Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Politics career path

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Politics career path Reply with quote

Should there be a standardised career path before someone is allowed to stand for election as an MP of any persuasion?
I'm thinking study in political 'sciences', and maybe economics and political history, then working in a 'normal' job, then time served in the civil service, maybe with a requirement to achieve a certain level, before you can even be considered as a candidate for any political office?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Politics career path Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
Should there be a standardised career path before someone is allowed to stand for election as an MP of any persuasion?
I'm thinking study in political 'sciences', and maybe economics and political history, then working in a 'normal' job, then time served in the civil service, maybe with a requirement to achieve a certain level, before you can even be considered as a candidate for any political office?

Economics would be good as they don't seem to be able to balance the books, but in the end they do what ever they can to stay in power......

Gordon Brown selling the gold reserves for peanuts to get Blair re elected springs to mind.

Remember, it isn't their money they are spending.

Other than that, yes, but David Lammy went to law school, university etc. and he's still an idiot who can't tell the difference between right and wrong when a black person is involved.

They will never change.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Cynicism Gold Medal Award of the Day today goes to Polarbear, who is unlikely to be surpassed, and it's not even lunchtime yet Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Cynicism Gold Medal Award of the Day today goes to Polarbear, who is unlikely to be surpassed, and it's not even lunchtime yet Laughing

True Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
May had a job in the real world and she's been the worst leader in living memory, even worse than Blair, Brown and Major.

To be fair, it was rather a poisoned chalice! How many stepped up when Cameron ran off? Now she's taken all the flak there are a dozen Tory chancers wanting to step in to No. 10 at the last minute. That's probably more a reflection of how weak the party is, with no obvious leading candidates.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
May had a job in the real world and she's been the worst leader in living memory, even worse than Blair, Brown and Major.

To be fair, it was rather a poisoned chalice! How many stepped up when Cameron ran off? Now she's taken all the flak there are a dozen Tory chancers wanting to step in to No. 10 at the last minute. That's probably more a reflection of how weak the party is, with no obvious leading candidates.

I have to agree.

Like her or not she at least she had a bit of dignity and conscience.

I disagreed with her deal, as did most of parliament but they couldn't deliver anything either.

I still think it's a poised chalice though, nothings been decided except Farage is poised to throw a very big spanner in the works unless they can get their voters back on side.

The only way to do that IMO is to be a hard line leave party and try and outdo TBP. Lib dems have got the remain shout. Labour are inspecting their arse for Jewish infiltrators and that new bunch are dead in the water.

Interesting times.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

My biggest gripe is...

I've found a couple of threads on the forum you haven't mentioned it in, if you'd like me to point them out to you? Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH it sounds like you're putting forward some vague notion of a meritocracy. Can't see how you could sell that Sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
TBH it sounds like you're putting forward some vague notion of a meritocracy. Can't see how you could sell that Sad

Yeah, you're probably right. We should probably just stick to our vague notion of democracy Laughing

Watch out Polarbear, I might be after your cynicism award Mr. Green

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:11 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

She was already a home office muppet before she took that chalice.

This former brexit minister said we had been offered a better deal by the EU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6pwZ1saqBc

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the ironic thing is that most involved in Politics seem to have a PPE degree, as they think it stands them in better stead.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far better that anyone standing for any public office be screened for the psychopath genes and psychologically screened for sociopathy. That would be most tory MPs barred from office.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Far better that anyone standing for any public office be screened for the psychopath genes and psychologically screened for sociopathy. That would be most tory MPs barred from office.

Would that be an 'independent' screening?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What concerns me more than anyones paper qualifications is their post political career appointments to the boards of directors of private companies. Its a kind of corruption after the fact. I think going into business appointments after being a cabinet minister should be banned.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Psychopaths are multi-party really. The political world in if itself is attractive to Psychopaths regardless.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Would that be an 'independent' screening?

ATOS would be entirely appropriate for any scumbag wanting to join the tory party.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Psychopaths are multi-party really. The political world in if itself is attractive to Psychopaths regardless.

