Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pretty much confirmed that compare the market is bent.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Pretty much confirmed that compare the market is bent. Reply with quote

Four quotes, all came in around £320.

a) Me as main driver, wife inc, I have one fault-claim.

b) Wife as main driver, me inc (with the claim).

c) Wife on her own.

d) a above but with my claim removed.

For a 1ltr 2010 Suzuki Alto, value of £2500, fully comp.

Won't be using compare the market.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:39 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change your DoB by one day on each quote because apparently it's a primary key in their database. Then use the real one for the final quote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote manipulation is one way of getting insurance refused/revoked so best of luck with insurance costs when you have that against your name.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Pretty much confirmed that compare the market is bent. Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Four quotes, all came in around £320.

a) Me as main driver, wife inc, I have one fault-claim.

b) Wife as main driver, me inc (with the claim).

c) Wife on her own.

d) a above but with my claim removed.

For a 1ltr 2010 Suzuki Alto, value of £2500, fully comp.

Won't be using compare the market.

Sergei says net to compare the meerkat.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something dodgy going on in the world of insurance, you say? Folded arms I refuse to believe it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other industry would be accused of price fixing. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my insurance industry whinge.

I've been with Admiral Multicar then changed to Direct line multicar.

My wife had 15y NCB and I had 12. Because the way the multicar works it's all in my name with her as named driver on all cars. Her being marked as primary driver on her car.

However because all the policies are in my name, while I can drive other peoples cars she can't (and she isn't happy about it).

So I phoned Direct line and they said the only way round it was her to have her own policy so I asked how much that would cost.

£432 as she has no NCB. What says I, she has NCB as that's what was used when we took out multicar. Ah yes Sir but that has now been transferred to you for the multicar discount. Doh!

OK, transfer it back to her. No Sir, we can't do that it is your NCD not hers. But it was hers. Yes Sir, but it was transferred to you for the multicar. Rinse and repeat. Brick Wall

So now I have to tell wifie her NCD is gone and she can't drive any other cars except ours.

I think I'll text it while I'm off on the boat somewhere where she can't get to me.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When multicar insurance policies started being pushed, I mistrusted them immediately and so had a look into it. I saw that loss of NCD but for me the biggest worry was if one person has a bump, does it affect everyone on the policy??
Insurance companies glam up those multicar thingies but in reality there's only one reason why they'd push something onto people and it's because they win and the customer loses.

I've been on a fleet policy for many many years and have no NCD. Middle of next year I'm coming off the fleet thing and will be dry raped for those first few policies when I get my own vehicle..

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Quote manipulation is one way of getting insurance refused/revoked so best of luck with insurance costs when you have that against your name.

It's not "manipulation" when the reason for doing it is to expose them for the fraudulent cunts they are.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurers won't outright refuse to provide cover (bad for business) but perhaps they'll quote a prohibitive premium. Could it be that they have their quota for this month or just don't need your business for whatever reason?

Also, on-line quotation sites are pretty simplistic and there's usually a proviso that if you've made a claim or have convictions they'll need to assess in person/on the phone, in which case the online quote is meaningless.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had plenty of insurance companies refuse to quote for cover, but usually only after 20 minutes of wasted time on the phone. They also have no clue about what your telling them or what it means. So if you say you have Vernier adjustable cam belt pulleys, or an intelligent boost controller they don't know what that means, only that its not a recognised item and therefore they can't cover you.

Maybe I've been doing it all wrong through? Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:53 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsflash.

Insurance companies are rip-off merchants.

In other news.

Water is wet.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:58 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
So if you say you have Vernier adjustable cam belt pulleys, or an intelligent boost controller they don't know what that means, only that its not a recognised item and therefore they can't cover you.

Maybe I've been doing it all wrong through? Laughing

Yes. You tell them the engine is tuned. Catch all term and nicely vague. It could cover anything from a ported head to a fuck-off supercharger. Once it's down there on the certificate, you can continue tuning it to your hearts content until 'till it explodes.

