Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any Europeans driving their motorcycle in London ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Didish
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:38 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Any Europeans driving their motorcycle in London ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a Belgian native but have been living for 4 years in London. Having a new job a bit outside the city, it would be ideal to commute with my motorcycle which is licensed and insured in Belgium.

I know that I'm not supposed to have a Motorcycle with a non-uk license plate in the UK for more than 6 months.

But does the police actually check it ?

Anyone had experience doing that ? Or had a bad experience doing that?

I wish I could buy a motorcycle in the UK but the insurance price are just insane .. and makes it impossible to afford.

PS: I'm aware of the theft problems in the city. My bike will be in a safe garage at night and equipped with a tracker.

Looking forward your answers. Very Happy

JD

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they check. Yes they will take your bike off you until you pay the import duty and/or get UK insurance. My neighbour had his car confiscated.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can afford to rent house inside M25 with garage. Thumbs Up
Can afford to have tracker subscription. Thumbs Up
Can afford to import motorcycle. Thumbs Up
Can't afford insurance for it.... How convenient. Thinking

I hope it gets stolen while you're at work. I have to pay insurance, and be accountable for things like riding in bus
lanes, parking and congestion charging by way of having a traceable number plate. Why shouldn't you? Are Belgians
somehow exempt from the rules? What you are planning to do is daily theft by avoiding charges, and riding illegally on
the roads by way of having no insurance or tax. What happens pray tell when you are involved in a collision?
Always tekkin the piss these foreigners. I know a Polish bloke who goes home every 6 months to get a "fresh"
car so he can avoid things little like the rules and charges for things like insurances and stuff. He drives like a complete
arse literally because he can get away with it. My company took his works van away for doing 104 on the M25. He will flog
a car til it's dead then go home and swap four potatoes and a copy of the Radio Times for another rolling MOT failure
to bring back with him onto our roads. He just scraps the old ones. I expect he represents the thinnest end of the wedge.

Didish
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:13 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Pete. Thank you for your reply
@grr666. What are you talking about ? I'm not trying to rob the system.

I don't know about your Polish "friend" by my Belgian plate is as traceable as yours and I'm not trying to escape any taxes. I'm as accountable as you are on the road. My fines, congestion and parking charges goes through my Belgian address (parents). If I have an unfortunate accident, I'll be as accountable and covered as you are.

I do not intend to import my vehicle in the UK, I would like to buy a motorcycle in the UK.

But paying 2500£ per year just for the insurance for a motorcycle valued 5000£ I found it a bit excessive from my point of view. Especially since it's for a private company.

So I'm trying to know how exposed I'm if I take the risk of driving my beloved Triumph for a longer period of time. That's it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didish wrote:
@grr666. What are you talking about ? I'm not trying to rob the system.

I don't know about your Polish "friend" by my Belgian plate is as traceable as yours and I'm not trying to escape any taxes. I'm as accountable as you are on the road. My fines, congestion and parking charges goes through my Belgian address (parents). If I have an unfortunate accident, I'll be as accountable and covered as you are.

I do not intend to import my vehicle in the UK, I would like to buy a motorcycle in the UK.

But paying 2500£ per year just for the insurance for a motorcycle valued 5000£ I found it a bit excessive from my point of view. Especially since it's for a private company.

So I'm trying to know how exposed I'm if I take the risk of driving my beloved Triumph for a longer period of time. That's it.

I must have misunderstood when you said....
Quote:
I wish I could buy a motorcycle in the UK but the insurance price are just insane .. and makes it impossible to afford.

and this

Quote:
I'm not trying to escape any taxes.

Road tax? You only have to tax UK registered vehicles. Congestion tax, oops I mean "charge", Khans Pollution Tax,
oops I mean "ULEZ Charge". All taxes by a different name and all relying on you having a UK registered vehicle.

