Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tin foil hat time...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Tin foil hat time... Reply with quote

So I voted today in the Euro elections. It's bad and gets worse..

No voting card arrived for me and so I simply went in and told them. As you all know, you can still vote this way.
Now, I actually knew two of the four people on the desks. Not once was I asked for my ID - I simply gave my address and they told me my name!
I voted and job done.
Great? Nope. A friend in the next village mentioned to me afterwards that she didn't get a card through her door either. She did what I did and simply went along to the polling station for her own village (we vote at different sites). She wasn't asked for ID either yet she didn't know anyone on the desks. She questioned them on why they didn't ask for it - they shrugged their shoulders and said nothing.

Coincidence?
Is that the way it is??

I have my tin foil hat on. Has anyone else had this happen to them too on this vote??
To me this seems to stink of something. Not asking for ID is appalling. Anyone could vote for anyone and in any village if it's this easy.

Is this vote even going to be adhered to? Call it 'The Brexit Effect'. An effect created in voters when an actual vote wasn't fully listened to.
(I can hear people folding their newspapers and typing furiously at me now!)

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:13 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to have ID to vote, it wouldn't be legal, everyone* can vote, having ID is not compulsory.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been interested in voting during the EU elections before but I made this one a protest vote. I did some research on the candidates last night and my chosen party lobby group listed something like 8 or 9 candidates. Sadly they were all hedge-fund w*ankers apart from the last guy who was an engineer with a proper job. "He's my man," says I. However, it turns out the way it's run is that you vote for a party and as they win seats they fill them from the top of their list, so my man is bottom of the heap and I might have just voted a banker in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I agree mpd. I'd lost the hope way before Brexit came along.

Todays shenanigans though - I could have blagged in every polling station in the area as long as I knew a post code and surname..

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:43 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I simply gave my address and they told me my name!
I voted and job done. "
I think they cross you name and address off their list when they give you your ballot paper.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infamy! Infamy! ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:02 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is stopping you from doing that.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Tin foil hat time... Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
No voting card arrived for me and so I simply went in and told them. As you all know, you can still vote this way.

You don't need to take your polling card to the polling station. It says that on it (but of course you didn't get the card). If you are not registered to vote at your address, you cannot vote. Are you a first-time voter, perhaps?

Sister Sledge wrote:
Not once was I asked for my ID - I simply gave my address and they told me my name! I voted and job done.

Yes, that's how it happens. As Ste said, they cross your name off. It's always like that. If there's a question over legitimacy, they have procedures to follow.

Sister Sledge wrote:
Is this vote even going to be adhered to?

Yes. The Brexit party is likely to win more seats than any other, too.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shurely this is the time you bring up rigged postal votes in mainly Muslim areas... Twisted Evil

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Shurely this is the time you bring up rigged postal votes in mainly Muslim areas... Twisted Evil

... and double-voting students.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"I simply gave my address and they told me my name!
I voted and job done. "
I think they cross you name and address off their list when they give you your ballot paper.
I've done that job. There is a number next to your name, they put that on the ballot paper then hand it to you to mark it and put it in the box.

I believe the ballot papers are kept after the count for a year in case of a recount or investigations of fraud. You can work out who voted for what candidate from the number on the sheet if you wanted to.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Tin foil hat time... Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

You don't need to take your polling card to the polling station. It says that on it (but of course you didn't get the card). If you are not registered to vote at your address, you cannot vote. Are you a first-time voter, perhaps?
Sister Sledge wrote:
Not once was I asked for my ID - I simply gave my address and they told me my name! I voted and job done.

Yes, that's how it happens. As Ste said, they cross your name off. It's always like that. If there's a question over legitimacy, they have procedures to follow.

Agreed, that's always how it's been done. Very weird though, considering the typically relatively low voter turnout. I mean, the only failsafe against a fraudulent vote is if an individual who's already been crossed off apparently tries to vote again. So all you have to do is know the names and addresses of anyone who is unlikely to bother pitching to vote, and you can simply use their vote.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind you'd have to commit this fraud at different polling stations for fear of being recognised... unless you wear a disguise!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:25 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Bear in mind you'd have to commit this fraud at different polling stations for fear of being recognised... unless you wear a disguise!

https://cdn.images.dailystar.co.uk/dynamic/1/photos/918000/620x/599547cf5ec70_burka1.jpg

Whistle

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been at this address for 7 years and have always received a voting card. My friend who didn't get hers has lived in her current house for 23 years. We've always used the opportunity to vote.

