Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Phone contracts.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Phone contracts. Reply with quote

My head hurts.

I have come to the end of my contract with EE.

I have a contract with 2 phones (mine and wifies) and a tablet with unlimited text and minutes & 4 GB shared data which is perfectly ample for us. Total cost£48 a month.

I went to get an upgrade and keep the contract going but was informed that they were not doing shared contracts any more but what they would do is give me a bit of discount off the new contracts.

OK, so costs.....

A new S10 for your wife Sir, £52 a month with 20GB data Shocked

For you Sir, how about a Pixel 3 for £44 a month and I'll discount the up front cost.

So from £48 a month to £96 a month, take a hike pal.

What can I do? SIM only contracts are about the same as I am paying now but no new phone and I don't want to fork out £700 for a phone for wifey when it isn't her birthday and she hasn't promised me a B... you know what.

I could just keep my old contract but I was paying for a Galaxy S7 for her on that so I begrudge carrying on paying it now the the phone is paid for.

Is there another company do a contract where I can have everything on one bill? I can't seem to find what I want.

Is it worth trying Carphone warehouse? Are they truly independent?

Suggestions please?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay £12 a month for unlimited calls/text and 4gb data sim only

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:

Who with and can you keep your old numbers?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:12 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sim only: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/plans/sim-only-deals

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
owl wrote:

Who with and can you keep your old numbers?

You can request your PAC and transfer your number to any provider any time as far as I know.

Both three mobile and giffgaff (o2 network) do the above deal for £12, if you take a longer terms like 24 months I think it drops down to about a tenner.

I only do sim only now days, purchase phones for cash. My missus on the other hand has only phone contracts as her company pays for it, she gets like 20GB or something ridiculous and new iPhone for like £65 a month or something.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Phone contracts. Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
What can I do? SIM only contracts are about the same as I am paying now but no new phone and I don't want to fork out £700 for a phone for wifey when it isn't her birthday and she hasn't promised me a B... you know what.

Chuffin' eck.

I bought (edit) my own phone, and pay £7.50 PCM to "Smarty" (piggybacking off Three) for 4GB/month plus unlimited texts and calls, monthly payment only, if I find a better deal I tell them bye bye and switch at the end of the month. If I don't use the 4GB of data, I get a refund on unused data, and as most of my data goes via my router, it costs me about £4/month for data when I need it plus unlimited calls/texts after the "unused data refund".

Even their unlimited everything data/txt/calls is only £25/pcm.

If your existing 'phone is yours and still does what you want it to do (I only use mine for browsing t' net/calls/texts), then anything like what you are being asked to pay is absolutely robbery with violence.

Edit: When you switch service provider, you can keep your old telephone number. As you have set up your 'phone yourself I assume and it has "evolved" to meet your requirements and what you are comfortable with, not needing to change that is also a huge boon.

Edit again after edits, my last SMS from Smarty (Thursday): "Hi Riejufixing, this is a quick note to confirm your payment for the Medium plan. You saved 3.7GB last month and that's £4.64 discounted from this month's bill!". So my unlimited txts/mins/bit of data cost me £7.5-£4.64. You can work it out, I have been at the cider. EDIT yet again, i think that's less than £3/month.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 00:05 - 30 May 2019; edited 3 times in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Also:

https://smarty.co.uk/

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife and I both have £11 a month SIM only contracts with EE, we each get unlimited minutes and texts, and 11GB of data each.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
The wife and I both have £11 a month SIM only contracts with EE, we each get unlimited minutes and texts, and 11GB of data each.

It’s always amusing hearing prices, according to their website the most £13 can get you is 250mb of data

https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-phones

So how did you end up getting that price?

I do believe you btw, just curious.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:37 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such prices are from old contracts people have got.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Such prices are from old contracts people have got.

So some companies do actually reward their long term customers?

I was with o2 for about 8 years and they just kept screwing me over more and more until I left.

So also fuck all use to new customers by the sounds of it then.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giff Gaff, £10 a month (each), unlimited calls/texts 3GB data but after you have reached month 3 they will give you an extra 1GB data free as well.

So to recap, 6GB data between the 2 of you, unlimited calls and texts and £10 each a month. Runs on the 02 network, no contract, free to port numbers, no contract so you can leave when you like. It's basically PAYG. Data speeds are fab now, they used to be a bit slow but that issue has been resolved.

https://www.giffgaff.com/

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you must have a contract that comes with a phone look at last year's model. There's usually a sweet spot when they try and clear out all the S9s (which are still pretty good phones) and get everyone on the S10s.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
If you must have a contract that comes with a phone look at last year's model. There's usually a sweet spot when they try and clear out all the S9s (which are still pretty good phones) and get everyone on the S10s.

What do you actually use a phone for? I use mine as a phone, to send texts, and to surf the web. Apart from that, nothing, so any phone that will do that is fine.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:29 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
So some companies do actually reward their long term customers?

I was with o2 for about 8 years and they just kept screwing me over more and more until I left.

So also fuck all use to new customers by the sounds of it then.

They reward you with the contract continuing.

I've had a contract with iD for two or three years and I've got twice as much data as people signing up now get. I've stayed with them for that amount of time as I still can't find a better deal elsewhere.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Note 8 I was both relieved and disappointed when the Note 9 came out, feck all difference. However, over the previous model, much cooler... as in not exploding in a ball of flame.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

It’s always amusing hearing prices, according to their website the most £13 can get you is 250mb of data

https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-phones

So how did you end up getting that price?

I do believe you btw, just curious.

Every time they write to say the prices are going up, we call and ask for cancellations. They try to offer more...

EE : How about 20GB data?
Me : How much did I use this month?
EE : 500Mb
Me : No thanks, but you can make it cheaper

There'll be a deal that they might have run as a one-off promotion on the system they can choose from. The deal might have expired, but someone high enough in retentions will have the ability to put you on it, or match it. Just be prepared to walk, and let them blink first.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say Vodafone have been pretty good to me over the years. Last phone I got they just went "we'll drop the up front cost and knock off 25% from the monthly as you're such a good customer" but then I have slung them ~£150 pm for the last 20 years.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Every time they write to say the prices are going up, we call and ask for cancellations. They try to offer more...

EE : How about 20GB data?
Me : How much did I use this month?
EE : 500Mb
Me : No thanks, but you can make it cheaper

There'll be a deal that they might have run as a one-off promotion on the system they can choose from. The deal might have expired, but someone high enough in retentions will have the ability to put you on it, or match it. Just be prepared to walk, and let them blink first.

Exactly what happened with me and o2, except they eventually just told me to jog on. Guessing it’s because I was only paying about £15 a month sim only, and they didn’t need/want my business anymore.

They wouldn’t match the deal I’m on now for £12 so I left, that was about 4 years ago.

The missus is still with them, they’re roaming access is atrocious and costs a small fortune depending where you go.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
owl wrote:

The missus is still with them, they’re roaming access is atrocious and costs a small fortune depending where you go.

Times have changed, your info is wrong for pay monthly customers.
They are owned by Telefonica, so I've always found coverage spot on in Spanish countries and Europe data roaming is included in most tariffs for free.

Cool story, but we were in the states (there's places outside of Europe believe it or not) a month ago and whilst my phone worked perfectly fine and free of charge, her data was slow AF obviously capped, and she got charged £5 a day for the privilege (well her company did).

She's on the top tier contract.

Try harder Tarquin
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

more bollocks

same phone dipshit

owl wrote:

they’re roaming access is atrocious and costs a small fortune depending where you go.

are you saying that places outside of Europe are not abroad?

I've highlighted the important bit for you duchess
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2