Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Tyranny of Democracy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: The Tyranny of Democracy Reply with quote

I was watching some Tim Pool and it seems the Democrat states in 'murica are still bent out of shape over Trump winning. So much so that they want to subvert the electoral college system when the next presidential election swings round.

TBH I haven't quite got a handle on the US voting system but part way through Tim explains how a drought occurred in California and in response they had a vote. And the ppl in LA voted that all the water should be sent to the city. The ppl in rural areas were left with nothing.

This reminded me of the Ukrainian famine under the Soviets: all the grain was to be sent to the cities and anyone, anyone caught not handing in all their grain, even some scraps they found in the fields after harvest, were summarily executed. Unless you were a woman trying to feed your starving children, you might get off with just being raped.

Okay, so they're not (yet) executing ppl in California but it's ironic that Democracy and Communism both came up with the same answer: fuck the poor.

At a complete tangent I've always found it odd that, although I spend a good chunk of my life working in Tolworth, I get absolutely no say in how the town is run (e.g. council elections.) Fair enough you might say: it would be impractical to somehow split your vote between you home town and "work town" (and split it again if you changed jobs.) However the company I work for, like many others, does not move around. It is a legal entity subject to various laws, allowed to own property, can be found guilty of various crimes and, most importantly, liable for taxes.

"No taxation without representation!"

But a company has no direct representation (unless its directors and employees all live and work in the same town but even then the interests of the company might not align with its people.) Instead we have systems of tacitly approved corruption like lobbying and cushy directorships for MPs after they leave parliament Sad

But no, only the people get to have a say and if the majority say "lower our council tax but up the business rates" don't go crying when where you live turns into a ghost town as all the businesses up-sticks or go bankrupt.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:11 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Re: The Tyranny of Democracy Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

But no, only the people get to have a say and if the majority say "lower our council tax but up the business rates" don't go crying when where you live turns into a ghost town as all the businesses up-sticks or go bankrupt.

I'd have thought low tax would be well balanced by raised business rates.

People with more spending money spend it at those businesses.

I can understand there's a fine balance between the two, but I don't think the immediate claim that businesses will leave or fail is quite correct.

(Tagential rant)
Same goes at a national level too. George the utter cunt Osborne decided to put the squeeze on the lower and middle classes, and left businesses to operate fairly merrily (and large corporations were laughing!). As a result, nobody had any spending money, so businesses had no income and had to close anyway. Less jobs, even less money, even less spending. A vicious downward cycle. Osborne killed local economies all over the country, precisely because he reduced the spending power of everyday working people with his childish 'household budget' style of government economics.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:11 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Re: The Tyranny of Democracy Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Correct.

This is the danger of populism.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:50 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Re: The Tyranny of Democracy Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

How does that compare to the dangers of a communist dictatorship? Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:55 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Re: The Tyranny of Democracy Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:

Very Happy China isn't a communist dictatorship though is it? It's a Napoleonic style merit system based on the imperial examination system. Therefore those within the party are there because of merit and ability rather than being popular.

This means that ministers and civil servants have qualifications and work experience in the areas they govern.

Transport ministers for instance have degrees and work experience in transport. Surprised

Energy ministers for instance have degrees and work experience in energy. Surprised

I'd run you through the entire system but you won't read it.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the dangers of a Napoleonic system? Very Happy

Does the Chinese system give points to citizens based on loyalty to the regime? Is it something they are adopting from the NK system?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Re: The Tyranny of Democracy Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Energy ministers for instance have degrees and work experience in energy. Surprised

How well is China doing with reducing its reliance on coal?

Quote:
I'd run you through the entire system but you won't read it.

If I'd asked for it, I would Very Happy

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the dangers of a Napoleonic system? Very Happy

It's the SAS problem.

X number of places Y number of applicants.

X is always a smaller number than Y.

So 1000 exceptional soldiers apply for 5 SAS places. You get 5 exceptional SAS members. The 995 would still make very very good soldiers but their potential is wasted.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my other questions?
C'mon Itchy, I'm actually asking you about China Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the absence of an Itchy reply*, maybe China is perfect, citizens are already better behaved:

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-social-credit-system-punishments-and-rewards-explained-2018-4?r=US&IR=T

Question

Anyone got any disputes with their method?