Also, why are you so keen to know if the Police check these things then? You're just swinging the lead to see
what you can get away with. Truth be told the authorities don't really follow up on tracing foreign drivers abusing
our road system. There's so many it would cost millions chasing them. How much money can you spend tracing an
£80 quid bus lane ticket to its rightful recipient before it's entirely pointless collecting the fine because you've
spent more than its value in chasing up the offender. The Dartford crossing is crossed by 1000's of foreign lorries
who have zero intention of paying the toll the rest of us have to pay and are pursued for by virtue of running a UK
registered vehicle and ANPR. I wish I could tell you you'd be picked up by the Police the very second you ran an
uninsured (in the UK and that's what counts here) and untaxed because it's not registered in the UK vehicle.
But being brutally honest, chances are they would take one look at your Belgian plate and decide you weren't worth
the paperwork or dealing with someone who can suddenly "No speakee" when faced with authority. Coppers are
only interested in safe, guaranteed nicks. They don't want the headache of dealing with another foreigner
reluctant to pay their proper dues. Not worth the hassle, and alleged racism is a career killer for the old bill so they
just avoid foreigners until they have no option.

syme
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:29 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didish wrote:
If I have an unfortunate accident, I'll be as accountable and covered as you are.

Doubt it, given you'll have misled your insurance company as to where the bike is kept and ridden.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didish wrote:
I'm as accountable as you are on the road. My fines, congestion and parking charges goes through my Belgian address (parents). If I have an unfortunate accident, I'll be as accountable and covered as you are.

Are you sure on that?

As UK ins will only cover you for a certain number of days outside the UK.

I would imagine that your insurance could well be the same. Unless you are paying extra for extended EU cover.
So you may only have basic 3rd party cover. As well as insurance company who will not be happy if they find out your bike is not kept at your Belgian address, but is kept in the UK.
So could well pay out, but then chase you for the money they have paid out for your failure to declare truthfully all the details.

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Any Europeans driving their motorcycle in London ? Reply with quote

Didish wrote:
Hi,

I'm a Belgian native but have been living for 4 years in London. Having a new job a bit outside the city, it would be ideal to commute with my motorcycle which is licensed and insured in Belgium.

I know that I'm not supposed to have a Motorcycle with a non-uk license plate in the UK for more than 6 months.

But does the police actually check it ?

Anyone had experience doing that ? Or had a bad experience doing that?

PS: I'm aware of the theft problems in the city. My bike will be in a safe garage at night and equipped with a tracker.

Looking forward your answers. Very Happy

JD

What would happen if you get involved in an accident and you are considered to be uninsured?

Wouldn't you get a police record here in UK and therefore probably recorded in some form in Belgium also?

Fully appreciate that insurance is hideously expensive but then thats the case for everyone. You're putting yourself at risk in my view.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

humbucker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:00 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Spanish insurance only covers my bike for no more than 30 days in any other country and reading the small print, not Comprehensive, that costs extra. I am fairly sure, speaking to other bikers here that the same applies to their policies from the rest of Europe. If you are resident in the UK then I am betting your policy doesn't cover you at all as you are not visiting.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

humbucker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:00 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is Belgium and has a Belgian policy. He is living in London, what is your point?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is quoting Herr Khan. Laughing

humbucker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:30 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

humbucker wrote:
Who?

https://i.imgur.com/2usAHQB.png

This 5th columnist.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:35 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

humbucker, where do your insurance company think that you live and where the vehicle is kept?

humbucker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:06 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vehicle is in Spain, where I live. It is a Spanish registered vehicle, insured with a Spanish company. I pay an extra premium to keep my comprehensive cover when I travel to other countries. However, I cannot and would not, use this cover if I took up residence in the UK or any other country.

To clarify, the OP is using a Belgian policy and lives in the UK. I don't think this is legal, maybe I am mistaken and he has informed his company but aside from the insurance, isn't there a time limit that you can keep foreign registered vehicles in the UK?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

humbucker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:33 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he did and yes there are few non European Belgians, point taken.

I commented on the rest of his post and what it could mean for him, I wasn't interested in his contextual use of the word European.

Doesn't seem that there is much more I can say in this topic.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm.... when we leave the French get to blow up the Eurotunnel, didn'tchaknow?!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Mmmm.... when we leave the French get to blow up the Eurotunnel, didn'tchaknow?!

Why not us? Crying or Very sad

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:27 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:

Why not us? Crying or Very sad

A lot of people think that !

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has. I would have thought it would be ideal fodder for snacks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:04 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly a few years back - upwards of 8, but a colleague of mine ran a Polish registered and plated Smart for over two years with absolutely no consequence. This was way outside any congestion zones or whatever though, and never got pulled over.

If you get stopped riding a bike you 'forgot' to import, better hope you've got some bus fare to get home.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:18 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has. I would have thought it would be ideal fodder for snacks.

And relieve themselves of a way over. Not likely.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1