Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

bikes you don't see much any more

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever saw one TDR being ridden around at the time they came out. It appeared to handle very well and was rapid. The perfect position for wheelies too.

The Katana was ugly. I think it was the angular lines which put people off but it looks fine now. I'd love one.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
I preferred the Benelli 900 Sei

Iirc correctly, I've seen just the one. It's owned by my mate's brother - who never rides it and for whom it's some sort of investment (apparently). Time will tell on that score. I err towards the sceptical side on that particular piece of speculation!

I have never seen another quite like the one I used to see. It was bright red and black, and had the little Guzzi Le Mans Mk1 nose fairing. Low, sleek and very, very loud!
I think most people don't even know about them - they'd know of the Ducati 900SS, the Laverda Jota etc, but this one slipped under the radar, so it won't have a misty-eyed following willing to blow megabucks on any surviving examples perhaps. Maybe in reality it wasn't a great bike? Dunno.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Z750 twin would be a desired bike now because of the rarity.

I rode one back in the mists of time and as someone said, it just wasn't a Kawasaki, limp, heavy and gutless. I'd like one now though!

I always wanted to try the Kawasaki Voyager, Kwacks answer to the Goldwing. It never sold well though.

https://cdn-w.v12soft.com/photos/LToYE7c/11719837/74988_000000794_2mvucmp_800600.jpg

And another bike I haven't seen for years, the Yamaha TR1

https://www.bikesrestored.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/yamahatr1-1983-5.jpg

Another 'should have sold well but didn't'.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course - the TR1. The reason I should've mentioned it is because a very good mate of mine owned one from new and put 75k on it iirc. We've been looking out for one for a few years now but it remains unspotted.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course - the TR1. The reason I should've mentioned it is because a very good mate of mine owned one from new and put 75k on it iirc. We've been looking out for one for a few years now but it remains unspotted.

Didn't that get hammered by the biking press for some reason?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did, yet the 750 version of the engine put in the cruiser style bike was lauded. I can't remember the reasons for the slagging though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

They did, yet the 750 version of the engine put in the cruiser style bike was lauded. I can't remember the reasons for the slagging though.

Something very fundamental about it that Yamaha got wrong...reliability, or just design flaws? Wikipedia seems to think it actually sold quite well in Europe, but can't find anything definitive on it.

Last edited by chickenstrip on 11:20 - 26 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As no one has posted it, I shall have to.

It's the only bike I have seen brand new in a shop but never ever on the road. Can anyone guess?

See next post.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DN-01

https://www.bikesrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/dn01_rhs-696x464.jpg

I ought to hate it but I don't Embarassed

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were going to say NR750.

Which, when I "worked" at a motorcycle dealership on the parts counter, we once priced one up as if you bought it as a collection of parts, new. The figure was utterly ridiculous, mind bending. No surprise if you consider what they cost new anyway, which is what prompted us to carry out this little exercise. Don't ask me the figure we came to; think it might have been in the order of infinity Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
DN-01

I ought to hate it but I don't Embarassed

Novelty value.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Something very fundamental about it that Yamaha got wrong...reliability, or just design flaws? Wikipedia seems to think it actually sold quite well in Europe, but can't find anything definitive on it.

Aha, remembered one thing, the TR1 was chain drive and the 750 cruiser was shaft drive. The mags were bitching that the TR1 wasn't a shaftie, a bit like they did with the FJ1200.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - in some ways it wouldn't surprise me if it did, because it's probably a good example of big and bland. Okay, it's got a v-twin - so should have a little bit of character. But making only 70 brake is a bit weak really.

It was apparently only the second v-twin to be built by the Japs (citation needed ; - )). Another usp of the tr1 was it's enclosed chain thang, meaning you could clock up to 50 billion light years on the mutha before replacement beckoned.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

aaarrgghh my eyes...my very eyes!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/GQI382aMVej0k/giphy.gif

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The Bike review from 1981 was very even-handed, I thought. But the lack of excitement on the part of the reviewer is pretty obvious, even if it's for the most part implicit. Main gripe was w/ the tyres.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Honda CBX550FII

https://classic-motorbikes.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/8294.jpg

A great looking bike for 1982, always hankered after one, but the chocolate camshafts and the, ultimately, crap inboard discs put paid to that idea.

