"Which bike?" Thread - Cruiser Edition

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
obvious you gon do what you gon do, despite the advice from any member on here but imo getting a cruiser because you're 'short' isn't an excuse. There are much much better bikes for similar money that wont be as compromised. just my 2p though

I'd say the advice so far has been surprisingly positive as BCF threads go!

At the moment I have absolutely zero interest in speed and how far over I can lean a bike. Although I admit that is open to change once I've had spin on a MT07. If I were only commuting I might manage to limp along with a 125 but given I regularly zip up and down the A3 and do jobs in the city something more is required.

Now browsing Triumph/Enfield/Husqvarna... definitely not browsing Ducatis Razz

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph: I admit a slight pant tightening experience glancing over the Rocket but for the rest we're talking over 10 bags which is a bit too much.

Enfield: thanx! I missed the Interceptor amongst the rest of the "Eastborne Specials." I'll think I'll place that in the box with the Moto Guzzi.

Husqvarna: eeeeewwwww! someone's been messing with the design department's cocaine supply Sad I thought Harley were starting to stretch things a bit but no, I don't want a bike that make me vomit every time I glance at it.

Ducati XDiavel S: the Rocket has round headlights. I rest my case.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:45 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to throw a spanner at you, if you like the mt07 have you considered the mt03? ( there's a 660 mt03 and a 320 version just to confuse you)

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
just to throw a spanner at you, if you like the mt07 have you considered the mt03? ( there's a 660 mt03 and a 320 version just to confuse you)

The Pre '14 MT03 is the 660cc single. The exhausts may look like a twin, but it's not, it's 1 pipe per valve. It's also a hoot to ride for a small, light bike, I may well end up with one at some point.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:44 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why buy new? I bought my (then) sub 2k miles 2016 Iron 883 14 months ago for £5,600 and that was with Vance and Hines short shots, Fuel Pak and heavy breather fitted by PO.

sulphur
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:59 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
Why buy new? I bought my (then) sub 2k miles 2016 Iron 883 14 months ago for £5,600 and that was with Vance and Hines short shots, Fuel Pak and heavy breather fitted by PO.

Pics?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:26 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ULEZ only requires EURO3, so that's 2007 or 2008.

It means a 2012-2014 example of the Guzzi V7 or Harley 883 should be in the 3-5k range.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Husqvarna: eeeeewwwww! someone's been messing with the design department's cocaine supply Sad I thought Harley were starting to stretch things a bit but no, I don't want a bike that make me vomit every time I glance at it.

Still a thousand times prettier than any of those shit show faggotry cruisers you posted above, oh wait, that’s just an opinion, as people have different tastes. Laughing

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki Violator

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
ULEZ only requires EURO3, so that's 2007 or 2008.

It means a 2012-2014 example of the Guzzi V7 or Harley 883 should be in the 3-5k range.

Euro 3?! Nice! So scrap that list of new or near new bikes, the world is now my shellfish Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:

I'll most likely be riding a MT07 for the Mod1/2 tests. Got a pre-training assessment on Monday so first taste of a big boy bike!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a sneaky feeling that once you've tried other styles of bike your mind will change..

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one else has said it, so i will.

Fireblade.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:57 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP says: "not that interested in speed and knee scraping leans"

Forum replies: "Fireblade!"

okay...

I dunno, I could probably ride anything given enough time and training (although my frail form would look a bit weird on a Goldwing!) but I just like the look of cruisers and traditional stuff. All angles and fairings really doesn't do anything for me, sorry!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki Penetrator

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Suzuki Penetrator

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more guv'nor!

I take it you mean Intruder but granted that barely sounds any better Rolling Eyes

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Intruder is okay, it has a reasonable engine size, is it a 750?
but is it too old for ULEZ

I wouldnt go for a Harley on the first bike after getting your big licence. Its too different of a ride, way more torquey. I am only just starting to enjoy mine without it being literally an exhausting ride every time.

Plus the route you are talking about, in via the A3 and into the City ... nah, on a commute that fucker will heat up while you're trying to filter down West Hill, and you'll be burning your leg on the pipes by the time you're coming round Armoury Way Laughing my oil tank regularly gets so hot I'm seriously considering putting a sheepskin under there. But on longer rides, not stop-start at traffic lights at rush hour, its sweet as a nut and stays cool.

