Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Who won EU elections Leave or Remain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Who won EU elections Leave or Remain? Reply with quote

Carole Cadwalladr:

Quote:
The idea that the Brexit Party is a ‘new’ party is a total fiction. It’s just the latest host body for Farage - the tapeworm of British politics.

Farage has got +5 seats in addition to 2014 24 UKIP seats which he already has. UKIP got zero.

Farage huge win is just a hot air. The number of seats and votes prove it:

2014: 4,376,635 27.49%
2019: 5,248,533 31.6%

Remain parties 2019: 40%

https://i.imgur.com/BskDrk1.jpg

Leave BRX+UKIP: 5,802,996
Remain parties: 6,149,145
Fence LabCon: 3,859,402

The same as reported by BBC:

BBC 2016: 52/48 for Farage is overwhelming win!
BBC 2019: 40/31 for Remain is clear winner for the 31% Brexit party?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And according to Vals maths, Lewis Hamilton came last in the Monaco Grand Prix.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:49 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
blah blah blah blah blah

Fuck off, haven't you already got enough Brexit threads?

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On results night, Caroline Lucas was saying how the climate change issue had attracted a lot of voters to the Green party.

So I'm afraid you can't use 100% of Greens in your calculation.

Also the Tories were campaigning as a Leave party so as above.

Labour is split so as above.

Not all SNP voters are Remain voters, so as above.

etc etc

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

True fact - Val actually makes me racist.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:26 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A measure of success which hasn't been adequately discussed is importance of the newly elected MEPs in the next EP.

In this respect ALDE is a clear winner, as they have become a 3rd largest MEP group and it will be very difficult to form any working coalition without them. Here it's good news for LD voters, as their MEPs can be expected to actually do something constructive.

Labour's beating contributed to the overall loss of S&D, but they can still be expected to work with EPP & ALDE sometimes.

Tories were nobodies already in the 8th EP's ECR, so nothing new here.

Lastly, EFA becomes EP's 4th force, so Greens can mean something as well.

EFDD, on the other hand, has negligible chances of doing anything but publishing hundreds of "BREXITEER DESTROYS!!!!!!!!11111111 USSREU BUREUCRATS IN 2 SECONDS" Youtube videos, because by their very nature they won't work with anyone.
Also, considering Farage limited company's manifesto (hard Brexit), they are probably clueless as to what MEPs competences actually are, precluding them from doing any work.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste is right, too many threads. And yes you are also right, this is a moderate increase as the Brexit non party is UKIP 2.0. I actually expected far more but I guess they are just disproportionately loud.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7jybyvW4AE8JvS.jpg
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7jybyvW4AE8JvS.jpg

Sadiq Khan will be pleased. London triumphs again.

In another headline, he will also tax non London football fans a pollution tax for breathing within the ULEZ.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
[Nonsense. Can we bring some fact into this remain dressed cobblers?.

Yes, you do speak a lot of that. I understand your comprehension is blinded by your biases but it gets boring explaining a simple descriptive point to actual cracked tin pot theorists.

To analyse this through the lens of the issue of Brexit it is really easy to split.

Hard leave.
Hard remain.
Soft Brexit.

Lab/Con = soft which is not Brexit and is not Remain. The parties after that are split down a binary choice predominantly on this issue.
Representative vote share gives you the figures and this disregards the people who got fucked out of the vote, never mind the fact that the turnout was still shite.

I mean I am actually genuinely surprised, I thought your side would get far more with the money and organisation being poured behind Farage. I guess your side just shrieks really really loudly.

I know this triggers you sweety but don't worry, you can have your echo chamber back soon.

And it looks like we may get a final say anyway (inference) so you may get to play this for real again, should keep you spun out nicely for a bit longer yet, enjoy your rage.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any fule can play with statistics, but the truth of the matter is that despite some describing this a second referendum, it doesn't indicate how the electorate would vote if we actually had one...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
In this respect ALDE is a clear winner,

And so we're back to the EU bogeyman, Guy Verhostadt, ALDE's leader and a rabid federalist. A good reason to want to leave then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Sload wrote:
Waffle, skirting around the fact that TBP pissed it by some margin, getting 11% more of the vote than their nearest rival

What is it with the denial in you lot - Can't your egos cope with losing?

Rolling Eyes

Remind me how much more of the vote UKIP got last GE, compared to the greens and SNP, and how many seats they won?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Val wrote:
blah blah blah blah blah

Fuck off, haven't you already got enough Brexit threads?

Ste for PM mod!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've ignored the issue of turnout. UK turnout for the EU elections was 37%, which is typical of previous EU elections. The referendum turnout was 72%. Many Leavers are now disillusioned with politics yet Farage won even without them. Imagine if they were convinced to vote next time.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:20 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Remind me how much more of the vote UKIP got last GE, compared to the greens and SNP, and how many seats they won?

There is already evidence that Farage's limited company may fare much worse in GE.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2019-to-next-election.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:49 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm. The figures stated by the OP only hold true if you discount Labour and Conservative as "undecided"

However both the conservative and labour parties are pro-brexit. Their official position is that they will exit the European Union. Both parties voted for article 50. They just can't decide how they want to go about it.

So 58.1% of the seats went to pro-brexit parties.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:47 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no winners in EU elections, only loosers.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Umm. The figures stated by the OP only hold true if you discount Labour and Conservative as "undecided"

Already addressed. As Farage, his supporters and several people on this forum keep bleating, A deal exit is not Brexit which, and as Labour offer only a modified version of the same, they cancel it out as either a third option or undecided. This is Farage's very reasoning and justification to his base and fills his rhetoric which his supporters then parrot.

They cannot have it both ways no matter what illogical frame people keep trying to twist onto it.

And I'm done on this circlejirk thread. Far more interesting things to watch going forward so enjoy your stay if this sideshow is important to you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3