BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any tattooists here?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems more acceptable then it did a few years ago.

I see plenty of people walking in the office with big tattoos on display.

However they are not considered a protected characteristic so they could sack you or refuse to give a job in the first place etc because of them. Essentially they can discriminate against you because of them.

https://toughnickel.com/business/Can-You-Be-Fired-For-Having-A-Tattoo

Last edited by duhawkz on 21:50 - 30 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that is correlated to the new styles of tattoos also, as they don't tend to be as gaudy and in your face. My bosses are accepting (2/3 anyway), but I have been asked to cover up depending who is coming in.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:
On the subject of being accepted these days, a friend of mine is a midwife for the NHS. (she has 3D implants too) and she's a lovely person. Oh and magnets embedded into parts too.

3D implants? Are we talking breast enlargement here or something else?

And magnets? why? what do they do? Allow you to hang on to a moving vehicle?

really, can someone explain please?

Sure. For example she has a rose on the back of one hand (her tattoos are stunning and she travels the country to get work done by various artists). That rose was given a more 3D look by use of an implant. She literally had a slice cut into the back of her hand and a shape shoved in under the skin and positioned beneath the rose. The slice was then carefully stitched back up.
The swelling took ages to settle and not the back of her hand isn't like ours are. Hers has a shaped insert that raises parts of it by around 1 cm in places.
She actually had the insert shoved in without anesthetic. Often with her markings she sees them as 'life challenges' and takes them on as such. She did admit to feeling woozy when it was being done (almost fainting).
Yes it's literally shoved in like they do with breast implants.

The magnets are in some of her fingertips.
I dunno - she says they actually help you feel things in a different way. The magnets 'sense' you're close to metal things is what I take her as meaning!
I know - weird but magnet implants were a bit of a fashion thing a few years back for those who have lots of piercings and tattoos.
I couldn't have magnets in me because I'd be covered in iron filings all the time.

Edit: She also has a forked tongue. Yup - sliced in half one day.
She couldn't speak properly for months.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:23 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Sure. For example she has a rose on the back of one hand (her tattoos are stunning and she travels the country to get work done by various artists). That rose was given a more 3D look by use of an implant. She literally had a slice cut into the back of her hand and a shape shoved in under the skin and positioned beneath the rose. The slice was then carefully stitched back up.
The swelling took ages to settle and not the back of her hand isn't like ours are. Hers has a shaped insert that raises parts of it by around 1 cm in places.
She actually had the insert shoved in without anesthetic. Often with her markings she sees them as 'life challenges' and takes them on as such. She did admit to feeling woozy when it was being done (almost fainting).
Yes it's literally shoved in like they do with breast implants.

The magnets are in some of her fingertips.
I dunno - she says they actually help you feel things in a different way. The magnets 'sense' you're close to metal things is what I take her as meaning!
I know - weird but magnet implants were a bit of a fashion thing a few years back for those who have lots of piercings and tattoos.
I couldn't have magnets in me because I'd be covered in iron filings all the time.

Edit: She also has a forked tongue. Yup - sliced in half one day.
She couldn't speak properly for months.

Philipinos do a thang where they cut the skin or their knob and push glass bead under and stitch it up.
I found the glass from a broken headlamp on the welders bench on a rig I worked on.
The glass had been melted into small beads about 5-6mm dia.
I asked the welder what it was all about and it was explained.

In middle ages it was custom in SE Asia to have bells sewed into the knob. The louder the bell the more wealthy the owner was.
Probably where the term Bell End comes from. Maybe.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:19 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Philipinos do a thang where they cut the skin or their knob and push glass bead under and stitch it up.
I found the glass from a broken headlamp on the welders bench on a rig I worked on.

In middle ages it was custom in SE Asia to have bells sewed into the knob. The louder the bell the more wealthy the owner was.

Been living in the Philippines for 10 years... I never heard of this before. Maybe a tribal thing, believe me it is not a common thing. There are many strange people there as in any country who have body modifications.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:43 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit to not knowing about melting glass for insertion into organs like that. Perhaps the welder is just a pervert?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

However they are not considered a protected characteristic so they could sack you or refuse to give a job in the first place etc because of them. Essentially they can discriminate against you because of them.

