Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

We'll all be dead soon...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Islander wrote:
[
So, you're not going to admit you were wrong about plant respiration then?

Wrong about what? That in order to survive, a plant will consume more CO2 by photosynthesis than it will produce by respiration?

Must try harder Tarquin.

Actually, that's not what you said at all. Here, let me quote what you said back to you as you seem to have a somewhat impaired memory:

mpd72 wrote:
I suggest you look up the process of photosynthesis, before stabbing the keyboard anymore, you cocky twat.

Plants use CO2 during photosynthesis. They do not create CO2 during the process. No fresh supply of CO2, the plant dies.

Which they do, through respiration. So, are you going to acknowledge that you were wrong or just ignore it, try to distract from it or otherwise avoid it?

mpd72 wrote:
There’s no way they emit anyway near enough through respiration to make up for the amount they feed on to produce their energy,

You might want to read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compensation_point

See, it all depends on how much irradiation the plant leaf surface receive, which for an indoor plant kept in a sealed glass environment, will be much lower than one growing outdoors. It's by no means a clear cut case.

Also, I clearly stated and even emphasised by emboldening the text that there would be other sources of CO2 present in the closed environment.

mpd72 wrote:

It's looks pretty clearly stated to me and is perfectly factual unless you want to make a tit of yourself and try to argue otherwise?

It's not me that's making a 'tit' of myself - you really do need to learn to stop digging when you're at the bottom of a hole. Laughing Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another summer with lowest temps ever according to our resident expert

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/27/world/europe-heat-wave-spain-wildfire-intl/index.html

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
owl wrote:
Did it just liken TIME to the daily express? Wow, just wow.

I’ve stopped engaging with it, I’ve always been told not to argue with idiots.

Both produce exaggerated bullshit for the hard of thinking climate Libtard to lap up without question.
Every single "scientists say" climate fear prediction over the last 50 years has proven to be bullshit and way over exaggerated. This still doesn't stop the gullible lapping up today's Express Climate Fear stories being lapped up by the likes of a few on here.

See, you can't actually debate can you? It's always down to ad hominem attacks and dogma.

Are you actually scared of challenging your preconceptions and maybe learning something?

Oh and you STILL haven't responded to the data on warming and the CO2 curves from different parts of the planet that all coincide with that of Mauna Loa.

More avoidance? Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
It seems to me that you don't in fact understand how the warming mechanism works, because you refer to it as "data".

So. Please explain, even if in simplified terms, your understanding of how the warming mechanism actually works, to confirm the point.

Is this some advanced level trolling? Seems insulting to go "would you like me to explain it too you using small words?" Thinking

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
More avoidance? Laughing

Don't take it personally, everyone avoids the points I make too Rolling Eyes

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Islander wrote:
More avoidance? Laughing

Don't take it personally, everyone avoids the points I make too Rolling Eyes

I don't take it personally but it's fun calling him out on it Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
It seems to me that you don't in fact understand how the warming mechanism works, because you refer to it as "data".

So. Please explain, even if in simplified terms, your understanding of how the warming mechanism actually works, to confirm the point.

Is this some advanced level trolling? Seems insulting to go "would you like me to explain it too you using small words?" Thinking

Actually, Riejufixing was asking mdma to explain it - in simplified terms if he wants to Wink

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Actually, Riejufixing was asking mdma to explain it - in simplified terms if he wants to Wink

I was asking HarleyDavidson to explain the mechanism by which the greenhouse gas heating effect works, actually, to check that he knows, since hhe hasn't been at all forthcoming. Unfortunately, it seems he does not know.

Re "mdma", I think you mean an entity I've got killfiled, since I do not consider it fruitful of desirable to converse with him or even see his "posts". Doesn't stop him handing out "abusive" ratings, which is pretty blinking silly of him.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:11 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

inb4 abusive rating.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
inb4 abusive rating.