But most of them can see where they'd best flourish. Hence why the tories have nearly all of the filth.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

But most of them can see where they'd best flourish. Hence why the tories have nearly all of the filth.

They flourish because wanna-be Psychopaths tendencies are towards voting to the right.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:11 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Politics career path Reply with quote

A couple of my mates went for Civil Service selection.

They said it was absurd, more like a test of how well you can defend indefensible views. They had to perform tasks like, "Skim read this 20 page report then present an argument for the side of the debate that you have been assigned."

I can understand in a way, because the job is to work on behalf of your government, no matter which government is in charge, so you may sometimes need to do things you don't agree with.

Not sure if these are useful traits for representing the democratic will of the people though!

Also, suggesting a 'standardised career path' to make sure political candidates are up to par, sounds like something rather close to what they already have over here in chinachinachina! Commie! Wink

I generally agree with your point though - political candidates need to be far more than a pretty face or smooth talker. One of my mates bases all his political opinions on how well a politician can orate or "hold their own" in parliament, as if dishing out good insults without "getting triggered" is a prime quality that everyone should vote for. It's absurd. Politicians need credentials and experience and a proven/verifiable ability to do the job. Everything else is arbitrary.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Politics career path Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

A couple of my mates went for Civil Service selection.

They said it was absurd, more like a test of how well you can defend indefensible views. They had to perform tasks like, "Skim read this 20 page report then present an argument for the side of the debate that you have been assigned."

I can understand in a way, because the job is to work on behalf of your government, no matter which government is in charge, so you may sometimes need to do things you don't agree with.

Not sure if these are useful traits for representing the democratic will of the people though!

I couldn't possibly judge whether the civil service is a correct part of such a career path by that alone, but I was thinking along the lines of it might be useful for politicians to have a firm grasp of the mechanism of day-to-day government.

Quote:
Also, suggesting a 'standardised career path' to make sure political candidates are up to par, sounds like something rather close to what they already have over here in chinachinachina! Commie! Wink

I know, shocking isn't it? Laughing

Quote:
I generally agree with your point though

Well, I didn't suppose that I would be the one to come up with how they should actually progress to holding political office, but something definitely seems to be lacking in background and ability with many of them these days. I just think that it ought to be like any other career in the sense that you can't get to the top unless you have shown some level of competence and understanding first. Feel free to suggest anything else this should consist of Smile

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Politics career path Reply with quote

Feel free to suggest anything else this should consist of Smile

I think a good start would be to drastically remould two things:

1. Mainstream media
2. Mainstream education

1 - Media fills people's minds with utter shit, it dumbs them down and literally 'trigger's everyone into all sorts of wild ideas. A proper press standards agency, where common sense and realistic journalism is enforced, would be good for keeping the masses informed and rational. As things stand, every single newspaper is nothing more than a magazine aimed at getting sales. This needs to be fixed.

2- Education is where humans are grown into adults, so it stands to reason that this is one area that is woefully neglected in recent years. All sorts of things could be improved. Two areas that stand out to me would be discipline of students, and proper funding of schools/teachers. 'Austerity' simply isn't an excuse any more, the state of UK education is deliberate neglect at this point.

By doing this, the population would grow up healthier and more capable of making political decisions, and would naturally vote for people with the kind of credentials you mentioned.

Basically my theory is that a well-rounded populace will vote for well-rounded people.

National service of some kind would be good too. It would instil an understanding of authority, hierarchy and meritocracy, with a respect for those with superior knowledge or experience.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Politics career path Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

National service of some kind would be good too. It would instil an understanding of authority, hierarchy and meritocracy, with a respect for those with superior knowledge or experience.

I can't help but think of education as some kind of essential national service anyway. Schools, colleges and universities are where all the traits we might gain from national service could be instilled, and you are right, we need to make more of it, but you are addressing a much wider set of problems it seems to me.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess I am. I was trying to think of a way to approach it without necessarily changing the way politics fundamentally functions in the UK.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2