BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clamped bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

big d
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:26 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Clamped bike Reply with quote

I’ve come home today to find my bike has been clamped by the DVLA and I believe this has been done unlawfully, if anybody can confirm or help to clarify if what I believe is true this would be great.

So the vehicle is currently SORN and is off the road, it is on the pavement outside my house but has been covered ensuring that the number plate is not visible, it is on the footpath however it is position not to obstruct, now from what I recall the dvla are not allowed to remove or tamper with any covering to reveal a number plate in order to manufacture grounds for clamping which they have done.

Any help would be great, also to add this has also been done do a neighbor a few doors down who is in the exact same situation as I am, Thanks, Dan

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:28 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Clamped bike Reply with quote

big d wrote:
I’ve come home today to find my bike has been clamped by the DVLA and I believe this has been done unlawfully, if anybody can confirm or help to clarify if what I believe is true this would be great.

So the vehicle is currently SORN and is off the road, it is on the pavement outside my house but has been covered ensuring that the number plate is not visible, it is on the footpath however it is position not to obstruct, now from what I recall the dvla are not allowed to remove or tamper with any covering to reveal a number plate in order to manufacture grounds for clamping which they have done.

Any help would be great, also to add this has also been done do a neighbor a few doors down who is in the exact same situation as I am, Thanks, Dan

So you left an unlicenced bike on the highway?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:33 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"which they have done"

How do you know that?

big d
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:39 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"which they have done"

How do you know that?

Maybe I should edit to say “I have strong reason to believe they have done” Laughing

The cover I use has clips on the rear which go through the wheel and also was bungeed around the rear end in order to ensure the cover doesn’t flap around and is nice and snug, now it’s very unlikely that these would have coincidentally come undone today

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:56 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think it was the DVLA clamping person rather than the person who reported your untaxed bike parked on the pavement?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:59 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highway extends to the boundry with the adjacent landowner.

So for streets with a pavement, where the pavement meets the boundry of the premesis adjacent to the road. On a country troad, to where the verge meets the field boundry.

So it sounds like you've been keeping a SORN vehicle on the highway.

I got fined for having an unsorned vehicle fully dismantled in my shed.

However, for shits and giggles and on the assumption they have chained it through a wheel, see how cheaply you can get a wheel and tyre off ebay. Undo wheel, slide wheel and clamp out of the way, change disc over and put the bike somewhere it's NOT on the highway.

You're not allowed to tamper with a clamp but you're allowed to strip your bike. I bet you can get a wheel with a tyre on cheaper than the "release fee". You'll still be looking at a potential prosecution for keeping a SORN vehicle on the highway but you won't have to pay the pikeys who drive round clamping things a fee.

I'd make sure a mate is on hand to video it though. Firstly to ensure said pikeys don't try to kick the shit out of you and secondly to prove you didn't tamper with, damage or steal their clamp.

https://youtu.be/0QkM-dWAXOs

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely any authority would leave a calling card to let you know who they were, why they'd clamped the bike and what happens next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite lucky: I've got a patch of grass outside my house and it's owned by the council. Had a SORN old Golf sat out there for a year or so and the DVLA couldn't touch it Smile The council kept coming around and muttering about it but they never got around to being legally shirty before I scrapped it.

Does it have any markings or contact numbers on the clamp? Are you sure it's the DVLA? They usually slap a sticker on as well to make things clear.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think yourself lucky as..

Quote:
You can cover the vehicle, but the cover must make the vehicle's registration number visible. Few bike covers do this, by the way. Technically, to cover your number plate when it is parked on a public road is an offence under S43(1) of Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994.

Also ..

Quote:
There is no such law stating that parking attendants or traffic wardens cannot tamper with your vehicle. ... You can cover the vehicle, but the cover must make the vehicle's registration number visible. Few bike covers do this, by the way.

So, not only are you commiting an offence keeping sorn'd vehicle on the public highway, but, also commiting an offence hiding your registration plate..

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:29 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big d head by the sounds of it Laughing

Why would you do that, thats [previous nutter members] ideology.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it also uninsured and lacking an MOT? If so there's offences for both of those too.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
I'm quite lucky chavvy: I've got a patch of grass outside my house and it's owned by the council. Had a (derelict car) sat out there for a year... (next to an old sofa.)

FTFY.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:
I'm quite lucky chavvy: I've got a patch of grass outside my house and it's owned by the council. Had a (derelict car) sat out there for a year... (next to an old sofa.)

FTFY.

Thanx! Yes, I'm a walking cliché Rolling Eyes

Interesting though about bike cover and number plates. Glad I keep my bikes in the front garden.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the front end dismantled perchance?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I'm reminded of Arcane leaving bike bits outside then moaning when the council took them away.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:

There's a thought: at what point do you have a bike on a public highway.

Obvious: bike minus number plate = illegal

Not so obvious: frame (with VIN) but no matching engine or number plate = rubbish?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
owl wrote:

Not so obvious: frame (with VIN) but no matching engine or number plate = rubbish?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=318572

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Thread of glory.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:57 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you near London i wouldn't worry im sure the moped boys will still be able to nick it even with a clamp on.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:12 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
owl wrote:

There is, as it happens, a stricy definition of "Motor Vehicle" in the interpretation section of the RTA. Don't know how far that aspect has been pushed.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Clamped bike Reply with quote

big d wrote:
So the vehicle is currently SORN and is off the road

big d wrote:
it is on the pavement outside my house

Laughing

Silly boy.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Clamped bike Reply with quote

big d wrote:

Sorry Big D, I think you are bang-to-rights here. As has already been pointed out ad-nauseam:

1) The pavement is part of the highway
2) The number plate should not have been covered, as it's parked on the highway (see point 1)

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:31 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Clamped bike Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

2) The number plate should not have been covered, as it's parked on the highway (see point 1)

Arent BIB actively encouraging you nowadays to cover your bike up so it dont get nicked?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:34 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely, the cheapo cover that I got from lidl has a clear window at the rear....

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:50 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recon it’s one of your neighbours dobbing you in!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2