*First rule of the social credit system: you do not talk about the social credit system...?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Re: The Tyranny of Democracy Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Very Happy China isn't a communist dictatorship though is it? It's a Napoleonic style merit system based on the imperial examination system. Therefore those within the party are there because of merit and ability rather than being popular...

LMAO! Obvious troll trolls obviously Razz

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"By the will of the people..." a phrase that could be equally attributable to both Communism and Democracy.

But most people are idiots. It all went wrong with universal suffrage Sad

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

*First rule of the social credit system: you do not talk about the social credit system...?

Oh no somebody published something online therefore it has to be 1000% true.

Iraq war WMD Very Happy

The social credit experiment is mostly bogus because yeah? It's been tried out as an experiment in 5 cities. It's not been rolled out and it's what? A gloried credit report.

OMG a credit report!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Re: The Tyranny of Democracy Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
LMAO! Obvious troll trolls obviously Razz

Very Happy

Ever heard of the ACCA? Or any profession really. You take exams and you get work experience. This allows you to get your competences signed off. Once you have completed all of the exams and get the work experience you can apply to be a full ACCA member. Stay long enough and you get an FCCA.

They do this so their members meet a standard of ability and competence. Nobby has been through this I believe. I went through this in 2007-2008.

The CCP system is the same. To get a position in the civil service you need to go through a whole load of exams and competences.

The exam and competence system takes 20 years. This means it filters the best to be the leaders. It filters out incompetent and doesn't advance them beyond their ability levels.

There is nothing about popularity until you get right to the top where the provincial leaders vote for one of them to become leader.

There's no old boys club or Eton types. The entire leadership and the civil service beneath them of the CCP comes from varied universities and varied backgrounds who went through this system. There are however some revolutionaries that are hanging on but when they pass they'll be replaced by somebody who has passed all those exams and competences.

Above the 2nd tier there are no family relationships. You have to go through the competence pipe.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Oh no somebody published something online therefore it has to be 1000% true.

https://www.theneweconomy.com/strategy/116498

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit-system-explained

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/01/china-bans-23m-discredited-citizens-from-buying-travel-tickets-social-credit-system

Take your pick. There are dozens of articles from all kinds of sources to read.

But be careful not to criticise the system Itchy. You might get punished!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's all so fantastic and based on merit how come China has so many corruption clear outs.

Am I right in saying China still has the death penalty?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
If it's all so fantastic and based on merit how come China has so many corruption clear outs.

Because humans are corrupt. And therefore any system involving humans is going to have some corruption. But isn't that interesting? That you know corruption is actually rooted out.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Re: The Tyranny of Democracy Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:

Correct.

I get it, but I also laugh at the current use of the word "populism" in democracies as a derogation. So-called populism redresses the balance and is only on the rise now because we've gone too far from the centre. It's not a permanent state. Once the pendulum has swung back through the middle ground and looks like going onwards to a new extreme the electorate will redress the balance. Ghost towns and bankruptcy aren't popular.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:

Because humans are corrupt. And therefore any system involving humans is going to have some corruption.

Whoa there Itchy! Did you just admit that China gets corrupt people in government?! The Infallible, Glorious People's Republic of China has corruption?!
Hey dude, you want to be careful what you say, you never know who's watching. I mean, that could be you limited to economy class internal flights only, right there! Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Because humans are corrupt. And therefore any system involving humans is going to have some corruption. But isn't that interesting? That you know corruption is actually rooted out.

They seem to have a knack for corruption but anyhoo... death penalty?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious all these opinions about China from people who clearly know absolutely nothing about China.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the country has a far more meritocratic and less-corrupt political system than the UK. UK politics is something like:

10% merit
50% networking
40% personality cult

"Democracy" Laughing

China is hard tests, low paid work, tough selection and years of service. It's a completely different ball game really.

I've learned a lot about China since arriving here and am definitely weary/jaded about a lot of things. I could write a small book about some of the stuff that is starting to really piss me off. However, absolutely none of it is based on the hysterical bollocks printed in the western media. It really isn't possible to know anything about China until you've been here for yourself.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
It really isn't possible to know anything about China until you've been here for yourself.

Well you can't knock that but there are enough YouTube videos on the topic of "what I learnt living in China" to get a fair idea.

Don't think I could handle a tonal language though!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:29 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
It really isn't possible to know anything about China until you've been here for yourself.

https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/whstn.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/whstn.gif

That is a really interesting statement. You need to think carefully about that one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2