Gorgeous looks (subjective)
Good MPG
Shaft drive
Reliable
Can haul a lot of luggage with some cheap mods
Comfy for pillion
Sounds good with aftermarket pipes
Bulletproof engine
Fit and finish is pretty decent. Doesn't seem to rust very easily, chrome/paint polishes up nice
Fairly easy to maintain apart from valve jobs
Will beat most cars off the line, but compare to any sports bike 400cc or more its going to get creamed
Comfy as fuk for long distance riding with a screen and riders backrest. as well as floor boards
Resale value for basically any cruiser in the UK never seems to change, in fact its easy to make a profit. I could get £3500 easy for mine when I paid £2700 for it.
Easy to find a used garage queen, cruisers are rarely ragged around by bike lyf scumbags
Cheap insurance probably due to older demographic
Less of a theft target IMO. Park next to a Fazer, both bikes with the same security, and the typical tracksuit wearing mouthbreather's brain will target the Fazer first.
Cheap parts.

Cons:

Lacking power a bit
Needs a 6th gear, will happily cruise at 80 but its revving a lot at that speed, this is where a bigger Harley or Triumph would be in its element
No ABS
Drum rear brake
Pretty basic electronics. All you get is neutral, low fuel light, two trip meters and thats about it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say that I reckon OP would be better off with a Harley.

Your C800 isn't horrendous looking for its class of bike, and it isn't underpowered specifically. it is however pathetic for its power to weight ratio and it's specific output.

800cc, 52bhp, and 246kg dry or 271kg wet. That's fucking pathetic beyond words, and unless it had over 100in/ft which 800cc can never make, Then yeah I bet it feels really sluggish. I can't believe that it's a great used buy for being gently ridden and not abused, compared to the Fazer 600 you mentioned.

I can see the C800 rider having thrashed the bike far harder to make reasonable progress than the Yamaha which is a down tuned unburstable engine anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:33 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air cooled Harley . Nothing can come close. You'll have one in the end of you are into custom bikes, everyone does eventually so may as well start with one. The new sanitised 'cruisers' are only pretend. They are just ordinary bikes with low seats and easy to ride habits. Go for the 883 you can afford - don't worry, they are rarely thrashed and build quality is superb. Rattly and poorly sprung the Sportster leaps about with panache that other bikes can only dream of. You will be admired wherever you go. Trust me, the Sporty (low if you are shortish) is a legend and you my friend are only a simple test away from one. Don't buy a copy (the Street is rubbish too) If you ride one, it will be horrible and bite back but it will grow and grow on you until it becomes your all time best memory. That's what happened to me anyway! Still riding HD's after many years. That's the advice anyway.....but you could listen to a numpty and buy a new Japanese, PCP, smooth, wannabe. Doh!

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I can see the C800 rider having thrashed the bike far harder to make reasonable progress than the Yamaha which is a down tuned unburstable engine anyway.

That isnt how cruisers are ridden.
You don't need to thrash it up to 60, or 70/80 for sustained motorway riding. All the torque is instant so you never need to rev high, it will do 30mph in 5th...
You'd be ragging on it if you're trying to do 90 everywhere though, but like I said you really got the wrong bike if thats your intention. As far as performance goes, any other class of bike would beat it, but it will do 60 in about 5 seconds. Motorcycling isnt about riding fast everywhere for everyone.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like asking: what's more likely to have been thrashed? A Lambo or a Bentley.

I did all my speeding in Golfs, BMWs, etc. when I was younger (got to 11 pts before calming down!) Time to relax...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:24 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
it will do 30mph in 5th...

Most bikes will. I can go from 0-186 in 6th. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
It's like asking: what's more likely to have been thrashed? A Lambo or a Bentley.

I did all my speeding in Golfs, BMWs, etc. when I was younger (got to 11 pts before calming down!) Time to relax...

The fact is something like a Fazer is going to be more of a workhorse, daily rider in all weathers and is the type of bike a noob would get after just passing their test because it has a good 0-60 time and is cheap.

A high % of cruisers are owned by older gents who take them out on sunny days, at the weekend only. With excessive amounts of time polishing and modifying them.
Ive only put 1500 on mine this year so I sort of fall into that bracket, except I ride most days, doing the NC500 this year and not afraid of a little rain. In fact just got drenched riding back from a 190 mile round trip

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an example this is my 2005 C800:

https://imgur.com/Ay3KNd9

Few years ago I had a 1990 Virago 535 as my first big bike, and that think was in absolute mint condition, like a time capsule.

One other criticism I have for my bike is the tank range. You'll be on fumes after 180 miles of mixed speed riding.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:40 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a C800 at the same time as a Harley 883R. The Suzuki was a lovely bike but the HD had the edge. It was exciting! The Intruder was
classy. I don't wish I had the C800 back but have always regretted selling the Sportster. But buy a cruiser/custom if you are into that type of bike - the Jap sporty bikes are competent but no lookers and you will want to change soon - take it from me. Get what your heart wants first time round. You will save money - mistakes cost!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I was seriously considering the Vulcan but I dropped into my local Honda dealer today and got to sit on the Rebel...

Wow! It's the "toy bike" feeling I used to get going from the MT-07 for motorcycle training and back onto my Superlight. TBH it made me smile and I know it shouldn't Smile

Whereas the the Superlight has a wide fuel tank and looks a much, much bigger bike than it is the Honda "feels" if anything smaller. Yes, it's about 30kg heavier but it felt like the weight was even lower down if that's even possible. My feet were firmly planted on the ground; much better than the tippy toes of the MT-07.

Given 80% of my riding is commuting to the office and 20% is hacking up the A3 to the City the Rebel should be sufficient but in no way could you call it "intimidating" which is surely a key feature of a cruiser Thinking

So I go back to a faux-cruiser? TBH the Vulcan is the same: take a street bike, gear and tune for low-end torque, wave a magic wand over the frame geometry and call it a "modern cruiser." Pah! Pure sophistry Sad

Test ride tomorrow morning. If I find myself grinning as I barrel down the Tolworth Broadway it'll be hard to purchase to resist Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3