U-turn

You are wrong. In the real world there tends to be a lot of traffic on the roads so slow speed control is essential to making good progress in heavy traffic which is pretty much the whole point of commuting on motorcycles.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2