Hang on - I always thought my vote was anonymous? So you're saying that those at the top can actually see my political preferences??
Kinda stinks that.

It's a very outdated system. I do think it's very open to abuse. I also don't think electronic voting is the answer either because hacking and stuff.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:43 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

It's a very outdated system. I do think it's very open to abuse. I also don't think electronic voting is the answer either because hacking and stuff.

The answer is to stop the plebs voting. That way they can't give a result the establishment don't like and if you don't have votes, you can't have abuse.

Of course a side effect would be you don't get decisions you don't want, like voting for Brexit. Laughing

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Hang on - I always thought my vote was anonymous? So you're saying that those at the top can actually see my political preferences??
Kinda stinks that.

Page 44, of the following document, gives you the official position on that matter!

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/164255/EPE-Polling-station-handbook.pdf

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
No it doesn't.

Really?
The fact that you, willfully, choose to misunderstand and disregard what Sister Sledge was asking is par for the course, for you!

The actual answer to his question:-

Sister Sledge wrote:
Hang on - I always thought my vote was anonymous? So you're saying that those at the top can actually see my political preferences?

(Not your own, purposefully, obtuse, agenda driven narrative, is specifically given on page 44 of the document I referred to).

Here it is in black and white:-

The Electoral Commission wrote:

Q. Why do you need to write my elector number beside my ballot paper number? Does this mean my vote is not secret?

A. The requirement that the elector number is recorded on this list against the number of the ballot paper issued to you is included in the election rules.
This system is essentially an updated version of a system that dates from the Ballot Act 1872, which was introduced to avoid the possibility of counterfeit ballot papers being used and to assist with the detection of
alleged fraud.
Clearly, if the ballot papers are numbered, it is far more difficult for an unscrupulous person to introduce copies of official ballot papers into
the ballot box. If a fraudulent act has occurred, it would be possible to detect the offence by reference to the corresponding number list.
There is a safeguard to prevent the ballot paper numbers on the corresponding number list being linked with the marked ballot papers.
At the close of poll, the corresponding number list is placed in a sealed envelope by the Presiding Officer at the polling station. The sealed envelope is then taken to the Local Returning Officer.
After the count has take place, the used ballot papers are also sealed.
The only occasion when the sealed packets can be opened is on the order of a judge as a result of an election petition or in furtherance of an investigation into an alleged election offence. Even then, it is very rare for the documents to be examined except in cases
where fraud or personation, (i.e. someone voting illegally on someone else’s behalf), are being investigated.
Because of the above safeguards, it is virtually impossible for any person to be in a position to marry up the voter to a particular ballot paper.
For that reason, voters can be confident that the ballot remains secret. Voters have no grounds to fear that the way in which they voted could be detected, except under the very special circumstances outlined above.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
yen_powell wrote:
I've done that job. There is a number next to your name, they put that on the ballot paper then hand it to you to mark it and put it in the box.

I believe the ballot papers are kept after the count for a year in case of a recount or investigations of fraud. You can work out who voted for what candidate from the number on the sheet if you wanted to.

You can't though. All you can prove is that someone claiming to be from that address and saying "yes" when asked if they were the person on the register, placed that vote.

There is no checking that the person is who they claim to be. The clerk at the polling station takes their word for it, without requesting proof.
I had to take their card off of them (if they had it, you don't have to have one) look at it and then ask their name and address. Most just meekly tell you. Some get shirty because they think you are calling them a liar. Back then (in the 80s) it was one policeman covering 3 or 4 polling stations, if it kicks off you are on your own until they get there. I was in a rough area, the school caretaker let me bring my motorbike in to the school hall to keep it safe!

One man followed his wife in to the polling booth to tell her who to vote for, I pointed this out to the manager who was a bit of a knob. Instead of just gently tapping the bloke on the shoulder and telling him it was a 'no no', he grabbed him and started pushing him away causing a 10 minute shouting match.

In the same area now there are multiple police at every polling station because of voting fraud problems a few years ago. Someone got pulled over and had hundreds of postal ballot papers in his boot I seem to recall.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2