Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can’t undo rear sprocket carrier bolts - YBR 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Can’t undo rear sprocket carrier bolts - YBR 125 Reply with quote

Bank holiday weekend, so thought I’d service the bike and give it new chain and sprockets.

However, I cannot get a decent purchase in the rear sprocket bolts to undo them as they have a very shallow head.

Anyone have any tips on getting them shifted?

I suspect I will need to buy a 6pt flat faced socket as my 17mm is 12pt and just slips.

17mm spanner can’t get past the safety tabs.

Have soaked them in penetrating oil so will try again tomorrow.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will likely have thread lock compound on them too.
That should not make slackening them any more difficult but it prevents them running out freely.
Shallow head fasteners like 6 point tools.

Better to use the correct tools than round the heads off and create more problem.

Either use new hardware to secure the new sprocket or use thread lock.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I suspect I will need to buy a 6pt flat faced socket as my 17mm is 12pt and just slips. "

I did a chain sprocket and bearing change on a guys YBR recently
and my 6 point sockets gave no trouble at all
In fact I rarely use 12 points nowadays,

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:15 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had exactly the same issue when I was sorting out the one that I was doing last year. After much battering with hammer and giving up on impact driver the only solution was spending about an hour attacking a breaker bar with a hammer.

And calling the fuckwit who did it up a cunt.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on a Minute
17mm?
I recall the spindle needing a 17 and a 19mm but
fairly sure the four sprocket bolts were 12 or 14mm
and don't recall them having particularly shallow heads either
This was a 2011 EFI model

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Can’t undo rear sprocket carrier bolts - YBR 125 Reply with quote

slowside wrote:
However, I cannot get a decent purchase in the rear sprocket bolts to undo them as they have a very shallow head

I've got a couple of ring spanners which I ground down a little, reducing the depth of the rings, but getting a flat face with no "lead in", which has occasionally been useful.

You could do try that; if you haven't got anything else (like a grinder/belt sander/whetstone/WHY) use wet'n'dry, used wet, on a hard flat surface like the bottom of a kitchen sink, rubbing the ring of the spanner on it. Hold one side of the wet'n'dry down and push the spanner away from there to prevent it wrinkling & creasing.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:58 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just realised that he/she hasn't hammered down the lockwashers....

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:01 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two problems; 1; turning the bolts in the wheel-hub; 2; stopping the wheel; turn whilst you do so!
If the wheel is out of the bike, then stopping it turning whilst tackling bolts can be a bit of a contortion; often easiest to put the wheel back on, lock the wheel from turning with the brake adjuster... yes, it is a pitya to keep undouing the adjuster to turn the wheel 60 deg or so to tackle the next one round... but that little bit of faff usually a lot less than trying to hold loose parts still whilst wielding tools.
That's the first thing; Second thing here is ... ahrg! SOCKETS! YTF are you grumbling about 12-point sockets and the supply of 6pointr sockets or in fact ANY kind of socket! What is wrong with a simple, plain ordinary SPANNER FFS!!!
An open ended C-spanner grips flats not corners, and if you have ground the corners off with a 12-point by now, what the feck you got left to grip with a 6-point? Oh yes the FLATS a spanner grips! Spanner will also put the torque on the head of the bolt at the bolt head, not the length of a socket plus the ratchet away from the head, so you are twisting on two planes cock to each other helping chew bolt head corners.... There's a LOT to be said for the plain simple, humble spanner, and oh-so many instances is the 'best' tool for the job.... and should be the first tool reached for... NOT a stuffing socket set!

Tab washers? You mention... err... they should have been hammered flat and out the way before you start trying to twist bolts, and shouldn't be in the way.... so why are they? This is what an engineers chissel is good for, failing that, an old butter knife will usually 'do'... no.. not a flat bladed screwdriver.... HEATHEN notion, brutalising screwdrivers as chissels or pry-bars!!! Well... if you have a pre-buggered one, I suppose.... but still....

Leverage? Yeah... a stubborn faster is a bit hard to turn I suppose, BUT, still no reason to reach for the socket set and breaker bar, as first course..... the off-set mentioned, PLUS the gross force you can get with the mechanical magnification of a long lever, IS as likely to see the torque at the faster head sufficient that you DONT make the chuffing thing turn... you just get all exited as it 'feels' like its turning... when in fact its actually 'shearing'... and you are left with a sheared steel shank of bolt, in a usually aluminium hole, to deal with... without anything to get a spanner or socket of however many points to grip on... sprocket or whatever will shoulf lift off the shank, so you can tackle in your own time... b-u-t, there's no beating Murphey, I find... and he will make sure that ONE bludy fastener stays put, or there's an index peg in there or 'something' to make him laugh! BUT, sockets with the off-set, cupping the bolt head so you cant actually 'see' what you are doing, IS a very good way to give Murphey his dues here, and make problems rather than solve them....

Try a spanner... try more gentle persuasion, and dont rush... 'some-one' and probably a deminutative Chbinese woman in tyhe case of a YBR, put this together, YOU should then be able to take it apart. NO fancy tools or mega forces required... just a bit of common cocum and patience....

PUT the socket set away, fort now, and try a simple spanner.... amazing how much they will do, and how many problems they dont even encounter, IME!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
an engineers chissel

Ar, be that the same as a cold chisel?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I've just realised that he/she hasn't hammered down the lockwashers....

I have re-read the OP. Surely not. No. *Really*? ARGH! I hope he sticks around and can repeat the tale in future instead of flouncing, if so....

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a flurry of responses, thanks all.

Before anyone suffers a hemorrhage, lockwashers are flat (or as flat as I can get them) but present enough of a lip at the edge to make the spanner slip off the shallow bolt head. (@WD Forte - yes definitely 17mm, mine is a 2006 carb model so perhaps they moved to different fixings later down the line?)

I will heed the point that I should give them a more thorough flattening tomorrow to see if that gives a bit more purchase for a spanner to hold on to.

@Tef - bolt heads are still in fine shape, I ditched the socket as soon as it became apparent it might cause more trouble that it solved. Good tip on locking the wheel up with the rear brake adjuster, hadn't thought of that one.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done, managed to get them off this morning. Went with Tef’s suggestion, got the spanner on them again and just kept on putting pressure on and off rather than one big heave so it was easier to keep the spanner seated. Took a while for any movement to show, but eventually after minutes of torque-tweeking each bolt they eventually started to move.

Cheers all!

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More leverage is what you need, extend the spanner with metal tubing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:25 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future info, the easiest way to get lock washers flat is to put the correct size socket on and hammer that..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1