Quote:

You contacted us recently to discuss the modifications on your ENFIELD BULLET
500. For your peace of mind, we are happy to confirm our records include all the
modifications listed below. Please let us know if our list does not match the
modifications on your vehicle.

Engine Tuned
Non Standard Paint Work
Custom Seat
Custom Tank
Uprated Brakes
Exhaust System Changes - Cosmetic And Performance
Electronic Ignition
Custom Handle Bars
Custom Lights/Indicators
Custom Mirrors
Mudguards / Huggers
Tail Tidy
Air Filter
Braided Brake Hoses
Carburettor Changed
Custom Forks
Frame Modified

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an "oh shit" moment and checked my own insurance. Apparently they're not interested in lighting and mirror changes as long as they're roadworthy (I assume that means would pass an MoT.)

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Why would it be 'quote manipulation' to obtain any number of different quotes with any number of different permutations of data entered (including complete lies, if you want), providing the info you provide on the actual policy you obtain is all completely correct?

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the key point - the accepting of a policy. If you have obtained numerous quotes with varying differences then you are shining a spotlight on yourself and if you have accepted a policy without 3 endorsement points, for example, then you face having your policy voided as you will have no defence of "I forgot about them" when you had a quote with them added half hour earlier.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Insurers won't outright refuse to provide cover (bad for business) but perhaps they'll quote a prohibitive premium. Could it be that they have their quota for this month or just don't need your business for whatever reason?

Also, on-line quotation sites are pretty simplistic and there's usually a proviso that if you've made a claim or have convictions they'll need to assess in person/on the phone, in which case the online quote is meaningless.

They will and can outright refuse to provide cover.
There is no obligation.

There is some rule that a driver who was prosecuted must be offered cover when the law permits the driver to drive again (i.e. after a ban)
But there is no rule as to how much the premium is.
The insurer bases the premium on risk so if a convicted drunk driver is a risk then premium will be loaded to suit.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find infuriating (although it is obviously common) is when an insurer sends a renewal quote for a figure much higher than they offer when you go to a comparison website. In my case, my car renewal came through recently and the premium offered in my renewal invitation was 50% higher than that available from the same insurer via moneysupermarket. This happens every year as the same insurer ends up being cheapest for me, and every year they reduce it when I point out the difference, I just pity the poor folk who don't bother to check to see if it's cheaper. That said, it could be argued that those folk effectively are subsidising my lower premiums as presumably if everyone was on the ball with this they'd raise the premiums on average to retain the same profit . . .

Insurance . . . don't yer just love it Rolling Eyes

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This why the biggest scam in the insurance racket is automatic renewal.
Instead of farting about with breakshit or climbing over each other to become the next PM our politicians need to outlaw this shoddy Barrow-town practice.
Or force insurers/brokers to include a 'do not auto renew' tick box on applications.
I don't understand why these cunts get away with it.
Requiring written request to not auto renew is an unfair and unnecessary burden.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I just pity the poor folk who don't bother to check to see if it's cheaper.

Stupidity tax

We play the same game with them every year Sad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of insurance, anyone know if arry is OK? Can't remember seeing him post for a while now

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis a pretty much dead forum now dontcha know.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Tis a pretty much dead forum now dontcha know.

Haw you. Watch yer lip.

It's a reclined phase. Cool

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of quiet/lost/dissapered members, what happened to Alex A and Albigarus? They were always my Fireblade heroes. Laughing

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
This why the biggest scam in the insurance racket is automatic renewal.

Lets face it. its clear enough on the renewal notice that if you do not do anything they will take the quoted amount.
If they can't read or understand a simple statement. Just how many more cars etc would be on the roads uninsured.... Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Can't remember the last policy that did auto renew in the last 8 years.

But on the point of people that don't shop around.
I use Aviva. Renewal quote was less that any of the compare sites. But then again they advertise this fact.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2