Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Finding/Creating a suitable bike for pootling around S. Asia

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Potatoes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:14 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Finding/Creating a suitable bike for pootling around S. Asia Reply with quote

I would like to do some travelling around a couple of South Asian countries on motorcycle. Bangladesh and if I get enough experience to be confident there, then Pakistan too.

Im not a (motor)cyclist already so this project begins with becoming reasonably competent riding and doing simple repairs on a bike over here in the UK. This will be a very slow project/journey to complete all these stages, I am in no hurry. But will dip back into this thread to get some tips and share ideas.

To begin with some mechanical advice on basic 125s would be appreciated as said countries have really expensive and restrictive import regulations. So I thought I'd make use of one of the millions of honda CG125s (or similar) I could find over there.

However, I've been on those bikes before and I'd really like some improvements. Aside from them all being very poorly maintained and overloaded for every day since they came out of the factory. Bikes (and most cars/trucks/buses) over there don't have any suspension, they have undamped springs.
Nearly every time I was on one as a passenger the lack of damping resulted In rather terrifying resonant bucking up and down as the curves in the road fed into the bike. I don't know if this is normal for all 70s-80s style bikes that have the twin rear shocks. But it certainly is over there, even on brand new 2019 bikes.

So my potential project is to make a reliable, comfortable and safe touring bike out of one of the very common base bikes available over there. This will also be handy for repairs while on the road.

I would like to take necessary components with me from the UK as the variety of products available in shops over there is very limited and very overpriced for anything not made domestically.
I plan to either send them freight or even a few bits in luggage as allowance is generally 40kg+
Because access to foreign parts is very limited over there, I could send over more parts than Ill use and be able to sell them for at least what I paid, if not a profit. I think I can send nearly a lot over, as long as it looks like a few spare parts doesn't look like a motorcycle missing a few parts.

I would like advice on what kind of upgrades are possible, worthwhile and ideal parts to use.

Not being a motorcyclist already, I can only speculate on what sort of things might be useful.

[list=]
Suspension upgrade for at least the rear, something adjustable with proper damping. I may want to do the local thing sometimes and ride with 2 passengers. I may want the most smooth ride for solo distances.

Provisions to at least service forks/make them work better.
Possible take entire fork legs if its worthwhile.

Bearings/Gaskets/Seals and that sort of thing.

A pair of good quality tyres, possibly slightly larger diameter than what is common on the bikes.

Provisions to service brakes.

Provisions to make a brighter main beam for headlight (it gets incredibly foggy over there and there are no lamposts on even on many major roads)

A windshield (dont laugh) it is very dusty over there, number 1 cause of death is respitoratory illness.

Maybe some sort of luggage box or rack.

Little bits like handlebar grips.

Lubricants etc.[/list]

Would appreciate thoughts on which of the very common old bikes (CG125 YBR125 etc) might be best. And what improvements you would make, and which shocks might be suitable.

Buying a new bike is an option but a last resort, as the bikes are massively overpriced and I hate the way they look so much that Id never enjoy riding one however childish that is.

Scouring every new bike available over there, the only thing that kind of appealed was a small moped sort of thing. A TVS XL100 heavy duty. But would be too slow and small for travelling between two cities confidently. But it is specifically designed for poor rural people to carry 130kg of produce and kids on the back. And the only cheap option as its about £600 as opposed to the new CG125 alternatives, which are around £2000

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, you've way overthought this already. Get some experience on 2 wheels to start with before trying to work out improvements on a bike you can't even ride!

Secondly, KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Thirdly, Honda Cub. Thumbs Up

Potatoes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:00 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Firstly, you've way overthought this already. Get some experience on 2 wheels to start with before trying to work out improvements on a bike you can't even ride!

Secondly, KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Thirdly, Honda Cub. Thumbs Up

Nearly everything is about the process not the end goal 😉

Its fun to "overthink" a little bit, to use a project to learn and experience stuff and enjoy a bit of shopping too.

I do know how to ride a motorcycle already, had a CBT before too. Just never got round to buying a bike and getting road experience, which I will of course if embarking on something like this.

Using a local bike IS my way of "KISS" , the complicated way would be trying to import a bike into destination country (costing +40% tax and £1000 shipping) just because I didn't like what was there.
This option would also be using a bigger as it would be a waste to import a 125. Which would mean I need to get a full bike license over here first and get the bigger bike experience.

All of that I see as a superfluous waste of time and money. But jumping on a local old 125 after a wee bit of tinkering not so much.

Potatoes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:02 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, the new "moped style bike" I listed in first post is very honda cub like but about 5x cheaper.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the alternative is to get a Cub over here that's in reasonable condition, do what you need to make it reliable, get your stuff together and ride it to Asia from here. Now that'd be one hell of an adventure!

I did read a book (forget the title) of a guy who did this on a pushbike from the UK - he had quite a journey. I seem to recall Pakistan wasn't a highlight though.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise this response is very late and the OP may never return, but I'll say this anyway.

On the assumption that you aren't dumb enough to consider riding in that part of the world without (at least) medical Insurance, get your bike licence in the UK and then get an International Drivers Permit (clearly stating that you have a bike licence).
Riding a motorbike is specifically excluded by many travel/medical insurance packages and the ones that do cover it will require you to be licenced for certain types of bike.

Alternatively don't get a licence and learn to set up a go-fund-me page with all the others that risked traveling without medical insurance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1