Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Portable jump starter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:27 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Portable jump starter Reply with quote

Since I started using my bike for commuting I think I'd like to carry one of these with me. Can anyone make any recommendations for a half decent option? There's plenty of reviews online but you can't beat experience.

Cheers Thumbs Up

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it's much to do with me what you decide to carry around, but honestly of all the things I could carry on the bike I can't think of something less useful!

I've never been unable to bump start a bike with a flat battery if it came down to it.

Personally I'd prioritise (sort of in order) a tyre plug kit, bicycle pump, basic tool set, small first aid kit, a torch, an emergency £20 note. If I still had space after all that... I don't know, probably some waterproofs or something before a battery jumper!

You can't beat experience, and that's my personal priorities with 13 years commuting under my belt.

Sorry, probably not that helpful a response Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant beat experience true.

Had several bikes and cars for years.

Never had an experience where such a device would be a consideration to carry around.

Buy a good battery and a battery maintenance device.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:09 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a particular reason you think you'll need to carry a power bank jump starter thingy around with you?

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:28 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Is there a particular reason you think you'll need to carry a power bank jump starter thingy around with you?

No, not really. For a relatively small outlay for something not much bigger than a mobile phone it seemed like a useful thing to have and at 400g not too onerous to carry. Can also charge phones and run cameras etc with it if you wanted.

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:38 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Never had an experience where such a device would be a consideration to carry around.

My battery is fine and alternator is doing it's job. My bike gets connected to a battery tender when not in use for more than a few days.

For not much money it seemed like a good insurance policy against a battery failing or me leaving parking lights on for the day Rolling Eyes (done it once some time ago at home so hopefully it won't happen again). I catch a ferry to work and leave the bike on the other side so I don't see it after I left it, it's not like it's in a car park outside at work.

The starter packs are not much bigger than a larger mobile and are about 400g.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not skip the lugging-a-lithium and just dump the lead-acid battery for a lithium-ion one. If it was half charged and left for winter it'd still have near enough the same charge come the spring, no tender required. (Barring a parasitic drain ofc.)

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sense someone wants to spend some money?
Take me out to dinner?

Great advice being given by folk already btw.
With one of those packs be careful and don't carry it in a bag - imagine the flames if you fall off..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit card or RAC/AA card for me.

I'm well past the days of stripping a bike down at the side of the road. Laughing

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:56 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Credit card or RAC/AA card for me.

I'm well past the days of stripping a bike down at the side of the road. Laughing

Last time I relied on the RAC they were 2.5 hours away Sad
Kept the membership just in case though.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are looking for a solution to a problem not many folk suffer from (If they maintain their shite.)

High Pathetically there is a chance of it being a thing. But for the number of times you will get an excuse to use such a thing are rare.
These rechargeables have a lifetime and charge cycle limit to consider as well.

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I used to have a problem with my bike in that when it was very cold ( 5am in winter ) the battery wouldn't have enough omph to turn it over quick enough to start it. I started carrying a small battery pack that usually gets used with phones but mine cam with battery leads to jump start cars/bikes. It worked fine for quite a while until I got fed up having to connect it up all the time and went out and bought a motobatt battery which solved it all.
So , do they work yes but a descent battery usually solves the problem anyway

Adam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one (Halfords Lithium Jump Starter - Up to 2L) and I like it. It's a gadget! I've used it a couple of times and it went well. A top-up charge didn't take long. The crocodile clips are a bit bulkier than expected and smaller ones would make an easier connection to bike battery terminals.

Yes, it's a slightly extravagant purchase. Reasons for buying: I have two bikes which I don't use as often as I used to, and they live in a garage with no power. Both bikes were alarmed but I removed the DataTool System 3 on the Kawasaki when it finally died. I expected the battery to last longer without the alarm drain but there has been no noticeable difference. The 10Ah Yuasa battery on the Meta 365T-alarmed R1 lasts much longer than the Yuasa 8Ah on the alarm-free Kawasaki. I've checked for parasitic drain but saw nothing. I might have done it wrong or not have a meter of sufficient sensitivity, but I guess the small battery on the Kawasaki just doesn't like being idle for long.

Anyhow, when I get the urge to take the Kawasaki out but find the battery is flat, this jump starter is an alternative to a solo push start (which I have done on both bikes) and possibly easier. It also means I don't have to fret about stopping before the bike has recharged the battery. You don't need it but it's nice to have.

It crossed my mind to replace the bike's lead-acid with a lithium but the charging system was made for lead-acid and I'm wary. The jump starter seems like a convenient half-way house. Having said all that I recently put a new battery on the Kawasaki and if I remember to charge it periodically or use the bike regularly I should have no need for the jump starter. I'm still happy to have it as a back-up. As mentioned, it will also charge my phone and camera.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentioned this before.

I have DB power powerbank, I bought it a few years ago because of my CBF500 suffering battery sudden death.

Only used it twice.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Still talking bollocks I see.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1