Interesting. Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinaboy wrote:
MCN wrote:

Been living in the Philippines for 10 years... I never heard of this before. Maybe a tribal thing, believe me it is not a common thing. There are many strange people there as in any country who have body modifications.

Look up (nsfw alert!!!!) Pearling or Body Pearling, (nsfw!) Philippines are mentioned in a historical context on wiki anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating!
I'm also seeing scarring their bits too - look like pork scratchings.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flip boys call it Bellitos (Spelling).

I assume the word comes from the historical use of bells.
Little hollow spheres of gold/silver with a bead inside as a clapper on in their clapper.

They normally waited unto their stars were aligned before going in for the procedure.

The risk of infection is high and a serious concern.
The boys would wait until the Arab Medic went on leave and was replaced by a flip medic to stitch and medicate and the Gypo welder was replaced by a Flip welder to fabricate the beads.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You pair of handbag haka merchants, posturing at each other.
Stop it at once, I may die laughing and then you'd both have to come to my funeral.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

God, I go away for just one week Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

And this happens.
Really, Stinkers, you need to be more FIRM with these fellows.
Stwike him, Centuwion, very woughwy!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha,

I'd have said the artist in the OP was probably around about the right mark, assuming that the quality of their work is of a high standard.

I got my pants pulled down by a very reknowned artist, 2 year waiting list but got in on a cancellation, sent designs etc.

Long story short, that was £500 for the day, no mention of how many days it would take, so when we get to the end of day 1 (with them taking smoke breaks every 30 or so minutes) he says "ok I think we're done for the day, on the next session I'll add the hands in.

I was like .....next session?! Faark. But nowt I could do but suck it up.

Anyways, fast forward a few months to the next session and he just does a second layer to the stuff he'd already done - dont get me wrong, it looked fucking boss. But no way was I going back for the second part of it to be done in another 2 sessions. So that was £1000 and to complete it would have been the same.

Still, you live and you learn eh?

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he properly took the piss. Saying that, I'm up to £2k with the current artist, that's 4 sessions (2 x 4 hour, 2 x 8 hour), and booked in for hopefully the last session of another 4 to finish my elbow area, joining the upper and lower sleeve together. Doesn't count the 6 hours with a previous artist from years ago.

The first of the 8 hour sessions, think we had maybe 30 mins worth of breaks total. This time round we had more breaks as it was a bit more uncomfortable on my inner bicep, but still only maybe an hour Laughing

The fact that the design, drawing and prep is counted in the hours means it doesn't go quite as far, but without good prep, it's not going to be as good as it could be.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:35 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:
Wotcha,

I'd have said the artist in the OP was probably around about the right mark, assuming that the quality of their work is of a high standard.

I got my pants pulled down by a very reknowned artist, 2 year waiting list but got in on a cancellation, sent designs etc.

Long story short, that was £500 for the day, no mention of how many days it would take, so when we get to the end of day 1 (with them taking smoke breaks every 30 or so minutes) he says "ok I think we're done for the day, on the next session I'll add the hands in.

Anyways, fast forward a few months to the next session and he just does a second layer to the stuff he'd already done - dont get me wrong, it looked fucking boss. But no way was I going back for the second part of it to be done in another 2 sessions. So that was £1000 and to complete it would have been the same.

GhostRider

That sounds like a blatant rob, rather than an innocent failure to discuss the game plan. Was there absolutely no mention at all of how many hours were involved? Fucking bizarre if so.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:37 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Sounds like he properly took the piss. Saying that, I'm up to £2k with the current artist, that's 4 sessions (2 x 4 hour, 2 x 8 hour), and booked in for hopefully the last session of another 4 to finish my elbow area, joining the upper and lower sleeve together. Doesn't count the 6 hours with a previous artist from years ago.

The first of the 8 hour sessions, think we had maybe 30 mins worth of breaks total. This time round we had more breaks as it was a bit more uncomfortable on my inner bicep, but still only maybe an hour Laughing

The fact that the design, drawing and prep is counted in the hours means it doesn't go quite as far, but without good prep, it's not going to be as good as it could be.

