Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brighter winkers :) (Rieju RS3, Yamaha YZF-R125, etc).

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Brighter winkers :) (Rieju RS3, Yamaha YZF-R125, etc). Reply with quote

Rieju RS3 125 has 10W indicator bulbs. Flasher unit/generator is the same as the Yamaha YZF-R125, which seems to use the same bulbs, and is rated at 2x10W bulbs for indicators or 4x10W bulbs for hazard warning lights. The indicators' performance is somewhat anaemic.

I see that I can get 21W bulbs, but these would overload the flasher unit.

Is replacing the flasher unit/bulbs with higher wattage one/s a reasonable way to improve brightness, or are there likely to be electrical or legal pitfalls?

Are LED bulbs an alternative, or are they (as I suspect) not wonderfully bright either?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:39 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LED lights can be as bright as filament bulbs but for a lot less power consumption. But they could also be brighter for a similar power...

The problem is that the electrical properties of LEDs and bulbs are very different. It doesn't make much odds to head lamp and rears which are just via on/off switches but some older flasher units aren't "expecting" LEDs and so malfunction (speed is out of wack.)

However, LED specific flasher units aren't particularly expensive so if you want to go LED be prepared to swap the flasher too.

<edit> or you can get the resistor packs that make the LEDs more "bulb-like"

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:46 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Brighter winkers :) (Rieju RS3, Yamaha YZF-R125, etc). Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Are LED bulbs an alternative, or are they (as I suspect) not wonderfully bright either?

Yes, the universal ones made by Yamaha are very bright. But not cheap think it cost me 80 quid for the two pairs. I
replaced both sets on my bike although for looks mainly because the units were smaller than huge OEM blinkers. They
come with ballast packs or you can as I did change the relay instead and not use them. I'm not sure how much faith I'd have
in cheap chinese units, I suspect spending £4-10 on a set of four has more to do with them being shite than where they
were made specifically Anyhoo, the Spacker is 100% LED apart from the headlight now.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all about.... powah!
Incandescent blubs give roughly 14 lumens per watt
while LEDS give around 75 Lumens per watt

Roughly, some crude figures here.

Let's say a stock 12V-21W blub gives 294 lumens and uses
1.75 amps each albiet breifly.
You'd need around 4Watts of led powah to get the equivalent
while only using use 0.3 A

A 5W led should be bright enough and a 10W LED really feckin bright while still only using 0.6A

Y'see? just cos it's LED doesn't mean it going to be brighter unless it uses enough powah
The snag is, some sellers list the equivalent power not the actual LED power so best do some research before buying.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1