BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chinese Engineering

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So normal retail margin is somewhere between 40 to 60%. So the base price where retail makes no "profit" as such for that umbrella is ~£70 (as this is a premium brand) so when you see "half price sale" with the brolly at £85 the shop is still, in their view, making a profit of £15. Retail profits go towards paying rent, business rates and wages. Note that for a retail shop in say, Regents Street you're looking at millions per year of rent and a million or so for business rates just for a standard sized shop front.

So £70 - £6 = £64 and from that needs to come marketing costs (a lot for such a brand) and company costs (paying the wages of the head office staff) until finally you get to the "real" profits for the company which probably comes to about a tenner.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

In fact good for me sometimes. Just recently my wife and 3 children came for a month holiday and even though I am in the back of nowhere north east china, she can still find all the designer handbags that are as good as the real thing, my wife took a few home. Rolling Eyes

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:02 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I'm amazed that company is still going. Who wants to waste £230 on a shirt just to look like a council estate chav on his way to court?

Having sat in many a Magistrates Court (part of my job, not up before it) I can say that some of them don't even wear a shirt...

Nice engineering by the way Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
So normal retail margin is somewhere between 40 to 60%. So the base price where retail makes no "profit" as such for that umbrella is ~£70 (as this is a premium brand) so when you see "half price sale" with the brolly at £85 the shop is still, in their view, making a profit of £15. Retail profits go towards paying rent, business rates and wages. Note that for a retail shop in say, Regents Street you're looking at millions per year of rent and a million or so for business rates just for a standard sized shop front.

So £70 - £6 = £64 and from that needs to come marketing costs (a lot for such a brand) and company costs (paying the wages of the head office staff) until finally you get to the "real" profits for the company which probably comes to about a tenner.

Dude do you have shares in them?

Burberry do have retail units yes but the majority of their brand is sold through smaller private shops ran by private owners - boutiques and the likes. Another massive outlet for them is airports.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Dude do you have shares in them?

Burberry do have retail units yes but the majority of their brand is sold through smaller private shops ran by private owners - boutiques and the likes. Another massive outlet for them is airports.

Just an example of a simple retail model. I would imagine them selling the £6 brolly to small outlets for ~£60.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:37 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more photos I took today in the workshop. This is one of a pair of shafts having Timken bearings fitted. The shafts are for a Rotary Crop Shear. Basically two rotating knives that come precisely together at the right time, that cut the steel plate to length at the end of it's run, or to a calculated size. The big spiral gear is part of the drive system.

The big blue machine in the photo is not ours, but a similar type of cutting device.

And lastly, we had a visitor here a couple of month's ago, not sure who he was.... Wink no one was allowed out of the offices and security was as tight as a submarine's hatch. Looks like he could hold a crowd though. Smile

https://i.imgur.com/lXdRPs0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8r5bXvB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/33bW1Gc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/W16uwnd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tGHFBMA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mWmZdBd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ja3upEU.jpg

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:01 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with those major bearings, are they Chinese made too?
I'm wondering because although China obviously makes bearings, should one of those fail then it'll shut a steel plant down until replaced.

Ebay at one point was selling 10 mm (internal) bearing races from China. They looked the business but the metals were not hardened haha! Literally toffee metal.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
So with those major bearings, are they Chinese made too?
I'm wondering because although China obviously makes bearings, should one of those fail then it'll shut a steel plant down until replaced.

Ebay at one point was selling 10 mm (internal) bearing races from China. They looked the business but the metals were not hardened haha! Literally toffee metal.

The Timken company actually sent their guy here today to oversee the fitting of the bearings on the shafts and into the housings. Timken also as part of their contract guarantee their product, so yes, they are made properly or they would have a million euro payout.

But I totally believe about the toffee bearings, my kids bike wheels hang off after 3 months Evil or Very Mad

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:46 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I'm amazed that company is still going. Who wants to waste £230 on a shirt just to look like a council estate chav on his way to court?

The Chinese Laughing I have Chinese family and every time they come to the UK they buy Burberry.

I also work for a Chinese company in the UK and have had my own fun dealing with products we buy in to resell.
All the director that come over from time to time all buy Burberry to take back with them, they are crazy about the brand.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:10 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ^^
Although a British brand and products mostly imported, those goods head back off to where they were made to be worn by those with money!
Exactly the sort of thing that's killing the planet in fact.

I admit to having a wardrobe full of the stuff at one time but I never paid for a single item.
For me I was able to get things as 'wash trials' which basically meant it I wanted something I'd twist the arms of quality control (chat up Sandra) and agree to try wearing and washing a product and reporting back with it after a set amount of time. Quality control then checked the item and signed it off as being good or bad quality and because now used it could never go back into stock and I got to keep it!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2