I'm assuming the breaks weren't on your dime?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have a mental image of Ghostrider with his pants pulled down.
Wub Whistle Whistle
Shifty

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
GhostRider wrote:
Wotcha,

GhostRider

That sounds like a blatant rob, rather than an innocent failure to discuss the game plan. Was there absolutely no mention at all of how many hours were involved? Fucking bizarre if so.

Nada. Thing is I dont get why he felt he had to be a cunt about it in the first place, guys booked up for like 2 years, it ain't like he was short of change, if I hadn't taken the spot, someone else would have within the hour guaranteed.

Guy had fuck all personality either, seemed completely uninterested in the work.

Here's the kicker though, for as amazing as the tattoo looked when finished after the second session, fast forward 6-12months and its a shadow of its former self - a lesson I had to learn the hard way is that these hyper-realistic tattoos dont stand the test of time. The ultra fine lines and shading go to shit once the ink has diffused into the skin over time. So its my most expensive tattoo and it looks fucking shit. I asked other artists for their opinion on what went wrong with it, they asked me about my aftercare/sun exposure etc. I was like.....I paid £1000 for it, of course I'm gonna treat it better than I treat my own kids!! And besides, I've looked after all my other tattoos in the exact same fashion and they all look fresh as the day, so it ain't on me.

So now, you have to search for artists who showcase their work side by side from day it was done to 6+ months after its healed and see how it holds up. All well and good making it look sharp for the instagram photos, but if its going to go to shit in a few months then its a complete waste of time and money.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate has two sleeves, both of which are mostly black only and it's all turned to a mid-strength grey with a hint of mauve. The tattooist today said something about some people having a redness in their pigmentation that can cause it and he is, in fact, a ginger. But you're not.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

I'm assuming the breaks weren't on your dime?

30 mins of an 8 hour day were just as welcome for me as for him. Laughing

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:43 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 mins of an 8 hour day were just as welcome for me as for him. Laughing

I must have got lucky, not only is he a superb tattooist, he didn't count the prep or break times. Three hours actual tattooing yesterday (out of approx. four on the job), another two required to finish (three weeks from now). Smile

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:20 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still has all the white highlights, a bit more shading and the fingers and thumb to do. Very chuffed with it. Smile

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=102416

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:00 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

each to their own with tattoos and the like -

just remember that you will always get asked why you have it and/or what it means to you. so if you cant be arsed with that question for the rest of your life then i wouldnt get it.

todays society is far more accepting of tattoos than my parents (im 30), but i still wouldnt get visible tattoos whilst still in employment. whether you like it or not they are a negative in the professional environment. (unless you are a rapper or a footballer...).

personally i quite like the japanese businessmen who look 'plain' but then underneath they have full back pieces Very Happy

my 3/4 sleeve was done by a friend (who is currently an apprentice but not for much longer i suspect) who is shit hot at drawing. She has done a mint job, and its her first sleeve so its great advertisement for her. £180 a day too for her trust (Y). 4 days down 1 to go so £900 total for 5 days of 7 hours. (6 hours ish tattooing)

for people moaning about length of days etc its all artists discretion - would you want permanent inking off someone pushing themselves too hard? I found 6 hours (2x3 hour sessions) was perfect for me both pain wise (gets annoying after a while) and well for her as much longer would start hurting the wrists.

if you want to go for 8-12 hour sessions its your call

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/devast8-face-tatoo-man-no-work-new-zealand-mark-cropp-drunk-brother-home-made-alcohol-prison-two-a7840356.html

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
duhawkz wrote:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/devast8-face-tatoo-man-no-work-new-zealand-mark-cropp-drunk-brother-home-made-alcohol-prison-two-a7840356.html

Idiot

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
duhawkz wrote:

Tattoo ink was made by melting plastic utensils down and harvesting the soot. Sounds healthy!!

That same guy is now back in prison for beating up a pregnant girl. What a lovely fella
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4