So if you're going to have a cruiser in town just after getting your licence, then stick with the Japs and do your time before thinking about a Harley. They're hard enough to handle of their own accord, without having to fuck about in traffic with a heavy torquey movement when you are still new(ish) to riding. London is too big and too full of twazzock foreign drivers to risk getting on one and making a small but potentially deadly mistake. Even with all the noise, I still feel more vulnerable on it than I ever did on my GPZ500.

I think the older cruisers are only just inside ULEZ rules, and every year more will drop out. Too many Viragos have been thrashed by overenthusiastic noobs wanting to look cruiserish, and services may not have been up-kept, although you can sometimes find a nice one that's been chopped and looks a bit more sexy than a standard cruiser.

Last edited by hellkat on 23:55 - 01 Jun 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty #Tef Shifty

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:26 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulphur wrote:
Johnnythefox wrote:

Pics?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:35 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Intruder, Marauder, Violator and Penetrator are too much bike for you
Ask Julian and Sandy at https://www.BonaBikes.co.uk about gettin yer lallys over the new Suzuki Shurtliphtre

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:10 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd go for a late model Honda shadow 750 if it was me. Build quality looks ok, and they are whisper quiet too. Im sure they are heavy as fuck for a 750 though, but that's a cruiser thing. The Kawasaki Vulcan 650 would be worth looking at too, as a modern less traditional cruiser though. Personally I don't look down on parallel twin engines over a V-twin like 90% of BCF does.

Have you thought about a naked retro bike just as another possible stylish alternative type of bike? The new CB1100 looks pretty traditional for example?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
The Intruder is okay, it has a reasonable engine size, is it a 750?
but is it too old for ULEZ

I wouldnt go for a Harley on the first bike after getting your big licence. Its too different of a ride, way more torquey. I am only just starting to enjoy mine without it being literally an exhausting ride every time.

Plus the route you are talking about, in via the A3 and into the City ... nah, on a commute that fucker will heat up while you're trying to filter down West Hill, and you'll be burning your leg on the pipes by the time you're coming round Armoury Way Laughing my oil tank regularly gets so hot I'm seriously considering putting a sheepskin under there. But on longer rides, not stop-start at traffic lights at rush hour, its sweet as a nut and stays cool.

So if you're going to have a cruiser in town just after getting your licence, then stick with the Japs and do your time before thinking about a Harley. They're hard enough to handle of their own accord, without having to fuck about in traffic with a heavy torquey movement when you are still new(ish) to riding. London is too big and too full of twazzock foreign drivers to risk getting on one and making a small but potentially deadly mistake. Even with all the noise, I still feel more vulnerable on it than I ever did on my GPZ500.

I think the older cruisers are only just inside ULEZ rules, and every year more will drop out. Too many Viragos have been thrashed by overenthusiastic noobs wanting to look cruiserish, and services may not have been up-kept, although you can sometimes find a nice one that's been chopped and looks a bit more sexy than a standard cruiser.

Thanx, Hellkat, solid points to consider.

If new (or near new) I'm seriously leaning towards the smaller Rebel over the Vulcan (although the latter probably offers more "meat" for the money.) I think I'd seriously miss the feeling of getting faster the closer you get to the centre of town (as the cars effectively become stationary obstacles.)

stevo as b4 wrote:
Have you thought about a naked retro bike just as another possible stylish alternative type of bike? The new CB1100 looks pretty traditional for example?

Well much as I love the look of cruisers sometimes you don't always get to have your cake and eat it - I do need something reasonable for work purposes and get the bills paid! So yes, once I've exhausted the cruiser possibilities that's the next class on my list.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
If the Intruder, Marauder, Violator and Penetrator are too much bike for you
Ask Julian and Sandy at https://www.BonaBikes.co.uk about gettin yer lallys over the new Suzuki Shurtliphtre

That link doesn't go anywhere Sad

What is it with Suzuki and their bike names? Some tie-in with Ann-Summers I don't know about?! Razz

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another look at the Interceptor: am I right in saying it now has a 3-year unlimited mileage warranty?

Also weighing up which one would be more of a thief magnet, Interceptor vs Cruiser (e.g. HD, Rebel or Vulcan)

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such thing as more or less of a theft magnet, it's just different target ordiences. A big valuable bike will be knicked and either sold abroad, or broken for spares.

An old wreak will get knicked for drug money, a free ride home, or just to spite you. That's if they don't decide to knick it while your parking up, and give you a nice big 8" stab wound for your trouble.

You either gotta lock em up and hope for the best and have a good insurance policy, or keep them out of sight all the time, and never leave it in public.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3