Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

bikes you don't see much any more

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z750 twin seems to be one of those bikes that's more popular now than when it was new. Not sure how many they originally sold here but there are quite a few being imported from the 'States, and they seem to fetch fairly strong money.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

some lightweights

https://cdn.cycletrader.com/topics/yamaha-TW-200.png

tw200 (the serow lump in a funkier guise) - never actually seen one; a US market bike though, so not surprising

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/attachments/23838d1366448210-honda-cb-250-nighthawk-part-number-8501095b3013022400300.jpg

250 Nighthawk - square bore and stroke, massive range

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery/Honda%20CB%20250RS%2081.jpg

Hardly see one of these from one year to the next

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cdn1.mecum.com/auctions/lv0118/lv0118-314929/images/1-1513979786212@2x.jpg?1516727744000
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always liked the look of the FT500.
Unfortunately they didn't look as good in real life as they did in the photos!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
https://cdn1.mecum.com/auctions/lv0118/lv0118-314929/images/1-1513979786212@2x.jpg?1516727744000

Tried very hard to buy of those a couple of weeks ago, but despite advertising it on the open market, the seller made it too difficult for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:06 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a z750 twin , it has been in bits for a "little while" Z400 bottom end with half a z900 head , built to compete with the XS650 but too heavy and leaden to compete. now it's mot and tax exempt mine might well see the light of day one day .

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:55 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Imo, the rectangular headlight looks terrible and mucks up the shape of the bike's entire front end. A standard round light would improve it no end - but that wasn't the trend at the time.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:24 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda VT500E.

Apart from shite inboard discs, it was a solid bike. I suspect the motors are used in projects a lot contributes to it's scarcity now.

Crap inboard discs were the reason I didn't buy a VF400 a couple of weeks back. I forgot just how bad they were.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen a standard one of these in a while:-

https://suprememotos.com/uploads/postfotos/honda-cx650t-turbo-rare-classic-motorcycle-vintage-excellent-cx650-t-1.JPG

Not your actual "plastic maggot", more of a "maggotty super barge".
You couldn't move without falling over one of the normally aspirated 500's, at one time.
Have the turbo's been discovered by the beardy blokes in the checked shirts yet, or are they too complicated for them?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

I got chatting to a bloke at High Beach one time who had one of these. He told me that the UK Honda Owner's Club didn't know about them, and wouldn't recognise it as a Honda model Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Suntan Sid wrote:

Imo, the rectangular headlight looks terrible and mucks up the shape of the bike's entire front end. A standard round light would improve it no end - but that wasn't the trend at the time.

Such a simple thing to change, you couldn't let that put you off buying one!
I had an idea that it didn't sell because it was another bike with a fundamental reliability flaw, but again, can't find anything definitive, and don't now think that was the case, although it did suffer oil leaks from the rocker cover and the starter motor was weak apparently.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Not seen a standard one of these in a while:-

https://suprememotos.com/uploads/postfotos/honda-cx650t-turbo-rare-classic-motorcycle-vintage-excellent-cx650-t-1.JPG

Not your actual "plastic maggot", more of a "maggotty super barge".
You couldn't move without falling over one of the normally aspirated 500's, at one time.
Have the turbo's been discovered by the beardy blokes in the checked shirts yet, or are they too complicated for them?

A good mate of mine has taken the engine from one and installed it in his JZR three wheeler. Looks like this:

https://www.2040-motos.com/_content/cars/images/25/399625/004.jpg

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 11:42 - 28 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is my memory playing tricks, or did the police try out the CX650 Turbos at one point?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it just has that kind of look about it. Can't think why they would tbh. Faster bikes around if they wanted a pursuit vehicle, and expensive to buy.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an idea that it didn't sell because it was another bike with a fundamental reliability flaw, but again, can't find anything definitive, and don't now think that was the case, although it did suffer oil leaks from the rocker cover and the starter motor was weak apparently.

I think that there were so many exciting and desirable bikes around that time of all sizes, anything that was a bit off the pace just didn't sell, even if it was an inherently good bike.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever seen a Yamaha GTS1000 out there in the wild?
I've never seen a Yamaha XZV550 and not seen a Kawasaki Eliminator 600 for 20years but I'm trying to cope with it!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

The starter thing was pretty fundamental, the clutch used to pack up and it happened with alarming regularity, that coupled with the fact that Honda decided to engineer out a kick start and the FT very quickly got a reputation for being trouble.

I believe there's a fix for it now, but then it was enough of an issue that it killed sales.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Is that the weird 80's looking thing with a swingarm front end and hub centre steering?

There is one runs around here, I've seen it up at the Ponderosa a couple of times.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

The starter thing was pretty fundamental, the clutch used to pack up and it happened with alarming regularity, that coupled with the fact that Honda decided to engineer out a kick start and the FT very quickly got a reputation for being trouble.

I believe there's a fix for it now, but then it was enough of an issue that it killed sales.

Which begs the question, why were you trying to buy one? Laughing
Ok, there's a fix (for what? clutch? starter motor? both?), but are the parts still available? Chances are they've all been sorted? (Thinking) Or is it just a collector's kind of deal you're into them for?

I read that the rocker cover doesn't use a gasket, and you can't fit one due to clearance issues or something - peculiar. Apparently something like Yamabond will seal it for a while...

Supposed to be quite fun to ride though Smile

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:19 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Honda VT500E.

Apart from shite inboard discs, it was a solid bike. I suspect the motors are used in projects a lot contributes to it's scarcity now.

Crap inboard discs were the reason I didn't buy a VF400 a couple of weeks back. I forgot just how bad they were.

My wife had a mid '80s VT250F some twenty years ago, was definitely getting on a bit when she picked it up cheap. Went 250 as she was on stepped license at time and was limited to 33 bhp (I think?) for 2 years. Was a Jap grey import, km clocks and all that. Yep enclosed discs were right pain, but did have a hydraulic clutch too. She liked it, garage always moaned at labour time to service and charged accordingly. But was a reliable commuter for the few years she had it. Not seen any since TBF.

https://i.wheelsage.org/image/format/picture/picture-thumb-medium/h/honda/vt250f/honda_vt250f_5.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to pick mine.... 🤦‍♂️

Inb4 "there's a reason you don't see many of them" 🤣

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:32 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Yeah, there's a guy at work turns up on his regularly. Mind you, there's a guy who commutes on a 916 as well as another exup thou that regularly turns up on site.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Domi_old.jpg

They had one of these and a Transalp come in on the same day for the shop floor in the bike shop I did a Saturday
job in back when I was 17. The striking red paintjob totally did it for me, even if the Transalp is arguably a slightly
better bike. I just loved the attitude of the Dominator. Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4