Not for that, surely? It would be pretty pitiful. Wouldn'tit?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Islander wrote:

I was asking HarleyDavidson to explain the mechanism by which the greenhouse gas heating effect works, actually, to check that he knows, since hhe hasn't been at all forthcoming. Unfortunately, it seems he does not know.

Re "mdma", I think you mean an entity I've got killfiled, since I do not consider it fruitful of desirable to converse with him or even see his "posts". Doesn't stop him handing out "abusive" ratings, which is pretty blinking silly of him.

Oops, sorry I got the message out of context Smile

Yep, that'll be mdma aka bnp72 Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
For me, it's not so much people taking themselves so seriously, as people's inability to have a constructive conversation with their differing views without getting all emotional and angry about it Laughing

I don't see anyone getting angry or emotional.

Are you?

Ste wrote:
inb4 abusive rating.

Whistle Just sayin'
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the basics are to do with radiation (not the nuclear kind, just radiant energy in general.) Different things (gases, dust, etc.) are better or worse at reflecting differing wavelengths (or types of radiant energy.)

Simple stuff: clouds, i.e. water vapour. If you have a lot of cloud cover a good chunk of the energy from the sun will get reflected back to the upper atmosphere. "But what about Venus? That's bloody hot, man, and very cloudy!" Okay, so maybe not "water" clouds on Venus but reflective clouds nonetheless but clouds reflect both ways, up or down, so they can also trap heat and Venus is very geologically active! So much so that the entire surface has reformed a good few times while on Earth that has probably only happened the once early in our planet's formation.

How about gases? Ozone's a nice easy one. O3 is basically an unstable form of the O2 we know and love and is made, in simple terms, high up in the atmosphere by exposing O2 to Ultraviolet radiation which is doubly ironic as the upper atmosphere is the first place that UV hits on its way from the Sun and O3 reflects UV.

"Surely some UV would be nice, I could do with a tan!" No, getting the full exposure of UV the Sun throws at us would be pretty deadly as in killing almost everything (you could go live in a cave if you like!) and on top of that you've got all that energy that was reflected now also heating up the planet. "Ozone layer depletion" was probably the first thing, when I was younger, ppl really went bat shit crazy about and with good reason!

"So what about these 'greenhouse' gases ppl talk about?"

Greenhouses are generally made of glass. Why is that? Glass lets in a good range of the energy in sunlight but traps some of that energy so it can't get back out. Bear this in mind...

Imagine it's a bright sunny day and the ground is soaking up the heat. Some of the energy will be radiated back obviously not as visible light but infra red. CO2 and Methane (CH4 or "cow farts") are good at letting sunlight get to the ground but reflect back infra red. So a bit like the glass in your greenhouse.

Now the thing that's really kewl (definitely not "cool" as that would be a pun too far!) is that we need the clouds and dust and CO2 and so on to do its job and trap some heat for us. Without it the planet would mostly be in a permanent ice age Sad

The tricky bit though - which keeps all of the scientists knee-deep in hookers and grant money - is what happens if you fuck up this system? If we carry on chucking CO2 (Methane is much, much worse!) into the atmosphere surely things might get a bit too hot! Then the weather starts getting a bit iffy and it all goes in a vicious circle until we end up coveting the last of the V8 Interceptors.

However, you could probably find some trick-cyclist who will say "but ice caps melting is a good thing!" WTF, man, really?! "Yeah, it'll be cool - literally - 'cos they'll be more water vapour and that'll reflect some heat!" Okay... err... that sounds plausible. So we should, like, carry on just as we are? "Definitely, it'll all be fine..."

tl;dr If you skipped to here you're probably a fan of Trump, move along...

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:38 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pssst: Venus is closer to the Sun and therefore hotter. Just saying..

The answer to global warming is to cover the planet in aluminium foil (shiny side up) and it will reflect things..

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

The answer to global warming is to cover the planet in aluminium foil (shiny side up) and it will reflect things..