Fortunately I bought a 250 LC instead! Laughing

Anyway I haven't seen one for years, mind you I only ever saw a couple, both brand new, pristine examples, in a showroom, I assume any others that were sold were, constantly, in for warranty repairs and never actually turned a wheel on the road.

I had one. Touch-wood the only bike I've had nicked so far. Only real issues were the cam-chain tensioner seizing and stretching the chain leading to that CBX550 death rattle, plus the length of time it took to change pads because of silly Honda inboard disks. That bike could do everything - hoon, tour, commute.... I'd gladly have another but even these are commanding silly prices nowadays.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main gripe was w/ the tyres.

Lol, bit unfair!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviewer said he nearly lost it at a rainy MIRA in Nuneaton having got to 106. Bridgestones.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a little kid I often walked past a Katana, but I'd have set one on fire to have a red/black GPZ900r and kicked it over to sit on a GPZ1100A too.

Agree about the two stroke stuff now, not rare to see at shows, meets or in oldies central heated garages, compared to the nonstand out examples of UJM's or small commuters that were also rans to the limelight models. Eg you'll still see far more Superdream's than XS250's etc.

In the late 90's I knew a bloke with a big orange Jota 180, and a Guzzi Le-mans 850. Haven't seen one of either Italian for years now though.

Its getting pathetic nowadays to the point where you don't even see many 15yr old tuned twist and go peds, as kids don't go outside much and the few that do are riding Chinese CBR125 clones and monkey metal supermoto bikes with no exhaust.

Would sure hate to be 17now and have the tongue dripping selection of cool AF 125's there is now, fuck that!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the days of unrestricted 50s and 125s. You don't see any of those on the road any more, which is a shame because they were more fun than bigger bikes IMO when everybody had them. I has these rocketships….. The AP could do an indicated 55mph, the KH about 75 and I once saw 80 on the GP. That was back in the day when 50s made nearly 5bhp and 125s made almost 15 Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I miss the days of unrestricted 50s and 125s. You don't see any of those on the road any more, which is a shame because they were more fun than bigger bikes IMO when everybody had them.

Was it the bikes, or the fact that "everybody had them"? I'll bet a lot would say LCs were more fun when everybody had them. I had more fun on bigger bikes because everybody I knew had them. Whatever you ride, you make your own fun.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I miss the days of unrestricted 50s and 125s. You don't see any of those on the road any more, which is a shame because they were more fun than bigger bikes IMO when everybody had them.

Was it the bikes, or the fact that "everybody had them"? I'll bet a lot would say LCs were more fun when everybody had them. I had more fun on bigger bikes because everybody I knew had them. Whatever you ride, you make your own fun.

It was both. We used to get up to dafter stunts on little bikes because it hurt and cost less coming off at relatively low speeds. It was only when we got bigger bikes that the grim reaper came knocking...

For example I can remember a lad in the year above wheelying a KE125 through Woolworth's window. It cost him more to replace the pick-and-mix than it did to repair his bike. Try that on a GS1000 Laughing

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my 2 stroke 250s as well. I do remember a time when we rode those like 50s and 125s because we didn't have the sense to realise that going through a hedge at warp-speed on one of those hurt considerably more than doing it on a tiddler. These were my weapons of choice. Both completely different but lovely in their own right:

Last edited by Diggs on 16:52 - 26 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

For example I can remember a lad in the year above wheelying a KE125 through Woolworth's window. It cost him more to replace the pick-and-mix than it did to repair his bike. Try that on a GS1000 Laughing

Christ, wasn't it easier to just stroll in, stuff your pockets and stroll out again?! Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Yes please. Yellow and black though please. I had a little go on one in about 1990/91 but didn't go very far. I had
the motorcycle shop where I was working at the times trade plates on and had no full licence. Laughing Long enough of a go
to almost loop it on first pull away (something similar happened with the MT09 Laughing ) and decided after a mile or so "This
things bloody dangerous!!! I want one!!!" Which was exactly the thought process when buying the Spacker. I had already
decided what I was having and was dead set on a Striple at that point. But the party on 2 wheels that is the MT09 changed
my mind and I bought the less accomplished but way more fun bike.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go! Cheap as chips. Shocked

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-Honda-DN-01-NSA700A-Zero-Miles-Check-Out-the-Pics-11-995/253495845218?hash=item3b0587a162:g:roYAAOSw3W5arA8v
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 336 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4