Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Isle of Man life

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Isle of Man life Reply with quote

I've had a company ask if I want to work for them on the Isle of Man.

Anybody know what it's like over there? The job is based in Douglas.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our office have people based over there and when I was in hospital a guy was on the same ward from there and they all seem to like it.

Issues as I see are getting goods sent to you and medical care. The Royal Liverpool has an arrangement with the Manx government if you need hospital treatment that the local place can't do, flying you back and forth with family and they have apartments for relatives to stay in while they are over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Isle of Man life Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Don't go. It's a great place that doesn't need spoiling with spunkbubbles like yourself.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Isle of Man life Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Don't go. It's a great place that doesn't need spoiling with spunkbubbles like yourself.

Have you only just discovered the internet or something? How old are you?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me Dave70's your man (or, "yer maun" Smile ) for this. I did see that he was logged in recently - perhaps PM him?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point in having a poke at the guy every time he posts? If you don't like him, don't talk to him Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:54 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incest, alcoholism and cats with no tails. So I'm told.

Mind you, the only person I know who lives there works in the probation service so he may have a slightly skewed perspective.

There is also the unrestricted highways, waymarked and graded green lanes and 10% income tax.

Oddly, said mate of mine is constantly reposting bremainer content on social media. I have pointed out that he doesn't live in the EU anyway...

Get them to include regular ferry/air travel back to the mainland as part of your relocation package. The IOM steam racket will bum you coming and going.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, Dave70 knows a bit about life there.

It's small, it'll be cliquey (not saying that disparagingly).

Don't live downwind of the kipper factory...or maybe that's your thing eh...

You a kipper sniffer?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely people, lovely scenery, quite small ..... but like going back in time 40 years ( in a good way ). Your main issue may well be preferring it to the UK.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Isle of Man life Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Will working in the IOM still allow you to dodge repaying the tax payer for your well into adulthood work dodging, as you do in China China China?

I presume this is the main reason you're interested.

No, you div, I have literally no idea about the tax status of the Isle of Man. I don't make decisions based on things as painfully cynical as, "How much tax will I have to pay if I go here?" Your whole life seems to revolve around hatred and bean counting, and hating people who don't bean count to your standards, you bean counting bore.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who gave sensible replies, thanks Karma Karma Karma

It's only a very tentative idea at the moment, based on nothing more than a message from an employer asking if I'm interested.

Isle of Man never really existed in my mind for anything other than the bike racing event, which has never been a big thing to me either.

Good to know there's a kipper factory to live downwind of.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Isle of Man never really existed in my mind for anything other than the bike racing event, which has never been a big thing to me either.

Well it wouldn’t be a draw for you would it, you odious dull excuse for a human being.

Mind you don’t you ride a GT550 or something else unspeakably shit?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

It's only a very tentative idea at the moment, based on nothing more than a message from an employer asking if I'm interested.

Wait... Is 'a Bean Counting Bore' actually a thing? Thinking
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

They do a big race once or twice a year.

The ferry company monopolise the ferry service, over charge and run auld hulks as ferries.

The weather is not always 'Cot Azure'.

Citizenship is/could be an issue but can it be purchased.

There may/may not be a extradition treaty with the UK/EU.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 19:01 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,

I live in Ramsey and work in Douglas. Moved here about 4 years ago.

Send me a PM and I'll happily talk you through whatever you want to know.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Shell Ship Management went 'offshore' to save paying all sorts of things they relocated to the IOM.

I had to go there a few times and TBH found it a pain in the arse for travel. Definitely get company allowance for air fares or ferry because it is not easyjet cheap to get there. (unless it's changed in the last 5 or so years).

I find the UK small enough, the IOM is a little rock in the Irish sea that got boring very quickly and I was never there longer than a couple of weeks.

Castletown, where Shell had it's office, is full of dead people. (well, they don't do much).

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Its a fuckin island.
2. Its a fuckin small island.
3. ... that's all I got.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
1. Its a fuckin island.
3. ... that's all I got.

1. Australia's a fucking island.
2. It's a fucking big island.
3. ... ditto.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
hellkat wrote:
1. Its a fuckin island.
3. ... that's all I got.

1. Australia's a fucking island.
2. It's a fucking big island.
3. ... ditto.

1. The British mainland is a fucking island.
2. It's a fucking large-ish island.
3. ... PM me for details.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for a return to Gondwanaland.
But everyone else voted for Brexit.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Citizenship is/could be an issue but can it be purchased.

Not true!

The IOM are actively trying to get people to relocate there, right now!
If you've got a UK passport, you're in, no questions asked.

Having looked into this, very seriously, here are some facts.
Buying a property is around 15 to 20% more than the mainland.
Council tax is significantly cheaper than the mainland, as is road tax, food, drink and fuel are marginally more expensive.

Unless you're, literally, earning millions the tax advantages are minimal.

We've not experienced it but have been told that at certain times, due to winter weather conditions, food stocks in supermarkets can become a bit sketchy.

If you've been a city dweller all your life, then yes, it's going to be a culture shock, if you've lived in a rural location there is no difference.

The climate is much better than the mainland, although the weather can be very changeable.

If you want to refurbish a property, it could be expensive, as tradesmen and building materials are in short supply and both may have to be brought in from the mainland.

You can take any UK registered vehicle over there and like your driving licence, the vehicles will automatically be transferred to IOM status as will your licence.

There is no MOT for motorcycles.

Don't forget though that holidays and anything you need to do on the mainland is going to cost you in ferry or plane fares!

If you're after a quiet life, it's a great place, it's like the Peak district without the, fuckin', ramblers, the fuckin', caravans and the, fuckin', ridiculous speed limits, with better weather and the best motorcycle racing in the world, on your doorstep, what more could you want?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
what more could you want?

Cats with tails and people with 2 legs, not 3.

It's either inbreeding or they have had a nuclear accident and not told anyone. Folded arms

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:19 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More helpful replies, thanks Karma Karma Karma

I grew up in a pretty rural town so I imagine things are similar. The island aspect bothers me a bit though. Here in ch-ch-china, people sometimes ask if I'd consider Taiwan - I tell them no because it's an island and I prefer the idea of living on a big and easily explored mainland. Something about 'Isle of Man' just seemed interesting though, at least for a year or two.

Either way, it's a very tentative thought at the moment. Things have changed rather quick, too, as just last night I received a very exciting interview offer from another potential job - one I would much rather do. It's also UK based, so expect another Auntie BCF "tell me about XXXX" thread in the near future Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2