Venus is in the 'goldilocks zone' - the region around the Sun where insolation is 'just right' and has the potential to be habitable. Unfortunately, its atmosphere is in a runaway greenhouse effect and is largely CO2 which traps the heat produced both by insolation and by internal core heating.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:23 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Herp derp... venus is closer to the sun... herp derp! Sheesh. Your lack of understanding drips from every pore.

What Hardly wrote about global warming look suspiciously like a copypasta to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Islander wrote:

Venus is in the 'goldilocks zone' - the region around the Sun where insolation is 'just right' and has the potential to be habitable. Unfortunately, its atmosphere is in a runaway greenhouse effect and is largely CO2 which traps the heat produced both by insolation and by internal core heating.

If only they all drove electric cars on Venus eh?

Can I assume that you don't have a reasoned argument to respond to the warming data I posted or the atmopheric CO2 levels from worldwide observatories then?

Still waiting... Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
What Hardly wrote about global warming look suspiciously like a copypasta to me.

Good luck finding all that on the Interwebs, all my own work, soz!

If you really want me to explain everything I know about Venus I can do; I just wanted to throw in one aspect that was relevant to the topic at hand...

You want moar thread drift?!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s fine guys, just a normal cooler than ever summer as usual as per our resident expert Thumbs Up

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/28/france-on-red-alert-as-heatwave-forecast-to-reach-record-45c

I mean at least some people’s heads will be cool, buried in all that sand or up their own arses Laughing

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:13 - 29 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venus is a lot closer to earth and its atmosphere is primarily CO2. I don't understand its relevance here at all. It's also over 400 degrees C, and that's on a cold day.

Also, small point of order - greenhouse gases don't reflect heat, they store it via resonance. Infrared energy is similar to the resonance frequency of CO2, which means simply the CO2 vibrates more than other molecules when heated, and the heat is stored in those vibrations.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 29 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Venus is a lot closer to earth and its atmosphere is primarily CO2. I don't understand its relevance here at all. It's also over 400 degrees C, and that's on a cold day.

Also, small point of order - greenhouse gases don't reflect heat, they store it via resonance. Infrared energy is similar to the resonance frequency of CO2, which means simply the CO2 vibrates more than other molecules when heated, and the heat is stored in those vibrations.

Venus has clouds... surely all the heat would be reflected away some might say which segwayed nicely into my final point. It's 400ºC now but it wasn't always that way. Surely an apt warning of things to come.

Fair enough on the way CO2 traps heat but we don't want to lose too many people in the explanation Smile

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 29 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Venus has clouds... surely all the heat would be reflected away some might say which segwayed nicely into my final point. It's 400ºC now but it wasn't always that way. Surely an apt warning of things to come.

Fair enough on the way CO2 traps heat but we don't want to lose too many people in the explanation Smile

Venus has clouds, yes - of sulfuric acid and a very high albedo (0.75 compared to the Moon's 0.15) as evidenced by its appearance in our night sky. Its atmosphere is approx 96.5% CO2 with a surface pressure of 9.3MPa compared to Earth's 0.1MPa - much higher density. It has no liquid water and hence, no tectonics. Surface temperature is approx 460C.

It may have been Earth-like once but that would only have lasted for a very short time after the initial formation and bombarment. It hasn't had liquid water for approx 4 billion years.

It's a lot different to Earth and really not comparable in terms of process.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 29 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

You should buy the Express. Their bullshit shock weather stories are perfect for you.

It’s sumner, it’s supposed to be hot somewhere in the northern hemisphere.

Since you've still not seen fit to respond despite multiple requests to do so, I can only assume that you don't have a reasoned argument to respond to the warming data I posted or the atmopheric CO2 levels from worldwide observatories - that you were, in fact, proved wrong by them but aren't able to say so for reasons of pride or just plain stubborn dogma.

Of course you might still respond... Not that I'm holding my breath. Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21